Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: I Don't Get it?
Posted by: LoveYouLive ()
Date: September 22, 2014 15:10

NWSooner
Been hanging out at this site for over a decade and although I don't post often I very much respect the knowledge and love of the Stones hardcore fans her, but I seriously don't understand why the track from Bigger Bang "Dangerous Beauty" is not liked by most of them, I absolutely love that song and hope to hear it played live sometime before the Stones hang it up for good.

What is it that you don't like about the track, seriously?

For those of you that love it as I do, please back me up here!

Rock On, NWSooner

Recently I heard the song played on Sirius and was blown away. I did like Bigger Bang and DB when it came out but I haven't really given the album a listen too much in recent years. But when I heard the tune again I was very impressed. It is a great tune.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 22, 2014 15:15

Love the groove and overall sound. What ruins it for me is the political lyrics. Not very good no matter what your political leanings. BTW, she wasn't much of a beauty.

Would have been a great song with better lyrics. Ditto "Blinded By Rainbows".

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 22, 2014 15:31

DandelionPowderman
matxil
Well, I don't like it.
The riff is third-rate, there is no groove, there is no melody, no special sound or chord-changes or anything. It reminds me of the worst songs on Dirty Work: just Mick Jagger screaming some gibberish over a background of grungy guitars without any kind of special lick of riff. And the lyrics..., I guess it's some tongue-in-cheek comment on the girl in the Abu Ghraib pictures, but I don't get what's so funny or sexy or ironic or God-knows-what he intends to bring across.

You could say the exact same thing about Start Me Up. And, imo, the songs are good because of the very same reasons: A good open G-riff and great vocals from Mick.

+ the BB King-esque solo by Keith is nice on DB.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I'm not saying DB is as good as SMU, only that these songs' fortes are similar.

I see your point, but what can I say?, it works on Start Me Up (which does have a groove, the lyrics are fun, Mick's voice are great, the interaction between Keith and Ron is exciting, etc...) and it doesn't work on Dangerous Beauty. For me Dangerous Beauty is more like Must Be Hell.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: September 22, 2014 17:13

Dangerous Beauty is part of what many of us consider filler on A Bigger Bang. The song sounds 'stonesey' but doesn't really go anywhere. This is the same problem with Driving Too Fast, Biggest Mistake, Sweet Neo Con, Look What The Cat Dragged In and Driving Too Fast.

Don't take it personal that folks don't dig a song the same way though! I strongly dislike Indian Girl and Don't Be A Stranger (Exile bonus track), yet there are fans I love and respect here who ADORE those tracks!

Re: 10th Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 22, 2014 17:40

Witness
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
I don't hear "masses of shit" on any Stones album. Not even Streets Of Love or Suck On The Jugular are down there, imo smiling smiley

Nope and Gomper is an underrated classic!

Wow, eventually I get the possibility to express the view that I for one, in fact, consider "Gomper" to be a classic Rolling Stones track and, besides, an underrated one at that!

It's the perfect soundtrack to a night of Gomping.

Posted by: NWSooner ()
Date: September 22, 2014 18:05

stonesrule
OK babe, I'm backing you up!
ABB is a worthwhile record.

I'm a little surprised with the positive responses, definitely more positive than I remember from this board at release. And yeah I understand the depth of the catalogue issues as far as hearing it live, but I'll remain hopeful because that's how I roll, I truly believe it would be even better live.

Stonesrule, I suppose I owe you a cocktail/beer/glass of wine for the support, huh?

NWSooner

Re: 9th Anniversary of the release of "A Bigger Bang"
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 22, 2014 18:34

Rolling Stones site has a Youtube promo for next month's shows with Rough Justice as the background song. Rough Justice is a very good song.

