Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 19, 2014 07:53

Does a booklet come with it, like Hampton? I'll get my DVD in the mail any day now. I'm curious if they answer any questions about the origin of the videotape, what they'd originally intended to do with it.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 19, 2014 12:34

What a horrendous performance.

I've watched it until "Tumbling Dice" (included); and I had to stop it & take a break after that. Just couldn't stand any more/ any longer.
I'm curious, really wondering, exactly when (if ever) I'll feel the urge to watch the rest of it.

The band sound is a shamble; every rendition of these fantastic songs a disgrace; the guitar section is an onslaught to (then) 25 years of acquired Rock'n'Roll taste;
Jagger is obviously completely lost, acting absolutely desperate;
you can see & hear the greatest R'n'R frontman & performer ever, on stage with the greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World, think: "What the *** am I doin' here..."

Only Charlie, and the as-ever-hardly-audible-yet-omni-present Bill Wyman, are keeping this together (albeit barely). Thanx to this (brilliant) rhythm section, the ship still does sink, but not without land in sight.

It's the Stones at the absolute lowest point of "their 'best' 20 years" (although that last claim, this so-called 'fact', becomes VERY debatable after releases like this. Anybody who preferes this concert/ tour/ couple of years to any of the frequent glorious moments of the 1989-and-counting era, should have their ears & minds checked imo - feel free to take offence or not.)

Only because of "Love You Live", plus some testimonies from a couple of my mates that were able to see the band live that following year, I have reasons to believe that the '76 European tour was slightly better.
And you can think & say about LYL what you want, but: no matter what nor how many 'adjustments' (overdubs etc.) were done in the studio (or whichever of the claims that are sometimes used to slaughter it), at least it is an album you can boogie to.

Date: November 19, 2014 12:36

RoughJusticeOnYa

I've watched it until "Tumbling Dice" (included); and I had to stop it & take a break after that. Just couldn't stand any more/ any longer.
I'm curious, really wondering, exactly when (if ever) I'll feel the urge to watch the rest of it.

The band sound is a shamble; every rendition of these fantastic songs a disgrace; the guitar section is an onslaught to (then) 25 years of acquired Rock'n'Roll taste;
you can see & hear the greatest R'n'R frontman & performer ever, on stage with the greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World, think: "What the *** am I doin' here..."

Only Charlie, and the as-ever-hardly-audible-yet-omni-present Bill Wyman, are keeping this together (albeit barely). Thanx to this (brilliant) rhythm section, the ship still does sink, but not without land in sight.

It's the Stones at the absolute lowest point of "their 'best' 20 years" (although that last claim, this so-called 'fact', becomes VERY debatable after releases like this. Anybody who preferes this concert/ tour/ couple of years to any of the frequent glorious moments of the 1989-and-counting era, should have their ears & minds checked imo - feel free to take offence or not.)

Only because of "Love You Live", plus some testimonies from a couple of my mates that were able to see the band live that following year, I have reasons to believe that the '76 European tour was slightly better.
And you can think & say about LYL what you want, but: no matter what nor how many 'adjustments' (overdubs etc.) were done in the studio (or whichever of the claims that are sometimes used to slaughter it), at least it is an album you can boogie to.

Why isn't this evident on my bootleg + on the three pre-released tracks (Star Star, Rip This Joint and It's Only Rock'n'Roll)?

Date: November 19, 2014 12:45

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

Why isn't this evident on my bootleg + on the three pre-released tracks (Star Star, Rip This Joint and It's Only Rock'n'Roll)?

I'm sure you'll find your own answer to that, Dandy.
I'll stand by my analysis 100%.

Those of you who don't agree with it: good for ya! Enjoy every minute of it.
I'll be in my basement room, ... etcetera.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: November 19, 2014 12:48

RoughJusticeOnYa

LOL - maybe the TOTA 1975 is the most controversial tour ever. Some love it, others hate it.

