Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Where are all the photos from the 78 US Tour?
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 21, 2014 20:50

Do someone of you have an idea where to get footage/pictures from the 78 US-Tour.
Whenever I see one picture of this tour they look incredible good.
Especially the outdoor-shows.
Is there a book about this tour?
Does somebody know who took pictures like these and where they were published?
Please help.
We in Europe missed that tour.
Pitures like this can cure :-)

Re: Where are all the photos from the 78 US Tour?
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: August 21, 2014 21:44

" Where are all the photos from the 78 US Tour? "

Mostly in people's drawers having been rendered on Kodak Instamatics. The Stones were not at their photogenic best and the tour was sort of thrown together, presumably without the usual propagandists in tow.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 21, 2014 21:52

Now I know what ppl in the front row said in 78 : "that stage is so high we can't see sh@t!"

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 21, 2014 22:12

rbk
" Where are all the photos from the 78 US Tour? "

Mostly in people's drawers having been rendered on Kodak Instamatics. The Stones were not at their photogenic best and the tour was sort of thrown together, presumably without the usual propagandists in tow.

They were their photogenic fourth best: 1975 and the different 1976 and the different 1977 being the best ones. Last tour with Keith when he could wear anything, say anything, do anything and always, always always be smashing.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 21, 2014 22:21

78 , in some ways, still is a very mysterious tour...Saw them in Oakland and it was absolutely great as it was MJ birthday. I think the Doobies played as well. Almost all "Some Girls" and some people kept shouting for the "war horses" even back then!!! Agree, it was really the last true Stones tour in terms of MJ/KR and the sound...Bill was also fantastic this tour imo.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 21, 2014 22:39

Brstonesfan
78 , in some ways, still is a very mysterious tour...Saw them in Oakland and it was absolutely great as it was MJ birthday. I think the Doobies played as well. Almost all "Some Girls" and some people kept shouting for the "war horses" even back then!!! Agree, it was really the last true Stones tour in terms of MJ/KR and the sound...Bill was also fantastic this tour imo.

I find that this tour is one that even Stones fans haven't heard. Most people didn't buy Sucking In The 70s (Whip took my fandom to a different level) and most have never heard Handsome Girls. Live In Texas 78 is a gem. Wish I could've taken every rocknroll fan to the theater when it played.

Date: August 21, 2014 22:52

After listening to Brussels and Ya Yas for years I was shocked when I came across Handsome Girls. It's magnificent, and still sounds better than the wonderful Live In Texas, imo.

Date: August 21, 2014 22:55

Agreed. Handsome Girls is simply fantastic.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: August 21, 2014 22:55

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 21, 2014 23:34

The first two are from the July 23 Anaheim show.

The photos are out there, you just have to search.
I usually do a Google search, images, and type in Rolling Stones, Oakland, 1978, or whatever.

What I find amazing is I've not seen one photo from the 1966 UK tour (except from the Albert Hall). Nothing. Zilch.

Same with the Beatles 1965 UK winter tour. Just a few fuzzy Instamatics.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: August 22, 2014 00:03

Yeah...this tour was probably the best...but it was so slapped together...there is almost no footage other than Live In Texas...no live album which is bizarre because they sounded awesome and were playing a hit record in which they played 8 of the 10 songs on the album...I think they didn't play "Some Girls" and "Lies". (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

They completely blew off New York City...doing 2 tiny shows...one at the Palladium on 14th street and one in NJ...I think the Passaic Theatre?

It really wasn't planned very well...I think they peppered in those small shows
to kill time as they moved the big stage around...this was really the first time in America where they were dealing with moving a giant stage around.

Would have loved more footage, more pictures, more everything.

PECMAN

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: August 22, 2014 00:04

[rockinhouston.com]

Lot of great pictures here ,also Faces, Barbarians etc etc

Date: August 22, 2014 00:06

They didn't play BTMMR and SG. On some gigs, as on the live album Some Girls Live In Texas, they skipped Lies.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: August 22, 2014 00:27

Ahhhhhhhhh Rolling Stones 1978 raw and raunchy music on this tour. Caught the Chicago show at Soldiers Field but got caught trying to get my camera in. Here's one of my favorites from that tour.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 22, 2014 00:36

'78 tour was pretty well documented. Lots of great Lynn Goldsmith black and whites.

