Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: OT : new U2 album for free on iTunes
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 22, 2014 00:05

What's your take on POP and PopMart, GasLight?

I've always liked the album, loved the tour; those PopMart DVD's are excellent methinks.

I included the fine B Side 'Holy Joe' and the U2 version of 'Pop Muzik' onto the ipod version of the album, and must say the whole thing is an eclectic, sometimes brilliant, sometimes less so; but an intriguing work. I prefer it to the two succeeding albums.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2014 00:23

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
frankotero
Hey treacle basically I have to say I like you from all your posts, but if I can give you some friendly advice I would say try this album for yourself. Don't be too involved with other people's opinion. Well now I probably said too much. Anyhow we're friends of music.smiling smiley

Thanks frankotero...I'm definitely going to give it a try. In fact I already tried but was probably one of about 5 people of 500 million that couldn't actually FIND it the first time I looked in my iTunes, so I'll give it another try this morning.

I want to like the album but will note that I haven't liked anything they've done since All That You Can't Leave Behind in 2000 - and I love that album.

What I don't like is this 'campaign' but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the music.

I'm a U2 fan. I found the new LP to be a bit odd, almost alarming, at first. But after a couple of spins (on a CD in the car), well, the trend shock has calmed down and it's actually a pretty good album.

So... I mean, that's probably a normal reaction to something "different" from what one is expecting. I was floored when Love Is Strong came out and then floored the opposite way (dismay) when I got VOODOO LOUNGE.

OK, in what looks like is going to be the last sunny day for awhile (in what is coincidentally the final day of summer) I've been painting the outside of the house (hey, why not leave it to the last minute) and I burned the new U2 album onto CD and played it outside on a ghetto blaster while I was painting.

Verdict: Not too bad, not too bad at all in fact.

Upon first listen I like it better than anything back to All That You Can't Leave Behind. I've only had the one listen so I don't really 'know' any of the songs but I will definitely give it a few more spins.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2014 01:32

IrelandCalling4
What's your take on POP and PopMart, GasLight?

I've always liked the album, loved the tour; those PopMart DVD's are excellent methinks.

I included the fine B Side 'Holy Joe' and the U2 version of 'Pop Muzik' onto the ipod version of the album, and must say the whole thing is an eclectic, sometimes brilliant, sometimes less so; but an intriguing work. I prefer it to the two succeeding albums.

I found POP to be a head scratcher. Some great songs (Do You Feel Loved, Last Night On Earth, Gone, If You Wear That Velvet Dress, Miami, The Playboy Mansion) and some dismal songs (If God Will Send His Angels, Discotheque) and the rest are just... whatever. They really screwed themselves with that LP.

PopMart was fantastic. Well. OK. I know it was troubled early on but when I saw them it was tight and on.

Date: September 22, 2014 01:34

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
frankotero
Hey treacle basically I have to say I like you from all your posts, but if I can give you some friendly advice I would say try this album for yourself. Don't be too involved with other people's opinion. Well now I probably said too much. Anyhow we're friends of music.smiling smiley

Thanks frankotero...I'm definitely going to give it a try. In fact I already tried but was probably one of about 5 people of 500 million that couldn't actually FIND it the first time I looked in my iTunes, so I'll give it another try this morning.

I want to like the album but will note that I haven't liked anything they've done since All That You Can't Leave Behind in 2000 - and I love that album.

What I don't like is this 'campaign' but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the music.

I'm a U2 fan. I found the new LP to be a bit odd, almost alarming, at first. But after a couple of spins (on a CD in the car), well, the trend shock has calmed down and it's actually a pretty good album.

So... I mean, that's probably a normal reaction to something "different" from what one is expecting. I was floored when Love Is Strong came out and then floored the opposite way (dismay) when I got VOODOO LOUNGE.

OK, in what looks like is going to be the last sunny day for awhile (in what is coincidentally the final day of summer) I've been painting the outside of the house (hey, why not leave it to the last minute) and I burned the new U2 album onto CD and played it outside on a ghetto blaster while I was painting.

Upon first listen I like it better than anything back to All That You Can't Leave Behind. I've only had the one listen so I don't really 'know' any of the songs but I will definitely give it a few more spins.

A few more spins and you'll be liking it more. I'm not saying it's GREAT like Achtung or Zooropa or Tree but it's certainly a growah!

Date: September 22, 2014 06:44

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
frankotero

A few more spins and you'll be liking it more. I'm not saying it's GREAT like Achtung or Zooropa or Tree but it's certainly a growah!

I listened to it for 4 times today...I agree with you completely. Finally a decent U2 album!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 22, 2014 07:16

IrelandCalling4
LeonidP
frankotero
For me Pop was their low point...

It sure was! I was a huge U2 fan before that album. Rattle & Hum is U2 at its finest! Pop is U2 at its worst. The new album is somewhere in between (i guess, obviously).

Rattle and Hum has some good songs; it got absolutely slated on release; and to a point, still is. The arrogance of the band, ingratiating themselves with influences they never had - Dylan, BB King, Elvis...etc. The live footage in the movie is good, but the album; despite some genuinely good tracks, but nowhere as good as the excellent 'Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby'.

The Super Deluxe of Achtung I'm listening at the moment, it's magnificent - full disc of B Sides, and a full disc of alternate/extended versions of the full album.

Obviously each will have his/her own favorites. Joshua Tree is near the bottom for me. Achtung is brilliant, but still falls behind Rattle & Hum for me.

My ranking

Rattle & Hum
Boy
Actung Baby
War
October
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Pop

Although I've done the illegal download of all the albums since Pop, I haven't ever listened to any of them enough to rank them. I would possibly put the new one right above Joshua Tree.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: September 22, 2014 15:28

LeonidP:

You admit openly that you download music illegally?
That means, that you are not ashamed of stealing.
You should be prosecuted.
Please give me your adress so Universal Music can sue you. They'll find out anyway, but the cost is much higher if they have to look for your IP etc...

