Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: November 21, 2014 13:35

Pure and dirty rock'n'roll. As it should be.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: November 21, 2014 13:42

Out of all the tours 75 is perhaps until now the most under exposed. Unless you lived through it (I didn't) then you have no expectation as to what it was like - and sometimes reality can be a shock.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:37

MrThompsonWooft
Out of all the tours 75 is perhaps until now the most under exposed. Unless you lived through it (I didn't) then you have no expectation as to what it was like - and sometimes reality can be a shock.

From the top of my head, I can think of several great Stones tours that are still more underexposed: 1970, 1971, 1982 ... even 1978 despite the brilliant Some Girls in Texas, and perhaps even 1973 due to the fact that it didn't generate an official release until the Brussels Affair official bootleg, and no video.

With the LA '75 audio and video coupled with Love You Live, the '75-76 tour is still officially more exposed than the '72-73 jaunt, if you don't count books, media exposure and bootlegs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 17:29 by LieB.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 21, 2014 21:03

Turd On The Run
Could not disagree more. Mythic tour. I saw the Stones in Madison Square Garden in 1975 on nights 1 and 4 of their 6 night stand in New York. This is one of the Stones' most interesting (and polarizing) tours. You literally HAD TO BE THERE to understand the vibe and the raunch and the pure decadence. Seeing it for the first time on DVD and judging the Stones from this is like trying to explain late-era Dietrich or Garland or Sinatra to people who never saw them live...impossible. The atmosphere crackled with danger and testosterone and the buzz was palpable. First tour with Ronnie...the Stones re-appear from their Glam Rock period after losing Mich Taylor and are now the ultimate Debauched Party Rock Band. It was an entirely different vibe and energy than the 1972 STP and 1973 Asian/European jaunts -- funkier, sloppier, and brighter. I know it is conventional wisdom to claim that the 1975 TOTA was a clear step down from the preceding tours, (I always deeply loved this particular tour...no band ever looked more "hip, zonked-out, give-a-fukc jet-set outlaws" than the Stones on this tour) but that is not a fair assessment of the tour as a whole...there was so much more...a lot of it was utterly visceral and rock and roll of the highest order (in the context of its time) and you know what?...as slipshod and shambolic as they were some nights (a flood of coke, heroin, groupies...) the tour was a messy, explosive, ear-deafening detonation! This release captures it perfectly...the agony, the ecstasy, the depravity, the decadence, and the excess. Glorious.

nice try totr but as good as your post was you just cant explain it to them- you were either there or you werent.

i saw shows on that tour in 3 different cities,that band was flat out smokin hot-good luck trying to recreate in your minds a 45 show tour that lasted almost all summer with that shitty video from one night in L.A. and a few bootlegs...im sure it looks and sounds just the same as being there.
when someone said they sounded better after 89 i almost spit coffee all over my desk[thanks for a good laugh to start my day though]

in the future you'll hear about how much europe and australia sucked in 2014 and you guys who were there just imagined it was great,you know..caught up in the moment or something-people watching the cell phone videos on youtube will tell you all about how it really was.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: November 21, 2014 21:51

Justin
Noticed a wonky moment on the DVD...JJF the last song, right before mick and Ollie pull out the inflatable dragon from under the stage, suddenly the sound does not match the video. Look specifically at Charlie..the fills you hear are nothing at all where he's playing. YOu can hear him do the disco beat with the hi-hat for a few bars yet he's obviously on the ride. The sound eventually does match up for a moment but then the angle changes. Not sure what happened there; missing audio they had to replace or a glitch in the video/audio sync. Either way, it is noticeable if you focus on Charlie.

Dooh! I noticed a similar phenomenon for a brief moment while watching the Star Star preview video on YouTube a couple weeks back. Don't remember the exact moment but it's there. I pointed it out to my wife as soon as I saw/heard it - overdubs (or non-synched video)!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 21, 2014 22:28

So how did "Happy" come out? Is it shot from the back or does it show Keith Singing?

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 22:38

you don't see Keith singing the first verse but you do for the last 2 ones.
and I think that the sound is not very good on this one. Ron Wood is very low in the mix

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: November 22, 2014 00:33

MrThompsonWooft

Sometimes reality can be a shock? -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 06:48 by Tonstone.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: November 22, 2014 00:45

jpasc95
Ron Wood is very low in the mix

Very true, and it's especially annoying during If You Can't Rock Me, where I'm used to hearing Ronnie's awesome playing very clear on Love You Live, but on this release he kind of gets drowned out by the rest of the band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 01:06 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 22, 2014 01:41

Finally got mine today, hopefully giving it a close eye and ear over Thanksgiving weekend!!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 22, 2014 14:07

I watched the first half, it's great...much better than I expected sound, picture and performance-wise. Mick and Keith's eye shadow looks pretty cheesey though, even for 1975. Good thing Mick grew out of that, too bad Keith never did. I still think he looks pretty silly wearing eye liner.

