Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10
Re: question about keiths book LIFE?
Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 27, 2014 11:09

desertblues68
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
desertblues68
His children book is out next month.

That's much cooler than writing childish 'keeping up appearances' autobiographies...

- Doxa

Actually, it is pretty cool - and unexpected grinning smiley
Yeah, I will be buying that, but not for myself, I will be reading it with my friend's kids>grinning smiley<
I believe he will surprise us! He certainly did surprise me last time!>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 11:18 by desertblues68.

Date: August 27, 2014 11:14

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
desertblues68
His children book is out next month.

That's much cooler than writing childish 'keeping up appearances' autobiographies...

- Doxa

Actually, it is pretty cool - and unexpected grinning smiley

Well, I think it is cool because that shows that he is not that bounded by that image thing you Dandie seem to argue him being so necessarily bounded by...

- Doxa

The man's got different facets, Doxa. He's also playing classical music and is giving away recipes in that book smiling smiley

He's lived through over 50 years of rock'n'roll, though, and it would be utterly dishonest, imo, not to tell about some of the distasteful things he's done - and try to explain why.

The fact that some fans don't like it is just how it should be. He has obcviously written this book for himself, not for us. It's not mass entertainment, it's a bio.

Should he have left out the gun incident in Chicago? The drunk driving? The knife hunt in his garden? The drunken scene with his In-laws? Todgergate? Mick and Anita? Marianne? The drug busts?

The only way he could have avoided this pirate thing, imo, would be if he chose to write a book totally devoted to his love for music. However, since the mid/late 60s there has been more to Keith than just the music...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 11:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 27, 2014 12:52

DandelionPowderman

The fact that some fans don't like it is just how it should be. He has obcviously written this book for himself, not for us. It's not mass entertainment, it's a bio.

Should he have left out the gun incident in Chicago? The drunk driving? The knife hunt in his garden? The drunken scene with his In-laws? Todgergate? Mick and Anita? Marianne? The drug busts?

I see those two passages totally contradicting each other. Because it is mass entertainment, to be newsworthy, and needs to achieve such a big audience as possible - as a Rolling Stones show - he needs to talk such things to be the interesting Keith Richards, of which he he is famous and familiar - the poor pirate needs to show what a badass he is, and he can talk about anything as he pleases, because he can. To some fans that seems to be 'genuine', and he is praised for that, but for some of us, like me, that's very predictable, just another public act or performance we are so used to (too much) along the last thirty years or so. To some of us that act doesn't entertain, please, move, touch, excite, amuse or whatever us just as that much any longer. Probably this "extended 80's interview" - or how 71Tele it accurately described - was just too much. Enough is enough.

He might written partly for himself - for whatever personal psychological issues, etc - but in the end it is just another 'tell it all' book, and Keith Richards milks out his own legacy/legend/myth for whatever cost just to make some more money and to be a big recognized big news celebrity. Even his beloved band, into which he claims to be so loyal, is sacrified for the aims of this task.

The way I see it, LIFE is too much based on Keith Richards' claim to fame as a celebrity (alongside that of music) - that of being that Keef character and acting according to it. I think how much we like that character, in the end, is the thing determining how much we are able enjoy the book. I read the book when it was released, and haven't touch it since then, but what I remember of my reading back then, was that of liking less and less the person who is claimed to have 'written' it, as the pages go by. It was like listening some old bitter drunk in the nearest joint sharing his 'interesting' stories and telling the 'truth' as it 'feels' for him, without one inch ability to self-reflection. And worse it got when the years go by. Finally it started to be painful to try catch the possible interesting info and new details, while trying to avoid the voice telling all those self-glamouring drunken stories, or expressing his 'feels', 'views' or 'inner thoughts', of which I couldn't care less any longer. When I got it finished, it felt like a relief. In many ways.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 12:54 by Doxa.

Date: August 27, 2014 13:12

I don't necessarily disagree, Doxa, but I sincerely doubt that Life was a tell it ALL-book.

I'm sure there are lots of ruined lives out there, because of members of the Rolling Stones, who didn't make the book. He could easily have presented more juicy stories, which heavily would have exceeded the ones in the book.

