Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Who still reads Rolling Stone magazine?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 16, 2014 00:12

Title5Take1
I read it for the musical stuff and roll my eyes at the lefty crap. "No one knows if Freddie Mercury caught AIDS from a man or a woman" it said—in so many words—in a recent Queen story. I think an educated guess can be made....

your making the assumption that everyone has an education

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 16, 2014 00:45

I still subscribe, an old habit. I still prefer reading longer pieces from paper versus a tablet or monitor. As for the magazine, I'm pretty much a sceptic and wish they would provide both sides of the story. I really like their online music section, lots of great breaking news and videos.

Posted by: jaggerman ()
Date: August 16, 2014 17:11

I still read it from time to time ,alot of filler if u ask me.

Now MOJO i read religiously

Great mag !

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: August 16, 2014 20:18

I subscribe to it on my Kindle - a couple of bucks a month and it's nice not having to deal with the hard copy. I like having it around to read on the subway or at a bar or on the bowl... it's nothing Earth-shattering anymore but there are still 2-3 articles per issue that interest me - usually the interview, the political piece, and a shorter profile on an album release or something archival.

I've gotta say, the record/live reviews are usually the first thing I gloss over. Back in the '80s/'90s, that was the first thing I'd read.

But ultimately, what is the competition (at least with U.S. magazines)? SPIN sucked for years before finally giving up the ghost, Paste always annoyed me... and as for the UK mags, Mojo seems to be stuck in a rut, Q has been awful for most of the last decade... I suppose I should give Record Collector a whirl.

I get exposed to more new stuff from the A/V Club and VICE's Noisey and read about stuff I'm a fan/geek of on message boards - music mags have been largely marginalized for me.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2014 06:18

Yep checked out the latest edition of RS yesterday....
And nothing's changed ...The photos are still the best part of theeee rag ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 18, 2014 00:29

I have the very first issue of Rolling Stone in plastic, and I still subscribe to it. It has gone down hill dramatically since he 70's & 80's but still a great read. I just object to WHO they put on the cover these days....I just shake my head.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 18, 2014 13:30

i read it

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: August 18, 2014 17:02

I don't know if it was because I bought something at Guitar Center or got some kind of email offer, or possibly because my Mom gave me a subscription to print version of Vanity Fair and the two subscriptions are linked to each other by some type of deal.... I don't know why or how, but Rolling Stone has been mysteriously showing up in my mailbox FREE for about the past three years now....I leave them laying around the house for a month or two, and I will pick through it, and read certain articles, occasionally.

A couple of years ago there was a very informative follow-up article about the Amanda Knox situation in Europe, with some facts I didn't know and some interesting commentary on the case....but if that's all I can think of to recommend it, one good article, from all this time of reading it the last few years....that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Pay for it? I wouldn't dream of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-18 17:03 by Turning To Gold.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: August 18, 2014 19:32

I subscribed to it last year after a long hiatus of even reading the magazine. But I don't think I'll be renewing it. Just not that impressed with it as I once was.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: August 18, 2014 22:52

I still subscribe - but most of the stuff in it is rot. I do like the retro content on the last page - who was on the cover 20 or 30 years ago and what the top 10 songs were.

When they put the Boston bomber on the cover, I ripped it up.

Since I have a teenager in the house, I do like to read about some of the newer music...but it stopped being a serious rock/music mag years ago. I used to live for it when I was a teenager in the 70s. Frankly, I think they sold out when they went to the glossy covers.
smoking smiley

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: August 19, 2014 19:39

I only buy it when the Stone are on the cover and/or in it, or -I'm also a James Bondfan- when there is something related to J.B. in it, like nowadays an Daniel Craig interview, or something like it.
So that basically means one or two issues in 3,4 years...

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: August 27, 2014 00:11

The french version is going well...

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: September 1, 2014 16:18

Some editions I can skip through in 15 minutes, some have good articles and I can take my time reading them. It's a hit or miss affair. I'm looking forward to my new copy that just arrived with Willie on the cover.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home