Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 37 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: December 29, 2014 21:31

Brown Moses
Going back to the intro quotes,I feel the recent official release may have been edited.
The WWTCTS quote was definitely made,a bootleg album was named after it.Infact the whole quote went something like "WWTCTS,did Billy go to church,did Billy go to church,he just woke up in there from last night".Or something very similar.Even the "desperate tune up twins" bit doesn't seem complete as I remember it.
Someone needs to dig out the vinyl and compare.I used to have the 3 album box set on red,white and blue vinyl,but,take a deep breath,it disappeared when my parents moved house.

Before TD.

So sad you lost this boxed-set ! Actually a re-release of the 3 original IMP albums, with left-over inserts of "part one" with additional yellow "bicentennial" yellow sticker.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 30, 2014 02:21

RobertJohnson
1969Fan
1969Fan
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
1969Fan
24FPS
vudicus
24FPS
I think people are a little too excited to get the facts straight here. Which night is the one we've been watching on crappy, dark, audio challenged DVD boots all these years? I'd hesitate to say that was professionally filmed. Wasn't it determined that this was the internal video feed that the L.A. Forum used mainly for sporting events?

Is this upcoming DVD release a different night?

The bootleg is from the 11th, this is listed as the 12th.
The show we have on boot was filmed on videotape from the internal feed as you stated. There were some offical clips on youtube (from the 11th) when the audio releases came out and they looked pretty good considering the source. Much better than the multi-gen dub we have on bootleg.
Even A grainy videotaped LA 75 show with decent audio will still be an incredible release.

Here's the official "Happy" from the 11th

[www.rollingstones.com]

I have never heard anything about the footage from the 12th. Has anybody here ever seen any of it? Has any of it leaked online? It seems so unlikely that we could have an entirely pro-filmed concert from 1975. I've never read anything about this footage. If this is true, then it would be like a dream. I hope there's more to it than just a 98% focus on Jagger, like on L&GTRS. It always seemed so unfair that their most visual tour, the lotus stage of 1975, was never seen by a mass audience. And why release Hampton & LA '75 so close together? It'll make for a great Christmas, but they could have stretched it out a bit.

The date(s) seems to be an interesting subject. I worked with Annie Liebovitz, the Tour photographer, at the Jul 9 - 13 1975 LA shows. I attended all but the Sat Jul 12 show, when I was putting up prints Annie had shot of all the venues they had played to date for an after-concert party at nearby home.

Unless I have lost more of my mental faculties than I am aware, the only night a pro crew shot a show was Sun Jul 13. I remember Mick stepping on his mic cord during the opening of BS, and it's on the new 'From the Vaults' Forum DVD. So I'm quite sure the DVD is the Jul 13 show. Not Sat the 12th or Fri the 11th. BTW...this show was available for a limited time in the mid-late 1970s on 3/4" Umatic videocassette (the predecessor to Beta and VHS). I saw it for sale at a high end audio / video store in Beverly Hills.

The Jul 13 show was a full-blown video shoot, using Don Kirschners' Rock Concert mobile unit, multiple cameras, and a separate truck to record the audio. I could be wrong...I am getting old...but Sun was the only night all that gear was there and in use. It would have been hard to miss on the other nights.

The audio on the DVD is not from the 13th. Or do you mean that what they released as the July 13th show (earlier and now) is misdated?

In respect to the show on 13th we have an intrinsic argument for dating. Mick Jagger asked the question immediately before the beginning of TD: "Who went to church this Sunday?" That makes only sense on a Sunday. The only show in LA 75 which took place on a Sunday was on the 13th.

I watched the lead in, and end of, TD from the 1975 Forum show. I didn't hear the 'going to church line'. I do recall a line like that in Some Girls Live Texas 1978.

I also watched the first part of BS LA 1975 again. Mick steps on his mic cord while walking toward the back of the stage. I remember seeing him do so while standing behind the stage near Stu's concert grand and Preston's keyboard. I thought then that Mick would probably be upset with himself...having a miscue with a cable while on TV. Unprofessional. Funny that I can remember that. Half the time I can't remember what I did this morning.

Dear mate, you can't watch that, precisely because the question: "Who went to church this Sunday? is only on the CD. And the both CDs feature obviously a different concert ...[/quote
Thanks for the heads up. I haven't played the 1975 Forum Vault CD yet.. They could have lifted that line from almost anywhere.

Some people have written that this is not necessarily the Stones at their best. Can't argue with that. But this show, Ladies and Gentlemen, and Some Girls TX fill out the live gap between Gimme Shelter and Let's Spend the Night Together (and GYYYO and Still Life). Ladies and Gentlemen and the TOTA Forum show are technically lacking, but they are must-have performances for Stones freaks. The Some Girls DVD is a shit kicker. I'm amazed it took them as long as it did to release it.

BTW...speaking of Gimme Shelter, a friend and I looked up the set list from the 2nd Dec 8 1969 Forum show, took the remaster of GYYYO, inserted the unreleased tracks from the GYYYO boxed set, and came up with Get All Your Ya Ya's Out. The complete 15 song set the way those of us who stayed up until sunrise Dec 9 1969 experienced it. Not hard to do with basic editing software. Try it. You might like it.

