Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Crawdaddy Club
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 21, 2014 17:21

Seeing as it is quite on the Stones front,thought I would try and find some info on early days in Richmond and Kingston,my home town, about The Stones.

Found these two videos which are interesting and I hadn't seen before.

There is a new Crawdaddy Club in Richmond,but yet to visit it.

Hey Crawdaddy was The Stones signature tune at the time,and sung at every gig there. winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-14 00:36 by bv.

Re: The Crawdaddy Club.
Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: August 22, 2014 01:24

Thanks - new to me too - really good stuff!
Cheers

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 22, 2014 01:36

Too bad that film no longer exists! Would have been interesting to see video of the pre-fame Stones...

Date: August 22, 2014 02:02

Someone has got it somewhere, and I don't think it is MJ. In an old suitcase, attic or shed in London area I guess.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: August 22, 2014 02:19

Great energy from the band and especially the crowd. Love it!

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 22, 2014 04:41

It's opposite the Richmond train station yeah? I went there back in '05 and it was called some silly name, can't remember, the Bat and Ball or something. I couldn't believe it wasn't decked out with full on Stones stuff as a selling point. Behind the Cavern it'd be one of the most significant music venues England has I would have thought. Plus it's where the Beatles went to see the Stones and they met for the first time. One would have thought it'd be a British national treasure.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 22, 2014 09:33

The original venue opposite the station has changed hands several times and is currently One Kew Road Bar and Dining Rooms - no indication of its history on the outside any more

although the place next door has this display:

The revived Crawdaddy Club meets at the original Crawdaddy's second venue at the Athletic Ground - it's a fairly recent innovation and I haven't got there yet, but here is their website (there's a picture of Bill at their opening night in there somewhere.)

[www.crawdaddyclubrichmond.com]

Date: August 22, 2014 11:01

Thanks for the link GreenLady.Saw the pic of Bill at opening night. Will have to see what gigs are on ,next time in the area.
Giorgio Gomelsky certainly is a character and he must have some great memorys. We heard some of them in that interview.
I used to go to The Old Station Hotel in the '70's now and then when it was called The Bull 'n Bush pub. Sunday afternoons after football, playing their team at The Athletic Ground if I remember.
Remember the pub was long and narrow and the music was played way down the far end.Didn't realise at the time it was where The Stones played. smiling smiley

Date: August 23, 2014 16:11

Many of us have seen this pic before, but here it is again. Not sure if it's Station Hotel or Athletic Club.

Also a nice link about EelPie Island which is just up the road in Twickenham. Never been on the Island ,but on other side of bridge is Barmy Arms pub which I been to many times including when The Stones played Twickenham Stadium. >grinning smiley<

[www.eelpie.org]

Date: August 23, 2014 16:36

Another recent article I just found on Eelpie Island with some Stones content. Looks like they played there every Wednesday night at one time in 1963.
People are still writing new articles about stuff that happened in the area 50+ years ago. Nice link at end, to short documentary as well. smiling smiley

EelPie Island

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 24, 2014 04:56

crawdaddy
Another recent article I just found on Eelpie Island with some Stones content. Looks like they played there every Wednesday night at one time in 1963.
People are still writing new articles about stuff that happened in the area 50+ years ago. Nice link at end, to short documentary as well. smiling smiley

EelPie Island

Nice read, crawdaddy, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Date: September 22, 2014 15:03

Just seen this recent article by local resident Keith Mulberry.

THE ROLLING STONES IN ROCKIN’ RICHMOND: A SNIPPET ON RICHMOND’S RICH MUSIC HISTORY IN THE 1960s

As many may know, Richmond & Twickenham can boast of a rich music history and famous venues such as the Crawdaddy Club at The Station Hotel, Richmond; The 1961-65 National Jazz & Blues Festivals at the Athletic Ground; and of course the world famous venue on Eel Pie Island… to name but a few!

Also, quite widely known is the Rolling Stones association with the Crawdaddy Club at the Station Hotel (later renamed as The Bull & Bush; Edwards; The Bull, One Kew Road; etc.). The Stones played gigs at The Crawdaddy/Station Hotel from February 1963 - but within just a few months they became so popular that the venue couldn’t cope - and by late June 1963 they were appearing at the relocated Crawdaddy Club at The Athletic Ground.