I've first seen them live on the European Tour 1976 and maybe because of the songs they played in 76 I still have mixed feeling about the European leg. On the other hand I love the set-list from 1975 (before they dropped Heartbreaker and Angie) and sure, this show from July 11or12 wasn't their best performance BUT I'd still rate it higher then most of that what came later in history. Even if they struggle here and there THIS band was on fire and I rarely (if ever) heard a more touching version of Angie. I'm not offended but I feel sorry for you that you can't enjoy this tasty piece of art. It's not about perfection, it's about f*%*n R'n'R, isn't it?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-19 12:49 by silkcut1978_.

Date: November 19, 2014 12:56

Hey, Silkcut - thanx for your 2 cents, mate! Appreciate it - and let's agree to disagree, OK. ;o)

But please DON'T play the 'perfection' card - I NEVER implied that it's perfection we need.

Date: November 19, 2014 12:57

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

He he smiling smiley

However, had you never really listened to the 75 tour, or loathed the official LA Friday release, your review might have made some sense.

It was a rough-sounding tour. But it was mostly Mick who was giving the listeners a hard time, not the guitar players, imo.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 13:09

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

He he smiling smiley

However, had you never really listened to the 75 tour, or loathed the official LA Friday release, your review might have made some sense.

It was a rough-sounding tour. But it was mostly Mick who was giving the listeners a hard time, not the guitar players, imo.
yes I agree
Mick doesn't sing but shouts.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 19, 2014 13:16

RoughJusticeOnYa

You're wrong : you're comparing the bottom of the 75 tour (this dvd) with some selected cuts from 76.
Get yourself a truly turgid show from 76 - suggestion : the London May 26 show (available here [www.iorr.org] you'll change your mind.

1975 was great with some great shows. The show on this dvd wasn't one of these alas... But you still have the CDs from the July 13 gig to make up for it. thumbs up

Date: November 19, 2014 13:19

dcba
RoughJusticeOnYa

You're wrong : you're comparing the bottom of the 75 tour (this dvd) with some selected cuts from 76.
Get yourself a truly turgid show from 76 - suggestion : the London May 26 show (available here [www.iorr.org] you'll change your mind.

1975 was great with some great shows. The show on this dvd wasn't one of these alas... But you still have the CDs from the July 13 gig to make up for it. thumbs up

RoughJusticeOnYa needs to have a good listen at Toronto 1975. That's a great show, imo.

Posted by: gimmedanger ()
Date: November 19, 2014 13:48

RoughJusticeOnYa
Anybody who preferes this concert/ tour/ couple of years to any of the frequent glorious moments of the 1989-and-counting era, should have their ears & minds checked imo - feel free to take offence or not.)

I personally love all the live stuff from the '70s and wish there was more of it available to purchase. Raw, sloppy rock n' roll.

I respect your opinion but I've always thought that from the 80s onwards they've sound a bit pedestrian. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the 2 shows I've seen in the last couple of years and they're definitely 2 of the best shows I've ever seen (by any band) but I'd take the '70s stuff over anything else that came after.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 19, 2014 14:47

RoughJusticeOnYa

>grinning smiley< It is good to see that this controversial item makes some difference... no way The Rolling Stones AD 1975 is easy to stomach, if the criterion is (a) the superb form of the band in its Taylor years, and (b) especially the safe entertainer product of 1989- and counting era (which Keith calls "best Stones ever").

But that said, I think you gave up too early. The band is a bit breathless, sloppy and lacks some energy and focus in the first part of the show, I think all the way to (outro of) "Tumbling Dice" - there are some great moments, though (such as the outro of "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", when the band - Keith? - suddenly finds the groove and shows some of their potentia). Some really bad moments, such as "You Gotta Move" - both Mick and Keith sound like being asleep, both struggling to hit the right notes.

But I think you stopped exactly when the things started getting better and more interesting. The next cut "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" - the best live version of the song I ever heard - sets the tune right. It simply makes worthless any 'modern era' try of that song by reminding what the song is really all about. Even Jagger's voice wakes up. Then the experimental and damn interesting "Fingerprint File" moves the band into territory they've never been before, nor ever will be again. Jagger, now have something novel to do, sounds inspired. The ballads next, giving us time to breath for a while, and to be even emotional. Not bad at all, Jagger even singing, you know... (and extra kudos to Ronnie's beautiful solos).

For the show's drama, the Preston set works damn well. It gives us some distance from the ordinary, and besides the songs being good, and Preston performing well, the band plays surprisingly well. It almost sounds like they can't be as sloppy and 'couln't care less' like they might be with their own material...

