Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 5, 2014 11:35

next year it will be 10 years since the release of "A Bigger Bang"

any plans to celebrate the anniversary?

how has the album stood up to the test of time?

why haven't they released another album since?

and, incidentally, how do people feel about 2014 being the 20th anniversary of "Voodoo Lounge"?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-03 00:08 by bv.

Re: 10th Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Date: September 5, 2014 11:58

I'll play my vinyl copies of ABB and VL - loud thumbs up

Love 'em both. Thinking about the anniversaries make me feel old, though smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-05 15:56 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 5, 2014 12:21

a few good songs on both albums - buried under masses of shit and/or songs only few people will remember without looking at the albums' track lists

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 5, 2014 12:27

They should re-release it on vinyl... I mean as a single record : 40 minutes and 10 songs max.
Now we'd have a great ABB! thumbs up

Date: September 5, 2014 12:46

I don't hear "masses of shit" on any Stones album. Not even Streets Of Love or Suck On The Jugular are down there, imo smiling smiley

Posted by: bobo ()
Date: September 5, 2014 12:54

thumbs up

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: September 5, 2014 13:06

I liked it, nice job.
maybe a little too long, 3-4 songs are not good at all in my opinion (the last 4, sweet neo-con, look what the cat etc etc, infamy and driving too fast) but the rest is pretty good.
Incredible that in 10 years they didn't produce a new album, sorry but I don't consider the new exile and some girls as new..
I still think that this lack of 10 years is an incredible waste of talent .

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: September 5, 2014 13:59

Boring - Boring - Boring album.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 5, 2014 14:10

Not boring at all, I love it.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 5, 2014 15:31

Love it but agree with andrea - it'd be better without last 4 songs
Come to think about it A Bigger Bang and Some Girls bonus disk are the albums I listen to most often

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 5, 2014 16:04

DandelionPowderman
I don't hear "masses of shit" on any Stones album. Not even Streets Of Love or Suck On The Jugular are down there, imo smiling smiley

Nope and Gomper is an underrated classic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-05 16:37 by Silver Dagger.

Re: 9th Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2014 16:10

sonomastone
next year it will be 10 years since the release of "A Bigger Bang"

That's possibly the funniest thing about it!

sonomastone
any plans to celebrate the anniversary?

Eh, NO.

sonomastone
how has the album stood up to the test of time?

I still listen to it.

sonomastone
why haven't they released another album since?

To quote Mick Jagger, "Why bother". Or an updated "It's 2014, we've done it all".

sonomastone
and, incidentally, how do people feel about 2014 being the 20th anniversary of "Voodoo Lounge"?

Older. And still pissed that they put so many lame songs on it (it is a double LP afterall) when they could've put the really good tunes on it that they left off. Like they did for SOME GIRLS. Bastards.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 5, 2014 16:32

andrea66
I liked it, nice job.
maybe a little too long, 3-4 songs are not good at all in my opinion (the last 4, sweet neo-con, look what the cat etc etc, infamy and driving too fast) but the rest is pretty good.
Incredible that in 10 years they didn't produce a new album, sorry but I don't consider the new exile and some girls as new..
I still think that this lack of 10 years is an incredible waste of talent .

Well, I quite like "Sweet Neo-Con" as one of the type of not so worked-out songs, I am glad to see them making a political stance once again, and, besides, I think it is fine to have a song (one of two, the other "Dangerous Beauty" ) that gives the album a date in historical time, which it then somehow gives a mirror of.

There are a couple of songs that are not bad songs , but I think maybe a little "Stones-by-numbers" songs ("Driving Too Fast" and "She Saw Me Coming" ) , that ugly epithet, so I hesitate in using it.

I do like the album to be that long, when album releases have been that far between them during the two to three last decades. If the band itself had replaced those two songs by some others, I might have preferred that, but I would not have wanted them replaced by nothing.

An album verging on the semi-great, only with the slight objection that it is somewhat safe in its approach. More so than their much more daring preceding enterprise BRIDGES TO BABYLON.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 5, 2014 18:55

Love the album. Good times!

