Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: I Don't Get it?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 26, 2014 22:14

treaclefingers
It even gets you all 'creative' and makes you want to invent new lyrics...

I was a Grocer, bagging the fruit
I was a nurse, changing the pans
I was a hooker, losing her looks (Oh right, that one's already taken)
I was cabbie, drivin' a cab
I was a pilot, landing a plane

Truly inspiring, the lyrics just write themselves.

Oh yeah man! Why, you could just... why not make it a hour long song?

I was Axl Rose, throwin' pianos off of balconies
I was the Montreal Canadiens, winning 24 Stanely Cup trophies
I was Paul Bunyan, cuttin' down trees
I was plastic, made by Chinese
I was ignorantly minded, put nuclear power plants by the ocean in a tsunami zone like the Japanese

That last one might not fit really...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 26, 2014 22:30

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

I was ignorantly minded, put nuclear power plants by the ocean in a tsunami zone like the Japanese

Yeah, it's a bit wordy AND Bono'y

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 27, 2014 13:17

GasLightStreet
NWSooner
Been hanging out at this site for over a decade and although I don't post often I very much respect the knowledge and love of the Stones hardcore fans her, but I seriously don't understand why the track from Bigger Bang "Dangerous Beauty" is not liked by most of them, I absolutely love that song and hope to hear it played live sometime before the Stones hang it up for good.

What is it that you don't like about the track, seriously?

For those of you that love it as I do, please back me up here!

Rock On, NWSooner

I love that song. It's similar to the sleaze of I Go Wild. One of the good tunes on ABB for sure.

The last three LPs... they could've been "better" with a good bit less.

VOODOO LOUNGE
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Jump On Top Of Me
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I'm Gonna Drive
The Storm

BRIDGES TO BABYLON
Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Lowdown
You Don't Have To Mean It
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

A BIGGER BANG
Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died

VOODOO LOUNGE
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
The Worst
Sparks will fly
Moon Is Up
New faces
You got it made
The Storm

BRIDGES TO BABYLON
Flip The Switch
Out Of Control
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

A BIGGER BANG
Rough Justice
Laugh, I Nearly Died

Date: September 27, 2014 21:21

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

Well, putting nuclear power plants next to an ocean in a tsunami zone doesn't require Bono to reveal how beyond completely ignorant that is. Even Ray Charles could see that.

Date: September 27, 2014 21:24

KRiffhard
VOODOO LOUNGE
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
The Worst
Sparks will fly
Moon Is Up
New faces
You got it made
The Storm

Oh man! You CHEATED! You used an unofficially released track that... should've been released!

KRiffhard
BRIDGES TO BABYLON
Flip The Switch
Out Of Control
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

Ahhh... an EP. I'd replace Too Tight and keep the flow from Thief into How Can I Stop myself...

KRiffhard
A BIGGER BANG
Rough Justice
Laugh, I Nearly Died

Now that is undeniably great. What a perfect should've-been single.

Date: September 27, 2014 23:13

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers

Well, putting nuclear power plants next to an ocean in a tsunami zone doesn't require Bono to reveal how beyond completely ignorant that is. Even Ray Charles could see that.

Yeah, and he's not even alive...I get it!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 28, 2014 11:50

GasLightStreet
KRiffhard
VOODOO LOUNGE
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
The Worst
Sparks will fly
Moon Is Up
New faces
You got it made
The Storm

Oh man! You CHEATED! You used an unofficially released track that... should've been released!

KRiffhard
BRIDGES TO BABYLON
Flip The Switch
Out Of Control
Too Tight
How Can I Stop

Ahhh... an EP. I'd replace Too Tight and keep the flow from Thief into How Can I Stop myself...

KRiffhard
A BIGGER BANG
Rough Justice
Laugh, I Nearly Died

Now that is undeniably great. What a perfect should've-been single.

..all the rest are usless songs!!

Re: 9th Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: September 28, 2014 15:57

You could extend this list or albums back to Steel Wheels and Dirty Work. A 'best of' of the 5 records would have made one decent, if disjointed, album.

I can't see a new release doing anything to help propel them anywhere, and can only further reinforce that they have slipped mightily.

