Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 38 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 13, 2015 15:34

dcba
stewedandkeefed
Jann Wenner raved about the July 11th show in Rolling Stone at the time.

I think he raved about the first show of the L.A. residency (July 9) : like in NYC the rock royalty was invited to the opening night... and the band really delivered.

No I believe Jann Wenner wrote a review titled L.A. Friday Night from which the title slipped into common Stones patois when a bootleg company used the headline and accompanying photo as part of the paper insert on a vinyl bootleg

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: January 13, 2015 18:47

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 13, 2015 19:48

Looks like Mick is "losing altitude" in that pic. "Who's gonna tell him?" "Not me, YOU tell him!"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 13, 2015 20:28

stewedandkeefed
dcba
stewedandkeefed

I think he raved about the first show of the L.A. residency (July 9) : like in NYC the rock royalty was invited to the opening night... and the band really delivered.

No I believe Jann Wenner wrote a review titled L.A. Friday Night from which the title slipped into common Stones patois when a bootleg company used the headline and accompanying photo as part of the paper insert on a vinyl bootleg

When has Wenner ever not raved about the Stones? Don't know why it bothers me but it seems he is a bit too enamored with MJ to write anything other than bountiful praise, dripping with adoration. But, they have sold an awful lot of magazines for him.

peace

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: January 13, 2015 20:36

stewedandkeefed
dcba
stewedandkeefed

I agree that it's strange no one can definitively nail down the date for the video production. Again, I recall it being Sun 07/13. As for Jann Wenner's review in RS, I was with Annie. She was the TOTA photographer, but her 9-5 gig was still shooting for RS (and Jann Wenner). I wasn't at the Sat 07/12 show, but she told me Wenner was, and my leaky old memory tells me the article he wrote in RS included Saturday night in LA in the title. So my recollections are Sat night for Wenner and Sun night for the video production.

But IORR contributors have proven me to be wrong in the details before. Bottom line is that relative to the cosmos, does a day one way or the other make any difference? I suspect the earth will continue to rotate on its axis, and the sun will rise in the east and set in the west tomorrow, regardless of whether they recorded on 07/12 or 07/13, or if Wenner reviewed the 07/09, 07/11 or 07/12 show.

That being said, the reels of 2" high-band quad videotape would have dates on the boxes. Same for the 16 or 24 track audio tapes. Shouldn't be too hard for someone with access to these gems to look them up. The Stones may have a reputation for engaging in fringe behavior during that time period. But someone had their sh*t together when it came to details and properly storing archival materials. Otherwise we wouldn't be enjoying all these iconic recordings from the back in the day.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 13, 2015 20:43

Jann Wenner's review was called L.A. Friday Night and it appeared in the September 11, 1975 issue of Rolling Stone

Date: January 13, 2015 20:56

stewedandkeefed
Jann Wenner's review was called L.A. Friday Night and it appeared in the September 11, 1975 issue of Rolling Stone

See? I told you IORR contributors have proven me to be from left field when it comes to the details. I stand corrected. Again.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 13, 2015 23:01

1969Fan
But someone had their sh*t together when it came to details and properly storing archival materials. Otherwise we wouldn't be enjoying all these iconic recordings from the back in the day.

Yeah, obviously there is some quite some stuff saved from those days. But it seems like either things weren't labeled properly or the people overseeing the record releases couldn't write credits properly sometimes.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 15, 2015 14:46

Here an intelligent review I just found: [www.musictap.net]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 15, 2015 19:38

that is a great review !!!

Date: January 16, 2015 06:14

RobertJohnson

I agree. Good review. And it sounds like this person is speaking with authority on the continuing date mystery. As for how good or bad the performance(s) on the DVD and CD are, I am biased because I was there and therefore I value them. Did they play as well in 1975 as they did in 1969? Or 1972? Or with the fire they displayed in Brussels 1973? IMHO, no all counts. But the LA shows are an essential part of this Stones freak's library.

The more I listen to Ya Ya's, the more I like the straight ahead guitar-driven rock style they shared with their audiences on that iconic tour. And the Ladies and Gentlemen DVD, sloppily filmed and marginally recorded, is a classic 1972 Stone's performance. Sweet Virginia is over the top. It's too bad legal problems with Alan Klein prevented them from releasing their planned double pocket album with Stevie Wonder from the 1972 Tour.

I hope they will release Brussels on an affordable medium other than a download.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: January 16, 2015 12:50

1969Fan
I hope they will release Brussels on an affordable medium other than a download.

This!thumbs upsmileys with beersmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 21, 2015 00:24

1969Fan
RobertJohnson

I agree. Good review. And it sounds like this person is speaking with authority on the continuing date mystery. As for how good or bad the performance(s) on the DVD and CD are, I am biased because I was there and therefore I value them. Did they play as well in 1975 as they did in 1969? Or 1972? Or with the fire they displayed in Brussels 1973? IMHO, no all counts. But the LA shows are an essential part of this Stones freak's library.

