Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brian on bass?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 29, 2014 21:26

Here's one: We all know what a great multi-instrumentalist Brian was. But did he ever play bass on a Stones track? It was not unusual for Keith, Taylor, or Ronnie to play bass, but Brian?

Re: Brian on bass?
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: July 29, 2014 21:40

Bill never missed a session back then..

In fact Keith played bass on a track
from TSMR.

But as far as I remember Brian
never did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 21:41 by hot stuff.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2014 21:45

Phelge's book mentions Brian fooling around with Bill's bass when they used to leave their equipment some times at the apartment Mick/Keith/Brian shared. It was intimated that Brian was considering taking up the bass so they could dump Bill and become a quartet, ala the Beatles. There is no indication that anything ever came of it, or that Brian ever had any interest in playing bass.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 29, 2014 22:01

Brian never would have played bass on a Stones record for the simple reason that there was no way of distinguishing himself in this capacity, no way of coloring or decorating a song in a distinctive way as with, for instance, Paint It Black or Lady Jane.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 29, 2014 22:42

24FPS
Phelge's book mentions Brian fooling around with Bill's bass when they used to leave their equipment some times at the apartment Mick/Keith/Brian shared. It was intimated that Brian was considering taking up the bass so they could dump Bill and become a quartet, ala the Beatles. There is no indication that anything ever came of it, or that Brian ever had any interest in playing bass.

Dump Bill and become a quartet, means Bill would take his Bass and amplifier with him and then you have a band without a Bass and Amplifier grinning smiley

Date: July 29, 2014 22:46

LOL...Plus Bill sung back up a lot back then..

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 29, 2014 23:08

stonehearted
Brian never would have played bass on a Stones record for the simple reason that there was no way of distinguishing himself in this capacity, no way of coloring or decorating a song in a distinctive way as with, for instance, Paint It Black or Lady Jane.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt: all of the Stones were equally talented when Brian was with them.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 29, 2014 23:26

Which TSMR track did Keith play bass on?
As far as I know, the first song Bill didn't play on (as a whole band), was Let's Spend The Night Together.

Date: July 30, 2014 00:01

2000 Lights years.
Keith plays bass!

Bill also plays on this song to but on synthesizer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 00:03 by hot stuff.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: July 30, 2014 00:07

NICOS
24FPS

Dump Bill and become a quartet, means Bill would take his Bass and amplifier with him and then you have a band without a Bass and Amplifier grinning smiley

And no cigarettes either!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2014 00:31

hot stuff
LOL...Plus Bill sung back up a lot back then..

oh yes, how could they possibly have filled that gap?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 30, 2014 00:50

This is apparently from the RCA/LA Buttons sessions:

I've also seen a shot (from the Barbara Charone book that came out in the early '80s, I think) of Keith in a studio booth playing a P-Bass. It looks like it's from around the same time (late '66/Buttons) - he's got the moddish haircut and the round, mirrored shades seen here:

Not sure if the latter pic I described was from RCA or Olympic, but it certainly looked like he was laying down a track (unlike the top one, where he could very well be tuning the thing). Does anyone know if "LSTNT" has a P-Bass sound to it?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 30, 2014 03:36

I understand he played bass on a studio version of UMT, Obviously, he couldn't play it live.

grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 30, 2014 03:40

MILKYWAY
I understand he played bass on a studio version of UMT, Obviously, he couldn't play it live.

grinning smiley

you mean in 1981?

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 30, 2014 04:07

treaclefingers
MILKYWAY

grinning smiley

you mean in 1981?

Meaning I don't know what I'm talking about. I'll shut up now.

Date: July 30, 2014 07:08

hot stuff
2000 Lights years.
Keith plays bass!

Must have been Mellotron. Don't think synths were available yet in '67.

Date: July 30, 2014 07:25

<<Don't think synths were available yet in '67.>>

They were--the Doors used one on their second album (Strange Days) recorded that year, and are considered the first in rock to feature the use of one ina studio recording. The Monkees also incorporated one that year. And, according to the Moog Foundation, some obscure band called The Rolling Stones on an album known as Their Satanic Majesties Request: [moogfoundation.org]

Date: July 30, 2014 07:28

stonehearted

They were--the Doors used one on their second album (Strange Days) recorded that year, and are considered the first in rock to feature the use of one ina studio recording. The Monkees also incorporated one that year. And, according to the Moog Foundation, some obscure band called The Rolling Stones on an album known as Their Satanic Majesties Request: [moogfoundation.org]

The Stones beat The Beatles to something?! Beatles didn't use one until 1969 (Abbey Road).