[www.google.com]
_____

Charlie Auringer in Detroit:

[www.google.com]
_____

Great Ft. Worth photoset by Joe Abel of the San Antonio Express-News:

[www.mysanantonio.com]
_____

And as suggested, Google will do the heavy lifting. Likely as not that many of the photos pulled up will be from various IORR threads.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: August 22, 2014 00:55

Keith 'takes off' in Oakland - July 1978 - One of my favorites

Date: August 22, 2014 03:35

I was at that show!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 22, 2014 03:38

mccparty

Yes he does...thanks mcparty, I never, ever tire of seeing this Keith.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 22, 2014 05:26

mccparty

That is exactly the vibe I was asking for.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: August 22, 2014 05:27

Yes..that's 3 they didn't do...or did they play "Lies" along the way?

Is it official they didn't play "Some Girls" and
Before They Make Me Run"?...and was "Lies " played?

Didn't Keith play "Before They Make Me Run" on the New Barbarians Tour in 1979?

PECMAN

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 22, 2014 05:35

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 22, 2014 06:58

The tour is rather mysterious. You can't take it out of its context. Keith was still facing big prison time in Canada and looked like death at the Cleveland show I was at. There was a strange vibe. Ramshackle is indeed a good word for this tour. And those festival seating outdoor shows were always dangerous. This was the last tour where they famously didn't do an encore. I felt like I caught the last whiff of that 60s mania. It got real Jovan after that.

Date: August 22, 2014 07:05

100% correct.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 22, 2014 07:38

caschimann
That is exactly the vibe I was asking for.

Baron Wolman included that Keith photo in his book “Every Picture Tells A Story – Baron Wolman, The Rolling Stone Years.”

Another:

Many more iconic images from Wolman's Rolling Stone career - [www.therollingstoneyears.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 22, 2014 08:05

I don't think it was haphazardly planned. I think they left their options open (big gigs, small gigs, etc).

Why they skipped NYC, I have no idea except that the other option was to play 6 nights at the Garden, which they (Mick) probably didn't want to do.

I've always wondered if there was a scheduling misfire with the release of Some Girls. That was released on the date of the JFK Stadium gig. I think if it had come out two-three weeks before, the crowd would have been more familiar with it.
Then again, they used to do that a lot back then, release albums while the tour was going on (George Harrison and his Dark Horse tour and album. Zeppelin at Kenbworth is another example).

It's still their best tour, IMO, and the guitars never sounded better. Charlie, too.

Date: August 22, 2014 08:47

Pecman
Yes..that's 3 they didn't do...or did they play "Lies" along the way?

Is it official they didn't play "Some Girls" and
Before They Make Me Run"?...and was "Lies " played?

Didn't Keith play "Before They Make Me Run" on the New Barbarians Tour in 1979?

PECMAN

They did Lies on most of the shows.

BTMMR was indeed debuted with the New Barbarians, with a triple intro thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 22, 2014 09:43

24FPS
The tour is rather mysterious. You can't take it out of its context. Keith was still facing big prison time in Canada and looked like death at the Cleveland show I was at. There was a strange vibe. Ramshackle is indeed a good word for this tour. And those festival seating outdoor shows were always dangerous. This was the last tour where they famously didn't do an encore. I felt like I caught the last whiff of that 60s mania. It got real Jovan after that.

The danger was real and so was the band. Maybe the most real ever. The interaction onstage is fantastic. It's not their best tour, it's not 1972 or 1973 but it is one of their best.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 22, 2014 09:48

My first Stones show (Boulder, CO). Still 1 of the best.smoking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 22, 2014 12:26

24FPS

I also have the feeling that punk influenced the stripped-down approach and "ramshackle" feel of this tour. Mick probably felt that the bloated glam of '75-76 was out of fashion.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1478
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home