Date: September 5, 2014 19:03

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Nope and Gomper is an underrated classic!

Wow, eventually I get the possibility to express the view that I for one, in fact, consider "Gomper" to be a classic Rolling Stones track and, besides, an underrated one at that!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 5, 2014 19:10

...Party!!
Love the album.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 5, 2014 19:24

sonomastone
incidentally, how do people feel about 2014 being the 20th anniversary of "Voodoo Lounge"?

Shit, I'm getting old....

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 5, 2014 19:40

Neo-Con was a disgrace. The other 3 should be left off as well. Do that, Add Under the Radar and you got a great Stones album

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 5, 2014 19:46

Still consider it a great album. At least, I like it. It's modern enough without being experimental, and it has a good vintage feel without being retrĂ².

True, it's loud. What can I say, o tempora, o mores!

Also true, it has a couple of turds, but since there is no general consensus on which songs should have been left out, I am happy to have them all so that everybody can make their individual selections.

Incidentally, when we had the old vinyls, people complained because this or that outtake should have been included (see Black and Blue of Dirty Works, for example), now with the CDs people complain because this or that released song should have better remained an outtake.

The lesson is, people ALWAYS complained.

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 5, 2014 19:47

How is Neo-Con a disgrace? Politically? Anyone says that must think Mick was Conservative in thought all these years. Do you think he supported Vietnam and it's ugly cousin, The War in Iraq? It's not like there weren't politically tinged songs leading up to it, ala Street Fighting Man, Salt of The Earth, Indian Girl, Undercover of the Night.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2014 20:54

24FPS
How is Neo-Con a disgrace? Politically? Anyone says that must think Mick was Conservative in thought all these years. Do you think he supported Vietnam and it's ugly cousin, The War in Iraq? It's not like there weren't politically tinged songs leading up to it, ala Street Fighting Man, Salt of The Earth, Indian Girl, Undercover of the Night.

Let us not overlook Highwire

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: September 5, 2014 20:57

Mick is quite clearly, and always has been an old fashioned (small c) conservative.
His remarks about being able to afford tickets, jokingly referencing their ridiculous pricing structure also show he is, unfortunately, a @#$%&.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: September 5, 2014 21:11

24FPS

Those songs are purely voyeurism. He's a tax dodging right wing Tory thru and thru.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 5, 2014 21:30

sonomastone

[...] how do people feel about 2014 being the 20th anniversary of "Voodoo Lounge"?

... and the 25th anniversary of "Steel Wheels" (29th August 1989) ? winking smiley

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 5, 2014 21:33

I was excited when I heard the Stones had done an anti-Bush song. Then I listened to it and thought, man, what a load of crap. It's just awful, one of their worst songs ever. Great idea but terrible execution.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 5, 2014 22:13

Great! Streets of Love is going on constant repeat now. Love song of the century...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 5, 2014 22:18

Did we lose a year somewhere?

Date: September 5, 2014 22:19

vertigojoe
24FPS

Those songs are purely voyeurism. He's a tax dodging right wing Tory thru and thru.

I don't mean to discuss political issues here. For this is not a site for that. Only this, because it touches on Mick Jagger, whose political views you evaluate in such a superficial way:

Attitudes towards tax issues do not exhaust attitudes towards all other political issues. To think that way, promotes political cynicism and vulgarism.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 5, 2014 22:28

gimmelittledrink
I was excited when I heard the Stones had done an anti-Bush song. Then I listened to it and thought, man, what a load of crap. It's just awful, one of their worst songs ever. Great idea but terrible execution.

gimmeanotherlittledrink...well put.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 5, 2014 22:31

Witness
Attitudes towards tax issues do not exhaust attitudes towards all other political issues. To think that way, promotes political cynicism and vulgarism

I'm sorry Witness, that is not correct. Attitudes towards taxation is a key part in any political context. If not the only...

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1517
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home