Possibly less well known is that earlier in 1963 The Rolling Stones played some of their earliest gigs at another Richmond venue - Sandover Hall.
Sandover Hall was in Ormond Road, the narrow road that runs in-between today’s (2014) Nando’s restaurant (formerly the famous L'Auberge café) and the side of the Odeon Cinema. William Sandover was Mayor of Richmond from 1905-1906, and circa 1905 the Richmond Vicarage, formerly Ormond Lodge, was purchased and established as a gymnasium for working men and boys by Mayor Sandover.

The stones played about three gigs at Sandover Hall in January 1963 (on the 5th, 12th & 19th). The 5th & 12th January gigs were without Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts, but with Ricky Fenson on bass and Tony Chapman on drums. The 19th January gig was without Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts, but with Ricky Fenson on bass and Carlo Little on drums. By 25th January Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts were more established in the band. Mysteriously, after the last of their gigs at Sandover Hall, the place burned down!!
By February 1963 the Rolling Stones were and really taking off at The Crawdaddy.

In Ormond Road today there is a name plaque on a garden wall of private housing, Sandover House.

So, a final thought: The Stones easily fill the largest of venues (The O2, Wembley, Twickenham, etc. etc.) - but once played in a small church hall sized venue, Sandover Hall - in Ormond Road, Richmond!! .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-22 15:12 by crawdaddy.

Date: October 21, 2014 23:45

Just seen this great pic with tix stubs and posters from my local Kingston Granada cinema.
Been there at least 20 times for the flicks and live shows ,including Tamla Motown.

Hope I can get the link to work .

This was the show where Stones were way down the bill on February 13th 1964 when I wanted to go ,but homework from school ,and Mums orders came first.

Date: December 16, 2014 21:50

Didn't know where to post this as just came up on my local Richmond music FB page.

Not seen this small article before. Makes it look as if it is Micks' group and not Elmos'. smiling smiley

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: December 16, 2014 22:16

A small article concerning the july 12th concert...?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 16, 2014 22:52

That's how they were billed.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 17, 2014 01:57

Why was the club called The Crawdaddy? (Crawdad or crawdaddy - small freshwater decapod crustacean that resembles a lobster according to The Free Dictionary.
Urban Dictionary: Crawdaddy: A sexual act performed on a male by grabbing the testicles with four fingers and going for the long shot with the middle finger (inserting the middle finger into the anus)).

Date: December 17, 2014 02:25

The Stones: The Definitive Biography, by Philip Norman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 17, 2014 02:39

Thanks Cristiano! Now I know.

Date: December 17, 2014 02:40

thumbs up

Date: February 11, 2015 18:33

Just come across this video of Richmond Athletic Ground, which was home of The Crawdaddy Club after The Station Hotel. Rod The Mod as a backing singer about 11:50 . Lots of famous names that are still around today,especially in The Finale. Adverts are on now and then.

Also a write up of the 1965 Jazz and Blues Festival which the Stones played in 1963 and 1964 at the same venue. There are also separate youtube clips around of Yardbirds and The Who performing. smileys with beer

Richmond Jazz and Blues Festival 1965.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-11 22:35 by crawdaddy.

Date: April 10, 2015 12:12

Just found this clip of Eel Pie Island 1966, just a couple of years after The Stones had their weekly gigs there.

Nothing much looks familiar now on the riverbank and the club on the island.

Bridge is one of the few things still the same and I think is now painted green on a recent visit to The Barmy Arms nearby.

Can't remember Italian being spoken much in Twickenham and Richmond area back then. winking smiley

Could be a sighting of Brian Jones about 2.40 and maybe Andrew Loog Oldham on dance floor maybe.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 10, 2015 12:58

Wow! A great find, Crawdaddy! smileys with beer

Yeah, that guy lurking back there looks damn much like Brian.

- Doxa

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 10, 2015 14:48

crawdaddy
Didn't know where to post this as just came up on my local Richmond music FB page.

Not seen this small article before. Makes it look as if it is Micks' group and not Elmos'. smiling smiley

That is surprising. Always I thought that they were introduced as The Rollin' Stones on their first gigs.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 10, 2015 16:10

Doxa
Wow! A great find, Crawdaddy! smileys with beer

Yeah, that guy lurking back there looks damn much like Brian.

- Doxa

yes great find...you can't miss that haircut.

Date: June 19, 2015 11:48

Great recent video I just found out about, of the great Giorgio Gomelsky.

He certainly is a character. smileys with beer

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 19, 2015 12:07

Great stuff, he really is a character!
Thanks for posting.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50