It leaves me wondering just how many concerts are out there that were pro-filmed from start to finish that have not been released. If anyone who knows would take the time to compile a list, I'd like to see it. That would give us a good idea of what may be coming up in the Vault series.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 14:10 by shadooby.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: November 22, 2014 14:52

shadooby
I watched the first half, it's great...much better than I expected sound, picture and performance-wise. Mick and Keith's eye shadow looks pretty cheesey though, even for 1975. Good thing Mick grew out of that, too bad Keith never did. I still think he looks pretty silly wearing eye liner.

It leaves me wondering just how many concerts are out there that were pro-filmed from start to finish that have not been released. If anyone who knows would take the time to compile a list, I'd like to see it. That would give us a good idea of what may be coming up in the Vault series.

I've heard that almost everything since 1989 were pro-filmed. Before 1989 it's very hard for us to know what's been filmed, but I'm sure there is at least a few pro-filmed concerts from the 70's that we don't know of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 14:53 by EasterMan.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 22, 2014 15:06

LA FORUM 73 was rumored to have been filmed although I doubt it

Date: November 22, 2014 15:21

IORR-ers might enjoy reading through this review and appreciation of LA 75 and Hampton 81 on my Huffington Post blog. The music is mighty, mighty fine...
[www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: November 22, 2014 15:38

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 19:49 by midnrambler.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 22, 2014 16:37

Shambolic, raw, dirty with that vintage 1970 blue movie lightning, I have really grown into it. Pure rock and roll decadence with a dusting of glam rock. Essential viewing for real fans but definitely not one for casuals.smoking smileysmileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 16:55 by desertblues68.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 22, 2014 18:25

MadMetaphoricalMax
IORR-ers might enjoy reading through this review and appreciation of LA 75 and Hampton 81 on my Huffington Post blog. The music is mighty, mighty fine...
[www.huffingtonpost.co.uk]

Superb commentary. I very much enjoyed it. The comments on the difference in Ronnie from 1975 to 1981 are particularly poignant...his decline was palpable. Keith's crude, brutalist brilliance was (for me) in the spotlight on 1975's TOTA...I never heard such violence from a guitar. By 1981 he had changed the sound to a more supple roar...his lead playing was especially revelatory. I am privileged to have seen both tours live...and if I had a time-machine I would go straight back to the Summer of '75...those shows were assaultive.

In your post you mention that the Stones in 2014 are "delivering concerts of a calibre no fan or critic has any right to expect." Perhaps you might be interested in reading my opinion on this after seeing them this summer in Europe. Go here: [www.iorr.org]

Date: November 22, 2014 18:55

Thanks, a great read, especially about the Budapest concert - I can well imagine. Talked tpo some Russians Ukrainians once about rock n roll in the soviet union - rock around the bloc - and thihnjgs like the Bones, flexi-discs made on old xrays. The penalty for possessing rock music. There must be a psychic connection between the band and the audience like that, and it just draws out the magic and power you're talking about there. Are there recordings?!

Posted by: zebop ()
Date: November 22, 2014 19:36

Turd On The Run

Could not disagree more. Mythic tour. I saw the Stones in Madison Square Garden in 1975 on nights 1 and 4 of their 6 night stand in New York. This is one of the Stones' most interesting (and polarizing) tours. You literally HAD TO BE THERE to understand the vibe and the raunch and the pure decadence. Seeing it for the first time on DVD and judging the Stones from this is like trying to explain late-era Dietrich or Garland or Sinatra to people who never saw them live...impossible. The atmosphere crackled with danger and testosterone and the buzz was palpable. First tour with Ronnie...the Stones re-appear from their Glam Rock period after losing Mich Taylor and are now the ultimate Debauched Party Rock Band. It was an entirely different vibe and energy than the 1972 STP and 1973 Asian/European jaunts -- funkier, sloppier, and brighter. I know it is conventional wisdom to claim that the 1975 TOTA was a clear step down from the preceding tours, (I always deeply loved this particular tour...no band ever looked more "hip, zonked-out, give-a-fukc jet-set outlaws" than the Stones on this tour) but that is not a fair assessment of the tour as a whole...there was so much more...a lot of it was utterly visceral and rock and roll of the highest order (in the context of its time) and you know what?...as slipshod and shambolic as they were some nights (a flood of coke, heroin, groupies...) the tour was a messy, explosive, ear-deafening detonation! This release captures it perfectly...the agony, the ecstasy, the depravity, the decadence, and the excess. Glorious.

