Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 36 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 27, 2014 19:07

24FPS
LieB
The booklet is fine, but the writing in it could have been more revelatory.

That is kind of a drag, that we don't get any real background on this release. We don't know the origin of the tape. On Some Girls in Texas we got the back story that Mick hired somebody to film it, etc. On this DVD there are things crying out for more info, but we get only surface info. Maybe this can be attributed to Mick being busy with touring and the emotional aftermath of the suicide to be bothered with such a trifle as LA '75. But I have really enjoyed this release. Incredible what we have received over the past few years.

The Stones used Don Kirschner's Rock Concert mobile unit to shoot and record the July 13 TOTA Forum show. There was a shortage of handheld cameras because NASA had something going on in Florida. The handhelds those days were rare and heavy. But they had plenty of large studio cameras placed around the Forum. I think they may have been RCAs, or maybe Norelcos. It's been awhile. The audio was recorded on two Ampex 2" machines, not sure if they were 16 or 24 track. The video was recorded on 2" high band quad. Those tapes weren't good for many passes through a VTR, so it's surprising there was much left for them to restore this show, nearly 40 years later.

Note...comparing the Eagle Rock 1975 LA DVD to the Eagle Rock 1981 Hampton Roads DVD shows how much better the equipment was in 1981, and how much better the Stones' crew lit for video in 1981. Even though the 1981 show was shot in standard NTSC video, the Blu-ray video quality is several orders of magnitude better than the 1975 DVD. I'm not sure there's any point in releasing the TOTA DVD in Blu-ray. The detail simply isn't there. But it's a historic show, and I've waited for years to for it to become available.

I stuck my head in the audio truck during the show and was amazed that Mick's mic was so well isolated that when the engineer put his voice up on the truck monitors, you couldn't hear the band. I think the monitors were typical 1970s vintage JBL 4310s, the commercial version of the wildly successful JBL L100s.

I had an opportunity to watch a playback a day or so later in LA, but I was working with Annie Liebovitz, the TOTA photographer, and we didn't have time. This concert was commercially available for a very limited time on 3/4" Umatic videocassette...the predecessor to Beta and VHS. I saw it for sale at a high end audio / video store in Beverly Hills.

Now...when will they bless us with an affordable 1973 Brussels recording? Not a compressed download, or astronomically priced vinyl. A CD. IMHO, Brussels is the best concert the Stones ever recorded.

Date: December 27, 2014 19:38

dcba
1969Fan

I assisted Annie Liebovitz, the 1975 tour photographer, at the LA shows,

Fan, is it true she was even more wasted than the band during the TOTA?

No. She was totally aware of the opportunity that was before her, and she took it very seriously. Annie is a genius and the Stones knew it. She did what she does best...taking time to gain the trust of her subjects, and getting images no one else can.

Google Annie Liebovitz Rolling Stones Philadelphia 1975. It's a wide angle b&w shot of Keith playing guitar in the foreground with Mick about 3' in the air in the background, mic in hand, singing. It's what Rock & Roll is all about. An unbelievable image.

Wasted? It was 1975. She was on the road with the Stones. So she probably didn't spend much time in Temple during the Tour. But she got it done. During the MSG shows I looked over her contact sheets. Amazing images. I went to LA to set up a shooting space between the stage at the Forum and their cars. As they passed through, she got a handful of shots of them while the audience was still screaming for more. This is not something she could have pulled off in an altered state.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: December 27, 2014 20:46

Very interesting comments 1969fan.
Loving it.

More please ;-)

I'm with you on Brussels,in particular the boot with GS & SFM from the London shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-27 20:52 by Brown Moses.

Date: December 27, 2014 21:21

24FPS
vudicus
24FPS
I think people are a little too excited to get the facts straight here. Which night is the one we've been watching on crappy, dark, audio challenged DVD boots all these years? I'd hesitate to say that was professionally filmed. Wasn't it determined that this was the internal video feed that the L.A. Forum used mainly for sporting events?

Is this upcoming DVD release a different night?

The bootleg is from the 11th, this is listed as the 12th.
The show we have on boot was filmed on videotape from the internal feed as you stated. There were some offical clips on youtube (from the 11th) when the audio releases came out and they looked pretty good considering the source. Much better than the multi-gen dub we have on bootleg.
Even A grainy videotaped LA 75 show with decent audio will still be an incredible release.