If he was/is a "bitter old drunk", why shouldn't he behave like one in the book?

The safari-story was indeed painful, but not for the reasons you describe here grinning smiley

I think it's hard for many to accept that Keith has been a parody of himself for decades. Not being that in the book would have peeled off all the rest of its trustworthiness, imo.

Date: August 27, 2014 13:21

DandelionPowderman

I think it's hard for many to accept that Keith has been a parody of himself for decades.

You seem to stress this point quite much. Probably some of us, like me, just doesn't have that wisdom, knowledge, or full-hearted understanding for that Keef character, as you do, Dandie...

Actually, I don't think the issue is not solely that of us being so ignorant or stupid for not "accepting" Sir Keefness, but more that of not liking it any longer. An aesthetical judgement.

- Doxa

Date: August 27, 2014 13:31

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I think it's hard for many to accept that Keith has been a parody of himself for decades.

You seem to stress this point quite much. Probably some of us, like me, just doesn't have that wisdom, knowledge, or full-hearted understanding for that Keef character, as you do, Dandie...

Actually, I don't think the issue is not solely that of us being so ignorant or stupid for not "accepting" Sir Keefness, but more that of not liking it any longer. An aesthetical judgement.

- Doxa

You're missing my point. It's not about accepting "Sir Keefness", but more about accepting that he isn't the guy you wanted him to be (aka "not liking" ).

Personally, I don't like people who show someone the blade, not even when it's done for the "fun" of it or tongue in cheek. I don't "like" Keith. I've known that for decades. That is my point, that this book triggered adults into "not liking him any longer", when they should have known that for ages.

A morally and aesthetical judgement winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 13:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: August 27, 2014 13:42

But then everyone is more than one thing
Perhaps keith is ready to discard the sir keefness now
" I've done my gig and just want to live to the end of the string"

Date: August 27, 2014 14:06

DandelionPowderman

You're missing my point. It's not about accepting "Sir Keefness", but more about accepting that he isn't the guy you wanted him to be (aka "not liking" ).

I do get the point, but I don't accept it..winking smiley Honestly, I don't quite grasp what the cash value of "accepting that he isn't the guy you wanted him to be" is. For me, he is 'just' a public performer and figure, who does whatever he is up to, whatever he pleases. My part is just to make up my mind if I like his act or not. Quite a simple relation between him and me. That's like it has been always like. He does, and I judge. Probably he has changed along the years (or not), most likely I am (I hope), but it doesn't matter: the same relationship holds on; he does, and I judge.grinning smiley

The thing is that with the Stones - if we are frank, boys and girls - it has never been 'just the music' - it is the character, looks, style, whatever 'coolness' that is a part of the attraction. So it is that front - even though I haven't so full-heartidly thrilled about the music side either for ages - in where Keith's LIFE hits hard. Take the 'cool-factor' out of Keith Richards, then what you have... Let's say, I don't have such a big heart as some of you do, who seem to 'understand' the actions of this aging man, but let's say I am not that interested in that real human being that I need to go psychological and use principle of charity, like in trying to understand the questionable actions and behaviour of my friends and relatives, etc. I never want to be that close to Keith Richards, or any of my 'heroes' or 'idols'. I just want to be a fan boy...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Date: August 27, 2014 14:15

That's more like it, Doxa. Great post! thumbs up

<My part is just to make up my mind if I like his act or not.>

Of course. Just as I should be allowed to surprised, about hordes of fans all of sudden found out that they didn't like his act, after reading his bio.

And it's just MY THEORY that people didn't have that knowledge prior to reading the book - NOT that they are stupid or ignorant. That difference is remarkable grinning smiley

Posted by: Gemini ()
Date: August 27, 2014 14:20

Some of the promotional interviews for the book have more of what some posters here seem to have been hoping for. James Fox just might not have been all that good at getting all that much of the mature and reflective side out of Keith.

I personally think Keith got exhausted and bored by the whole process of talking about the past for the book early on and that it could be partly why there isn't that much deep reflection about things in the book.

