Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Where are all the photos from the 78 US Tour?
Date: August 23, 2014 14:40

MingSubu
That is what I'm thinking. Keep more pressure and stays in tune better???

Back to the 3rd and 2nd fret capo pic. What song could they be on? Could that be a slide on his pinky? It looks awful straight.

He played slide on Happy.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 23, 2014 18:08

DandelionPowderman
I agree, Carpet, but I'm not sure about what you had in mind with 1977?

I love it when we agree. smileys with beer

HM, well he didnt feel well and didnt look well in 1977 but yes I love the style, it's him during a horrible year (s) and I like the ragged Keith.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 23, 2014 18:09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-23 18:10 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: August 23, 2014 19:01

thumbs up

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 24, 2014 04:24

The last dangerous Stones tour.very mysterious tour with very little coverage .

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: August 26, 2014 10:14

Very little coverage...you would think with their biggest selling album...they would be shouting to the world...but that wasn't the case...a mystery indeed of the lack of coverage.

In America, Disco was at it's hight, punk was in the news, and KISS was all the rage...and the Eagles were the biggest band.

Strange the Stones didn't try to force their position.

A little trivia...After spending 6 weeks #1 on the Billboard charts in America,
Some Girls got bumped from the #1 spot by which record?

The Blues Brothers...in the year when disco ruled...go figure...

PECMAN

Date: August 26, 2014 10:16

Pecman
Very little coverage...you would think with their biggest selling album...they would be shouting to the world...but that wasn't the case...a mystery indeed of the lack of coverage.

In America, Disco was at it's hight, punk was in the news, and KISS was all the rage...and the Eagles were the biggest band.

Strange the Stones didn't try to force their position.

A little trivia...After spending 6 weeks #1 on the Billboard charts in America,
Some Girls got bumped from the #1 spot by which record?

The Blues Brothers...in the year when disco ruled...go figure...

PECMAN

The Blues Brothers kicked the disco off the top of the charts, then winking smiley

It was a difficult time for the Stones. I think they did the best they could with the summer tour under these circumstances.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 27, 2014 05:13

Edith Grove

The pics are copyrighted by Chuck Mayer, so I will only post the link here:

http://www.rockstars.texmaps.com/Rolling Stones/1978/slides/Stones.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-27 06:09 by schillid.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 27, 2014 05:31

Date: August 29, 2014 01:49

Date: August 29, 2014 01:50

Lakeland 1978

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 29, 2014 09:33

A as side information but interesting: wikipedia about Charlie & the 78 US-Tour:

"The tour was the first in which Charlie Watts used the famous Gretch drum set that he continues to play with the Stones to this day, as well as his first employment of a china cymbal as a crash and dropping out his hi-hat when hitting the snare drum, two unique techniques that he continues to employ today."

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 29, 2014 13:57

Without knowing for sure, I definitely noted that Charlie sounds quite a bit like the "modern Charlie" on the '78 live records, especially because of the china cymbal.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: August 29, 2014 15:31

LieB

I also have the feeling that punk influenced the stripped-down approach and "ramshackle" feel of this tour. Mick probably felt that the bloated glam of '75-76 was out of fashion.
\

Definitely. Another sign is Keith and Mick looking lean and mean at least in these photos. Shorter hair. They look the opposite of laid back. I bet the tunes were played faster. Coke consumption may have been a factor

Stripped down like the punks who called The Stones dinosaurs. This was The Stones reaction to the youthful punk wave.

There is that photo of Mick talking to, getting pointers?, from Joe Strummer. Outside the Philadelphia stadium the Stones are playing

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: August 29, 2014 15:52

triceratops

There is that photo of Mick talking to, getting pointers?, from Joe Strummer. Outside the Philadelphia stadium the Stones are playing

I remember this pic from another thread [www.iorr.org] . Christiano Radke provided a link to all the info about it: [www.corbisimages.com] . Mick Jagger & Mick Jones are shown backstage at a 1982 concert by The Who in Philly in 1982, and the pic was taken by Neal Preston.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 29, 2014 16:01

Plink
triceratops

I remember this pic from another thread [www.iorr.org] . Christiano Radke provided a link to all the info about it: [www.corbisimages.com] . Mick Jagger & Mick Jones are shown backstage at a 1982 concert by The Who in Philly in 1982, and the pic was taken by Neal Preston.

Right: This is Mick 1982.He wears the same shirt and glasses at the press conference in Munich Olympia Stadium the same year when he announces the European Leg of the 81/82-Tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2014 16:04

24FPS
I felt like I caught the last whiff of that 60s mania. It got real Jovan after that.

HA HA! That's AWESOME!

Date: August 29, 2014 16:11

RAMSHACKLE!

withaheadfullofsnow

Philly 78

Date: August 29, 2014 16:30

triceratops
LieB

I also have the feeling that punk influenced the stripped-down approach and "ramshackle" feel of this tour. Mick probably felt that the bloated glam of '75-76 was out of fashion.
\

Definitely. Another sign is Keith and Mick looking lean and mean at least in these photos. Shorter hair. They look the opposite of laid back. I bet the tunes were played faster. Coke consumption may have been a factor

Stripped down like the punks who called The Stones dinosaurs. This was The Stones reaction to the youthful punk wave.