Here's the official "Happy" from the 11th

[www.rollingstones.com]

I have never heard anything about the footage from the 12th. Has anybody here ever seen any of it? Has any of it leaked online? It seems so unlikely that we could have an entirely pro-filmed concert from 1975. I've never read anything about this footage. If this is true, then it would be like a dream. I hope there's more to it than just a 98% focus on Jagger, like on L&GTRS. It always seemed so unfair that their most visual tour, the lotus stage of 1975, was never seen by a mass audience. And why release Hampton & LA '75 so close together? It'll make for a great Christmas, but they could have stretched it out a bit.

The date(s) seems to be an interesting subject. I worked with Annie Liebovitz, the Tour photographer, at the Jul 9 - 13 1975 LA shows. I attended all but the Sat Jul 12 show, when I was putting up prints Annie had shot of all the venues they had played to date for an after-concert party at nearby home.

Unless I have lost more of my mental faculties than I am aware, the only night a pro crew shot a show was Sun Jul 13. I remember Mick stepping on his mic cord during the opening of BS, and it's on the new 'From the Vaults' Forum DVD. So I'm quite sure the DVD is the Jul 13 show. Not Sat the 12th or Fri the 11th. BTW...this show was available for a limited time in the mid-late 1970s on 3/4" Umatic videocassette (the predecessor to Beta and VHS). I saw it for sale at a high end audio / video store in Beverly Hills.

The Jul 13 show was a full-blown video shoot, using Don Kirschners' Rock Concert mobile unit, multiple cameras, and a separate truck to record the audio. I could be wrong...I am getting old...but Sun was the only night all that gear was there and in use. It would have been hard to miss on the other nights.

Date: December 27, 2014 21:57

Brown Moses
Very interesting comments 1969fan.
Loving it.

More please ;-)

I'm with you on Brussels,in particular the boot with GS & SFM from the London shows.

Backstage those 5 nights at the Forum were 'A' list affairs. I was in way over my head and stayed out of the way. Keith did his best to avoid Bob Dylan, who I was told was a fan. The after-concert party I mentioned was at Diana Ross's home. I think Atlantic Records put it on. Again, a big-time 'A' list event. Police blocking off the street, etc. A big deal.

George Hamilton tried to crash the party, dressed in a gold lame cowboy suit. I don't recall if he got in or not. The Stones showed up after the show, minus Mick, and pretty much stayed to themselves, sitting around a table next to the pool. I was trying my best to look cool, when I spotted someone I knew from back east standing on the other side of the pool. So at least I had someone I could talk to. It was a fun night.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: December 28, 2014 00:55

Thanks 1969Fan for all the info. Very much appreciated

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: December 28, 2014 01:23

1969Fan
24FPS
vudicus
24FPS
I think people are a little too excited to get the facts straight here. Which night is the one we've been watching on crappy, dark, audio challenged DVD boots all these years? I'd hesitate to say that was professionally filmed. Wasn't it determined that this was the internal video feed that the L.A. Forum used mainly for sporting events?

The show we have on boot was filmed on videotape from the internal feed as you stated. There were some offical clips on youtube (from the 11th) when the audio releases came out and they looked pretty good considering the source. Much better than the multi-gen dub we have on bootleg.
Even A grainy videotaped LA 75 show with decent audio will still be an incredible release.

[www.rollingstones.com]

I have never heard anything about the footage from the 12th. Has anybody here ever seen any of it? Has any of it leaked online? It seems so unlikely that we could have an entirely pro-filmed concert from 1975. I've never read anything about this footage. If this is true, then it would be like a dream. I hope there's more to it than just a 98% focus on Jagger, like on L&GTRS. It always seemed so unfair that their most visual tour, the lotus stage of 1975, was never seen by a mass audience. And why release Hampton & LA '75 so close together? It'll make for a great Christmas, but they could have stretched it out a bit.

The date(s) seems to be an interesting subject. I worked with Annie Liebovitz, the Tour photographer, at the Jul 9 - 13 1975 LA shows. I attended all but the Sat Jul 12 show, when I was putting up prints Annie had shot of all the venues they had played to date for an after-concert party at nearby home.

Unless I have lost more of my mental faculties than I am aware, the only night a pro crew shot a show was Sun Jul 13. I remember Mick stepping on his mic cord during the opening of BS, and it's on the new 'From the Vaults' Forum DVD. So I'm quite sure the DVD is the Jul 13 show. Not Sat the 12th or Fri the 11th. BTW...this show was available for a limited time in the mid-late 1970s on 3/4" Umatic videocassette (the predecessor to Beta and VHS). I saw it for sale at a high end audio / video store in Beverly Hills.

The Jul 13 show was a full-blown video shoot, using Don Kirschners' Rock Concert mobile unit, multiple cameras, and a separate truck to record the audio. I could be wrong...I am getting old...but Sun was the only night all that gear was there and in use. It would have been hard to miss on the other nights.