On another note, the Tweedy album is coming out tomorrow in the US. The total length is around 74 minutes, 20 songs or so. But what they did was make it a double CD which is probably very smart. If the Stones broke ABB as a double CD we may have looked at it differently and not as tedious maybe. maybe…haha

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 22, 2014 19:40

9 years ago , we went to see the stones at madison square garden on 9/13, then two nights later at giants stadium 9/15, then two nights later at the pepsi arena 9/17.three stones show in one week .what a blast that was and i shall never forget that .i can still remember hearing rough justice on the radio before bigger bang was released and thinking (no pun) how it sounded so rough and distorted (keith and ronnie's guitar)

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 22, 2014 20:30

ABB and VL are tepid Stones-lite.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2014 21:22

Elmo Lewis
Love the groove and overall sound. What ruins it for me is the political lyrics. Not very good no matter what your political leanings. BTW, she wasn't much of a beauty.

Dangerous Beauty is a great song, best track on the album and I think the lyrics are hilarious and get right to the point.

In particular:

Who you got there in that hood, you look so fancy in those photographs
With your rubber gloves on you're a favourite with the Chiefs of Staff

You're doing such a wonderful job
You're a natural at working with dogs
Keeping everyone awake at night
With a touch of the prods

It's political but very clever, which I cannot say about Sweet Neo Con, which got all the press.

I think if they really wanted to get political they should have released Dangerous Beauty as the lead single.

Can you imagine the collective WTF expression hearing that for the first time as the single?

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: September 22, 2014 22:53

Elmo Lewis

I've always liked Dangerous Beauty but I will agree with you on Blinded By Rainbows.

Of course, neither song eve begins to approach the lyrical high-bar Mick set with You Got Me Rockin" ...I was a butcher cutting up meat... Magnificent!

Date: September 22, 2014 23:33

cbtaco19
Elmo Lewis

I've always liked Dangerous Beauty but I will agree with you on Blinded By Rainbows.

Of course, neither song eve begins to approach the lyrical high-bar Mick set with You Got Me Rockin" ...I was a butcher cutting up meat... Magnificent!

It even gets you all 'creative' and makes you want to invent new lyrics...

I was a Grocer, bagging the fruit
I was a nurse, changing the pans
I was a hooker, losing her looks (Oh right, that one's already taken)
I was cabbie, drivin' a cab
I was a pilot, landing a plane

Truly inspiring, the lyrics just write themselves.

Date: September 22, 2014 23:45

treaclefingers
cbtaco19
Elmo Lewis

Yours are much more lame, sorry haha.

Date: September 22, 2014 23:59

Maindefender
treaclefingers
cbtaco19
Elmo Lewis

I'm flattered!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 23, 2014 12:41

treaclefingers
Maindefender
treaclefingers
cbtaco19
Elmo Lewis

I'm flattered!

Ta, ta, ta. Agree with the 'butcher' line (though the purpose of it is mainly to rhyme with "street" in the next line, imo); but you're stretching it with that hooker. Apart from the fact that "a hooker loosing her looks" is a great image - universally recognisable, and therefore perfectly individually imagineable, it is also technically quite well constructed - with those three 'oo '-vowels in a row as a sort of 'inner rhyme'... You're too harsh on it!! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 23, 2014 13:48

You got me Rocking has great lyrics for a rock'n'roll song. The studioversion is a bit lame, but the No Security version is really good, there are elements of rock, blues and dance in it. Great to listen to.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 23, 2014 14:08

They could add some extra-tracks for the anniversary-album next year...there outta be a couple of outtakes from 'Streets of Love'....

smoking smileysmoking smiley
Ronnie&Keith

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 23, 2014 14:09

Come On
They could add some extra-tracks for the anniversary-album next year...there outta be a couple of outtakes from 'Streets of Love'....

smoking smileysmoking smiley
Ronnie&Keith

...or some dance club remixes... smoking smiley

P.S.: I like SOL a lot.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 23, 2014 15:19

