Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 40
Re: "From The Vault" L.A. Forum – Live In 1975, Released: 17th November 2014
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2014 00:19

IrelandCalling4
If it was a separate Pro-Shot to the Video shot we have from LA, that would be absolutely amazing!!

We needs clarification! It's almost too good to be true, if it were a 'new' Pro-Shot from the '75 TOTA

It was too good to be true.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2014 00:27

"Is it the lack of graininess that signifies it's videotape, and not film?"

It's mainly the "blinding" effect that happens when a video cam "catches" one of the stage lights : the tube inside the cam goes mad.
You'd never get this problem with 16 or 35mm footage.

If it's the same gear that was used for the taping of the Led Zep Earl's Court'75 shows the video signal was preserved on 2-inch tape like this one :
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 00:31 by dcba.

Date: September 18, 2014 03:07

dcba
"Is it the lack of graininess that signifies it's videotape, and not film?"

It's mainly the "blinding" effect that happens when a video cam "catches" one of the stage lights : the tube inside the cam goes mad.
You'd never get this problem with 16 or 35mm footage.

If it's the same gear that was used for the taping of the Led Zep Earl's Court'75 shows the video signal was preserved on 2-inch tape like this one :
[en.wikipedia.org]

I like videotape. I think the image is purer and more lifelike, and there's a lot of grain on Some Girls in Texas. That could also explain why we thought it was some kind of video all these years, because it WAS, only it wasn't an in house system....unless, they allowed a feed inside the building while it was being shot, which could have left them with other angles that weren't internally broadcast, but were there for them to edit with at a later date. And, again, it could explain how we ever got a hold of this for a boot to begin with.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 18, 2014 03:50

Lets spend the night together Is the best looking concert footage I've seen. That was on film.

Posted by: slowhand ()
Date: September 18, 2014 04:28

Not sure if this has been posted yet but here Shattered from the new Hampton release.

Shattered - Hampton

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 04:30 by slowhand.

Date: September 18, 2014 05:27

ryanpow
Lets spend the night together Is the best looking concert footage I've seen. That was on film.

You have to have optimal conditions for film to look it's best, and much of LSTNT was shot in bright daylight. I don't know what film size they used but I would assume it was at least 35mm, and maybe 70, with over 20 cameras in use. The difference is immediately apparent when you watch something similar like Some Girls In Texas, which was shot inside a small venue on 16mm film. And yet, I'd rather watch it than the slick LSTNT any day of the week.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 05:41

Too many cuts in LSTNT. Hurts the story, like with any film.

Date: September 18, 2014 09:56

TeddyB1018

And the cuts are rather amateurishly done. They hurt the already lackluster performance a lot, imo. Add that the sound in LSTNT is nowhere near the quality of SL/Hampton.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 18, 2014 10:06

DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018

And the cuts are rather amateurishly done. They hurt the already lackluster performance a lot, imo. Add that the sound in LSTNT is nowhere near the quality of SL/Hampton.

Yeah, it captured nicely some of the extraordinary 1981 tour feel (especially the outdoor daylight stuff), especially to people like me who didn't have a chance to see them alive back then, but it hasn't aged well. Poor editing and poor sound.

- Doxa

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 18, 2014 11:39

The Eagle Rock LA release is from July 11, the Archive audio release is from July 13. The video release has the same sound quality now as the audio release, but it unfortunaly remains one of the worst shows from the 1975 tour (with the 13th being one of the best shows IMO).

Strange thing is that the video images differ from those of the video bootleg, with the video bootleg being much better. The official release has much more images from the back camera (behind the drums) and the camera to the side of the stage, and much less from the camera in front of the stage taking the close up shots. For example Happy is now filmed from the back almost completely, missing out on the glorious strung out junky looks of Keith.

Mathijs

Date: September 18, 2014 11:45

Mathijs
The Eagle Rock LA release is from July 11, the Archive audio release is from July 13. The video release has the same sound quality now as the audio release, but it unfortunaly remains one of the worst shows from the 1975 tour (with the 13th being one of the best shows IMO).

Strange thing is that the video images differ from those of the video bootleg, with the video bootleg being much better. The official release has much more images from the back camera (behind the drums) and the camera to the side of the stage, and much less from the camera in front of the stage taking the close up shots. For example Happy is now filmed from the back almost completely, missing out on the glorious strung out junky looks of Keith.

Mathijs

Happy was also filmed entirely from the back on the offical YT-videos from the 11th that RS.com showed when the 13th show was released.

Have they released more footage than Star Star now from the coming DVD-release?

I haven't checked if it indeed is the 11th yet myself, but will take your word for it. That show I probably won't bother to purchase.

A bummer sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 11:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 18, 2014 12:38

I am really looking forward to this DVD, as the Star Star clip looks amazing. Heck, they looked better than they played back then anyway.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 18, 2014 14:04

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018

Yeah, it captured nicely some of the extraordinary 1981 tour feel (especially the outdoor daylight stuff), especially to people like me who didn't have a chance to see them alive back then, but it hasn't aged well. Poor editing and poor sound.

