Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Your Positive Thoughts About the Rolling Stones
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 22, 2014 03:57

GasLightStreet
The Rolling Stones' last truly inventive and creative LP was UNDERCOVER and their last meaningful hits compilation was REWIND.

1962-1984

I agree with that, there were flashes off the other albums, I go wild & Brand new car could have come from the Undercover sessions - they would fit on the album at any rate imo..........Out of control was brilliant esp. live and one or two more but as complete album, I agree, the Stones breaking the ceiling and at their sleaziest best...fantastic, pity it wasn't a double, that's it's only flaw.

Rewind the vid was pretty decent, never played the album,

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-22 03:59 by EddieByword.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 22, 2014 05:22

They were at one time the coolest most mysterious and greatest rocknroll band in the world.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 23, 2014 15:35

I love their image, attitude, and especially the music. The songs really hold up well.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: September 23, 2014 18:11

Ya-Ya's Version of Honky Tonk Woman was playing loudly in the background when I first made love to my college girlfriend Tracy...it doesn't get any more positive than that!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 23, 2014 18:33

I really like the Rolling Stones a lot.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 23, 2014 18:40

I positively think they haven't made a good record in 30 years.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 23, 2014 18:56

I think they should cover Positively 4th Street.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 23, 2014 19:21

Midnight Rambler is a masterpiece, a mix of raw and rootsy musical emotions. Mick
had the best a*s in the history of music (up to the 2003 tour)>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-23 20:30 by desertblues68.

Date: September 23, 2014 19:42

At various times in their carrer, the Stones have had five, six, or 4 members. They've had 9 or 10 onstage.

These numbers are all positive.

Date: September 23, 2014 20:03

schillid
At various times in their carrer, the Stones have had five, six, or 4 members. They've had 9 or 10 onstage.

These numbers are all positive.

At times though, certain of these members, (and to keep the positive spin, I won't mention names), have had a less than positive impact.

I'm positive you'd agree.

Date: September 23, 2014 20:33

Surely I would

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: September 23, 2014 20:47

i'm certain that they're magnetic.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 23, 2014 20:54

geordiestone
The Rolling Stones are the most important band ever and without them we wouldn't have all the great bands who followed that were influenced. Most of the music I dig you can trace it back to The Rolling Stones influence.

Most imitated band ever, but not even remotely matched by anyone.

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: September 23, 2014 20:58

They were the best live band i have ever seen.
I hope i will see them a few more times live on stage.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 23, 2014 20:59

thumbs up
Wild Slivovitz
geordiestone
The Rolling Stones are the most important band ever and without them we wouldn't have all the great bands who followed that were influenced. Most of the music I dig you can trace it back to The Rolling Stones influence.

Most imitated band ever, but not even remotely matched by anyone.
thumbs up

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 23, 2014 22:36

GeordieStone makes a very important point.

I was around a lot of British and American bands, both known and unknown, in the late Sixties and Seventies. The great majority of them were true fans who couldn't wait to get the next RS record and definitely looked up to the Stones.

Whether it was Keith Moon, Jim Morrison or the young unknowns Lynyrd Skynyrd and many others, they always wanted to know if I had "news of the Stones"...They were Excited at anything I might say.

The Stones were A Major Fact of Young People's Lives in the UK, US and Europe.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 24, 2014 00:18

An inspiring item to talk about, among other things...

- Doxa

Date: September 24, 2014 00:47

stonesrule
GeordieStone makes a very important point.

I was around a lot of British and American bands, both known and unknown, in the late Sixties and Seventies. The great majority of them were true fans who couldn't wait to get the next RS record and definitely looked up to the Stones.

Whether it was Keith Moon, Jim Morrison or the young unknowns Lynyrd Skynyrd and many others, they always wanted to know if I had "news of the Stones"...They were Excited at anything I might say.

The Stones were A Major Fact of Young People's Lives in the UK, US and Europe.

