Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OP: Downton Abbey..anybody?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 18, 2014 11:34

swiss
treaclefingers

OK, you made me laugh at 1:00 AM...might be time to call it a night.

I even went back an edited it to make sure you understood my joke, but you got the original
anyway - thanks smiling smiley I am smiling at 1:30 so time for me to call it a night as well.

OK, I'm also outta here....'night!

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 18, 2014 11:58

treaclefingers
Toru A
kahoosier
This show is one of my guilty pleasures. When each season has been released on DVD I binge watch the whole season. Incredibly well done. Its also so hard to believe how much the world has changed in so short a time .

I feel the same as you.
I am now waiting the blu-ray for Season 4, shipped from US.

Were you shocked by the season 3 finale Toru?

careful...don't give anything away...we have some 'newbies' here.

Don't run the risk of a traffic accident!smiling smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 18, 2014 14:12

Big fan too

Date: September 18, 2014 20:51

Toru A
treaclefingers
Toru A
kahoosier
This show is one of my guilty pleasures. When each season has been released on DVD I binge watch the whole season. Incredibly well done. Its also so hard to believe how much the world has changed in so short a time .

I feel the same as you.
I am now waiting the blu-ray for Season 4, shipped from US.

Were you shocked by the season 3 finale Toru?

careful...don't give anything away...we have some 'newbies' here.

Don't run the risk of a traffic accident!smiling smiley

...bit too early for seatbelts I guess!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 18, 2014 21:20

Time to post a clever bit of photo-shopping from a couple of years ago (people were discussing characters Mick might play for his Saturday Night Live appearance):

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: September 18, 2014 22:24

stonehearted
<<Upstairs Downstairs>>

I'd like to see a sitcom based around a group of sex workers in a brothel. How's this for a title: Incall Outcall.

Or call it Downtown Abby smoking smiley

Date: September 19, 2014 00:38

Koen
stonehearted
<<Upstairs Downstairs>>

I'd like to see a sitcom based around a group of sex workers in a brothel. How's this for a title: Incall Outcall.

Or Downton Suzie

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 19, 2014 10:43

treaclefingers
Koen
stonehearted
<<Upstairs Downstairs>>

Or Downton Suzie

crickets

[ c o u g h ]

dog barks somewhere off in the echoey distance

Date: September 19, 2014 15:19

swiss
treaclefingers
Koen
stonehearted
<<Upstairs Downstairs>>

Or Downton Suzie

crickets

[ c o u g h ]

dog barks somewhere off in the echoey distance

I ignore hecklers...be sure to tip your waiters and waitresses.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2014 19:25

Oh it's good. It's great.

Mad Men jumped the shark this past half(assed) season. I'm thinking DA won't jump the shark.

Well, I hope so anyway.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 19, 2014 19:40

Mad Men still good. On AMC, looking forward to Walking Dead and Breaking Bad spinoff (Better Call Sal, I think it's called).

All kidding aside on Downtown Abbey (since I'm a bit of an anglophile thanks to Beatles and Stones), I do watch from time to time. I agree it's like a remake of Upstairs/Downstairs, but a good remake. It updates for today's post-modern tastes.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2014 20:38

What has happened to Mad Men is a shame. It jumped the shark twice this past season. I'm sure it will jump again.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: September 19, 2014 22:33

nightskyman
Mad Men still good. On AMC, looking forward to Walking Dead and Breaking Bad spinoff (Better Call Sal, I think it's called).

All kidding aside on Downtown Abbey (since I'm a bit of an anglophile thanks to Beatles and Stones), I do watch from time to time. I agree it's like a remake of Upstairs/Downstairs, but a good remake. It updates for today's post-modern tastes.

I actually like it better then U/D, but that may be my own post-modern attention span. Upstairs/Downstairs was big when I was in my early teens, and it seemed starchy, and stiff, although I guess the subject matter lent itself to that style.
But DA seems more fluid, and creative in how it weaves these different stories together. It might be a matter of aesthetics, and U/D was more old fashioned in its presentation.
DA hooked me in from the opening episode, where the camera is moving around and rotating onto different people and things in a single continuous shot..gorgeous cinematograghy. I also think Fellowes is a great writer, more inventive and witty. Less Masterpiece Theater and more Evelyn Waugh...
But I'm an American angophile (thanks to the Stones and Beatles, ditto nightskyman) so what do I know.
As for Men jumping the shark. I wouldn't say that quite yet, but it has become less of an urgency for me to watch the next season. I think that's the nature of any long-running series.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-19 22:35 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 20, 2014 01:14

U/D London, urban. DA Yorkshire, rural.

Date: September 20, 2014 01:16

stupidguy2
nightskyman

I actually like it better then U/D, but that may be my own post-modern attention span. Upstairs/Downstairs was big when I was in my early teens, and it seemed starchy, and stiff, although I guess the subject matter lent itself to that style.
But DA seems more fluid, and creative in how it weaves these different stories together. It might be a matter of aesthetics, and U/D was more old fashioned in its presentation.
DA hooked me in from the opening episode, where the camera is moving around and rotating onto different people and things in a single continuous shot..gorgeous cinematograghy. I also think Fellowes is a great writer, more inventive and witty. Less Masterpiece Theater and more Evelyn Waugh...
But I'm an American angophile (thanks to the Stones and Beatles, ditto nightskyman) so what do I know.
As for Men jumping the shark. I wouldn't say that quite yet, but it has become less of an urgency for me to watch the next season. I think that's the nature of any long-running series.