Should be played live more on tour

Date: September 23, 2014 16:15

black n blue
Should be played live more on tour

Went over great in Italy

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: September 23, 2014 16:59

Great in AC too

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 23, 2014 17:56

lem motlow
bigger bang-or as i call it studio diarrhea part 3.

this is one of the many times digital helped destroy the rolling stones recording career.
in a very death by a thousand cuts way,mick and keith are walking on eggshells around each other so they cant have an argument or even a deep discussion about what songs to keep or leave off the record-well voila! digital recording is here. we can leave all the songs on,avoid conflict and "give the fans more music"-
never mind that your record is a long boring piece of crap with 16 songs,at least 6 of which should have never seen the light of day.

all of those records-voodoo, bridges and a bigger bang are an excercise in frustration.the talent was there to make a great record and they just misfired every time.

voodoo lounge- they used all of their great ideas on wandering spirit and main offender so of course voodoo had to have as many songs as a double album,because they had so many great ideas left......

bridges to babylon-i'm still trying to wade through this mess all these years later.i look at it and i cant even figure out what it is-from the 1973 santana cover on the cd to the looooong drawn out songs by mick and keith-
always suffering and already over me are the same song- yet jagger spends a combined TEN MINUTES on the two of them.

not to be out done keith has his own TEN MINUTES of snoozers-you dont have to mean it and how can i stop.these four songs would equal nearly an entire side of a vinyl lp.it also shows how a lack of competition hurts,they would've never put that stuff out against a who's next,dark side of the moon,abbey road or houses of the holy-like i said,death by a thousand cuts.

then bigger bang-they had maybe,and i mean maybe 8 good songs.they shouldve just worked on those and made a record like black and blue[8 songs]but instead we have epic,never ending digital dysentery.

its probably better they just gave up-too many c-list records were starting to make the catalogue look bad.

i totally agree with the analysis of the failure of ABB in the digitalized process and i would add that it was not only a problem of lack of competition and discussion but also a technical problem in producing and mastering a product that lacks dynamics and breath even when songs are or could be fairly good. Perfect example is: it wont take long. Of course it is too long, too many useless and weak tracks etc

VL is the real mystery to me because the outtakes tell ore hint to a completely different story. that of a late masterpiece. beginning with the fact the great tracks even if released where "hidden" on singles b-sides. Most of the unfinished seem astonishingly fresh and intense and great.

BTB is probably the "warmest" record of the lot but it is clearly a double "solo" record from mick and Keith. Keith failed to choose the "right" version of You dont have to mean it but Thief and How Can I stop are great classic/modern tracks. Mick had the best clue in his "quest for being up to date" in years when he ask the Dust Brothers for production after he listened to their work on Beck's Odelay - which is a real masterpiece - but failed short by using them as he does with musicians for "duets". A missed opportunity in that it is a record not brave enough to be completely "different" nor stick with a classic rhythm and blues sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-23 17:58 by maumau.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 23, 2014 20:26

treaclefingers

>grinning smiley< Around the VL era Mick confessed he wrote all (four?) B-side songs in one afternoon... Yeah he's fast!

Date: September 23, 2014 23:41

Huge mistake including NeoCon ( when they try to be current it comes out horribly and that song is a joke anyway). Should have left off Look what the Cat also and Driving Too fast and ADDED Under The Radar and you got as super album

Posted by: Mikael ()
Date: September 24, 2014 14:31

Read this thread...and revisited ABB.
Liked it fine when I got it, especially "Laugh.." and Back Of My Hand.
I did some resequencing for my ipod a couple of years back, but haven´t listened it too much lately. So I gave all of it a spin. And I love it! To me it´s the richest most rewarding record since IORR. At least when as follows;