People like you should be banned from the internet.

Date: September 22, 2014 16:39

What is wrong with Joshua Tree?? IMO, one of the best albums ever made - and I'm not even a U2-fan confused smiley

Date: September 22, 2014 21:24

DandelionPowderman
What is wrong with Joshua Tree?? IMO, one of the best albums ever made - and I'm not even a U2-fan confused smiley

It was an excellent album when it came out and I also loved it.

I find it a bit dreary nowadays though...it would be the 2nd to last U2 album I'd probably reach for....(No Line On The Horizon being the last)

Date: September 22, 2014 22:46

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I find it a bit dreary nowadays though...it would be the 2nd to last U2 album I'd probably reach for....(No Line On The Horizon being the last)

Yeah, but is Exile still one of the first Stones albums you'll reach for?

Date: September 22, 2014 23:27

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, but is Exile still one of the first Stones albums you'll reach for?

are you saying Exile is dreary? eye popping smiley

Date: September 28, 2014 21:44

The actual hard copy LP cover.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 28, 2014 21:54

I was really shocked when I saw the cover, since of course the first thing that popped in my mind was that that is so gay! And I could not believe it. Then I read about the concept of the cover - it is Larry (the drummer), protecting his 18-year old son, which I think is a really nice idea (once you know it), especially for an album titled Songs Of Innocence. No doubt that all the big fans of U2 will know the background, but I think that most of the casual buyers and casual fans will not and it will just look gay to them, which I don't think is very fortunate.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: September 28, 2014 21:58

Sorry, U2 is complete crap to me.

Re: OT : U2 'Songs Of Innocence'
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 28, 2014 22:22

Story behind Glen Luchsford's 'Songs Of Innocence' cover photo - [www.u2.com]
_____

After 'Innocence': U2 Look Ahead to Tour, New LP 'Songs of Experience'

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: September 29, 2014 01:49

There have been reports that Apple agreed to pay $100 million or more in marketing, which a source close to the band believes is incorrect. "I have no idea where they are getting that number from," says the source. "I think it's wrong."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 29, 2014 02:05

You get what you pay for.

Date: September 29, 2014 06:59

You'd be pissed if you lived in New Orleans then.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 29, 2014 07:08

Papo
LeonidP:

You admit openly that you download music illegally?

People like you should be banned from the internet.

Ok, that would leave you and about 4 other people that could access the internet. Have fun with that.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 29, 2014 08:02

Nevermind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-29 18:00 by BluzDude.

OT-New U2 CD=Brilliant
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 10, 2014 22:59

First I downloaded it free from iTunes (mp3) and was sort of impressed. Today I bought the 2CD edition and it's great. First the original CD sounds amazing sonically and I believe they planned this because it took me a while to appreciate the new sounds and now they're even greater on CD. This is why I think the freebie was planned this way, just a thought. Next is the bonus CD. Besides the first 2 extra songs the big thing (and maybe the most) that grabs me is "every breaking wave" in stripped down piano version. Wow, this really emphasizes the beautiful lyrics. Worth it alone just for this in my opinion. Then there are about 5 more songs in this fashion under the same title "acoustic sessions". Then there are 2 more alternate versions, also very nice and kind of stripped down. Say what you will about U2 but this is a fantastic release I can only dream my favorite band The Rolling Stones could do. Maybe new music by an old hand is not so impossible? Today I'm happy.smiling smiley

Re: OT-New U2 CD=Brilliant
Date: October 10, 2014 23:47

Deja Vu...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 10, 2014 23:55

Hi DandelionPowderman. Deja Vu as in you've heard this already, or there's already another thread? Don't want to cause any trouble but I'm not aware of anybody's review of the actual CD, not the free iTunes download that seemingly most of us don't like. Hope today's release will change that, at least a little.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: October 10, 2014 23:57

I've only got the free version and I'm not intending to pay for any more of it but I agree it's a very good release. I liked it from the first hearing but I've played it a dozen or so times and have only liked it more. Joey Ramone, Every Breaking Wave, Sleep Like A Baby and The Troubles are the standouts for me.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: October 11, 2014 01:19

I am really enjoying "The Crystal Ballroom" 12 mix!

Date: October 11, 2014 05:31

I'll be buying the record.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 16, 2014 11:52

Bono and The Edge live on TV :
[m.canalplus.fr]
[m.canalplus.fr]

Imagine Mick and Keith doing the same, that would be something!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 16, 2014 12:10

When I first downloaded the album from the internet, I was not impressed at all. Not because of the iTunes fuss that everyone is complaining about, it just didn't grab me at the first listen. I thought it sounded like an unnecessary compilation of b-sides or something. I gave it a few listenings and it started to grow on me, I thought it was sort of okay. Now I bought the 2 disc edition and I have to admit I really love the album. The songs are great, the sound is great and the lyrics are really really good too.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: October 16, 2014 17:55

Happy24
When I first downloaded the album from the internet, I was not impressed at all. Not because of the iTunes fuss that everyone is complaining about, it just didn't grab me at the first listen. I thought it sounded like an unnecessary compilation of b-sides or something. I gave it a few listenings and it started to grow on me, I thought it was sort of okay. Now I bought the 2 disc edition and I have to admit I really love the album. The songs are great, the sound is great and the lyrics are really really good too.

Great job by Danger Mouse.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 17, 2014 07:50

I've only listened to one song so far the "Joey Ramone" one. It's pretty good. Maybe this way I'll grow to like it. Their last two outings to listen to all in one hit (at a time) was too much to digest and I never ended up taking to the albums at all.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home