Date: August 27, 2014 14:25

DandelionPowderman

Of course. Just as I should be allowed to surprised, about hordes of fans all of sudden found out that they didn't like his act, after reading his bio.

And it's just MY THEORY that people didn't have that knowledge prior to reading the book - NOT that they are stupid or ignorant. That difference is remarkable grinning smiley

I think it's more a case of some people hoping for something different from what we've seen for decades, a more mature and reflective approach rather than just the usual act.

Date: August 27, 2014 15:03

Gemini
DandelionPowderman

I think it's more a case of some people hoping for something different from what we've seen for decades, a more mature and reflective approach rather than just the usual act.

We got both. That's better than only the act? smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2014 15:13

Mostly the act, but some of the cat, probably because of the fox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 15:14 by Gemini.

Date: August 27, 2014 15:28

I was hoping for more stories of the music-making, guitar playing and Blues-loving Keith. That's the real Keith for me.

We got some of that, and I really liked the "guitar workshop"-section in the book. That, and the childhood years, including how he got sucked into the obsession of music is brilliantly told, imo.

We Can't Always Get Everything Of What We Want...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 27, 2014 15:51

DandelionPowderman
You want Keith to write a novel, Tele? grinning smiley

Isn't that what we actually got, 'based' in fact?

Date: August 27, 2014 15:58

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Isn't that what we actually got, 'based' in fact?

In that case, he's breaking new ground, by "running too deep" into the making of "dogs'n'root fruits"...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: August 27, 2014 20:25

DandelionPowderman

He already did, Dandy. smoking smiley

Date: August 27, 2014 20:27

swiss
71Tele
swiss
treaclefingers
I wasn't prepared for how much I would end up disliking him.

I know you poke fun of nuances in word meanings (e.g., tedious vs boring -- not the same, btw),
but I'm curious whether you're more disillusioned by, or you straight up now dislike, Keith?

I had to shift how I saw him, somewhat, but it was a welcome "correction" ultimately, because it's
more realistic -- Keith warts and all is how I see that book.

Hmm...That's what I thought at first. But when you so carefully stage-manage the "warts", is it really "warts and all"? I think it's about a 75% honest book. It raised as many questions as it answered. That said, what a person chooses to put in hos or her own story can be as interesting as the unvarnished objective "truth". I love Dylan's "Chronicles". Not so much because it was true - he made a lot of it up out of whole cloth - but because it so accurately represented how Dylan wants to be seen, and what his relationship is to his public image. Plus, it was so damn entertaining you didn't care that much if it was true.

Stage managing warts - lol! Do you mean the reader or the writer/editor? The book felt very
"casually," even haphazardly, put together -- tho, as I said earlier in this thread, that doesn't
seem inconsistent with what many of us know of Keith as a person or as a musician. I was
uncomfortable several times when Keith hit on a topic that was potentially emotionally intense,
but which he didn't seem to have the capacity to navigate honestly (perhaps to your point),
so instead went into this over-the-top braggadocious place, that felt so disingenuous and
hollow. I figured he did the best he could at the time. And, again, I do hope he writes more.

btw...what happened to the Neil Young/divorce/projection thread?

Yes, "to my point" exactly. You put it well...the Neil Young thread mysteriously disappeared, then reappeared again minus last night's posts. This sort of random arbitrary censorship (because that's what it is) is mysterious. What could have been so offensive in this posts so as to warrant removal of the thread and deletion of posts?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 27, 2014 20:32

71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
treaclefingers

I know you poke fun of nuances in word meanings (e.g., tedious vs boring -- not the same, btw),
but I'm curious whether you're more disillusioned by, or you straight up now dislike, Keith?

I had to shift how I saw him, somewhat, but it was a welcome "correction" ultimately, because it's

Hmm...That's what I thought at first. But when you so carefully stage-manage the "warts", is it really "warts and all"? I think it's about a 75% honest book. It raised as many questions as it answered. That said, what a person chooses to put in hos or her own story can be as interesting as the unvarnished objective "truth". I love Dylan's "Chronicles". Not so much because it was true - he made a lot of it up out of whole cloth - but because it so accurately represented how Dylan wants to be seen, and what his relationship is to his public image. Plus, it was so damn entertaining you didn't care that much if it was true.

