Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bridges to Babylon on vinyl
Date: July 28, 2014 22:53

VL, Stripped, B2B and ABB are all double albums. Yeah, colored vinyl is ltd. edition.

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: July 29, 2014 14:29

DandelionPowderman
Yeah, colored vinyl is ltd. edition.

In this case, colored vinyl is bootleg.

They were released around two years ago by some bootlegers

Date: July 29, 2014 14:29

Ricky
DandelionPowderman
Yeah, colored vinyl is ltd. edition.

In this case, colored vinyl is bootleg.

They were released around two years ago by some bootlegers

ok, thanks.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 29, 2014 14:32

There's also a picture disc. I assume this is a pirate/bootleg?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 29, 2014 16:14

frankotero
There's also a picture disc. I assume this is a pirate/bootleg?

yes

it's a bit frustrating being an avid collector. On the other hand, the 'education' part of what's real and what's bootleg becomes part of the challenge and fun.

It's too bad they thought the better of releasing a vinyl version of Live Licks, 40 Licks and Don't Stop.

That really breaks the chain of having all official releases on vinyl.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 29, 2014 17:50

Don't Stop is a vinyl 45. The others are pirates. Yes, it's too bad they broke the chain on official vinyl releases. But maybe someday (soon) we'll see them released.

Date: July 29, 2014 20:38

frankotero
Don't Stop is a vinyl 45. The others are pirates. Yes, it's too bad they broke the chain on official vinyl releases. But maybe someday (soon) we'll see them released.

Yes I know the other two are pirates...you're right though that Don't Stop is a vinyl 45...I OWN IT...I totally forgot.

Anyone pick up the Rarities album on vinyl?

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 29, 2014 20:52

treaclefingers

oh yes, bought it in 2005 when it was released. Good quality pressing. Nice tongue labels, black inners and a non foc.

Tom

Date: July 29, 2014 22:24

electricmud
treaclefingers

oh yes, bought it in 2005 when it was released. Good quality pressing. Nice tongue labels, black inners and a non foc.

Tom

I did the same....seemed like it was going to sell in very low numbers so I thought there might be a bit of a collector status to it. I think it's done alright pricewise.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 30, 2014 12:27

DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
treaclefingers
I'm quietly hoping for a boxset of all the LIVE albums, like they did with the Studio albums in 2010.

From Got Live (EP and LP) straight through the 6 download only albums.

That would be a great set.
does anyone here own a vinyl copy of the 1991 Matt Clifford Click Track Obscenity?(which is Flashpoint)
how's the sound there? does it "breathe"?

Flashpoint sounds great. It's Miss You that is the most bitter pill to swallow because of Clifford's "harp". Other than that he's as good as MIA.

The songs Keith starts don't have a pre-set tempo smiling smiley

Flashpoint doesn't breathe as well as it might have on vinyl because it's a bit too long for a single LP and is consequently a bit "groove pinched" and lacking in dynamics. [Squeezing Highwire & Sex Drive onto it didn't help !]
The later trend for releasing vinyl on double LP was a good move and Flashpoint would have benfitted from it.

[The 7" Highwire single does sound nice]

Date: July 30, 2014 12:41

Spud
DandelionPowderman
Nikkei
treaclefingers
I'm quietly hoping for a boxset of all the LIVE albums, like they did with the Studio albums in 2010.

From Got Live (EP and LP) straight through the 6 download only albums.

That would be a great set.
does anyone here own a vinyl copy of the 1991 Matt Clifford Click Track Obscenity?(which is Flashpoint)
how's the sound there? does it "breathe"?

Flashpoint sounds great. It's Miss You that is the most bitter pill to swallow because of Clifford's "harp". Other than that he's as good as MIA.

The songs Keith starts don't have a pre-set tempo smiling smiley

Flashpoint doesn't breathe as well as it might have on vinyl because it's a bit too long for a single LP and is consequently a bit "groove pinched" and lacking in dynamics. [Squeezing Highwire & Sex Drive onto it didn't help !]
The later trend for releasing vinyl on double LP was a good move and Flashpoint would have benfitted from it.

