Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: You Gotta Move - what are people's thoughts?
Date: October 1, 2014 10:51

swiss
Rockman
I wonder whether the deep appreciation of this song is experienced more by non-Americans than Americans...?

No I don't believe so swiss .,... plus bare in mind that most people including Americans wouldn't have had a clue who Fred McDowell was if it wasn't for the Stones ....

That's true - many wouldn't. What I mean, more, is --whether or not an American listens to or is
into-- the blues, it does arise from American black culture, and it's (a sociologist or
ethnomusicologist could say this better) part of the sounds we hear, black American English,
a sense of how black people talk, sing, and have been characterized positively and negatively
over time. Just sort of blues, and what it arose from, absorbed through osmosis, even if
you're not that into it. As such, nuances in the way Mick is singing may not be experienced in the
same way by a non-American as an American. Mick's voice in Gotta Move sounds/feels to me
like it's approaching parody. (checked the definition of parody to make sure it was the mot juste,
and it is: "an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate
exaggeration for comic effect." )

It's both a homage and a parody, imo. In Gimme Shelter, you can clearly see Mick laugh of one of his phrases in You Gotta Move.

However, he probably wouldn't have put on that accent, nor the deep voice, if he didn't think it was cool.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: October 1, 2014 10:56

DandelionPowderman
swiss
Rockman
I wonder whether the deep appreciation of this song is experienced more by non-Americans than Americans...?

No I don't believe so swiss .,... plus bare in mind that most people including Americans wouldn't have had a clue who Fred McDowell was if it wasn't for the Stones ....

That's true - many wouldn't. What I mean, more, is --whether or not an American listens to or is
into-- the blues, it does arise from American black culture, and it's (a sociologist or
ethnomusicologist could say this better) part of the sounds we hear, black American English,
a sense of how black people talk, sing, and have been characterized positively and negatively
over time. Just sort of blues, and what it arose from, absorbed through osmosis, even if
you're not that into it. As such, nuances in the way Mick is singing may not be experienced in the
same way by a non-American as an American. Mick's voice in Gotta Move sounds/feels to me
like it's approaching parody. (checked the definition of parody to make sure it was the mot juste,
and it is: "an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate

It's both a homage and a parody, imo. In Gimme Shelter, you can clearly see Mick laugh of one of his phrases in You Gotta Move.

However, he probably wouldn't have put on that accent, nor the deep voice, if he didn't think it was cool.

Well...what's "cool," tho? winking smiley That is the question.

Clearly he thought it sounded cool. But is it "cool" to imitate someone to the point of parody?
That interpretation may differ by culture, I'm saying. To me, what Mick does in this song, with
that affected voice, is a little embarrassing/cringe-worthy.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 1, 2014 11:09

Why am I not hearing what you're all hearing? confused smiley

Date: October 1, 2014 11:43

swiss
DandelionPowderman
swiss
Rockman

Well...what's "cool," tho? winking smiley That is the question.

Clearly he thought it sounded cool. But is it "cool" to imitate someone to the point of parody?
That interpretation may differ by culture, I'm saying. To me, what Mick does in this song, with
that affected voice, is a little embarrassing/cringe-worthy.

I don't necessarily disagree, but there is something very authentic-sounding with the whole backing track on You Gotta Move. There is a possibility that "regular" singing could have destroyed that.

Then again, Mick made an art of singing with an affected voice throughout the 70s grinning smiley

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: October 1, 2014 12:04

It's a great track, which hipped many to the Arhoolie record label.

Keith and Mick would have known about Arhoolie via Ry Cooder, but contemporaneous UK artists at the time were also hip to Arhoolie, i.e. Nick Lowe, Richard Thompson.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 1, 2014 15:04

I don't hear the parody thing. What I hear is 100% Jagger respectfully putting his own stamp on the blues. Jagger clearly feels the aura of Muscle Shoals but doesn't give up his young English rocker's attitude. While handling perfectly the timing & phrasing of the great blues singers, he doesn't try to reproduce a black timbre. And this is a big sign of character.

Just think of the white singers who always feel the need to growl when singing the blues, so to speak, and you get my point.

I also don't agree with those who say that the stones didn't make You Got to move their own song.

They did so, as always, in a very subtle way. With the acoustic guitar very upfront and no electric bass, it sounds so reassuringly "traditional", but if you listen well it is a modern electric blues, with the Stones guitar section in top form. The slide line has a couple of notes that are unique. Taylor's guitarwork is absolutely superb. I've said of the vocals.

