Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Why weren't "Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk" on albums?
Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: July 28, 2014 20:58

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk Women," arguably the Stones two greatest hits, were never on albums (apart from greatest hits albums, that is). Why is that? JJF would have fit nicely into Beggars Banquet and HTW on Let It Bleed.

Does anybody know why they decided not to put these two songs on albums? It would have helped sell the albums, certainly.

(I know "Country Honk," the Graham Parsons arrangement of "Honky Tonk Women" is on Let it Bleed.)

Re: Why weren't "Jack Flash" and "Honky Tonk" on albums?
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:02

Not the way the music biz worked in the 60s, it was all about the single.
Just like in the 80s and 90s it was all about the CD...and today it's all about the download.

See Hey Jude & Lady Madonna...for more evidence of the way the biz was in the 60s

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:02

Marketing. Now people had to buy the singles *and* the albums.

Date: July 28, 2014 21:08

Marketing, I get it. But I don't recall any Beatles hits never appearing on their albums. I can't think of any other groups from the 1960s who left their greatest hits off albums.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:24

Good question. I always wondered that too.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:34

Pietro
Marketing, I get it. But I don't recall any Beatles hits never appearing on their albums. I can't think of any other groups from the 1960s who left their greatest hits off albums.

"Penny Lane" & "Strawberry Fields Forever" were both left off of Sgt. Pepper because they had been released as a single prior to the album's release (Martin later said that this was a "dreadful mistake"). Later they were included on the "Magical Mystery Tour" soundtrack album.

"All You Need Is Love" was also a stand-alone single which was only later later added to the MMT & Yellow Submarine soundtrack albums.

Only other example I can think of where a single wasn't on one of the band's own albums was Huey Lewis & The News "Power Of Love". It was their first number one song but was on a movie soundtrack as opposed to one of their own albums. Another one just popped in my mind: Pretty sure Aerosmith's "Don't Want To Miss A Thing" falls into this category as well. I'd imagine that there are more than just a few other songs that were part of a movie soundtrack that weren't on an "artist album" as well.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:38

The only reason you'd notice it with JJF and HTW, was that as of TSMR the UK and US releases were the same.

Prior to that the UK releases never featured the single, which the US releases did.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:52

Same reason why most of The Beatles singles weren't on albums. The Who also left many singles off albums. It was the done thing in those days.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:55

There are millions of examples, Oasis's Whatever in 1994 as well.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:59

The Clash - Clash City Rockers, White Man In Hammersmith Palais, Complete Control, Bank Robber although the 1st 3 were included on the US compilation 1 st album.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 29, 2014 00:13

MadMax
But wasn't Whatever a bonus single to their debut album Definately Maybe?
when you bought the album the Whatever single was included?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 29, 2014 00:31

Thommie
MadMax

No. The vinyl version of Definitely Maybe had a bonus track, "Sad Song" that wasn't available elsewhere. "Whatever" was a stand alone single.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: July 29, 2014 01:52

Pietro

Really? We Can Work it Out/Day Tripper, Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, Paperback Writer, Lady Madonna, Hey Jude, Ballad of John and Yoko...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 01:54 by tklawson.

Date: July 29, 2014 03:25

Live and learn. Thanks for the info.

But it's a shame they didn't put those songs on albums. Beggars Banquet would be a masterpiece if you swapped "Jumpin' Jack Flash" for "Jigsaw Puzzle." Likewise Let It Bleed might be the greatest Stones album ever if you swapped "Honky Tonk Woman" for "Country Honk."

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: July 29, 2014 03:37

Hey Jude recorded during the White Album sessions, but released only as a single---

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 29, 2014 04:19

tklawson
Pietro

Really? We Can Work it Out/Day Tripper, Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, Paperback Writer, Lady Madonna, Hey Jude, Ballad of John and Yoko...

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane, originally intended for Sgt. Pepper but left off because the record company wanted a new single release earlier that year, were both included on Magical Mystery Tour, which was the same in both the U.S. and UK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 09:02 by stonehearted.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 29, 2014 04:58

As has been said, single used to be artistic statements in themselves - not just a way to market an LP.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 29, 2014 05:27

Pietro

See my first post...unless of course you thinking of the American compilation named Hey Jude that Capital put out.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 05:33 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: July 29, 2014 06:35

Pietro

The Hey Jude album consisted entirely of songs that weren't on original issue albums.

1."Can't Buy Me Love" – 2:19
2."I Should Have Known Better" – 2:39
3."Paperback Writer" – 2:14
4."Rain" – 2:58
5."Lady Madonna" – 2:14
6."Revolution" – 3:21

Side two
7."Hey Jude" – 7:05
8."Old Brown Shoe" (George Harrison) – 3:16
9."Don't Let Me Down" – 3:30
10."The Ballad of John and Yoko" – 2:55

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 29, 2014 08:43

Pietro
Live and learn. Thanks for the info.

But it's a shame they didn't put those songs on albums. Beggars Banquet would be a masterpiece if you swapped "Jumpin' Jack Flash" for "Jigsaw Puzzle." Likewise Let It Bleed might be the greatest Stones album ever if you swapped "Honky Tonk Woman" for "Country Honk."