BTW, disagree with some of the posters who left off Back Of My hand. Nothing amazing about the song, not thrilled with Jagger's vocal, but it was nice to hear them attempt the blues. Frankly, I think they have lost the ability to write a great song, and don't have a producer that can bring what they once were. I would like to see them do an album of blues and early rock-n-roll covers...their early loves....and stuff I am betting they still love...grabbing T-Bone Burnett or The Black Keys or Jack White to produce.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: September 28, 2014 16:31

It's good music! after all, it's the stones.

But i like my stones exciting! The only song that get's me excited after 9 years is ONNYA. That's a mean and original rocker

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 29, 2014 11:24

9 years? Time flies; I can still remember the anticipation, the advance release of 'Rough Justice', that great quote from Jagger on the new material ("You want to hear Brown Sugat again? Well, listen to this, c**t"!). Definitely sounding like a man proud of the new album and songs.

I still love the album; it's far too long and as most people do I have my own 12-track "A Better Bang" on the ipod, and that 12 track collection is bloody excellent!

Any album with tracks like 'Rough Justice', 'This Place is Emtpy', 'Laugh I Nearly Died' (best song on album for me), 'Rain Fall Down', 'Back of my Hand' (just a gorgeous minimalist blues), 'Look what the Cat Dragged In' - is something special.

It's funny, 9 years in and one of the tracks I always liked, but never loved, had grown - reading the thoughts on 'Dangerous Beauty' on this thread, I slotted in the headphones and gave it a blast; after 9 years of liking it, suddenly after the 3 1/2 minutes was up, I loved it! Played it multiple more times over weekend.

Overlong, yes, but I would concur with a great quote on one of the many reviews at the time - "The Stones have no right to sound this decadent, delicious and disgraceful in 2005".

Not up there with Exile, Beggars..etc; but I do feel (once you cut the 3 or 4 fillers) it's a great rock album, with moments of real inspiration.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 29, 2014 11:43

No love for Infamy? Love the song myself, especially the version from the Toronto warm up show.

Date: September 29, 2014 11:45

IrelandCalling4
9 years? Time flies; I can still remember the anticipation, the advance release of 'Rough Justice', that great quote from Jagger on the new material ("You want to hear Brown Sugat again? Well, listen to this, c**t"!). Definitely sounding like a man proud of the new album and songs.

I still love the album; it's far too long and as most people do I have my own 12-track "A Better Bang" on the ipod, and that 12 track collection is bloody excellent!

Any album with tracks like 'Rough Justice', 'This Place is Emtpy', 'Laugh I Nearly Died' (best song on album for me), 'Rain Fall Down', 'Back of my Hand' (just a gorgeous minimalist blues), 'Look what the Cat Dragged In' - is something special.

It's funny, 9 years in and one of the tracks I always liked, but never loved, had grown - reading the thoughts on 'Dangerous Beauty' on this thread, I slotted in the headphones and gave it a blast; after 9 years of liking it, suddenly after the 3 1/2 minutes was up, I loved it! Played it multiple more times over weekend.

Overlong, yes, but I would concur with a great quote on one of the many reviews at the time - "The Stones have no right to sound this decadent, delicious and disgraceful in 2005".

Not up there with Exile, Beggars..etc; but I do feel (once you cut the 3 or 4 fillers) it's a great rock album, with moments of real inspiration.

I like LWTCDI as well, but I find it disturbing that they are playing that INXS-riff over and over again in it...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 29, 2014 12:35

I've always thought "Look what the Cat Dragged In" was one of the best rockers on it; it just has such a groove to it. And that riff, INXS-like yes, but it sounds fantastic when it comes in; propulsive and fiery.

I've always enjoyed the lyrics; the one-time decadent rocker sitting at home with the Sunday papers while one of his kids comes home worse for wear^

Along with "Rough Justice", "Dangerous Beauty" and "She Saw me Coming", 4 damn good rock songs!

I remember 2006, the fan meet-up before the Glasgow gig, the pub we were all in ('The Solid Rock' methinks) playing non stop Stones music; and "The Cat" came on - it sounded amazing, that riff just buzzed through the place; even non fans were dancing; it's a moment I always associate with the song when I hear it.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 25, 2014 11:32

vertigojoe
He's a tax dodging right wing Tory thru and thru.