Isn't this the recipe of so many many Stones hits?

C

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 1, 2014 15:10

Aquamarine

earwax buildup?

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: October 1, 2014 17:33

DandelionPowderman
stanlove
Sticky Fingers version is awful. Right up there with Country Honk or Let It Bleeds Love in Vain.. Just awful recordings. Total filler.

The Live Version is great.

Love In Vain is an "awful recording"??

It's probably one of the best recordings they ever cut - when it comes to sound, dynamics as well as crossing genres. One of Keith's finest guitar tracks ever, imo.

Out of curiousity, what is it that you don't like about Love In Vain?

The Live Version which I agree is one of the best recordings ever for them, makes the Album version seem awful. They should have done a much better job..

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 1, 2014 18:17

liddas
I don't hear the parody thing. What I hear is 100% Jagger respectfully putting his own stamp on the blues. Jagger clearly feels the aura of Muscle Shoals but doesn't give up his young English rocker's attitude. While handling perfectly the timing & phrasing of the great blues singers, he doesn't try to reproduce a black timbre. And this is a big sign of character.

C

It's that moment in Gimme Shelter where a tipsy Mick sings "You gawt tea mooo".

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 2, 2014 06:23

liddas
The slide line has a couple of notes that are unique.

A couple of notes does not make it their own, imho. If they took it somewhere totally different like Love in Vain I would have enjoyed it more. peace

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 2, 2014 09:18

treaclefingers
Aquamarine

earwax buildup?

What?

Date: October 2, 2014 09:41

stanlove
DandelionPowderman
stanlove
Sticky Fingers version is awful. Right up there with Country Honk or Let It Bleeds Love in Vain.. Just awful recordings. Total filler.

It's probably one of the best recordings they ever cut - when it comes to sound, dynamics as well as crossing genres. One of Keith's finest guitar tracks ever, imo.

The Live Version which I agree is one of the best recordings ever for them, makes the Album version seem awful. They should have done a much better job..

I love the studio version the most. Which live version did you have in mind?

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 2, 2014 11:02

DandelionPowderman
stanlove
DandelionPowderman
stanlove

...I'm sure we're all talking 'bout their version on the "Love You Live" double-album from '76-'77.

Date: October 2, 2014 11:14

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
stanlove
DandelionPowderman
stanlove

...I'm sure we're all talking 'bout their version on the "Love You Live" double-album from '76-'77.

No, he's talking about Love In Vain here. I just wondered why he found the studio version poor, as well as which live version he was referring to...

My favourite of the four officially released Love In Vain-versions is the studio version, with Live In Texas as a close second. All are good, though.

Date: October 2, 2014 11:17

But what do we think of the fourth officially released version of You Gotta Move - from LA Friday? It falls apart smiling smiley Now we'll get a fifth version, from July 11.

I like all of them, but the Ya Yas Deluxe-version has grown on me. I like Keith's dobro playing and Mick's vocals on it.

1969: The official Ya Yas-version

1971: The studio-version

1975: The official LA Friday-version
(On the 32:25 mark)

1975: The July 11-version we'll soon get in excellent quality

1976: The official Love You Live-version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-02 13:07 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 2, 2014 13:30

The version of the 11th is simply great and far above the messy one from the 13th. There Mick misses repeatedly the right entry. Ronnie saves the mess from a desaster by his great guitar licks especially at the end.

Date: October 2, 2014 13:36

RobertJohnson
The version of the 11th is simply great and far above the messy one from the 13th. There Mick misses repeatedly the right entry. Ronnie saves the mess from a desaster by his great guitar licks especially at the end.

Agreed.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 14:13

Love in Vain i really like the ramshackle (at the beginning) version on Stripped and totally dig the Love you live version of You gotta movehot smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 2, 2014 14:27

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
stanlove
DandelionPowderman
stanlove

No, he's talking about Love In Vain here.

...You're right. My bad!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 2, 2014 17:59

Love In Vain from GYYYO! is supreme to the studio LP version. The LIVE IN TEXAS version is pretty good. A bit more of a party spirit, more like being in a bar, a bit more Chicago blues, with some romp to it.

