Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What's you're best CD or vinyl bargain ever ?
Posted by: Bartje ()
Date: August 31, 2014 15:44

I was wondering the best bargain that other collector's ever had ??
for cd / vinyl

Re: What's you're best CD or vinyl bargain ever ?
Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 31, 2014 15:55

Mine's probably a double RL (Robert Ludwig) Led Zep II. He cut the first run of the record so loud and punchy that it apparently wouldn't play through on Ahmet Ertgun's daughter's kiddie record player, so Ahmet demanded a quieter recut.

Suffice to say, the RL cut kicks major ass. Nice copies go for well over $100 - I found a nice copy in a dollar bin at a record show last year for... a dollar.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 31, 2014 16:44

Vinyl "5 live Yardbirds" feat. Eric Clapton.
Bought it in the early 70ies for one or two $.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 31, 2014 17:50

Easy, for me Heart of Stone US 45 with picture sleeve.

Got it for $18 including shipping a few years ago, from a 'BUT IT NOW' at 3:00 am on ebay.co.uk, from someone that apparently didn't know what they had.

It sells for $300-800 normally, depending on condition.

Mine was in pretty damn good condition!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 31, 2014 17:55

The Kinks LP "In Germany" for 10 €.
The seller said: "It´s so cheap because someone
cut it at the sides" (3 were open). Thing is:
It was issued "unglued" as collector´s item in the 60s.

Now its value is from 50 to 150 €.
[www.popsike.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-31 17:55 by TooTough.

Date: August 31, 2014 18:10

It's either the interview flexi w/sleeve that came with the first pressing Japanese Beggars Banquet LP or the Danish Street Fighting Man picture sleeve. Both bought for under $20 on eBay before they had spell check. Both listed, if memory serves me correct, under 'Roling Stones'.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 31, 2014 20:25

I used to get my stuff for free when I was in the biz, including cool promo only stuff. Lived on the collection for 2 years when the company I worked for went under.

Date: August 31, 2014 22:10

crholmstrom
I used to get my stuff for free when I was in the biz, including cool promo only stuff. Lived on the collection for 2 years when the company I worked for went under.

what was your most 'valuable' item from those days?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:22

Frank Sinatra's 'Sinatra sings great songs from Great Britain' for just 3 quids..(English Pounds)...on LP...

That album was the missing Peace to get Sinatra complete in my Collection...I now have 93 Sinatra vinyl albums...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:33

treaclefingers
crholmstrom

what was your most 'valuable' item from those days?

Probably DJ only 12" vinyl pre-release of "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I'll have to think on it some more. I've got some promo only Stones compilations, too. Hung on to those!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-31 23:54 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 31, 2014 23:40

don't really know,

but some years ago I bought the Live Licks double CD for just 1 (one!) Euro (the official release in a regular store – they were closing their CD section).

Date: August 31, 2014 23:44

slewan
don't really know,

but some years ago I bought the Live Licks double CD for just 1 (one!) Euro (the official release in a regular store – they were closing their CD section).

still, you got gloved.

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: September 1, 2014 10:51

A few years ago I bought on EBay the Original German Press from the BRAVO Vinyl Album for
only 1 Euro.

Date: September 1, 2014 12:16

First edition "Kwyet Kinks EP" in perfect condition.

First edition "Got Live If You Want It EP" in perfect condition.

I don't remember what I paid, but after checking it further at the time it was a bargain with both EPs.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 1, 2014 12:31

An original Brunswick mint copy of My Generation. Paid £2.50 for it in 1976. It was a ridiculously low amount and I thought the seller - at historic Cheapo Cheapo Records in London's Soho - would realise his mistake and come running after me. I legged it as fast as i could towards Piccadilly Circus tube.

About a month later I got the Magic Bus album by The Who in mint nick for £2 from the same venue. Also a steal. I've always been really lucky with The Who. Their records have found me - not vice versa.

In 1987 I was enjoying some drinks in a Hampstead cocktail bar called Boris' when a chap came in selling ex-jukebox singles. I said to my friend that I bet that amongst them would be The Who's very rare The Last Time/Under My Thumb single. And it was. Most of his collection was 80s pop rubbish. That really freaked me out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-01 17:43 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: September 1, 2014 15:16

Off the top of my head I'll say the autographed version of Charlie's "from 1 Charlie"...was at a record convention..i checked it out & bought it,as I was paying the seller said "thats a pretty good deal"...after he had the $ and I had the LP I said"it sure is especially being autographed !!"..I'll never forget the look on his face....I paid less than $20...

