Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Why weren't "Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk" on albums?
Date: July 29, 2014 16:02

Led Zeppelin :

Hey,Hey,What Can I Do = B-Side only (until 1990 boxed set compilation) : * [www.songfacts.com] *

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 29, 2014 16:18

Thommie
whitem8
One big reason was for many of the English invasion groups their singles came out before the major album. The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, et. al. all felt that it was a rip off for their fans to buy a single, then buy an album that had that single on it, there by two songs are bought twice. The thinking was that the album should be all new material heard as a stand alone. Now there were instances where some single did end up on albums, however, most singles did not.

Yeah, the times they are a-changing, aren't they?
Later the record companies wanted us to buy our vinyl album once again, now on CD. Then again the remastered version, then, then...

then then...SACD, SHM, DVD Audio, Blu Ray Audio, Super Deluxe High Definition FLAC download...

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 29, 2014 16:51

DandelionPowderman
Long John Stoner
Pietro
Marketing, I get it. But I don't recall any Beatles hits never appearing on their albums. I can't think of any other groups from the 1960s who left their greatest hits off albums.

The Hey Jude album consisted entirely of songs that weren't on original issue albums.

1."Can't Buy Me Love" – 2:19
2."I Should Have Known Better" – 2:39
3."Paperback Writer" – 2:14
4."Rain" – 2:58
5."Lady Madonna" – 2:14
6."Revolution" – 3:21

Side two
7."Hey Jude" – 7:05
8."Old Brown Shoe" (George Harrison) – 3:16
9."Don't Let Me Down" – 3:30
10."The Ballad of John and Yoko" – 2:55

Weren't all the songs in bold on original albums??

Nope. All songs on Hey Jude were unavailable on album, except Can't Buy Me Love and I Should Have Known Better, which were only available on the A Hard Days Night US Soundtrack, but released on United Artists Records. The Hey Jude album consisted of tracks not available on a Capitol album and therefore these two tracks appeared on Hey Jude.

Btw, the track selection on Hey Jude is a real headscrather, since the following songs were still un-compiled on a Capitol album and thus was available to include:

Love Me Do (uk single version)

Misery (starline single)

There's a place (starline single)

From me to you (starline single)

She liebt dich (swan single)

I'm down (capitol single)

Across the universe (uk wildlife version)

The inner light (capitol single)

Get back (single version) (capitol single)

Let it be (single version) (capitol single)

You know my name (look up the number) (capitol single)

I can find it logical that they chose not to include Love Me Do in it's single version and the german version of She Loves You. They are curios and not a lot else.

There is also some logic not to include Across The Universe and Get Back, since they were to appear on the Let It Be album some months later.

Since the single Let It Be / You Know My Name was still on the charts, there was no point to include them either.

But why not drop the two A Hard Days Night tracks which everybody had, and include The Inner Light and I'm Down instead? And what about Misery, There's A Place and From Me To You? They would have fitted well on this album. Sometimes, the release politics made no sense.

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: July 29, 2014 17:00

Another note - The Who continued to put out non-album singles well into the 1970s.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 29, 2014 17:22

Jumpin'Jack Flash-It gave The Stones a British Number 1 single and a world-whide hit. Originally, it was intended for release on Beggars Banquet, the next album, but the overwhelming enthusiasm created by the track brought an early single release. The promotional film accompanied the single's release ensured its succes.
UK single:24 May 1968: No1-11 weeks
USA single: 24 May 1968: No 3- 11 weeks

Honky Tonk Women
UK single: 11 July 1969: No 1-17 weeks
USA single: 11 July 1969: No 1-14 weeks

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 29, 2014 18:05

runaway
Jumpin'Jack Flash-It gave The Stones a British Number 1 single and a world-whide hit. Originally, it was intended for release on Beggars Banquet, the next album, but the overwhelming enthusiasm created by the track brought an early single release. The promotional film accompanied the single's release ensured its succes.

Honky Tonk Women

According to billboard Charts in the USA HTW was No 1 for 4 weeks. 14 weeks in the top 100.

Date: July 29, 2014 18:11

More Hot Rocks
runaway

Honky Tonk Women

According to billboard Charts in the USA HTW was No 1 for 4 weeks. 14 weeks in the top 100.

Thanks thumbs up

Posted by: GoinSteady ()
Date: July 29, 2014 18:15

71Tele
As has been said, single used to be artistic statements in themselves - not just a way to market an LP.

Absolutely-the stand alone single/b-side and e.p used to be part of a good band's reportoire-if you had plenty of material it made good sense. All the extra artwork really added to things as well. The Clash being a good example. Also left room on albums for 'album tracks'.

Date: July 29, 2014 19:00

Richards has repeatedly stated that "Country Honk" is how "Honky Tonk Women" was originally written.
I think that HTW was used for a hit-single and Country Honk for the LIB Album. Mick Taylor being involved made the change.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 29, 2014 23:22

Another Billboard trivia fact. HTW knocked out Zager and Evans' In The Year 2525 to take over the 1 spot. HTW was knocked out of the No.1 spot in the USA charts by The Archies' Sugar Sugar after 3 weeks.
JJF could't get passed Mrs. Robinson or This Guy's In Love With You by Herb Alpert to take the No. 1 spot and peaked at 3.

Date: July 30, 2014 03:19

tklawson
Another note - The Who continued to put out non-album singles well into the 1970s.

ok thanks for that, we won't get fooled again!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 30, 2014 05:46

Pietro
... Beggars Banquet would be a masterpiece if you swapped "Jumpin' Jack Flash" for "Jigsaw Puzzle." ...

Jigsaw Puzzle is, on its own, a masterpiece. Far superior a track than JJF, I feel, although obviously JJF was the radio hit.

Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: July 30, 2014 05:55

LeonidP
Pietro
... Beggars Banquet would be a masterpiece if you swapped "Jumpin' Jack Flash" for "Jigsaw Puzzle." ...

Jigsaw Puzzle is, on its own, a masterpiece. Far superior a track than JJF, I feel, although obviously JJF was the radio hit.

Agree heartily that Jigsaw Puzzle is a masterpiece. thumbs up BB would not be what it is without that song. Jumping Jack Flash is a great song but doesn't really fit in to the ambience of Beggar's Banquet IMHO.

Maybe swap "Dear Doctor" for "JJF".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 06:05 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 30, 2014 06:08

LeonidP
Pietro

Guess opinions very very. I think Jizaw Puzzle is one of the worst songs the Stones ever did. Can't believe many people wouldn't think the album would not improve with JJF instead of that song..

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: July 30, 2014 07:30

The question is...if JJF was on BB and HTW was on LIB...what would be the better album?

It's: Street Fighting Man, Sympathy For The Devil, Jumping Jack Flash, Salt Of The Earth, Stray Cat Blues and your favorite acoustic song

Vs:

Gimmie Shelter, Live With Me, Honky Tonk Woman, Midnight Rambler, Monkey Man and You Can't Always Get What You Want,

The Winner: Let It Bleed! and that doesn't include "You Got The Silver"

I don't know why Stones fans put BB in the Top 4...

I think it's Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile and Some Girls hands down.

Pecman

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 30, 2014 12:41

The arrival & subsequent growth of FM radio contributed also the demise of the traditional single. The "underground" stations wanted longer tracks, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 12:42 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 30, 2014 15:55

LeonidP
Pietro

Oh man. What a way to start my day.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 30, 2014 16:51

Like Tele said it.

And it would have been different albums. Not necessarely better - as great as those singles were.
Btw. Beggars had been ready for release since many month (a year?). They fought with Decca about the cover.So time was no reason.

Date: July 30, 2014 17:32

BroomWagon
LeonidP
Pietro

Agree heartily that Jigsaw Puzzle is a masterpiece. thumbs up BB would not be what it is without that song. Jumping Jack Flash is a great song but doesn't really fit in to the ambience of Beggar's Banquet IMHO.

Maybe swap "Dear Doctor" for "JJF".

Why swap anything...why not just wedge it in there? My copy of BB's got enough of a deadspace at the end!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2014 17:43

Remove SFTD and put JJF on...

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: July 30, 2014 21:55

stanlove

Guess opinions very very. I think Jizaw Puzzle is one of the worst songs the Stones ever did. Can't believe many people wouldn't think the album would not improve with JJF instead of that song..

Agreed. "...and the queen is bravely shouting, 'What the hell is going on!'" "And all those grandmas who with their dying breath scream, 'Thanks.'"

I think Jagger was trying to be Dylanesque with the lyrics. Only Dylan can be Dylanesque. All others just sound stupid.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 30, 2014 22:20

GasLightStreet

Controversial! grinning smiley

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 30, 2014 22:34

For better or worse, Mickboy remaster of Beggar's has studio and promo JJF. Personally, I think (studio) JJF as an opener, followed by Sympathy works well.

Date: July 31, 2014 02:00

Deltics
GasLightStreet

They could just shorten it, maybe fade out just as Keith's guitar solo starts?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 31, 2014 02:45

More Hot Rocks
Another Billboard trivia fact. HTW knocked out Zager and Evans' In The Year 2525 to take over the 1 spot. HTW was knocked out of the No.1 spot in the USA charts by The Archies' Sugar Sugar after 3 weeks.
JJF could't get passed Mrs. Robinson or This Guy's In Love With You by Herb Alpert to take the No. 1 spot and peaked at 3.

Jumpin' Jack Flash reached #1 on Cashbox for a week and #2 on Record World.

Date: July 31, 2014 03:06

Pietro
stanlove

Agreed. "...and the queen is bravely shouting, 'What the hell is going on!'" "And all those grandmas who with their dying breath scream, 'Thanks.'"

I think Jagger was trying to be Dylanesque with the lyrics. Only Dylan can be Dylanesque. All others just sound stupid.

Only Dylan can be Dylaneseque? Yes and without Woodie Guthrie, there would be no Bob Dylan, Joan Baez also predates Dylan. Thoroughly disagree.

Date: July 31, 2014 03:21

Despite Dylan's uniqueness, he's still a part of that folk music genre even if he was a leading light...

One helluva song Gordon Lightfoot wrote in "Early Morning Rain", if I didn't know better, I'd think it was Dylan.

...Dylan recorded the Boxer on Self-Portrait... he's got his influences too,

Pete Seeger an influence.

this is too off topic to post videos of these songs.

And that's not counting what Joni Mitchell said but I don't know what to think of that.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: July 31, 2014 16:09

stanlove
Can't believe many people wouldn't think the album would not improve with JJF instead of that song..

I guess you prefer the US versions of "Aftermath" and "Between" The Buttons" to the UK ones then...

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: July 31, 2014 16:24

In relation to JJF it must also be remembered that the Stones were at their lowest point after the drugs busts in 67. "We Love You" was not a strong single and it could be argued their career was at serious risk of stalling. Add in the problems with Brian and the band was in trouble.
To recover an album would not have done the job. JJF was so strong that it gave them the exposure they needed to bounce back and I believe it saved the band.
But it is absolutely true that in the 60s the single was the most important "product" to promote. It changed from Sgt Pepper onwards but only slowly.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2014 17:03

treaclefingers
Deltics
GasLightStreet

They could just shorten it, maybe fade out just as Keith's guitar solo starts?

Maybe if they took out all the woo-woo's...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1966
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home