You Gotta Move from LYL is supreme to the studio version as well. It may be impossible to prove if it's filler on STICKY FINGERS considering what they didn't put on the LP. I think when they do something along the lines of these tunes (or otherwise, like Fingerprint File, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, Down In A Hole, Too Much Blood) it's because it's something they wanted to do that is a bit off kilter, etc.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: October 2, 2014 18:51

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
stanlove
DandelionPowderman
stanlove

No, he's talking about Love In Vain here. I just wondered why he found the studio version poor, as well as which live version he was referring to...

My favourite of the four officially released Love In Vain-versions is the studio version, with Live In Texas as a close second. All are good, though.

Emotional attachment? Seems busy to me, too many key things going on and Ronnie Wood doesn't even make the train sound! I prefer the L&G version, myself. Could be emotional, but I like the buildup better and the slide playing. Plus, Nicky Hopkins.

As far as You Gotta Move, I like it, it adds a dirty element to Sticky Fingers. I'm an American and I don't see it as embarressing and neither do the African American Stones fans I know. It's music, and it's Mick Jagger, he does what he wants.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 2, 2014 19:53

andrewt
liddas

C

thumbs up Now I can't get 'You Got To Moo' out of my head. I'll never listen to it the same way again.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: October 2, 2014 20:46

Sorry, worst track on the album for me.

Pete.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: October 2, 2014 20:53

You Gotta Move naturally led to Let It Loose.

Date: October 2, 2014 23:08

belld
You Gotta Move naturally led to Let It Loose.

Because??

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: October 2, 2014 23:17

24FPS
andrewt
liddas

C

thumbs up Now I can't get 'You Got To Moo' out of my head. I'll never listen to it the same way again.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:01

Maybe a bit of filler or maybe they really liked it? They seem to do an awful lot of jamming and maybe this one just did it for them at the time? They did start out as a blues band and they've always revered Muddy so....???

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: October 3, 2014 00:32

Thanks for that man. Don't have the delux so that was a treat.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: October 3, 2014 01:00

RollingFreak
Just listened to Sticky Fingers in full, which is always a lot of fun. But it got me thinking about something. If there was ever a problem I've had with that album, its been with You Gotta Move.

I always find myself wondering if I like the song. I used to think it was the only flaw of the record, and kills what is a stunning album. Its maybe whats always prevented it from beating Let It Bleed in my mind, which has Country Honk but I've always seemed to be able to get on board with that one. Another opinion about the song that has grown on me is I guess its the only real "roots" song on the record, surrounded by blockbuster tracks and hard rock mainstream songs that the public would love. And in that respect, it kind of makes it a bit more admirable they included it, knowing that it would probably be the gem of the record.

What are people's thoughts about it? I've come around to it, although I still wouldn't be upset if it was deleted from the record. Just never truly fit for me, but I wonder how many would say "how can you not like that song but like The Stones?! That song alone is what they are all about".

......"and kills what is a stunning album" ???
What exactly do you mean by kills what is a stunning album.
You Gotta Move is Kick F'ing A !!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 3, 2014 02:39

2120Wolf
RollingFreak
Just listened to Sticky Fingers in full, which is always a lot of fun. But it got me thinking about something. If there was ever a problem I've had with that album, its been with You Gotta Move.

I always find myself wondering if I like the song. I used to think it was the only flaw of the record, and kills what is a stunning album. Its maybe whats always prevented it from beating Let It Bleed in my mind, which has Country Honk but I've always seemed to be able to get on board with that one. Another opinion about the song that has grown on me is I guess its the only real "roots" song on the record, surrounded by blockbuster tracks and hard rock mainstream songs that the public would love. And in that respect, it kind of makes it a bit more admirable they included it, knowing that it would probably be the gem of the record.

What are people's thoughts about it? I've come around to it, although I still wouldn't be upset if it was deleted from the record. Just never truly fit for me, but I wonder how many would say "how can you not like that song but like The Stones?! That song alone is what they are all about".

......"and kills what is a stunning album" ???
What exactly do you mean by kills what is a stunning album.
You Gotta Move is Kick F'ing A !!!

That's way overboard to say it 'kills' Sticky Fingers. I think as a light salad to clear the palette for side 2 after the ass kicking great music of side 1. If it's on CD I admit going past it to get to Bitch. It's definitely not on the high level of the rest of the album, but it ain't nothing. They kind of did the same thing with Lies on Some Girls, ending Side 1 on a minor note, though You Got to Moo (which I will now call it) is better than Lies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home