[The 7" Highwire single does sound nice]

I agree, in terms of sonical quality. But there are recording/sound/mixing/production problems with all the live albums the Stones have released, one way or another smiling smiley

PS: 2000 LYFH sounds nice on the HW-single as well. A crime that it wasn't included on Flashpoint instead of Miss You, imo!

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 30, 2014 13:22

DandelionPowderman
I agree, in terms of sonical quality. But there are recording/sound/mixing/production problems with all the live albums the Stones have released, one way or another smiling smiley

Well at least No Security sounds really great on vinyl.

Tom

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 30, 2014 13:40

Flashpoint on vinyl is a nightmare. It also ommited Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen altogether. A bad move. Double vinyl would me more than welcome.

Btw. While Bridges To Babylon on vinyl is okay, it still is strange. They couldn't even make themselves a non-crossfade between Out Of Control and Saint Of Me, which means that Out Of Control fades out on side 2 but at the start of side 3 you can hear the remains of it in the opening notes on Saint Of Me. Odd.

Date: July 30, 2014 13:44

electricmud
DandelionPowderman

Well at least No Security sounds really great on vinyl.

Tom

I'm getting that one any day now thumbs up

Date: July 30, 2014 13:45

Blueranger
Flashpoint on vinyl is a nightmare. It also ommited Rock And A Hard Place and Can't Be Seen altogether. A bad move. Double vinyl would me more than welcome.

Btw. While Bridges To Babylon on vinyl is okay, it still is strange. They couldn't even make themselves a non-crossfade between Out Of Control and Saint Of Me, which means that Out Of Control fades out on side 2 but at the start of side 3 you can hear the remains of it in the opening notes on Saint Of Me. Odd.

I haven't noticed that, Blueranger. Will check.

I don't think Flashpoint sounds like a nightmare. Lovely sound on the acoustic numbers, as well as on SMU, SSS and JJF.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 30, 2014 14:16

It wouldn't be hard to split the tracks on to double vinyl:

Side 1:

"(Intro) Continental Drift" – 0:26
"Start Me Up" – 3:54 (26 November 1989; Death Valley Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina)
"Sad Sad Sad" – 3:33 (19 December 1989; Atlantic City Convention Center; Atlantic City, New Jersey)
"Miss You" – 5:55 (25 November 1989; Gator Bowl; Jacksonville, Florida)
"Rock and a Hard Place" – 4:52 (25 November 1989; Gator Bowl; Jacksonville, Florida)

Side 2:

"Ruby Tuesday" – 3:33 (27 February 1990; Korakuen Dome; Tokyo, Japan)
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" – 7:26 (25 November 1989; Gator Bowl; Jacksonville, Florida)
"Factory Girl" – 2:47 (6 July 1990; Wembley Stadium; London, England)
"Can't Be Seen" – 4:17 (26 November 1989; Death Valley Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina)

Side 3:

"Little Red Rooster" (Willie Dixon) – 5:15 (19 December 1989; Atlantic City Convention Center; Atlantic City, New Jersey)
"Paint It, Black" – 4:02 (13 June 1990; Olympic Stadium; Barcelona Spain)
"Sympathy for the Devil" – 5:35 (26 February 1990; Korakuen Dome; Tokyo, Japan)
"Brown Sugar" – 4:06 (28 July 1990; Stadio Delle Alpi; Turin, Italy)

Side 4:

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" – 5:00 (27 February 1990; Korakuen Dome; Tokyo, Japan)
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" – 6:09 (26 November 1989; Death Valley Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina)
"Highwire" – 4:44
"Sex Drive" – 5:07

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: August 1, 2014 01:55

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:25 by colonial.

Date: August 1, 2014 22:16

Got ABB on vinyl today. This 180 g vinyl is sounding way better than Stripped to my ears. The cold sound of the ABB cd is gone.