Stage managing warts - lol! Do you mean the reader or the writer/editor? The book felt very
"casually," even haphazardly, put together -- tho, as I said earlier in this thread, that doesn't
seem inconsistent with what many of us know of Keith as a person or as a musician. I was
uncomfortable several times when Keith hit on a topic that was potentially emotionally intense,
but which he didn't seem to have the capacity to navigate honestly (perhaps to your point),
so instead went into this over-the-top braggadocious place, that felt so disingenuous and
hollow. I figured he did the best he could at the time. And, again, I do hope he writes more.

Yes, "to my point" exactly. You put it well...the Neil Young thread mysteriously disappeared, then reappeared again minus last night's posts. This sort of random arbitrary censorship (because that's what it is) is mysterious. What could have been so offensive in this posts so as to warrant removal of the thread and deletion of posts?

Well, I suppose thinks can be offending when one does not know this. Perhaps we will speak more to
this topic over a happy hour when surfed up draft-style beers and tasty snecks.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 27, 2014 20:34

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

He already did, Dandy. smoking smiley
I guess that certain parts of the book such as todger gate helped the sales. A couple of my mates who are not fans of the band really loved the book and found it funny and entertainingsmoking smiley

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 27, 2014 21:27

I loved LIFE. Obviously from the dialogue on this thread, it's affected us in different ways. I came to the book with very little knowledge about Keith and the Stones. I bought at as a Christmas gift for my husband - who at the time he was the big Stones fan in the family (I've since eclipsed his #1 Stones fan ranking). I didn't think it would be anything more than a bunch of drivel.

What grabbed me was Keith's voice - it didn't sound egotistical. I even found it self-depreciating in places. And I was entertained and amused with its humor...again, the stories were new to me.

When I mentioned forgiveness, I was addressing those who sounded judgmental about the death of his infant, Tara. But it's certainly your right to be judgmental - Ha my error for judging your judgments. winking smiley

smoking smiley

Date: August 27, 2014 21:48

swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
treaclefingers

Well, I suppose thinks can be offending when one does not know this. Perhaps we will speak more to

You are treading dangerously, madam...I noticed that the thread disapearred yet again.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! smoking smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 28, 2014 00:16

71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
treaclefingers

You are treading dangerously, madam...I noticed that the thread disapearred yet again.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain! smoking smiley

It is one of the top stories on all the music and entertainment sites, big news in my neck of the woods, I'm sorry we can't discuss it here. Nothing offensive about divorce in general.. confused smiley peace

Date: August 28, 2014 02:35

agree, NL. Nothing offensive at all.

Date: August 28, 2014 04:09

71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
treaclefingers

You are treading dangerously, madam...

Whatever are you talking about, 71Tele? I'm most certain I haven't threat people on IORR, or had
insulting naming, or poor languages, and personal attacks. confused smiley I belief all is well now!

btw...I own 2 copies of LIFE. I hope someday to have him sign one. Does anyone have a hand-signed copy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-28 04:12 by swiss.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2014 04:47

Does anyone have a hand-signed copy? Yes ...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 28, 2014 05:02

Rockman

Figures. smoking smiley

Date: August 28, 2014 05:04

swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
treaclefingers

Whatever are you talking about, 71Tele? I'm most certain I haven't threat people on IORR, or had
insulting naming, or poor languages, and personal attacks. confused smiley I belief all is well now!

btw...I own 2 copies of LIFE. I hope someday to have him sign one. Does anyone have a hand-signed copy?

I "belief" it too, Swiss. smoking smiley

Date: August 28, 2014 05:18

71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
71Tele
swiss
treaclefingers

I "belief" it too, Swiss. smoking smiley

oh you! all ways full of the tasty jokes! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-28 05:20 by swiss.

Date: August 28, 2014 05:19

Rockman

Dag! Did KR hand you the hand-signed copy?

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 8 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home