Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
THE VEGAS ERA BEGINS...25 years ago today!
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 31, 2014 18:38

...in unrelated news, it's also the eve of the 60th anniversary of Germany invading Poland.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

The Rolling Stones had spent much of the ’80s on the sidelines. Despite increasing friction between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, the band kept putting out albums — though to relatively lukewarm reactions. Touring, however, was another story. By 1989, the Rolling Stones hadn’t played a live show in seven years.

Their longest concert drought (before or since) officially ended on August 31, when the Stones launched the Steel Wheels North American Tour at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia — though, technically, the drought ended a couple of weeks earlier at a warm-up show in New Haven, Connecticut.

This tour was named for their then-new album ‘Steel Wheels‘, released to enthusiastic reviews two days prior. Jagger and Richards had patched up things earlier in the year, then set about writing and recording a project that felt like “classic Stones.” Meanwhile, Jagger (then in his mid-40s) was consistently pressed on whether this would his band’s final tour — a line of questioning that seems increasingly ridiculous decades later.

Besides, Jagger, Richards, Ron Wood, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts had a ready answer in the form of a marathon, 28-song opening date. After kicking off the show with the one-two combo of ‘Start Me Up’ and ‘Bitch,’ Jagger showed he could hold up better than the power equipment – which blew a generator during ‘Shattered,’ the third song of the evening. Within minutes, the power returned and the Rolling Stones regrouped, carrying on with the ‘Steel Wheels’ cut ‘Sad, Sad, Sad.’ But they’d superstitiously drop ‘Shattered’ from subsequent shows.

The setlist represented just about every Stones era, from early blues covers (Willie Dixon’s ‘Little Red Rooster’ from back in ’64) to psychedelic experimentation (’2000 Light Years From Home’) to country-rock (‘Dead Flowers’) and even some ’80s material (‘Undercover of the Night’). Keith gave Mick a break down the stretch by fronting the band for a couple of his own songs (‘Happy’ and ‘Before They Make Me Run’) before Jagger returned to take it home with wall-to-wall hits (‘Brown Sugar,’ ‘Satisfaction’ etc.).

This being the Stones’ first big tour since 1983 (and their first American shows since ’82), spectacle wasn’t sacrificed. The band took the stage amid crackling fireworks and roaring flame towers — both of which would become de rigueur on future tours. They also introduced what might be the most garish stage decorations in rock history: a pair of giant inflatable barflies that flanked the stage during ‘Honky Tonk Women.’

As the mammoth tour continued, the Rolling Stones seemed to only gain momentum. “We’re keeping our fingers crossed, and I’ll hit the wood here, but, yeah, they’re getting better every day,” he told Rolling Stone magazine. “The band’s really winding up now.” He also called 1989 a “dream year” for the Stones, and predicted that the North American tour would become a worldwide one in 1990 . In fact, it did, although it was rechristened the Urban Jungle Tour before hitting Europe.

As dates flew by, the Rolling Stones recorded a live album (‘Flashpoint’), broadcast a live pay-per-view special, one that was later edited into a prime-time concert special for Fox, and filmed an IMAX movie (‘Rolling Stones: Live at the Max’) that was the first feature film completed with only IMAX cameras.

In some ways, the Steel Wheels dates marked the start of a new way of touring. It was the Rolling Stones’ first tour with backing vocalists Bernard Fowler and Lisa Fischer — they’ve appeared on all subsequent outings — and the first American trek with keyboardist and musical director Chuck Leavell. And, of course, it makes the first in a line of record-breaking, arena-sized blowouts that would continue into the new millennium.

None of those subsequent tours, however, would include the band’s founding bassist Bill Wyman as a full-time member. Wyman decided he’d had enough and quit the band after the 1989/90 concerts. In this way, the Steel Wheels tour was both the beginning and the end of a Stones era.

Read More: 25 Years Ago: The Rolling Stones Begin the Blockbuster Era with Steel Wheels Tour | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Re: THE VEGAS ERA BEGINS...25 years ago today!
Posted by: Chacho ()
Date: August 31, 2014 19:02

What "Vegas era"?

There never was, nor will there probably ever be, a "Vegas era" with the Rolling Stones.

This term was invented to downgrade their credibility with fans. By whom I do not know.

I'll admit that Jagger and Richards writing ability went down hill after 1980, or perhaps 1989, but I really don't get the "Vegas era" thing.

What happened is Jagger and Richards' writing career, of any quality, lasted for about 20 years, and after that the Rolling Stones became a "live band", playing the songs that were written during those 20 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-31 19:08 by Chacho.

Re: Steel Wheels tour opened.25 years ago today - August 31, 1989
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 31, 2014 19:10

"This being the Stones’ first big tour since 1983 (and their first American shows since ’82), spectacle wasn’t sacrificed."

Writer Bryan Wawzenek got his dates wrong. US Tour ended in December 1981, and they toured Europe the following year.

There was no "big tour" in 1983.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 31, 2014 19:56

Hip, hip hurrah! Viva Las Vegas?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 31, 2014 20:01

The Philie show is outstanding. You can feel the excitement... and the FEAR coming from the stage. The band really delivered that night! thumbs up

Date: August 31, 2014 20:10

Chacho
What "Vegas era"?

There never was, nor will there probably ever be, a "Vegas era" with the Rolling Stones.

This term was invented to downgrade their credibility with fans. By whom I do not know.

I'll admit that Jagger and Richards writing ability went down hill after 1980, or perhaps 1989, but I really don't get the "Vegas era" thing.

What happened is Jagger and Richards' writing career, of any quality, lasted for about 20 years, and after that the Rolling Stones became a "live band", playing the songs that were written during those 20 years.

viva las vegas

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 31, 2014 21:10

100% correct.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 31, 2014 21:36

Princess Diana also died today. But whatever...