I think there's a case for GYYYO being the best commercially released live Stones recording ever. (Not counting Brussels Oct 17 1973). Simple. Basic shake-your-ass rock & roll. I can't imagine what the people who were at MSG thought when they may have been expecting to hear the Stones play their successful commercial stuff, and instead were assaulted with the bluesy, guitar driven rock & roll set we're all used to hearing in GYYYO...JJF, Ya Gott'a Move, Midnight Rambler, Honky Tonk Women, Prodigal Son...Wow!

If you get a chance, read Jimmy Johnson's account of the Dec 1969 Mussel Shoals recording sessions. They were completely under the radar. Glyn Johns wasn't there, so Johnson, a Mussel Shoals Sound Studio founder and member of the resident rhythm section, engineered them. They walked away with Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and Ya Gott'a Move under their arms. Three tunes, two of them iconic recordings, in three days. It shows what a band that is on fire can do with a 8-track tape machine and a 10-channel console.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: December 30, 2014 05:27

It's interesting that there has always been confusion over the dates. "LA Friday" has long thought to be the Sunday (7/13/75). The church statement is made on that recording. The Stones released the official recording previously (~2012). AFAIK, they dated it 7/13.

The new release says the video is from the 12th. This is new to everyone, as it has been long thought that the video footage is from the 11th. Audio recordings exist from all Forum dates. It is possible that they could have been mixed up from the beginning.

Seems like we are no closer to a consensus. Bizarre, really.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: December 30, 2014 08:24

Ah yes,it's inbetween Happy and TD.
I'd always thought the comment was part of the intros.
Shows how easy it is to mix these things up.

I've still got the paper cover with the yellow sticker which came with the box set but not the box set and vinyl itself.I believe that was the original cover of the WWTCTS single album.
My vinyl copies of London Calling and Sandinista disappeared at about the same time.
All my other records were intact,so there must be a Clash loving Stones bootleg vinyl freak around somewhere ;-)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 30, 2014 10:25

Good to see the offensive post was deleted! Thanks IORR. I have removed it from my quote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-30 12:48 by whitem8.

Date: December 30, 2014 10:30

banditpanda
1969 quote " The Some Girls DVD is a shit kicker "
You know '69 I've had that DVD for some time now and I haven't been able to get thru maybe a quarter of it 'cause Jagger was acting so gay around Ronnie it just turned me.
If you can tell me he stops acting like that not long after and the show does be come a shit kicker instead of a shit packer I may try to watch it thru.
Let me know.
Thanks
B.P.

Are you serious? eye popping smiley

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 30, 2014 10:55

I saw three of the five shows in L.A. '75, including the first and last. The who went to church bit was definitely the Sunday show, which was the best one I saw that run.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 30, 2014 13:32

Quote 1969Fan: "Thanks for the heads up. I haven't played the 1975 Forum Vault CD yet.. They could have lifted that line from almost anywhere."

"Who went to church this Sunday" is on the boots, too. That means, if your suggestion is right, that the Stones, who have their own tapes, cut in the same line, although they dated the show on the 13th. Insofar your statement is a little bit sophisticated. Further MJ mumbles between Star, Star and Gimme Shelter: "This is our last show in LA so far ... this year." A little too much lifting, I think.

Date: December 30, 2014 13:36

There is no doubt whatsoever, about the date being correct or not. We've known for decades that this show took place on Sunday 13th of July 1975.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:58

1969Fan

If you get a chance, read Jimmy Johnson's account of the Dec 1969 Mussel Shoals recording sessions. They were completely under the radar. Glyn Johns wasn't there, so Johnson, a Mussel Shoals Sound Studio founder and member of the resident rhythm section, engineered them. They walked away with Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, and Ya Gott'a Move under their arms. Three tunes, two of them iconic recordings, in three days. It shows what a band that is on fire can do with a 8-track tape machine and a 10-channel console.

Well it shows what Jimmy Johnson can do with a band that is on fire and an 8-track tape machine and 10 channel console.

peace

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: January 6, 2015 21:43

Naturalust
1969Fan

Well it shows what Jimmy Johnson can do with a band that is on fire and an 8-track tape machine and 10 channel console.

peace

Johnson said he went outside and sat down on the front stoop of the studio around 2am the first night...when the band had found its groove. He said the building was vibrating, and that he's never experienced anything like working with the Stones since.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 7, 2015 07:52

1969Fan
Naturalust
1969Fan

peace

Johnson said he went outside and sat down on the front stoop of the studio around 2am the first night...when the band had found its groove. He said the building was vibrating, and that he's never experienced anything like working with the Stones since.

This exchange above about Jimmy Johnson is interesting. I don't even know who he is. Is he the guy shown in Gimme Shelter that quotes the Hee-Haw line "y'all come back now, y'hear" ?