Yet Mick continued to wear those horrible old English man shuffling around the garden shirts. Awful.

Date: August 29, 2014 16:33

Plink
triceratops

Sorry... not 1978 but still looks like Mick was getting some punk pointers from JS

Date: August 29, 2014 16:35

Anyway, in response to the subject title of this thread... all the photos from the 78 US tour are probably in all of those shoes.

Date: August 29, 2014 16:41

triceratops
Plink
triceratops

Sorry... not 1978 but still looks like Mick was getting some punk pointers from JS

He may or may not have been getting punk pointers (not that he's ever needed any), but he wasn't getting them from Joe Strummer, because the guy in the photo w/ Mick Jagger is, in fact, Mick Jones! Below is a pic of the Clash by Bob Gruen from Sept, 1982, w/ Mick Jones wearing the same outfit (I assume both pix are from the same day in Philly, and that The Clash must have opened for The Who)

Now, back to 1978...
I like this one (unfortunately, cannot identify photographer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-29 19:58 by Plink.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: August 29, 2014 20:36

Let's not forget their appearance on Saturday Night Live!!

Date: August 29, 2014 22:43

@Plink
Thanks for the photos and for correcting my sloppiness

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 29, 2014 23:58

this is what happens on the internet when people rewrite history the way they think it "was"-

or just make shit up- like the poster here who doesnt know that i know who he is and he told us on another site for years he saw the band first in 81,now its 78 and sometimes 75.

the 1978 rolling stones tour was a monster,it was huge news everywhere.back then you had 3 rock stations in every city talking about the rolling stones nonstop,print media took the place of what we use the net for now and there was creem magazine,rolling stone,and hit parader as well as a bunch of other rock mags.the stones being who they are also appeared in a variety of other magazines as well as the local newspapers.tv was a no-no,the huge bands never went on tv.it was thought of the same way vegas was back then.late night tv gets a video clip,thats all-snl was the exception to the rule.

just like some girls is a blend of rock,punk, disco,country etc the tour was a mixture also.the small halls followed the punk thing-we can still cut it without the trappings. the arenas were them doing the normal stones thing and the stadiums were them being one of the 2 biggest bands on the planet[along with zep]

getting tickets went as follows-

stadium-everybody got in,huge crowds 70-90,000 people

arena-really tough ticket,get in if you're lucky.

theater-take your pick,sell a kidney or your first born.

some girls was on top of the charts most of the summer and the tour had a huge buzz.in big cities who got a small show it just created more publicity and made people want the stones even more.
there were about 100 million less people in the states back then so if your band was packing a football stadium that was a big deal.led zeppelin owned the summer of 77 and the stones owned 1978-there was nothing quiet,mysterious or unknown about it.

Re: 78 US Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 30, 2014 02:42

lem motlow
this is what happens on the internet when people rewrite history the way they think it "was"-

or just make shit up- like the poster here who doesnt know that i know who he is and he told us on another site for years he saw the band first in 81,now its 78 and sometimes 75.

the stones owned 1978-there was nothing quiet,mysterious or unknown about it.

^ That. '78 tour was BIG news.

tv was a no-no,the huge bands never went on tv.it was thought of the same way vegas was back then.late night tv gets a video clip,thats all-snl was the exception to the rule.

Not quite...see BIG news.

"20/20" teased Geraldo Rivera's interview from the Woodstock rehearsals a few days ahead of the tour start, and ran the full piece a couple of weeks later.

[www.eyeneer.com]

Date: August 30, 2014 07:22

triceratops
@Plink
Thanks for the photos and for correcting my sloppiness

No problem smileys with beer

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 30, 2014 09:34

Wow - all these photos makes me realize that this was the last tour where Keith was just a guitar player... not KEITH.

He was probably at his most human in '78 - no longer totally strung out, yet not the survivor/drunken pirate icon that he became a few years later. Kind of stuck in the middle - it couldn't have been easy for him.

These pics show a human being in an incredibly fragile state yet who is rocking harder and looking cooler than pretty much any other person ever.

When the old bastard eventually croaks, it's gonna be photos like the ones here that will absolutely slay me.

Keep 'em coming - threads like this are why I love this message board!

Re: 78 US Tour
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 5, 2014 01:27

bye bye johnny
lem motlow

the stones owned 1978-there was nothing quiet,mysterious or unknown about it.

^ That. '78 tour was BIG news.

tv was a no-no,the huge bands never went on tv.it was thought of the same way vegas was back then.late night tv gets a video clip,thats all-snl was the exception to the rule.

Not quite...see BIG news.

"20/20" teased Geraldo Rivera's interview from the Woodstock rehearsals a few days ahead of the tour start, and ran the full piece a couple of weeks later.

[www.eyeneer.com]

oh man,thanks for that! that was amazing to see again.what i meant by the big bands not going on t.v. was you didnt see them going to a studio and filming a segment.geraldo went to them and you can hear the reverence when he's talking to hugh downes about them.he did one from montauk in 75 too and we counted the days until it came on,.but my point is you didnt see jimmy page on the johnny carson show or pete townshend on the today show.

there is probably some television stuff from the from the 70's but its rare,probably more from england though.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home