Watch SUITS

Date: September 20, 2014 23:09

Stones content: from Elizabeth McGovern (Lady Cora)Q&A...
I knew there was a reason I've always loved her.

Which living person do you most admire, and why?
Keith Richards. I've just read his autobiography, and he seems to have survived it all with his wit intact.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 21, 2014 17:20

I liked Sons of Anarchy, but less since Clay Morrow was shot. He balanced much Jax's weight.

Still following to see the end, but quite hysterical now... I mean, every week countless "bodies" in the charming Charming.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 21, 2014 18:35

Series 5 starts tonight, folks, with a 90-minute episode.

I once saw Jim Carter, aka Carson the butler, going about his business on a local high street in London. It was quite weird to see him dressed so casually in modern-day clothing with his hair all over the place!

Date: September 21, 2014 19:16

Holy crap it does start tonight!
Well, for the UK. I had to break it to my niece that we couldn't see it until freakin 2015!

Date: September 21, 2014 22:08

Beast

I once saw Jim Carter, aka Carson the butler, going about his business on a local high street in London. It was quite weird to see him dressed so casually in modern-day clothing with his hair all over the place!

love Carson...he's hilarious!

Date: September 21, 2014 22:55

Beast

I'm expecting a review Beast..
Who all is in the UK here?

Date: September 21, 2014 23:59

Thanks to the Stones, I love anything British so I am fond this show for its British-ness. Plus the rich American wife adds a certain flair and dynamic of cross cultures. I like the young character Rose, she is always looking for a good time and getting into mischief. The intro to jazz music was particularly interesting to see fine British society's negative reaction from most, but not all. The world has changed!

Date: September 22, 2014 04:44

BitchKeepsBitchin
Thanks to the Stones, I love anything British so I am fond this show for its British-ness. Plus the rich American wife adds a certain flair and dynamic of cross cultures. I like the young character Rose, she is always looking for a good time and getting into mischief. The intro to jazz music was particularly interesting to see fine British society's negative reaction from most, but not all. The world has changed!

Yeah,
The Stones sparked my fascination with all-things-British from the beginning of my fandom. All facets,
And I too love the cross-cultural dynamic with the American Cora. She represents for me the more open-minded, less patriarch-centric American-ness...
It gives the show a good cultural balance.
I also love the development of Edith. At first, she was the petty, jealous youngest daughter..but she's become (at least up to S2) the more independent and individualist one of them all.

Date: September 22, 2014 23:06

Im bumping this thread because I want someone in the UK to give me some feedback on season 5 opener...
Not so much spoilers, but just a sense of the writing, direction etc...

Date: September 22, 2014 23:14

stupidguy2
Beast

Well, I can't give away any spoilers, can I?! But suffice it to say that last night's episode set the scene for various intrigues to come - either continuations of earlier stories or new twists - and also it seems to have got a bit more risqué.. There were quite a few laugh-aloud moments for me and Maggie Smith is, as always, an absolute triumph.

btw, anyone watching Happy Valley (highly recommended - see my earlier post) will recognize Downton's Miss O'Brien playing a very different role.

Date: September 23, 2014 03:31

Beast
stupidguy2
Beast

Well, I can't give away any spoilers, can I?! But suffice it to say that last night's episode set the scene for various intrigues to come - either continuations of earlier stories or new twists - and also it seems to have got a bit more risqué.. There were quite a few laugh-aloud moments for me and Maggie Smith is, as always, an absolute triumph.

btw, anyone watching Happy Valley (highly recommended - see my earlier post) will recognize Downton's Miss O'Brien playing a very different role.

Awesome. The actress who plays O'Brien is great. She conveys so much with these little gestures and expressions.

Date: September 23, 2014 04:46

stupidguy2
Awesome. The actress who plays O'Brien is great. She conveys so much with these little gestures and expressions.

"good riddance" is my favorite of her phrase.

Date: September 23, 2014 10:43

Toru A
stupidguy2

A phrase coined by our good man Shakespeare, no less. The longer version that later emerged is "good riddance to bad rubbish"!

Date: September 23, 2014 11:08

Beast
Toru A
stupidguy2

A phrase coined by our good man Shakespeare, no less. The longer version that later emerged is "good riddance to bad rubbish"!

Thank you for the input.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 24, 2014 09:10

Beast

Thank you SO much! Despite the fact that there are some anachronisms, I adore this show. I generally
don't even like to think about it too much before it's ready to air, because it just makes me itchy to
watch it - and I know it's still so far off. Enjoyed your write-up. Looking forward to seeing what they
do with it!

btw, I loved SHERLOCK - Seasons 1 & 2, but found Season 3 unwatchable. You?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1297
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home