Be the reason whatever, when the final part of the show starts with "Brown Sugar", the band seemingly had pushed "extra energy" button, and big time - namely, they simply FLY from then on. The sequence from "Brown Sugar" to "Sympathy For The Devil" is one of the strongest and energiest sets I ever heard from them, take any era. It is a showcase of the Stones hitting the transcendental: incredible energy and focus, guitar fiesta with the hottest (extended) rhythm section they ever have had. "Brown Sugar" is tight as hell, Richards and the rhythm section TOTALLY on fire, "Midnight Rambler" might be one of the best captured performances of Mick Jagger ever. As far as the encore number "Sympathy" goes... if anyone prefers the cabaret version they have done since 1989, well, that's really the question of taste... my idea of rock and roll is really something radically different... tongue sticking out smiley

Altogether, I think the show is a bit uneven - it both shows the band at its worst, but also at its best. I don't think it is as bad show as its reputation is (compared to other 1975 shows); it is probably the first part of the show which makes this impression, but from "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" on, they are hot as hell. It surely is not Keith's best nights, but being the caliber of player he was back then, plus having some glory moments, he can still make the band shine (mostly).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-19 15:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: November 19, 2014 16:09

Any chance of someone uploading the SFTD clip somewhere for viewing? Would love to see a cleanup version of that dance shuffle with Jagger leading the ladies.

Date: November 19, 2014 16:13

Hi Doxa,

Cheerz for everything you add, here... smileys with beer
In my defence: it was 4 am already. winking smiley
Plus: my own wife (a life-long Stones nutter) woke up & came to ask me "what that ¨%£+.¨* racket was all about". smoking smiley
True words, imo! So I joined her, off to bed.

I'll probably give the second half of the show a go this weekend, or so. But definitely not earlier!

Date: November 19, 2014 16:20

Oh, btw: my standards for excellent live Stones are (in random order) -
72/73; 81/82; 78; 68/69; and yes, for sure... 94/95 and 12/14.
I'm a sucker for their mid nineties sound (I was able to see so many of their gigs in those years, on several continents in fact, that it became a very existential stage sound & period for me as a Stonesfan). And I am very, very impressed by the way the band sounds ever since the O2-gigs in '12.)

You brought it up in your first sentence, Doxa, so I felt I just had to add this.

Date: November 19, 2014 16:22

By the time of the Complaint Fever in this forum most people got tired.

Either way...there could be a chance to discuss about it. I mean...complainers could provide some argument, some reasoning.

But ....fans disliking the sound of the band....is beyond me. The so to speak TOTA sound is one of the ingredients of the formula. Belongs to the quinteessence.

Date: November 19, 2014 16:25

emotionalbarbecue
By the time of the Complaint Fever in this forum most people got tired.

Either way...there could be a chance to discuss about it. I mean...complainers could provide some argument, some reasoning.

But ....fans disliking the sound of the band....is beyond me. The so to speak TOTA sound is one of the ingredients of the formula. Belongs to the quinteessence.

I agree, but at the same time I can understand that some fans have a beef with Mick's 75/76-performances. Although the stage persona he developed seems natural today - after the decadent 72 and 73-tours, imo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 19, 2014 17:54

Doxa
RoughJusticeOnYa

>grinning smiley< It is good to see that this controversial item makes some difference... no way The Rolling Stones AD 1975 is easy to stomach, if the criterion is (a) the superb form of the band in its Taylor years, and (b) especially the safe entertainer product of 1989- and counting era (which Keith calls "best Stones ever").

But that said, I think you gave up too early. The band is a bit breathless, sloppy and lacks some energy and focus in the first part of the show, I think all the way to (outro of) "Tumbling Dice" - there are some great moments, though (such as the outro of "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", when the band - Keith? - suddenly finds the groove and shows some of their potentia). Some really bad moments, such as "You Gotta Move" - both Mick and Keith sound like being asleep, both struggling to hit the right notes.