Date: August 31, 2014 22:09

RollingFreak
Princess Diana also died today. But whatever...

That's one of those days, where you remember exactly what you were doing when you heard the news.

I was studying for an exam, and then couldn't pull myself from the TV.

Date: August 31, 2014 22:12

Didn't it start in 1988? winking smiley

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: August 31, 2014 22:36

PERKS WAS THERE, AND IT WAS EPIC.
CROWD WAS UNREAL.
A NIGHT I'LL NEVER FORGET.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:06

Las Vegas era??? What a load of crap

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:17

I've seen the Stones in Vegas a bunch, and they've all been great shows, except for the March 2006 show, where Mick's energy was fantastic, but the music was INSANELY LOUD. Which isn't exactly a so-called Vegas-era type criticism. I was embarrassed because I took two friends who weren't Stones fans and they kept looking at me like, "My ears are bleeding." But other than that I've only seen great Stones shows in Vegas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-31 23:19 by Title5Take1.

Re: Steel Wheels tour opened.25 years ago today - August 31, 1989
Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:18

bye bye johnny
"This being the Stones’ first big tour since 1983 (and their first American shows since ’82), spectacle wasn’t sacrificed."

Writer Bryan Wawzenek got his dates wrong. US Tour ended in December 1981, and they toured Europe the following year.

There was no "big tour" in 1983.
Rock journalists suck. They're so awful.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:45

treaclefingers
...in unrelated news, it's also the eve of the 60th anniversary of Germany invading Poland.

60th? I didn't know that Germany invaded Poland in 1954 eye popping smiley

Date: August 31, 2014 23:48

leteyer

"Live On Past Glories"-era?

Doesn't have the same ring.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:48

Today also marks the day, 150 years ago, when Ferdinand Lassalle, founder of the German social-democracy died, only 39 years old. Unfortunatelly in a duell against a Wallachian count named Bajor von Racowitza.
A couple of weeks before his death he said about his life "Jag har inventerat mitt liv. Det var storartat, modigt, vackert, tappert och glansfullt nog. Framtiden kommer att ge mig rätt i detta”.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: September 1, 2014 00:29

leteyer

Amen......Rock On......stop living in the past

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 1, 2014 01:42

Hey YEAH AND We also lost that guitar man Jerry Reed on this day back in 2008 ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 1, 2014 02:18

I was there. Great show. I remember that their album hadn't been released
When they hit they took the stage in Philadelphia.

Date: September 1, 2014 02:59

franzk
treaclefingers

Little known fact...they reinvaded Poland to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the initial invasion

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 1, 2014 03:05

treaclefingers
franzk
treaclefingers

Little known fact...they reinvaded Poland to commemorate the 15th anniversary of the initial invasion

True story--and it marked the beginning of their Vegas era.

Date: September 1, 2014 03:57

hot stuff
I was there. Great show. I remember that their album hadn't been released
When they hit they took the stage in Philadelphia.

The article says the album was released two days prior, although considering the number of errors I suppose that could be wrong too!

It was my first Stones show, that tour...I saw them twice, I think back to back nights, in Vancouver.

I had crappy seats but I'd had to miss '81 in Seattle as I was too young to go, so this was the first real chance. A great couple of years to be a Stones fan with the big tour, big album, and 3D PPV...I still have 3 pairs of those Stones PPV 3D Glasses you had to get at 7/11.

Then there was 25x5 released shortly thereafter if memory serves, and Flashpoint, which I know gets mixed reviews but I loved when it came out.

"...what album was it off Bill? He doesn't know, he doesn't know...Beggar's banquet".

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 1, 2014 04:10

Chacho
What "Vegas era"?

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Date: September 1, 2014 04:40

It has been one heck of a ride since 89. So many shows, so many memories. Who would have believed it is still going ?
As for the Vegas part, certainly not the Stones many of us grew up on, but as pointed out above I think the creative process stopped a long time ago. They simply realized the well ran dry and the money was in the massive tours they undertook. No one was buying a lot of product even in their prime, so they had no real incentive nor the closeness anymore to work together as writers.The solo stuff was not even good and arguably Mick saved the good stuff for his side projects. Keith stuff was equally bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-01 04:42 by Brstonesfan.

Date: September 1, 2014 04:56

Brstonesfan
It has been one heck of a ride since 89. So many shows, so many memories. Who would have believed it is still going ?
As for the Vegas part, certainly not the Stones many of us grew up on, but as pointed out above I think the creative process stopped a long time ago. They simply realized the well ran dry and the money was in the massive tours they undertook. No one was buying a lot of product even in their prime, so they had no real incentive nor the closeness anymore to work together as writers.The solo stuff was not even good and arguably Mick saved the good stuff for his side projects. Keith stuff was equally bad.

That certainly was the problem on the creative side...plus, Mick felt 'locked in' to having to do Stones stuff, as that was the only stuff that would actually 'sell', which I'm sure was creatively stifling.

At least they did excel as a live act and continue to do so. Even though I'd still like new material, I have enjoyed the last 25 years of them bashing out the old stuff.

Date: September 1, 2014 05:16

Agreed.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 1, 2014 05:35

89 = Mick Jagger's worst hair cut ever.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: September 1, 2014 06:15

THE ALBUM CAME OUT THE TUESDAY PRIOR TO THURSDAYS SHOW.
BOUGHT 3 COPIES AT THE SHORE MALL, YO

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 1, 2014 07:06

Why are there two separate threads? They should be combined. My memories: Ten shows at the 50,000 seat Tokyo Dome, and the very cool (and heavy) CD with the steel case.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1864
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home