It is also interesting that among the British contemporaries, or with the people we seem to nowadayes take as their contemporaries, coming out of the r&b circuit, but who made their record deal, breakthrough, first television appearance or something like that, just a couple months after them - the Yardbirds, The Animals, The Who, Clapton etc etc. - the Stones always seem to be the ones they all were like looking upon to, as some kind of pioneers making it all big for all of them. This is something we can hear directly or indirectly from their interviews along the years. Being real 'fans' of theirs. The Beatles were the Beatles, yes, a pop phenomenon, but the Stones were a band speaking in terms of vocabulary that was the hottest of the day, and every cool player wanted to follow their steps. I think especially for the British/London blues circuit the success of the Stones - that they were able even to compete with the FabFour face to face in pop market - that was something so significant that it has never been actually spelled out enough, since it all happened so quickly (and usually within the pages of history books it is shadowed by the 'revoutionary' role of the Beatles in everything). The Stones really opened a path that was much cooler than the one the Beatles opened. And the 'cool' factor never escaped from them or from their doings.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-24 00:52 by Doxa.

Date: September 24, 2014 00:59

Doxa, wonderfully explained!

Date: September 24, 2014 01:15

To continue a bit.. If I recall right Gillet in his THE SOUND OF THE CITY, an early account of history of rock and roll, made a remark that even though the Beatles had a bigger impact over-all in pop music, and how it changed the world, their concrete impact on rock music was more short-time than that of the Stones that had a larger stylistic impact on the whole idea what a rock and roll band is all about. I think the whole history of rock music very much confirms that claim: the example and idea of the Stones is pretty much, and much more explicitly than that of the Beatles, written into DNA of almost any rock band in the last fifty years or so.

- Doxa

Date: September 24, 2014 01:29

stonesrule
Doxa, wonderfully explained!

Thank you, but kudos to you! You said something I always wanted to hear!

- Doxa

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: September 24, 2014 02:23

Positives? Easy. Saved my life many times over the years.

Surprised me this summer in Stockholm with a stunning Out Of Control and by playing the most brutal Brown Sugar ever.

Thanks guys!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 24, 2014 03:08

A cover band is not quite the same as the real thing.

Date: September 24, 2014 03:24

When that new album comes out I am going to be so positive.

Date: September 24, 2014 04:26

Palace Revolution 2000
When that new album comes out I am going to be so positive.

Don't be too positive about that!

Date: September 24, 2014 04:29

DOXA, how do you regard the impact of Eric "God" Clapton soon to followed by Hendrix?

Despite rumors to the contrary, Eric really respected Hendrix after he got over the first shock of seeing him, and he was a good friend to Jimi. The Stones definitely looked up to Hendrix. His sudden death brought forth many tears from them...also Bob Dylan.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 24, 2014 04:49

Natlanta
i'm certain that they're magnetic.

Gotta polar preference? Positive or neg?.........poz I guess..........

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: September 24, 2014 05:51

Doxa
To continue a bit.. If I recall right Gillet in his THE SOUND OF THE CITY, an early account of history of rock and roll, made a remark that even though the Beatles had a bigger impact over-all in pop music, and how it changed the world, their concrete impact on rock music was more short-time than that of the Stones that had a larger stylistic impact on the whole idea what a rock and roll band is all about. I think the whole history of rock music very much confirms that claim: the example and idea of the Stones is pretty much, and much more explicitly than that of the Beatles, written into DNA of almost any rock band in the last fifty years or so.

- Doxa

I agree. To echo stonesrule about your previous comment, wonderfully well put. The Stones became the template for a rock & roll band.

I think I've posted here already how much I enjoyed reading a comment to a video on YouTube of the Stones performing in 1968 or so that said something like "I don't get it. They are just your basic bar band."

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: September 24, 2014 07:42

They keep Ronnie off the streets!

And the whole "the noise they create makes me really happy" thing, too.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 24, 2014 08:15

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1729
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home