But I think you stopped exactly when the things started getting better and more interesting. The next cut "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" - the best live version of the song I ever heard - sets the tune right. It simply makes worthless any 'modern era' try of that song by reminding what the song is really all about. Even Jagger's voice wakes up. Then the experimental and damn interesting "Fingerprint File" moves the band into territory they've never been before, nor ever will be again. Jagger, now have something novel to do, sounds inspired. The ballads next, giving us time to breath for a while, and to be even emotional. Not bad at all, Jagger even singing, you know... (and extra kudos to Ronnie's beautiful solos).

For the show's drama, the Preston set works damn well. It gives us some distance from the ordinary, and besides the songs being good, and Preston performing well, the band plays surprisingly well. It almost sounds like they can't be as sloppy and 'couln't care less' like they might be with their own material...

Be the reason whatever, when the final part of the show starts with "Brown Sugar", the band seemingly had pushed "extra energy" button, and big time - namely, they simply FLY from then on. The sequence from "Brown Sugar" to "Sympathy For The Devil" is one of the strongest and energiest sets I ever heard from them, take any era. It is a showcase of the Stones hitting the transcendental: incredible energy and focus, guitar fiesta with the hottest (extended) rhythm section they ever have had. "Brown Sugar" is tight as hell, Richards and the rhythm section TOTALLY on fire, "Midnight Rambler" might be one of the best captured performances of Mick Jagger ever. As far as the encore number "Sympathy" goes... if anyone prefers the cabaret version they have done since 1989, well, that's really the question of taste... my idea of rock and roll is really something radically different... tongue sticking out smiley

Altogether, I think the show is a bit uneven - it both shows the band at its worst, but also at its best. I don't think it is as bad show as its reputation is (compared to other 1975 shows); it is probably the first part of the show which makes this impression, but from "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" on, they are hot as hell. It surely is not Keith's best nights, but being the caliber of player he was back then, plus having some glory moments, he can still make the band shine (mostly).

- Doxa

I just love the TOTA, and what really helps with this show is actually seeing it. And come to think of it, it might actually be the reason they added the 13th show on the CD's with the DVD, it being the much better show musically.

But even as ramshackle as the 11th show is, it blows any show after '89 out of the water in my opinion. I just love the rawness, the coked up sleaze of it all.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-19 18:09 by Mathijs.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 19, 2014 18:02

Good Stones in the 70s: raw, mean and tight and dynamic! (Examples: Charlotte '72, Brussels '73)

Bad Stones in the 70s: sloppy, messy, flat, but still raw, mean and unpredictable. (Examples: LA Blues '75, Philly '78)

Good Stones '89 onwards: tight, ambitious, professional, but slick. (Examples: Atlantic City '89, Paradiso '95)

Bad Stones '89 onwards: terrible, funny at best. (Example: Werchter '07)

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 19:10

got my LA 75 today

what a shame i dont like it the package looks more like a 2cd set with the DVD as a bonus ... and the audio of the DVD is just poer ... sounds more like an upgraded audience recording and i have heard many bettre recordings ...

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: November 19, 2014 20:19

DECCA61
got my LA 75 today

what a shame i dont like it the package looks more like a 2cd set with the DVD as a bonus ... and the audio of the DVD is just poer ... sounds more like an upgraded audience recording and i have heard many bettre recordings ...
It doesn't sound like an audience recording at all.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 19, 2014 21:21

I guess everybody is entitled to his opinion on this show. What really strikes me here is how Keith is really playing a lot, taking lots of solos and generally the quality of his playing is very good here, I think. But then, I'm not a guitar player.
Ron is OK, but it's only on the 78 Texas recording that the weaving thing is at its best.
Then generally this must be the stones at their most drugged out point of their career... Am I the only one thinking Mick is completely on coke and Keith just took a lot of something.
Overall very nice they put this out. Also the thing that the DVD is a different show from the one earlier released as FLAC.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 19, 2014 21:40

There were rumours that Mick, Keith, and Ronnie were blitzed on various substances, so to have the LA Forum recordings is a miracle in itself.