1. Rough Justice
2. It Won ´t Take Long
3. Let Me Down Slow #3 ( Early Mixes)
4. Biggest Mistake (Early Mixes)
5. Dangerous Beauty #2 (Early Mixes)
6. Don't Wanna Go Home #1 (Early Mixes)
7. She Saw Me Coming (Early Mixes)
8. Sweet Neocon
9. Driving Too Fast (Early Mixes)
10. Streets Of Love #1 (Early Mixes)
11. Rain Fall Down
12. Under The Radar (Early Mixes)
13. Oh No Not You Again
14. Look What The Cat Dragged In
15. Laugh I Nearly Died
16. Back Of My Hand

- I intended to lose some of these, but nah. They sound fantastic together. All in all, a rich and rewarding album. And yes Dangerous Beauty, Sweet Neocon and Driving Too Fast are somewhat weaker, but surprising myself , I still want them there. Regardless of politics, i like the anger! That´s the one emotion lacking in most of the classics.

-I also find the overall sound a bit harsh. But can live with that.

So; a great record, with a wide range of emotions and beats!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-24 14:44 by Mikael.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 24, 2014 17:12

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
The last LP to get any respect world wide was a whopping two albums ago, BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Its songs got played on the tour, it sold pretty good and the videos were pretty good.

Can't say any of that about ABB.

But ABB had a song played on a daytime soap opera...B2B didn't

Yeah well VL had a song played on a nighttime soap opera and BTB didn't.

So there.

Date: September 24, 2014 17:19

NWSooner
Been hanging out at this site for over a decade and although I don't post often I very much respect the knowledge and love of the Stones hardcore fans her, but I seriously don't understand why the track from Bigger Bang "Dangerous Beauty" is not liked by most of them, I absolutely love that song and hope to hear it played live sometime before the Stones hang it up for good.

What is it that you don't like about the track, seriously?

For those of you that love it as I do, please back me up here!

Rock On, NWSooner

I love that song. It's similar to the sleaze of I Go Wild. One of the good tunes on ABB for sure.

The last three LPs... they could've been "better" with a good bit less.

VOODOO LOUNGE
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Jump On Top Of Me
The Worst
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I'm Gonna Drive
The Storm

BRIDGES TO BABYLON
Flip The Switch
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Lowdown
You Don't Have To Mean It
Out Of Control
Saint Of Me
Too Tight
Thief In The Night
How Can I Stop

A BIGGER BANG
Rough Justice
Let Me Down Slow
It Won't Take Long
Back Of My Hand
She Saw Me Coming
Biggest Mistake
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died

Date: September 24, 2014 17:22

treaclefingers
Elmo Lewis

Dangerous Beauty is a great song, best track on the album and I think the lyrics are hilarious and get right to the point.

In particular:

Who you got there in that hood, you look so fancy in those photographs
With your rubber gloves on you're a favourite with the Chiefs of Staff

You're doing such a wonderful job
You're a natural at working with dogs
Keeping everyone awake at night
With a touch of the prods

It's political but very clever, which I cannot say about Sweet Neo Con, which got all the press.

I think if they really wanted to get political they should have released Dangerous Beauty as the lead single.

Can you imagine the collective WTF expression hearing that for the first time as the single?

Dangerous Beauty was on the mark and kickin' where as Sweet Neo Con was snide, stupid and lame, on top of being a shitsack of a song. It IS amazing that DB was ignored in more ways than one.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 22:41

Like the last four Stones' LPs, A Bigger Bang has its moments. But I'll never confuse it with one of their truly great albums.

Speaking of Voodoo Lounge, I think a great deal of "Love Is Strong". It simmers instead of trying to run you down, and it works perfectly. "Saint of Me" works, too.

Both would appear on any Stones comp I was responsible for.

Date: September 26, 2014 20:50

Stoner72
Like the last four Stones' LPs, A Bigger Bang has its moments. But I'll never confuse it with one of their truly great albums.

Speaking of Voodoo Lounge, I think a great deal of "Love Is Strong". It simmers instead of trying to run you down, and it works perfectly. "Saint of Me" works, too.

Both would appear on any Stones comp I was responsible for.

Agreed. Overall a very good album (VL).

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2037
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home