Love it! thumbs up

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 1, 2014 22:38

Blueranger

Side 1:

"(Intro) Continental Drift" – 0:26
"Start Me Up" – 3:54 (26 November 1989; Death Valley Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina)
"Sad Sad Sad" – 3:33 (19 December 1989; Atlantic City Convention Center; Atlantic City, New Jersey)
"Miss You" – 5:55 (25 November 1989; Gator Bowl; Jacksonville, Florida)
"Rock and a Hard Place" – 4:52 (25 November 1989; Gator Bowl; Jacksonville, Florida)

Side 2:

"Ruby Tuesday" – 3:33 (27 February 1990; Korakuen Dome; Tokyo, Japan)
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" – 7:26 (25 November 1989; Gator Bowl; Jacksonville, Florida)
"Factory Girl" – 2:47 (6 July 1990; Wembley Stadium; London, England)
"Can't Be Seen" – 4:17 (26 November 1989; Death Valley Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina)

Side 3:

"Little Red Rooster" (Willie Dixon) – 5:15 (19 December 1989; Atlantic City Convention Center; Atlantic City, New Jersey)
"Paint It, Black" – 4:02 (13 June 1990; Olympic Stadium; Barcelona Spain)
"Sympathy for the Devil" – 5:35 (26 February 1990; Korakuen Dome; Tokyo, Japan)
"Brown Sugar" – 4:06 (28 July 1990; Stadio Delle Alpi; Turin, Italy)

Side 4:

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" – 5:00 (27 February 1990; Korakuen Dome; Tokyo, Japan)
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" – 6:09 (26 November 1989; Death Valley Stadium; Clemson, South Carolina)
"Highwire" – 4:44
"Sex Drive" – 5:07

that's exatctly how it was split on a double cassete I bought in the early 90s

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 2, 2014 01:00

franzk
Blueranger

Are you sure? I can't say any country with a release of Flashpoint as a double cassete...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 2, 2014 16:31

Ricky
franzk
Blueranger

Are you sure? I can't say any country with a release of Flashpoint as a double cassete...

Yeah, I had it but it was probably a bootleg release - just front cover artwork and the tracklist.

Date: August 2, 2014 16:55

DandelionPowderman
Got ABB on vinyl today. This 180 g vinyl is sounding way better than Stripped to my ears. The cold sound of the ABB cd is gone.

Love it! thumbs up

Congratulations Dandy...looks like your Christmas bonus from work came early.

Do you have all the albums now on vinyl?

Date: August 2, 2014 19:33

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Love it! thumbs up

Still waiting for VL and NS. I didn't go for the LL bootleg. If it had the original cover and artwork I probably would have bought it smiling smiley

I'm still short on a few solo albums on vinyl, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-02 19:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 2, 2014 19:43

Dandy,
Does ABB really sound that much better, does 4 sides make it flow better like B2B?

Date: August 2, 2014 20:22

Hound Dog
Dandy,
Does ABB really sound that much better, does 4 sides make it flow better like B2B?

Absolutely!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: August 2, 2014 20:39

Crap...now I'm going to have to really consider spending the money on this!!

Date: August 2, 2014 21:04

smiling smiley

Date: August 3, 2014 18:45

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Love it! thumbs up

Still waiting for VL and NS. I didn't go for the LL bootleg. If it had the original cover and artwork I probably would have bought it smiling smiley

I'm still short on a few solo albums on vinyl, though.

I generally don't buy bootlegs. As a 'collector' if it isn't official I don't see the point. You can have the music already in almost any format you want, so when I'm buying vinyl a significant reason for that is because of the collectability.

That makes me a vinyl nerd and I've accepted that. But I have a way cool collection!

Date: August 3, 2014 20:18

smiling smiley

Date: July 28, 2018 01:25

Finally got this yesterday from Sister Ray in Berwick Street. They hadn't had a copy in stock since 2015. As I've been living in England since September, in the meantime I also found No Security and Stripped. I much prefer to buy these rare LPs over the counter, in order to support local businesses. It's more fun as well. But I guess you can only do that in cities like London.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home