One of the the Stones' big "communist experiences" was playing in communist Warsaw, Poland, where Keith basically kicked the first four rows of the communist elites out (who'd had their fingers in their ears). (See Keith's 1971 Rolling Stone Magazine interview.) KEITH: "And who's got the best seats in the house right down front? The sons and daughters of the hierarchy of the communist party."

Date: October 25, 2014 12:22

IrelandCalling4
I've always thought "Look what the Cat Dragged In" was one of the best rockers on it; it just has such a groove to it. And that riff, INXS-like yes, but it sounds fantastic when it comes in; propulsive and fiery.

I've always enjoyed the lyrics; the one-time decadent rocker sitting at home with the Sunday papers while one of his kids comes home worse for wear^

Along with "Rough Justice", "Dangerous Beauty" and "She Saw me Coming", 4 damn good rock songs!

I remember 2006, the fan meet-up before the Glasgow gig, the pub we were all in ('The Solid Rock' methinks) playing non stop Stones music; and "The Cat" came on - it sounded amazing, that riff just buzzed through the place; even non fans were dancing; it's a moment I always associate with the song when I hear it.

It is indeed very good, and in many ways this track was the big Ronnie-comback after all his struggles. He showed everybody that he really could play the guitar again thumbs up

Date: October 25, 2014 16:59

DandelionPowderman
IrelandCalling4

It is indeed very good, and in many ways this track was the big Ronnie-comback after all his struggles. He showed everybody that he really could play the guitar again thumbs up

I always thought Cat was a bit rote, although I've very much liked the other songs mentioned. I'll have to drag it out and give it another listen.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 25, 2014 17:34

"Frankly, I think they have lost the ability to write a great song, and don't have a producer that can bring what they once were. I would like to see them do an album of blues and early rock-n-roll covers...their early loves....and stuff I am betting they still love...grabbing T-Bone Burnett or The Black Keys or Jack White to produce"

Couldn't agree more...if they could get together for a few weeks and do a covers album that would be fantastic. Unlikely but we can dream...

On a (slight) tangent I remember a great McCartney interview a few years back and he actually said that whatever Muse it was that was over him for a few years in the 60's and maybe early 70's had long gone. It was a kinda sad thing for him to say but I admired the fact that he knew it.

It's Been Ten Years Since A Bigger Bang
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 2, 2015 20:04

Wow, time flies. Also, there are college students who were eight years old when the last Stones studio album came out. We are all really old.

Re: It's Been Ten Years Since A Bigger Bang
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 2, 2015 20:30

Yup. I was 13 when A Bigger Bang came out. It was the first, and only, Stones studio album that came out that I was conscious of at the time. I remember being all excited with my dad and saying "I finally get to go and buy the CD on the day it comes out. This is what it must have been like for you when Let It Bleed got released!" Odd to think that is 10 years ago, and yes, I fall into that college student demographic you just mentioned.

I'm almost certain that will be their last album. I literally can't picture them ever getting enough interest in another one at their age.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: January 2, 2015 21:23

Same for me, I was just out of school, when it came out and I bought it for my mother's birthday, as she was the big fan in the family at the time. Little did I know that Gimme Shelter was about to hit me very soon and gave me the bug..

There has already been a big debate on IORR about whether or not, there will be another album, but I haven't given up on the hope, that they themselves have the ambition to do one more and won't let 10 years pass by without new output while they still play.

My early favourite back then was 'It won't take long', now it is a tight race between Rough Justice, Laugh I nearly died and Sweet Neocon.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: January 2, 2015 21:25

I don't think there will be another album with new material for 3 main reasons. 1. I don't think they (Jagger/Richards) have the motivation or the inspiration to write new songs. The setlists over the past years have been quite conservative and don't show an eagerness to try new things. 2. Even if they had the motivation and the inspiration, they know that it will always be compared to the past and that it is almost impossible to please the fans and the critics. A Bigger Bang was a great attempt, but in the end it didn't renew a momentum, and songs of the album were quickly withdrawn from the setlist. 3. Album sales are dead. The Music industry has changed completely. Nobody knows anymore how to sell an album.