The audio on the DVD is not from the 13th. Or do you mean that what they released as the July 13th show (earlier and now) is misdated?

Date: December 28, 2014 01:38

DandelionPowderman
1969Fan
24FPS
vudicus
24FPS

[www.rollingstones.com]

The audio on the DVD is not from the 13th. Or do you mean that what they released as the July 13th show (earlier and now) is misdated?

Like I said, I'm getting old. I shared what I remember, right or wrong, from having been there for 4 of the 5 nights. Bottom line is that it's a historic show and a a historic recording, regardless of the date...the 11th, the 12th, or the 13th. I've wanted to experience this concert again for many many years, and I'm pleased it's finally here for us to enjoy. So, Enjoy!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 28, 2014 03:04

Thank you 1969Fan for coloring in some of what really happened. It's also fascinating that you say it was available on a long dormant video format. I wonder if it's the same edit we have now? That would be quite a collector's item.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 28, 2014 14:42

DandelionPowderman
1969Fan
24FPS
vudicus
24FPS

[www.rollingstones.com]

In respect to the show on 13th we have an intrinsic argument for dating. Mick Jagger asked the question immediately before the beginning of TD: "Who went to church this Sunday?" That makes only sense on a Sunday. The only show in LA 75 which took place on a Sunday was on the 13th.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 28, 2014 17:04

I got this for Christmas and I continue to say what I have said about the 1975-76 Stones all along the band is outstanding but it is Mick Jagger's worst tour he sounds AWFUL!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 28, 2014 17:20

slew
I got this for Christmas and I continue to say what I have said about the 1975-76 Stones all along the band is outstanding but it is Mick Jagger's worst tour he sounds AWFUL!!

I agree, but you take it for what it is.

As an enthusiast it's an interesting curio, but I wouldn't sit down with my friends and make them watch it.

Date: December 28, 2014 19:02

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
1969Fan
24FPS
vudicus
24FPS

[www.rollingstones.com]

In respect to the show on 13th we have an intrinsic argument for dating. Mick Jagger asked the question immediately before the beginning of TD: "Who went to church this Sunday?" That makes only sense on a Sunday. The only show in LA 75 which took place on a Sunday was on the 13th.

Re: Mick's line about church...Stones fans could make good detectives. The date debate continues. Rock On. I'm sticking with Sun Jul 13.

Date: December 28, 2014 23:25

13th was on a Sunday. Never heard before that this show was filmed.
12th was the Fa Fa Fa-show
11th was the wasted Keith show that we got on dvd now. Mick wore different stage outfits on the 12th.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 28, 2014 23:39

1969Fan were you "around" when that shot was taken?

[twitter.com]

(I've always loved it!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-28 23:40 by dcba.

Date: December 29, 2014 01:57

dcba
1969Fan were you "around" when that shot was taken?

[twitter.com]

(I've always loved it!)

If you're referring to the LA Forum video shoot, yes.

If you're talking about the b&w 1975 Philly shot I referred to in another thread of Keith playing in the foreground and Mick 3'in the air, mic in hand, behind him, no. I wasn't there.

When I worked with Annie at the LA shows I had a job to do...to make sure the 12' seamless paper backdrop, strobe, and camera were ready for her after the show. She worked alone during the concerts and I stayed out of the way. I spent most of my time checking out the shows from various locations in the audience. She had a job to do, the Stones were working, and the people who made sure everything worked were busy. They didn't need me getting in the way.

That Philly shot is my all time favorite Annie shot, and is the best photo of rock & roll I've ever seen. IMHO it captures the Stones at the peak of their Tours. 1969, 1972, 1975. The Mick Taylor-early Ron Wood days.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 29, 2014 04:37

Thinking about this release makes me believe they put it out for us hard core fans. I don't think anyone else would be interested in buying it. So thanks to them for giving something we didn't have, at least in decent quality. Hope the future "vault releases" will continue to surprise us.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 29, 2014 10:25

1969 apologies for being not very clear but I was referring to the backstage picture taken during the L.A. residency that's in the Twitter link.

Date: December 29, 2014 10:30

A funny thing happened during Angie (the 11th show). You can see Mick mis-cuing Billy in on his solo, while Billy refuses to play/ignores it (Mick says "we'll save that for later on"). When the time comes for his hammond solo, we get a close up of Mick, where he devilishly looks over his shoulder and choose to sing another verse and then finish the song without Billy's solo.

