Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Tom Petty new album Hypnotic Eye
Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 2, 2014 19:43

Any thoughts/reactions? Sounds pretty damn good to me.

Drew

Re: OT: Tom Petty new album Hypnotic Eye
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 2, 2014 20:01

Best thing he's done in real long time. It rocks!smoking smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 2, 2014 20:15

From what I heard, it sounds like an excellent album. I was never a huge Tom Petty fan, so that makes it hard for me to get into something "new" he has, but I've heard a few cuts and I have yet to hear something I don't like yet. Hopefully I get around to listening to it in full eventually.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 2, 2014 20:37

Pretty good on first listen, seeing him play at Red Rocks next month, can't wait.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: August 3, 2014 03:22

I like it!! I like the 3 duets he just did with Eric Clapton on his new album too!!

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: August 3, 2014 05:28

Great album!

If you get the chance, catch Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers on this tour.
They're a great live band. Always give all they got every show. Mike Campbell is an amazing, underrated guitarist.

Tom is a big Rolling Stones fan. He just did an extensive interview on Sirius Radio and said Chicago should put up a statue of the Rolling Stones for reintroducing the Blues to America. Also said Jumpin' Jack Flash is the best single ever. Still turns it up very loud every time he hears it.

Get the Album. See the show. You will not be disappointed.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 3, 2014 06:37

Agree. Campbell is fantastic. A great player.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: August 3, 2014 19:59

I like this album more each time I listen to it. Nothing groundbreaking just good old rock and roll. Many of the songs remind me of songs he has done in the past but that's not a bad thing. I get the same from The Rolling Stones with one song being a distant relative of something done previously.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 3, 2014 20:31

Listening to it now, the title track is scorching. Love that Tom Petty is still out there doing his American rock and roll thing...and the man looks gooood.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 3, 2014 23:29

Not a big Petty fan but this one is really good, guitars, melodies, grit, what else ? Only caveat is that a few songs sound a bit similar at this point, but that will get sorted with time ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 4, 2014 04:52

Like a number of Petty albums, it grows on you the more you listen to it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 4, 2014 05:10

Brstonesfan
Agree. Campbell is fantastic. A great player.

totally agree. Campbell is one of the best.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: August 4, 2014 07:05

I listened only once but I really liked it. Mojo was good too but after the first 7/8 songs it started to get weak in my opinion. This last album seems more 'compact', from the beginning until the end . A nice work, a high class band

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 4, 2014 08:17

Ripper

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 4, 2014 13:29

Got it at the weekend and it's a mighty album. I loved Mojo too but this new one is great if you love loud, classy guitar solos. I got the 5.1 Blu-ray and it sounds superb.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: August 4, 2014 15:54

I like it a lot. But I like pretty much anything TP & the Heartbreakers do and will see them on this tour.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 4, 2014 18:22

Tracks 1, 5, 7 & 9 are my favorites ... for now.

Date: August 4, 2014 20:17

Not a big fan of Campbell, but this album sounds promising.

Usually, I prefer the Byrds, Mellencamp or the Jayhawks to Tom Petty, but I like his two latest albums.

I'm still waiting and begging for Mike Campbell to surprise me, though...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2014 18:28

It's interesting how there are some artists that have been around for a long time that in the past 10 or so years that have had number 1 albums... debuting at #1 on Billboard on top of that (Dylan had one other Billboard #1 album, 1976's DESIRE; another been-around-forever artist to finally get a #1 that I can think of was Jimmy Buffett, who's LICENSE TO CHILL debuted at #1 in 2004).

What is more interesting is I did not know Tom Petty never had a #1 LP before HYPNOTIC EYE. FULL MOON FEVER was huge.

Petty & The Heartbreakers’ Hypnotic Eye arrived atop the Billboard 200, selling 131,000 copies in the week ending Aug. 3, according to Nielsen SoundScan, the best debut sales week for Petty since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991. Also adding to the band’s Artist 100 sum is 4,000 in sales for its 1993 Greatest Hits album which jumps 147-71 on the Billboard 200. With limited airplay options for a classic rock act such as Petty, and a target demo not adept at streaming or downloading tracks, it’s not surprising that nearly all of the group’s Artist 100 points are derived from album sales.

[www.billboard.com]

Date: August 8, 2014 20:47

FMF had to get to number one. It was loaded with hits.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2014 22:25

According to wikipedia it peaked at #3. His Billboard chart history says the same thing.

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: August 9, 2014 08:54

Terribly overrated. Every song sounds the same.

Date: August 9, 2014 09:10

GasLightStreet
According to wikipedia it peaked at #3. His Billboard chart history says the same thing.

probably he was unlucky with the competition...

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: August 9, 2014 16:22

It rocks !!!

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 10, 2014 20:42

BluzDude

Ha! Mine too. I think the album flows very nicely, but these are the strongest tracks IMO. Track 11 might be the only weak spot on an otherwise excellent album.

Drew

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 11, 2014 15:14

I usually download an album before I decide to buy the disc...I ordered mine yesterday, so I guess the answer is...me likey!thumbs upthumbs up

Date: August 11, 2014 18:19

drewmaster
BluzDude

Ha! Mine too. I think the album flows very nicely, but these are the strongest tracks IMO. Track 11 might be the only weak spot on an otherwise excellent album.

Drew
Agreed that these are my favorites as well. I'd also add in Track 6 with Power Drunk which I also thought was really rockin. Solid solid record and happy that I finally found some time to listen to it.

I also didn't think Track 11 was that weak. I was expecting it with its long run time, and while its a bit long and muddling in the middle, and the end 30 seconds which seems relatively unnecessary, it was altogether a good track. Sounds like Petty and I didn't find myself not liking it.

I wonder how the bonus track Playin' Dumb, apparently available on the vinyl, which despite the 50 minute run time of the OP Youtube is all silence after Shadow People.

Date: August 11, 2014 21:19

RollingFreak
I wonder how the bonus track Playin' Dumb, apparently available on the vinyl, which despite the 50 minute run time of the OP Youtube is all silence after Shadow People.

Just like the rest of the album, its great:

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: August 12, 2014 07:05

I guess I am in the minority here. I WANTED to like the album but instead found myself strongly disliking it. I keep wanting to hear genuinely new music but I feel like Hypnotic Eye just comes across as unoriginal. HOWEVER, I will wait a few weeks and revisit it to see if it grows on me!

Current favorites this year...

Date: August 12, 2014 07:49

i like it after 1 listen

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home