However, if they can find a project which is fun and relatively easy, I think there could be another Stones album. I'm thinking of a project like Stripped. Maybe paying tribute to their heros, the blues with occasionally an original song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 2, 2015 21:59

I think the bottom line is the Stones have become more of a business for Mick and Keith than a creative outlet. The recorded music business is all but dead and touring is where the money is generated. So business wise, it hardly makes sense for them to put out the effort to make a new record. They are much better off just re-releasing stuff from the vaults and unreleased live shows.

After the little spark of A Bigger Bang I think they have realized the effort just ain't worth the return. New creative output for men in their 70's is rare and I doubt they will take the risk of putting out a last record which may not be great.

That being said I'd love to see them try and I hate the thought of ABB being their last effort. But considering the live shows are mostly songs 30+ years old, I'm guessing the Stones are content to let their legacy be based on their earlier work and pretty amazing modern live shows showcasing that earlier work.

peace

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 2, 2015 22:33

A Bigger Bang has two major problems:

* It has some weak tracks, and is missing We Don't Wanna Go Home and Under The Radar, which were better than half the album.

* It is mixed incredibly poorly.

Take Oh No Not You Again...

* Jagger's lead rhythm guitar, which is the core of the song, is mixed HALF the volume of Keith's guitar.
* Keith's guitar is way too loud in the mix given what he is playing.
* Bass tone is terrible! Sounds like a fart.
* Kick drum sounds boomy and ugly.
* Snare - bad tone with mid-range ring
* crash/cymbals and compressed to hell with the mastering. sounds like they come and go depending on the rest of the mix
* backup vocals too low
* hidden guitars should be LOUD! The chorus would sound far more beautiful if those 3rd/4th guitars weren't buried in the mix!
* to be emphatic, point 1 again... turn Jagger's rhythm guitar up in the mix! or let Ronnie play it!

I feel like this about most every song on the record. She Saw Me Coming has too much repetition especially in the beginning, and it is unnecessary. The grove is great... shame it is ruined by that.

Rought Justice... KILLER track. Reminds me of the Faces' version of Sweet Little Rock'N'Roller! The drums sound terrible, whole track is compressed to hell and mastered to the point of digital distortion.

I bought the vinyl of ABB hoping that it was mastered correctly... Incredibly disappointing playback. Sounds exactly the same as the CD. I wouldn't be surprised if they used a 44.1/16bit master for the vinyl. So lazy. Absolute junk mixing/mastering. The worst engineering they have ever had on record, and the worst brick-wall mastering ever applied to a Rolling Stones recording.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: January 2, 2015 22:37

I had the same experience with the vinyl and I agree completely with your comments.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 2, 2015 22:49

What're ya mean I had one last night !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 2, 2015 22:53

flacvinyl you're right on all counts. I can't believe how poorly made this record was. I have a friend with a recording studio who put the tracks on a computer to see. A lot of digital noise is used on Rough Justice. My buddy thinks it's to fill the sound and make it more appealing to todays generation. And yes the loudness war probably ruined this record, that could have been great, the roots are there on a lot of songs. I've been hoping for years that they will go back and repair the songs and re-issue it. Also, I've had thoughts this is a poor swan song to go out on. Maybe they'll do something but it doesn't look like they're interested. Then again they did put out a lot of great music overall so who can blame them. Plus it's not officially over yet. Let's wait and see.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 2, 2015 23:20

In history books it will looks a bit stupid "The Rolling Stones recording career spanned 42 50 years, they started recording their first record in 1963 and their last in 2004 2012" so for the record they should release at least one song otherwise they will be beaten by Sir Cliff Richard who released his latest record in 2011 (52 years) "grinning smiley" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-02 23:39 by NICOS.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 2, 2015 23:23

They were trying to be with the current trends for mixing and mastering and it doesn't jibe with what makes or made the Stones great. Like other big rock records of the loudness era, it's hard to listen to for more than a song or two at a time, but it's particularly destructive to Charlie's sound and the weave.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 2, 2015 23:29

TeddyB1018, they have released two songs since then, doom and gloom / One more shot!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 2, 2015 23:36

So I have to edit my comment too confused smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1432
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home