Lots of great stuff like this happening in this show smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2014 16:20

DandelionPowderman
A funny thing happened during Angie (the 11th show). You can see Mick mis-cuing Billy in on his solo, while Billy refuses to play/ignores it (Mick says "we'll save that for later on"). When the time comes for his hammond solo, we get a close up of Mick, where he devilishly looks over his shoulder and choose to sing another verse and then finish the song without Billy's solo.

Lots of great stuff like this happening in this show smiling smiley

you don't f*ck with MJ.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 29, 2014 16:39

Question---When Jagger introduces the band. What does he say
about Ronnie Wood?

I don't understand what he says.

Date: December 29, 2014 16:48

hot stuff
Question---When Jagger introduces the band. What does he say
about Ronnie Wood?

I don't understand what he says.

"On guitar, Ron Wood, from the Faces pop group".

Something like that...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 29, 2014 16:51

Oh...Thanks. haha.....

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: December 29, 2014 17:10

I got the LA '75 vinyl/DVD packages the other night. What a joy! '75 was my first tour and I hadn't seen it (in full) since I saw it. The film is fascinating, Jagger-centric with barely a hint of Keith, and the odd camera angles kept it interesting. I'd like to know who the mortician was doing Jagger's make up on that tour. Yea gads!

Date: December 29, 2014 17:12

rbk
I got the LA '75 vinyl/DVD packages the other night. What a joy! '75 was my first tour and I hadn't seen it (in full) since I saw it. The film is fascinating, Jagger-centric with barely a hint of Keith, and the odd camera angles kept it interesting. I'd like to know who the mortician was doing Jagger's make up on that tour. Yea gads!

Did we get the same DVD? Try Live In Texas for a film with barely a hint of Keith smiling smiley

Date: December 29, 2014 18:11

If we're talking about the same backstage photo...the band along with Billy Preston and Ollie Brown, all from the waist up, in front of a white background...yes. That's Annie's photo for which I came to LA. I would guess she didn't get more than 5 or 10 frames off. The Twitter shot is an out take from the same sequence. In the shot that was published in Rolling Stone, Keith is lighting a cigaratte. And Mick looks like he could be saying, "Ohhhh..Baby..." at the beginning of the 1973 Brussels 'Midnight Rambler'. It's a cool shot. Again, something only Annie thought up and pulled off. She has gone on to greater heights, but she was at her rock & roll photojournalism peak during TOTA.

Date: December 29, 2014 19:48

1969Fan
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
1969Fan
24FPS
vudicus
24FPS

[www.rollingstones.com]

I watched the lead in, and end of, TD from the 1975 Forum show. I didn't hear the 'going to church line'. I do recall a line like that in Some Girls Live Texas 1978.

I also watched the first part of BS LA 1975 again. Mick steps on his mic cord while walking toward the back of the stage. I remember seeing him do so while standing behind the stage near Stu's concert grand and Preston's keyboard. I thought then that Mick would probably be upset with himself...having a miscue with a cable while on TV. Unprofessional. Funny that I can remember that. Half the time I can't remember what I did this morning.

Date: December 29, 2014 20:27

DandelionPowderman
rbk

Did we get the same DVD? Try Live In Texas for a film with barely a hint of Keith smiling smiley

If you want a DVD with barely a hint of Keith, or anyone else for that matter, try Ladies & Gentlemen.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: December 29, 2014 20:44

Going back to the intro quotes,I feel the recent official release may have been edited.
The WWTCTS quote was definitely made,a bootleg album was named after it.Infact the whole quote went something like "WWTCTS,did Billy go to church,did Billy go to church,he just woke up in there from last night".Or something very similar.Even the "desperate tune up twins" bit doesn't seem complete as I remember it.
Someone needs to dig out the vinyl and compare.I used to have the 3 album box set on red,white and blue vinyl,but,take a deep breath,it disappeared when my parents moved house.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: December 29, 2014 21:15

1969Fan
1969Fan
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
1969Fan
24FPS
vudicus
24FPS

[www.rollingstones.com]

I watched the lead in, and end of, TD from the 1975 Forum show. I didn't hear the 'going to church line'. I do recall a line like that in Some Girls Live Texas 1978.

I also watched the first part of BS LA 1975 again. Mick steps on his mic cord while walking toward the back of the stage. I remember seeing him do so while standing behind the stage near Stu's concert grand and Preston's keyboard. I thought then that Mick would probably be upset with himself...having a miscue with a cable while on TV. Unprofessional. Funny that I can remember that. Half the time I can't remember what I did this morning.

Dear mate, you can't watch that, precisely because the question: "Who went to church this Sunday? is only on the CD. And the both CDs feature obviously a different concert ...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3031323334353637383940Next
Current Page: 36 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home