However, I saw Bob Dylan at Hammersmith in 1991, and he was absolutely plastered on booze; his performance was a lot worse than the Stones at their sloppiest.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 19, 2014 21:59

TOTA should have been billed as "The Hot Mess Tour", no doubt. Never owned the bootleg but remember watching it in Harvard Square Cambridge late 70's and totaling loving it!! Everyone digging YCAGWYW and singing the chorus.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 19, 2014 22:42

As much as I wish they'd released a better show -- or better yet, something real cool from '69-73 -- I'm kinda impressed that Jagger, ever the professionalist, allowed such a sloppy show to be released officially in the first place.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: November 19, 2014 23:09

we all have the boot anyway so mick figured its out there so just release it

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 19, 2014 23:44

tomcasagranda
I saw Bob Dylan at Hammersmith in 1991, and he was absolutely plastered on booze; his performance was a lot worse than the Stones at their sloppiest.

Yeah the bunch of gigs that started with "New Morning"... Bob's absolute nadir aka the "Name That Tune" concerts.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: November 19, 2014 23:45

RoughJusticeOnYa

Could not disagree more. Mythic tour. I saw the Stones in Madison Square Garden in 1975 on nights 1 and 4 of their 6 night stand in New York. This is one of the Stones' most interesting (and polarizing) tours. You literally HAD TO BE THERE to understand the vibe and the raunch and the pure decadence. Seeing it for the first time on DVD and judging the Stones from this is like trying to explain late-era Dietrich or Garland or Sinatra to people who never saw them live...impossible. The atmosphere crackled with danger and testosterone and the buzz was palpable. First tour with Ronnie...the Stones re-appear from their Glam Rock period after losing Mich Taylor and are now the ultimate Debauched Party Rock Band. It was an entirely different vibe and energy than the 1972 STP and 1973 Asian/European jaunts -- funkier, sloppier, and brighter. I know it is conventional wisdom to claim that the 1975 TOTA was a clear step down from the preceding tours, (I always deeply loved this particular tour...no band ever looked more "hip, zonked-out, give-a-fukc jet-set outlaws" than the Stones on this tour) but that is not a fair assessment of the tour as a whole...there was so much more...a lot of it was utterly visceral and rock and roll of the highest order (in the context of its time) and you know what?...as slipshod and shambolic as they were some nights (a flood of coke, heroin, groupies...) the tour was a messy, explosive, ear-deafening detonation! This release captures it perfectly...the agony, the ecstasy, the depravity, the decadence, and the excess. Glorious.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 19, 2014 23:53

Turd On The Run
RoughJusticeOnYa

Could not disagree more. Mythic tour. I saw the Stones in Madison Square Garden in 1975 on nights 1 and 4 of their 6 night stand in New York. This is one of the Stones' most interesting (and polarizing) tours. You literally HAD TO BE THERE to understand the vibe and the raunch and the pure decadence. Seeing it for the first time on DVD and judging the Stones from this is like trying to explain late-era Dietrich or Garland or Sinatra to people who never saw them live...impossible. The atmosphere crackled with danger and testosterone and the buzz was palpable. First tour with Ronnie...the Stones re-appear from their Glam Rock period after losing Mich Taylor and are now the ultimate Debauched Party Rock Band. It was an entirely different vibe and energy than the 1972 STP and 1973 Asian/European jaunts -- funkier, sloppier, and brighter. I know it is conventional wisdom to claim that the 1975 TOTA was a clear step down from the preceding tours, (I always deeply loved this particular tour...no band ever looked more "hip, zonked-out, give-a-fukc jet-set outlaws" than the Stones on this tour) but that is not a fair assessment of the tour as a whole...there was so much more...a lot of it was utterly visceral and rock and roll of the highest order (in the context of its time) and you know what?...as slipshod and shambolic as they were some nights (a flood of coke, heroin, groupies...) the tour was a messy, explosive, ear-deafening detonation! This release captures it perfectly...the agony, the ecstasy, the depravity, the decadence, and the excess. Glorious.

Great post!

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 00:39

Funky cocaine mid-70's. Ron Wood was right there for it, recording with Bobby Womack and Andy Newmark and Willie Weeks. Jagger was right there incorporating it as he did in those days. Not my favorite era of music in general but the Stones managed to navigate it, with the possible exception of Jagger's growl, which never sat well. I was at four of the LA shows and they were pretty great to be at. Didn't notice back then as a teenager which shows were better, only which ones I had a better time at. I think the first and last.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1946
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home