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 30, 2014 08:14

stonehearted

Two Monkees tracks, Daily Nightly and Star Collecter, are the first use of of a synth on a pop/rock record. Those tunes and the Doors' song were recorded at about the same time (in Los Angeles and assisted by Paul Beaver), so ideas were going back and forth, I think. Dolenz got his at the Monterey Pop Festival.
Dolenz played it on Daily Nightly (the whoops and sci-fi sounds), and Beaver played it on Star Collecter (playing it like a regular keyboard).

Brian on Mellotron on 2000 Light Years. Bill on bass.

Date: July 30, 2014 08:27

The Doors are credited because theirs was released first (September 25) and the album by the Monkees came a bit later (November 6). The basis of this is being the first to expose the public to these new sounds in terms of pop/rock. As for exact recording dates of the tracks in question, that I don't know.

Date: July 30, 2014 08:31

stonehearted
The Doors are credited because theirs was released first (September 25) and the album by the Monkees came a bit later (November 6). The basis of this is being the first to expose the public to these new sounds in terms of pop/rock. As for exact recording dates of the tracks in question, that I don't know.

Where did George Harrison's Electronic Sounds fall in this timeline?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 30, 2014 08:33

I believe the first official Stones song Bill doesn't play bass on would be Play With Fire? Brian and Charlie aren't on it either. Phil Spector on zoom bass.

Date: July 30, 2014 08:37

Wonderwall was from 1968 (November). But I don't think that had any synth on it. It had a mellotron and a harmonium, but no Moog synth--also, lots and lots of sitars. At that point, George was really intent on pursuing Indian-flavored music. I don't think the modern synth approach to rock/pop was his thing. In the eighties, he famously commented on how "the new music leaves me shell-shocked".

It was first in one respect, in that it was the first solo album by a Beatle (and the first on the Apple label).

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 30, 2014 08:43

hot stuff
2000 Lights years.
Keith plays bass!

Wikipedia lists Bill as the bass player. Where are you getting the information that Keith played on it? It seems like Bill was around more than any of them at the TSMR sessions.

Date: July 30, 2014 09:05

stonehearted

Beaver's track for Star Collecter was recorded on October 4, 1967. There's no date for when Dolenz recorded his track, but tapes reveal he had the idea in late June of 1967. We're splitting hairs, but I think the Monkees get the thumbs up for using it as new sounds for that time.

Date: July 30, 2014 09:16

stonehearted
Wonderwall was from 1968 (November). But I don't think that had any synth on it. It had a mellotron and a harmonium, but no Moog synth--also, lots and lots of sitars. At that point, George was really intent on pursuing Indian-flavored music. I don't think the modern synth approach to rock/pop was his thing. In the eighties, he famously commented on how "the new music leaves me shell-shocked".

It was first in one respect, in that it was the first solo album by a Beatle (and the first on the Apple label).

Wonderwall is one of my favorite records. I play it a lot. It's certainly better than Lennon's Two Virgins and his other experimental stuff (though Harrison's is music for a film). Interesting movie, too.

Date: July 30, 2014 09:19

71Tele
stonehearted

Where did George Harrison's Electronic Sounds fall in this timeline?

November 1968 in L.A. (when he appeared on the Smothers Brothers Show) and early 1969 (England).

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: July 30, 2014 17:56

tomk
stonehearted

Two Monkees tracks, Daily Nightly and Star Collecter, are the first use of of a synth on a pop/rock record. Those tunes and the Doors' song were recorded at about the same time (in Los Angeles and assisted by Paul Beaver), so ideas were going back and forth, I think. Dolenz got his at the Monterey Pop Festival.
Dolenz played it on Daily Nightly (the whoops and sci-fi sounds), and Beaver played it on Star Collecter (playing it like a regular keyboard).

What a difference a year makes in the sound of the Monkees. I actually like this!

Date: July 30, 2014 19:14

stonehearted

Wonderwall was followed by Electronic Sound, which used synths. George was sued by the guy who set up the synth for him. He claimed he was recorded without his knowledge. Shades of Ry Cooder?

Date: July 30, 2014 19:17

2000 LYFH
tomk
stonehearted

What a difference a year makes in the sound of the Monkees. I actually like this!

This is intereseting because it is basically a straightforward conventional guitar-based track, but with psychedilic lyrics and synth noises thrown on top. Gotta love The Monkees.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home