Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Japanese SACDs
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: September 1, 2014 19:22

The other day I got an email from CDjapan on new limited release SACDs of High Tides, Through the Past, Satanic Majesties, Banquet, Let it Bleed, and the studio albums through Dirty Work. Anybody know anything about these?

Re: New Japanese SACDs
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 2, 2014 02:36

Would the Blu Ray audio of some of these not be the definitive digital versions?

ie, I know we've gotten LIB and Exile and GRRR!...I'm sure Beggar's and the rest will follow suit in due course.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 2, 2014 06:14

These are the best digital versions of the Stones work from Sticky Fingers on. The albums before that sound identical to the current DSD masters available in the West. As far as I know, they have never been made available on Blu-Ray. IORR is the complete studio master with long versions of Time Waits for No One, Luxury and Fingerprint File. Recommended.

Date: September 2, 2014 07:15

As I understand it , there are multiple different releases of the same albums (1971 onwards) on SA-CD .

Universal has convoluted the situation MUCH more than necessary.

2009 SA-CD / 2011 SA-CD / 2013 SA-CD of the same album with some of them being SHM SA-CD's !!

They vary in quality .... likely due in large part to the mastering process .

Date: September 2, 2014 07:17

drbryant
These are the best digital versions of the Stones work from Sticky Fingers on. The albums before that sound identical to the current DSD masters available in the West. As far as I know, they have never been made available on Blu-Ray. IORR is the complete studio master with long versions of Time Waits for No One, Luxury and Fingerprint File. Recommended.

What is the catalog number of the SA-CD version of IORR which you recommend ??

Date: September 2, 2014 07:47

treaclefingers
Would the Blu Ray audio of some of these not be the definitive digital versions?

ie, I know we've gotten LIB and Exile and GRRR!...I'm sure Beggar's and the rest will follow suit in due course.

The Blu-ray Audio albums should be the definitive digital versions IN A TIE with the well mastered SA-CD releases ..... with all else being equal.

Again,it depends on how well these albums are mastered. You could technically put some of the crappy 1986 Abkco digital audio on a Blu-ray Disc but it would not help the sound improve .

For me,the 2002 SA-CD's from the DSD masters are about as good as it is going to get for the Stones' 1960's material in a digital (mono / stereo) format.

These Blu-ray Audio discs could / should equal them but,they would not be essential unless you do not own the 2002 SA-CD's .

I am more excited about the " Exile On Main St. " issue on the Blu-ray Audio format . I was not too impressed by Disc 1 of the 2009 Universal deluxe double CD album.

For " Exile On Main St. " , you would just need the Blu-ray Audio Disc , the original 1972 Vinyl album , and the bonus disc (CD 2) from the Universal deluxe set. Maybe you could also add in the Virgin CD for playing the tracks at times when there is no access to hi-resolution playback equipment.

Anyway,with the master being equal and with all other things being equal , you would be hard pressed to discern any perceptible difference between the Blu-ray Audio format and the SA-CD format . To me,that is not a bad thing .

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 2, 2014 17:11

donvis
The other day I got an email from CDjapan on new limited release SACDs of High Tides, Through the Past, Satanic Majesties, Banquet, Let it Bleed, and the studio albums through Dirty Work. Anybody know anything about these?

For the 60's albums, whatever the edition is, they are all made from the same ABKCO 2002 DSD remasters. These new SHM-SACD's will sound about the same as the 2002 SACD edition (though "SHM-SACD" is said to sound better than the regular SACD's).

For the 1971 / 1986 albums they are either made from the Universal 2009 remasters or from the 2011 DSD remasters. But in this case the new SHM-SACD's will be made from the 2011 DSD remasters wich are direct transfers from the original masters. Again the SHM-SACD technology should improve somehow the sound quality...

Full description of new Goats Head Soup SHM-SACD's here : [www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: September 2, 2014 19:13

Please allow me to stick to my old London and CBS (and Virgin) editions of this material winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 3, 2014 00:18

When the hell will we have access to these SACD/Blu Ray recordings in the West?

Date: September 3, 2014 01:05

Winning Ugly VXII
treaclefingers

The Blu-ray Audio albums should be the definitive digital versions IN A TIE with the well mastered SA-CD releases ..... with all else being equal.

Again,it depends on how well these albums are mastered. You could technically put some of the crappy 1986 Abkco digital audio on a Blu-ray Disc but it would not help the sound improve .

For me,the 2002 SA-CD's from the DSD masters are about as good as it is going to get for the Stones' 1960's material in a digital (mono / stereo) format.

These Blu-ray Audio discs could / should equal them but,they would not be essential unless you do not own the 2002 SA-CD's .

I am more excited about the " Exile On Main St. " issue on the Blu-ray Audio format . I was not too impressed by Disc 1 of the 2009 Universal deluxe double CD album.

For " Exile On Main St. " , you would just need the Blu-ray Audio Disc , the original 1972 Vinyl album , and the bonus disc (CD 2) from the Universal deluxe set. Maybe you could also add in the Virgin CD for playing the tracks at times when there is no access to hi-resolution playback equipment.

Anyway,with the master being equal and with all other things being equal , you would be hard pressed to discern any perceptible difference between the Blu-ray Audio format and the SA-CD format . To me,that is not a bad thing .

The mastering on the blu-ray is not the same. Don't buy it. Instead, buy the Japan SHM-SACD UIGY-9081. If you can wait until late November, the price goes down - preorder Japan SHM-SACD UIGY-9580. I guarantee you will like it.

Date: September 3, 2014 01:11

Winning Ugly VXII
drbryant

What is the catalog number of the SA-CD version of IORR which you recommend ??

SHM-SACD UIGY-9069 contains the long versions of the tracks (the "Fingerprint File" is the "correct speed" version, which ends up being much longer than the regular release - it can only be found on the Japanese SACD). This is also being released at a lower price in late November with catalogue number UIGY-9582. My only concern is whether they will change the Fingerprint File track, which I believe was released mistakenly. Probably not, but you never know.

These masters used on these SHM-SACD's have also been released on regular SHM-CD's and "platinum SHM-CD's". Read the descriptions on the CD Japan website carefully before you buy so that you make sure you get the "2011 DSD master based on UK original analog tape".

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2014 01:23

SHM-SACD UIGY-9069 contains the long versions of the tracks (the "Fingerprint File" is the "correct speed" version

YEAH that is a must own CD....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 03:09

On an SACD related note, I got the Audio Fidelity gold hybrid SACD of Billion Dollar Babies earlier this year, remastered by Steve Hoffman, who does alot of the remastering. In all due honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the sound. Not any better than the remastered CD that came out several years ago with the bonus live CD. I picked up Love It To Death, Killer and School's Out Gold CD's by Audio Fidelity a couple years ago with Steve Hoffman mastering and those sound awesome.
As far as the Stones SACD's, I'd love to get the 70's albums, having bought all the 2002 versions of the ABKCO discs. My favorite sounding Stones song is the Sympathy SACD single which contains a 5.1 version of it.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 3, 2014 13:33

24FPS
When the hell will we have access to these SACD/Blu Ray recordings in the West?

When Itunes goes belly up and poeple realize that in 2014 there's a life after mp3 format and 0.99$ songs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-03 13:34 by dcba.

Date: September 3, 2014 19:58

Thanks for the recommendations of the SHM SA-CD's based from the 2011 D.S.D. masters .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home