The more I listen to Ya Ya's, the more I like the straight ahead guitar-driven rock style they shared with their audiences on that iconic tour. And the Ladies and Gentlemen DVD, sloppily filmed and marginally recorded, is a classic 1972 Stone's performance. Sweet Virginia is over the top. It's too bad legal problems with Alan Klein prevented them from releasing their planned double pocket album with Stevie Wonder from the 1972 Tour.

Re the ALLEN KLEIN dispute:

Anything now holding back a release of the Stones-Wonder recordings from 1972 ?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: January 22, 2015 02:04

Finally got these in the mail today, love it. I've been waiting for so long for this type of stuff from the Stones. How many years were we going to have to wait for them to start cashing in the vault like other bands from the era. What's a realistic next release? Atlantic City '89? I know that one is just sitting in the vault collecting dust and they could easily do the same thing they did with LA/Hampton to that show. Bring it on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-22 02:04 by mnewman505.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: January 22, 2015 12:41

They should also focus on the EXTRAS on the DVD releases.Like for example the Ft Worth 78 DVD release - four shows from that tour were pro - shot ( Memphis,Lexington,Houston & Oakland). Why not making a compilation of these recordings? Just like a Tourdiary with some interviews...and so on.
That would be great!

Date: January 22, 2015 13:00

jlowe
1969Fan
RobertJohnson

Why should it be more problematic to release a 1972 show than, say, shows from 73, 75 or 78? They all have Klein era songs.

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: January 22, 2015 23:23

DandelionPowderman
jlowe
1969Fan
RobertJohnson

Why should it be more problematic to release a 1972 show than, say, shows from 73, 75 or 78? They all have Klein era songs.
They were contractually prohibited from releasing a live album until around 1975, I believe. Part of the deal that allowed Brown Sugar/Wild Horses to be on both Rolling Stones Records AND ABKCO

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: January 31, 2015 01:50

I've got a glass of vodka and Tumbling Dice from this show on in DTS surround sound. If you haven't got it treat yourselves! A masterpiece in one song.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: February 1, 2015 00:28

My favourite version of TD (13 July). I just can't get enough of it!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 1, 2015 01:10

flairville
I've got a glass of vodka and Tumbling Dice from this show on in DTS surround sound. If you haven't got it treat yourselves! A masterpiece in one song.

thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2015 11:06

odean73
flairville

thumbs up

Are you implying you need to be drunk to enjoy this lame duck of a show? smoking smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 1, 2015 11:44

dcba
odean73
flairville

thumbs up

Are you implying you need to be drunk to enjoy this lame duck of a show? smoking smiley grinning smiley

Well, everything's better after a vodka!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 1, 2015 13:14

Just wondering what the next Vault release will be...

Jeroen

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2015 13:27

Atlantic City'89 would seem logical (not that I demand to have this one...)

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: February 1, 2015 19:59

dcba
odean73
flairville

thumbs up

White Havana rum is better.thumbs uphot smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 9, 2015 17:50

Well, i finally watched it last night with some trepidation as i've always regarded the mid 70s Stones live experience to be their poorest period but i was surprised to find i really enjoyed it in a strange sort of way. That said, it's not a period i can ever see myself immersing myself in bootleg wise but there is more of a chance that i might dip in now and again more than there was before last night. Top marks for the sound and picture quality.

LA Forum 1975 (FRom the vault)
Posted by: Dorn ()
Date: May 3, 2018 23:12

Hi
i am new here so i don´t know whether this topic had been brought up before
some sources say that the CD and DVD have been culled from 2 different dates. so do we actually have entire recordings here from 2 different concerts ?

Re: LA Forum 1975 (FRom the vault)
Date: May 3, 2018 23:26

Yep, two shows. Use the search function for more info about the release: "LIVE ALBUM TALK: LA Friday 75".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-04 08:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 3, 2018 23:42

From Zentgraf:
141114A 14th November: THE ROLLING STONES.
DVD + 2 CD's 'L.A. Forum (Live In 1975)' (Eagle Vision EAGDV038).
DVD filmed live in Los Angeles, July 11 (booklet erroneously says July 12), 1975.
Filmed by The Record Plant, recorded by Ron Nevison.
CD's recorded live in Los Angeles, July 13, 1975. Mixed by Bob Clearmountain.

[www.nzentgraf.de]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 4, 2018 00:13

These recordings are no different than the boots which I bought in the 70s. They must have used the same audio source, which is a bit strange. The quality of the audio is the same. Who was that bootlegger/taper of fame who recorded this, Mike something or other?

plexi

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 38 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home