There are many people who think BEGGARS BANQUET is a masterpiece already and that LET IT BLEED is already The Stones' greatest record.

I cannot imagine either of those albums w/o "Jigsaw Puzzle" or "Country Honk," but maybe that's just me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 29, 2014 09:08

LongBeachArena72
I cannot imagine either of those albums w/o "Jigsaw Puzzle" or "Country Honk," but maybe that's just me.

Definitely not just you!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 29, 2014 10:29

stonehearted
tklawson
Pietro

Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane, originally intended for Sgt. Pepper but left off because the record company wanted a new single release earlier that year, were both included on Magical Mystery Tour, which was the same in both the U.S. and UK.

Magical Mystery Tour was not the same in the U.S. and the U.K.: It originally wasn't an album in the U.K. It was a 2x7" EP that consisted of the songs that make up side 1 of the U.S. LP (Magical Mystery Tour, Fool on the Hill, Flying, Blue Jay Way, Your Mother Should Know, and I Am the Walrus). Side two of the U.S. LP tacked on five recent songs that had appeared on singles (Hello Goodbye, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields Forever, Baby You're a Rich Man, and All You Need Is Love).

Date: July 29, 2014 10:32

Long John Stoner
Pietro

The Hey Jude album consisted entirely of songs that weren't on original issue albums.

1."Can't Buy Me Love" – 2:19
2."I Should Have Known Better" – 2:39
3."Paperback Writer" – 2:14
4."Rain" – 2:58
5."Lady Madonna" – 2:14
6."Revolution" – 3:21

Side two
7."Hey Jude" – 7:05
8."Old Brown Shoe" (George Harrison) – 3:16
9."Don't Let Me Down" – 3:30
10."The Ballad of John and Yoko" – 2:55

Weren't all the songs in bold on original albums??

Date: July 29, 2014 10:33

ab
stonehearted
tklawson
Pietro

Magical Mystery Tour was not the same in the U.S. and the U.K.: It originally wasn't an album in the U.K. It was a 2x7" EP that consisted of the songs that make up side 1 of the U.S. LP (Magical Mystery Tour, Fool on the Hill, Flying, Blue Jay Way, Your Mother Should Know, and I Am the Walrus). Side two of the U.S. LP tacked on five recent songs that had appeared on singles (Hello Goodbye, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields Forever, Baby You're a Rich Man, and All You Need Is Love).

Yep, the album didn't get an official UK release until 1976.

[www.45cat.com]

[www.45worlds.com]

Date: July 29, 2014 11:05

About the Beatles: none of the songs at the compilations Past Masters vol 1 & 2 were released on any studio album.
Across the Universe though, is a different version than on LET IT be.

Date: July 29, 2014 11:11

Deltics
Thommie
MadMax

No. The vinyl version of Definitely Maybe had a bonus track, "Sad Song" that wasn't available elsewhere. "Whatever" was a stand alone single.

Okay, I got it. But it seems that there were different releases in different countries/continents:
[www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 29, 2014 11:55

Deltics
ab
stonehearted
tklawson
Pietro

Yep, the album didn't get an official UK release until 1976.

[www.45cat.com]

[www.45worlds.com]

Forgot that fact, as there was no recent MMT Capitol reissue--which stopped with Revolver and then skipped to Hey Jude--because after Revolver the U.S. and UK albums were identical, well, since 1976 anyway. smiling smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 29, 2014 13:24

One big reason was for many of the English invasion groups their singles came out before the major album. The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, et. al. all felt that it was a rip off for their fans to buy a single, then buy an album that had that single on it, there by two songs are bought twice. The thinking was that the album should be all new material heard as a stand alone. Now there were instances where some single did end up on albums, however, most singles did not.

Date: July 29, 2014 13:51

whitem8
One big reason was for many of the English invasion groups their singles came out before the major album. The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, et. al. all felt that it was a rip off for their fans to buy a single, then buy an album that had that single on it, there by two songs are bought twice. The thinking was that the album should be all new material heard as a stand alone. Now there were instances where some single did end up on albums, however, most singles did not.

Yeah, the times they are a-changing, aren't they?
Later the record companies wanted us to buy our vinyl album once again, now on CD. Then again the remastered version, then, then...

Date: July 29, 2014 14:34

If you check out the Stones' UK Decca singles and E.P. discography you'll see that, by and large, none of them appeared on albums other than compilations.
Two exceptions are "Little By Little" which was the 'b' side of "Not Fade Away" and featured on the first UK album and "You Can't Always Get What You Want", the 'b' side of "Honky Tonk Women" although in a substantially edited version to the one that appeared on "Let It Bleed".
The USA, of course, was slightly different, where a single album would be stretched into two by decreasing the number of songs on one and making a new one out of the leftovers and adding singles, b sides and EP tracks.
It wasn't until Satanic Majesties that album releases (apart from "Through The Past Darkly" ) were identical on both sides of the pond.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-29 16:11 by Deltics.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home