I think this is the most exciting answer i have read on this site!
the LA75 was the first tour i heard an bootleg from and i was overwhelmed by the power i heard and a bit confused as it sounded so different from the 73 tour that i also got boots from at the same time.
Even if i really like all the things i have heard from 1969-1973 i really believe this tour in my opinion is the best that the stones has ever done. The 1976 tour was also good but something got lost and that is the feeling that you are witnessing an real rock band that is almost threatening you are not just seeing just another rock´n´roll show.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: November 23, 2014 05:22

melillo
LA FORUM 73 was rumored to have been filmed although I doubt it

There is a snippet of pro shot available from this show...I wonder how much else...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 24, 2014 03:48

got my Hampton an LA forum today nice mini booklets IMO

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 24, 2014 13:42

finally got my LA 75 and watched and i was very impressed with this performance. first of all this was Ronnie's first tour with the stones and he did not dissapoint at all , he was on fire and some mighty fine weaving going on with the riffmaster himself Keef .billy preston was a show all by himself wow can this guy tickle the ivories or what kinda puts it in perspective of the current guy sitting in that seat does not even come close to living up to those big shoes of mr. preston and lest i be remiss in sending out a major kudos to the man himself IAN "STU" STEWART !!!!!.billy preston's two songs were killer ! i remember as a kid that airplay on local radio that his hits got, amazing job!!!!. the stones at there raunchy decadent best ,truly amazing 2 and a half hours of high octane stones .Mick Jagger showing why he is the best frontman in rock and roll . no one commands a stage not to mention a crowd like Mick Jagger.i waited a long time to watch this performance and this was worth it all the way with the greatest rock and roll band in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 24, 2014 14:11

I pre-ordered this thing, to make sure I got it on the first day of its release date.

Still haven't got it...

EDIT: Just as I wrote this, the doorbell rang and... YES! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 14:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 24, 2014 14:13

TheGreek
finally got my LA 75 and watched and i was very impressed with this performance. first of all this was Ronnie's first tour with the stones and he did not dissapoint at all , he was on fire and some mighty fine weaving going on with the riffmaster himself Keef .billy preston was a show all by himself wow can this guy tickle the ivories or what kinda puts it in perspective of the current guy sitting in that seat does not even come close to living up to those big shoes of mr. preston and lest i be remiss in sending out a major kudos to the man himself IAN "STU" STEWART !!!!!.billy preston's two songs were killer ! i remember as a kid that airplay on local radio that his hits got, amazing job!!!!. the stones at there raunchy decadent best ,truly amazing 2 and a half hours of high octane stones .Mick Jagger showing why he is the best frontman in rock and roll . no one commands a stage not to mention a crowd like Mick Jagger.i waited a long time to watch this performance and this was worth it all the way with the greatest rock and roll band in the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviews like this one is why I love this board thumbs up

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: November 24, 2014 14:29

Bought it today and tried to watch it.
Just a big disappointment that is.
Mostly filmed either from far away or from the back.
After a few songs I decided that I had enough seen of Ollie Brown's back.

Wished instead of this they had released the 1976 'Live at the Abattoire' that was
so much better filmed.

Shit happens. Just my 2 cts.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 24, 2014 16:24

DandelionPowderman
I pre-ordered this thing, to make sure I got it on the first day of its release date.

Still haven't got it...

me too and I STILL haven't got it...estimated next week by Amazon...we'll see.

Enjoy!

I presume you got the LP/DVD combo?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 24, 2014 17:06

Phil Good
Wished instead of this they had released the 1976 'Live at the Abattoire' that was
so much better filmed.

As I remember from the bootlegs, Paris '76 is a better performance and film than LA '75 (11th). Hopefully they will release the '76 film someday (not to mention anything from '69-73) and not just churn out boring modern day stuff.

Date: November 24, 2014 17:16

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Still haven't got it...

me too and I STILL haven't got it...estimated next week by Amazon...we'll see.

Enjoy!

I presume you got the LP/DVD combo?

Yep, leaving work right now. Can't wait! My wife received the parcel when it arrived, and told me it was totally squashed. Hopefully, she's just joking...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 24, 2014 18:44

another observation about LA 75 in regards to Ronnie Wood , what a seamless introduction to the stones like Ronnie had been there all along .his poise , his command of the fretboard ,his tone . i could go on and on ,Ronnie was the best choice to fill mick taylors slot . pretty big shoes to fill and Ronnie was up to the task . no if's and or butt's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROCKING RONNIE WOOD ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 24, 2014 19:55

What a superb release! There is a little dip quality-wise in the performance round Happy, but from TD and on it's fantastic.

Great picture and sound quality. This was a nice surprise thumbs up

Looking forward to the vinyl show from the 13th after the last couple of songs from the 11th now smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home