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: September 1, 2014 15:39

Mine is pretty modest, but about ten years ago I found a 100 Proof Aged in Soul compilation that normally sells for fifteen to twenty dollars (U.S.) in a .99 CD bin.

Or maybe it was finding a sealed copy of Denise LaSalle's 1972 LP Trapped By a Thing Called Love for $4.99.

Date: September 1, 2014 15:47

Of affectional value, it would be my three LPs (London I and II and Paris) from the Stax Volt-Revue. Got them cheap, in great condition.

Date: September 1, 2014 16:58

I believe my second best was getting the 'Not Fade Away' US 45 with picture sleeve for about $30, again on EBAY...that is normally the $150-200 range.

I also picked up a sealed 64-69 vinyl box set in Toronto last year, at Sunrise Records for $270...that one was already selling for over $1000 everywhere else, so a nice surprise.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 1, 2014 17:14

For me, it was small purchases, not about monetary value. I had recently read a book (guessing around 1981) that made me aware of 2 items I've never seen, or heard about ... Jammin' W/ Edward and Bill's solo Monkey Grip. I found both on cassette in a bargain bin, for about $1.99 each - it was in one of those record stores that used to be in every mall at that time, I believe it was called Wall To Wall Sound. I was in heaven!

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: September 1, 2014 17:31

Last year I bought a factory sealed 1970 London press of Get Your Ya Ya's Out for 6 euro, don't know if it's worth more than I paid but atleast it felt like a good deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-01 18:06 by EasterMan.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: September 1, 2014 17:44

A couple of years ago I found the US original Hot Rocks double LP with the alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses, for about £14... >grinning smiley<

Date: September 1, 2014 18:27

Come On
Frank Sinatra's 'Sinatra sings great songs from Great Britain' for just 3 quids..(English Pounds)...on LP...

That album was the missing Peace to get Sinatra complete in my Collection...I now have 93 Sinatra vinyl albums...

Never came across a Sinatra collector in all my years of selling. Muy cool! What's your one 'go to' album in your collection? All I have is the Reprise and Capital promo cd's from the box set's. Also have a bootleg cd of Frank, Dean and Sammy at the Sands from '63. It's great. The interaction with the audience and the off colour jokes are great. Some you could not get away with in today's pc world. Wish I could have seen them.

Scotty

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: September 1, 2014 19:31

rootsman
A couple of years ago I found the US original Hot Rocks double LP with the alternate versions of Brown Sugar and Wild Horses, for about £14... >grinning smiley<

The same happened to me on Ebay ! $ 13,50 !!! (+ postage to France)...
I admit it was not in mint condition but I couldn't resist.
I already had 3 copies before, one in excellent condition, 2 others in very good condition. I gave 1 copy to a friend collecting.

All 4 have exactly the same labels without any variation, and exactly the same matrix numbers without any variation. Cool to hear outtakes on an official album.

An other real bargain was a rare bootleg EP called "Hot Rocks" for something like 40 euros this year - very rare item, I think.

And another one,, a lot of 35 bootleg CD's (mostly were VGP 2 CD sets)(real factory CD's - no CD-r copies) for something like 400 euros, to an italian guy, here on IORR. Thanks again to him.

Posted by: Bartje ()
Date: September 1, 2014 20:10

Well. my ultra best bargain is the USA terrifying CSK 1897 Promo cd
í've bought it for €170 .from a guy in the US. and we know all the value from this one .!!!!!

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: September 1, 2014 20:16

I got Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs for £2 in a Fopp in Cambridge, a little while after I started playing guitar. Still very happy about that one!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 1, 2014 20:20

3 x triple Stones vinyl boots.........immaculate condition - Terrifying, Atlantic City '89 x 2 and Gothenburg '82 - One more time.........
£10 per set.........

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 1, 2014 20:33

In the context, the following: I was completely out of money one time in the 70s. I then obtained 10 out of 12 football results and won a limited sum that all the same made it possible for me to buy one bootleg I just then saw to become available. This was the bootleg NASTY SONGS. That is, Brussel 1973 (but including two tracks from US '72, "Love in Vain" and "Sweet Virginia" ).

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 1, 2014 23:20

As far as the Stones cd's probably Flashpoint+Collectibles for $20 still sealed, the guy didn't know what he had and I wasn't about to tell him. Also stumbled upon a King Biscuit 1973 radio show with cue sheet for $30 on Ebay several years back.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: September 2, 2014 00:03

in year 2002 Gerge Harrison´original triple LP "all things must pass" 15€
in 2004 i sold it by something between 150-170€

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home