- Doxa

I would love to see the complete (or as close as it gets) shows from which the LSTNT clips were taken from.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 18, 2014 14:55

Father Ted
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018

- Doxa

I would love to see the complete (or as close as it gets) shows from which the LSTNT clips were taken from.

I accidentally broke my copy of LSTNT into two pieces and I highly doubt I will ever buy a new one. But I would definitely buy a set with the two complete show with remastered audio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-18 14:56 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 18, 2014 15:18

No matter if it is the 12th or the 11th, the main point is that we have another show from the Great Five besides the show from the 13th in a very good mix. The guitar tone and guitar play in 75 is unmatched in Stones history in my opinion.

Date: September 18, 2014 15:29

RobertJohnson
No matter if it is the 12th or the 11th, the main point is that we have another show from the Great Five besides the show from the 13th in a very good mix. The guitar tone and guitar play in 75 is unmatched in Stones history in my opinion.

It's great that we get a show in good quality, and it's great that it is a different show from the archive audio release.

But the show from July 11 is unfortunately not a good show, from what I recall.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:03

I don't know if the 11th show is the best of the Great Fives but I will never claim that it's the worst or even not a good show
I listen to it more than the 13th one.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:14

Mathijs
For example Happy is now filmed from the back almost completely, missing out on the glorious strung out junky looks of Keith.

Mathijs

That wouldn't surprise me at all. The damaged/decadent image did fine for the Stones in the 70's. Nowadays it's the opposite.
"Sell the customer what he wants and f@ck historical accuracy" grinning smiley

Date: September 18, 2014 17:21

jpasc95
I don't know if the 11th show is the best of the Great Fives but I will never claim that it's the worst or even not a good show

I've probably listened to the July 11 show the most as well, because of this DVD. It doesn't make the show any better, though...

Date: September 18, 2014 17:28

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

It's great that we get a show in good quality, and it's great that it is a different show from the archive audio release.

But the examples I've already heard from different sources (concerning the 11th) are very good (Star, Star; SFTD; You Gotta Move, Wild Horses).

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:31

how is is a bad show? a lot of screw ups? lackluster?

also, keith basically still survives today on his `elegantly wasted` image from decades ago. how or why would Eagle Rock or the Stones be keen to keep him hidden from view on this release?

Date: September 18, 2014 17:42

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

But the examples I've already heard from different sources (concerning the 11th) are very good (Star, Star; SFTD; You Gotta Move, Wild Horses).

And, please, imagine this in a perfect mix, another quite good example I think:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 17:55

DandelionPowderman
jpasc95

I've probably listened to the July 11 show the most as well, because of this DVD. It doesn't make the show any better, though...

well it's your opinion.
I think it's a good show...you have very good songs : honky tonk.., gimme shelter, angie, wild horses, you can't always get..., jumping jack, sympathy...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 18, 2014 18:04

RobertJohnson
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

And, please, imagine this in a perfect mix, another quite good example I think:

[www.youtube.com]

Can someone explain why the brass section was left out of the '75 and '76 tours? Watching this video I couldn't help thinking that the brass would have tightened things up a bit. The loose structure can either work or not sometimes based on the song. I'm not really intiment with the 7-11-75 DVD and can't wait to properly access the release in November!!

Date: September 18, 2014 18:44

When I first mentioned yesterday that this is indeed the 11th, I was a little bummed. I've even contacted Eagle Rock on Facebook for some clarification on their claim it's from the 12th. (Silence so far). But, hey, come on, if we had never been jacked up about there being an unseen concert, with fantasies of it being shot really well, with multiple angles, etc., we would have been quite satisfied knowing we were going to get a good, cleaned up version of the boot we've all had for years. The audio on my DVD version doesn't really kick in until half way through.

I have a really good boot of Hampton, but I'm sure the Blu Ray audio will knock my socks off. So, overall, I'm still happy. I'm not sure why no Blu Ray mentioned for LA '75, or who is wrong: The boot makers all these years claiming it was the 11th, or the Stones/Eagle Rock for claiming the footage is from the 12th.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 18, 2014 18:47

how do we know it is the july 11th show ?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 18, 2014 18:49

just now i checked rollingstones.com and it said the date was july 12th not the 11th.so how do some people here say it is the july 11th

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: September 18, 2014 19:39

It's the show that was historically referred to as the 11th -- both the audience recording of the show and the bootleg DVD. I don't know for sure, but I believe this date probably came from the original taper, Mike Millard, who was not known to mess up his dates, as far as I know. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but that's how some people say it's the 11th.

Posted by: jason8903 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 19:52

Please tell us where the link for fans in the
USA to buy these new dvd's. That will play here
In the US.

Posted by: jason8903 ()
Date: September 18, 2014 19:54

Can you buy them on the rolling stones digital music web page??
Or is that only for the UK??

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home