Not to be goofy or challenging about questioning it, but simply because I'm interested in Jimmy Johnson and this brief (but significant) slice of Stones history, do you happen to know where it's documented that he shared those comments about the Stones at 2:00 a.m. and never experiencing anything like it again? I'm just really curious and would like to delve a little deeper into the Muscle Shoals stuff a bit more.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 7, 2015 10:22

You can read the Jagger's words here:

Thanks to Olaf and Andreas

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: January 7, 2015 11:22

Jimmy Johnson played bass on a track of mine once. He is one funky white man.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 7, 2015 19:35

Can anyone post a video of the intro "Opening of the Lotus and HTW"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 7, 2015 20:08

1969Fan
He said the building was vibrating

Could the vibrations come from Keef's Twin amp blaring in the night at full volume? Reportedly he tracked his guitar parts for BS at a very high volume.

Date: January 8, 2015 00:43

dcba
1969Fan

Could the vibrations come from Keef's Twin amp blaring in the night at full volume? Reportedly he tracked his guitar parts for BS at a very high volume.

But not with a twin? smiling smiley

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 8, 2015 13:27

Ok...so it seems the next release will be Marquee 1971.
Do The Stones actually have most of their shows recorded??
So far it seems we are simply getting what we kmow is out there and of decent quality.
Any danger The Stones might release something completely obscure???
One thinks maybe a casual fan or non fan is picking and choosing these DVD releases? Maybe what has been semi-worked on previously?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 8, 2015 14:09

DandelionPowderman
dcba
1969Fan

But not with a twin? smiling smiley

Silverface Twin.

Mathijs

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: January 10, 2015 07:16

I was properly watching this thing (the thing in the subject header) for the first time, and I noticed the first sax solo on YCAGWYW was completely inaudible, probably due to the fact that the guy didn't have a mic in front of him. He was featured again at the end of the song, but this time loud and mic'ed (unfortunately). I was wondering who he was, until Jagger thanked him after the song. How many times did Trevor Lawrence play on YCAGWYW? Was it just for the LA Forum shows? Just for July 11th (I mean 12th?)?

And why the hell hasn't the date on this show been resolved, anyway? cool smiley
I've seen several unsolved mystery threads here (Who is Anita's Friend, Is this a picture of Brian Jones, e.g.), and I don't particularly care about those, but come on! What's the deal with the date discrepancy?

Date: January 10, 2015 19:03

Er, Lawrence played on the Brussels shows in 73 and the rest of that tour, after Bobby's bath tub incident. He was invited back as a guest.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2015 19:18

Rank Stranger
You can read the Jagger's words here:

Thanks to Olaf and Andreas

Holy CRAP that is hilarious!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 10, 2015 19:20

I thought 'Y'all come back now ya hear' was Keith...

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 12, 2015 21:11

I have finally finished listening to this release. I asked for it for Christmas and never got it, so I bought it. WOW does the CD (13th) smoke compared to the DVD (whatever date). The DVD was great for the visual document....but the CDs are a reminder why the 13th has been ranked so high as a boot for years.....be it "I Never Talked to Chuck Berry", etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-12 23:13 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: January 13, 2015 01:21

Only a couple of days ago did I buy the LA Forum DVD. Loved it cos they fixed the sound. I just listen to the audio. I don't watch the DVD. Stereo mix greatly improved my perception of this show be it the 11th or 12th. Jann Wenner raved about the July 11th show in Rolling Stone at the time. I never heard what he liked listening to the old boot DVD but the home DVD release was way better than I anticipated. Having said that I think Keith is too low in the mix but I am quibbling

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 13, 2015 12:14

stewedandkeefed
I just listen to the audio. I don't watch the DVD.

eye popping smiley

If it wasn't for the visuals I wouldn't care much at all about this dvd. I agree totally with what floodonthepage said above. But I gotta say the dvd was better than I anticipated as well (though my expectations were kinda low).

Date: January 13, 2015 12:24

stewedandkeefed
Only a couple of days ago did I buy the LA Forum DVD. Loved it cos they fixed the sound. I just listen to the audio. I don't watch the DVD. Stereo mix greatly improved my perception of this show be it the 11th or 12th. Jann Wenner raved about the July 11th show in Rolling Stone at the time. I never heard what he liked listening to the old boot DVD but the home DVD release was way better than I anticipated. Having said that I think Keith is too low in the mix but I am quibbling

Keith is definitely not too low in the mix?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 13, 2015 13:59

DandelionPowderman
stewedandkeefed

That is surprising, in fact. It is my impression that Keith is a little bit too prominent on the DVD and thus Ronnie a little bit too low. I like more the mix from the 13th. It is perfect in my opinion.

Date: January 13, 2015 14:36

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
stewedandkeefed

That is surprising, in fact. It is my impression that Keith is a little bit too prominent on the DVD and thus Ronnie a little bit too low. I like more the mix from the 13th. It is perfect in my opinion.

Indeed it is. I agree with you about Ronnie (and the 13th show).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 13, 2015 14:42

stewedandkeefed
Jann Wenner raved about the July 11th show in Rolling Stone at the time.

I think he raved about the first show of the L.A. residency (July 9) : like in NYC the rock royalty was invited to the opening night... and the band really delivered.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 37 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1978
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home