Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Gram Parsons 41 Years Gone
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 21, 2014 19:18

September 19, 1973.

His work remains timeless.

RIP Grievous Angel.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Re: OT Gram Parsons 41 Years Gone
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 21, 2014 20:03

Gram discussions on IORR are interesting, and there are a lot of people who view him as a great singer /songwriter (me included).

there's certainly a case to be made for the view that he attached himself to Keith, quit the Byrds and was selfish and unprofessional, in addition to being uneven and inconsistent as a performer and artist.

I found it surprising that people thought that way of GP. Also his influence on Keith and the Stones is in their view, negligible.

I just dig his work and the influence he had on roots and country music, he undoubtedly added to it and broadened it.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 21, 2014 23:47

Sad, and even at a younger age than the other champion in our time, Hank Williams...

2 1 2 0

Date: September 22, 2014 00:13

It does sound like his voice singing back up on Sweet Virginia. He was there so its entirely possible.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 22, 2014 00:15

41 Years, really unbelievable

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: September 22, 2014 00:44

Those two albums - God, they are amazing

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2014 00:48

BitchKeepsBitchin
It does sound like his voice singing back up on Sweet Virginia. He was there so its entirely possible.

Except that according to Tarlé Mick made sure GP never entered the basement. At Nellcote GP was accepted as a guest, not as an extra musician.

Date: September 22, 2014 01:24

thanks dcba, did Tarle write about it in a book? I haven't heard this.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: September 22, 2014 01:30

Gram was very important to Keith during the time they spent together, as he could provide Keith with the ways and means to tackle the Country music that Keith loved so much-- Grams work with the Byrds, Burrito's, and Emmy Lou cannot be discounted-- he certainly wasn't the most important artist of that genre to emerge, but he left his mark, influenced countless artists, and that in itself is worthy.
Gram, I raise a pint in your honor !

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: September 22, 2014 03:19

I'm a fan pf Parsons' music, but I think he gets far too much credit for the whole country-rock thing. Sweetheart and the first two Burrito records are just as much Chris Hillman's as Parsons', probably more so (McGuinn is no fan/champion of country music even though he had one of the best guitarist of that genre playing with him). Hillman even had to fire him from the Burritos.

Others that were doing what Parsons did, but don't get enough credit, include:
Mike Nesmith, CHris Hillman, Rick Nelson, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, the Dillards, Gene Clark, Steve Stills (Manassas), Poco.

Unfortunatly Gram's association with Keith kinda trumps eveything to some poeple.
I've played a few of those Gram Fests so don't throw stones (pun intended).
I am, actually, a fan.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 23, 2014 00:01

dcba
BitchKeepsBitchin

Except that according to Tarlé Mick made sure GP never entered the basement. At Nellcote GP was accepted as a guest, not as an extra musician.

Yeah but there are stories of background vocals being recorded from the kitchen and I'm sure they had some long mic cables for the Exile sessions. These days most recording studios, like Skywalker Sound for instance, have microphone XLR panels built into the bathrooms and about every other room.

Besides Mick was absent for a lot of the recording. peace

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 23, 2014 00:09

TOMK, couldn't agree more with your FACTS.

Gram had talent but little discipline and he was nowhere close to the legacy of Hank Williams.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 23, 2014 02:36

Other than a slight and temporary influence (that was good) he had over Keith musically I don't get Gram. I bought a two pack of his work ten years ago and one was Grievous Angel. I gave them away to the local hock shop.
Was a a terrible thing to waste a life so young though.

Date: September 23, 2014 04:42

Naturalust
dcba
BitchKeepsBitchin

Yeah but there are stories of background vocals being recorded from the kitchen and I'm sure they had some long mic cables for the Exile sessions. These days most recording studios, like Skywalker Sound for instance, have microphone XLR panels built into the bathrooms and about every other room.

Besides Mick was absent for a lot of the recording. peace

Yes Bianca was pregnant with Jade at the time so MICK was running back home to Bianca at night.

Date: September 23, 2014 10:04

A wonderful artist, gone too soon. Here's my favourite Gram-tune:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home