Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bridges to Babylon on vinyl
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 27, 2014 00:56

Found a used copy of this on double vinyl for $29 at a record store in Colorado, in perfect condition. My wife and I listened to the entire thing start to finish, very loud and I have stay it rocks on the vinyl format with 4 different sides.

Couldn't believe what this record is going for on Amazon.

Re: Bridges to Babylon on vinyl
Date: July 27, 2014 03:26

That´s great! I got my B2B today, but I paid $80 for a near mint copy.

Been listening to it all day smileys with beer

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: July 27, 2014 07:43

I've always liked that one on vinyl. Sounds great. BtB, VL, and Stripped are all great, and they are all double albums, funnily enough. Most people don't think of them as such in the CD era. A Bigger Bang too (sound sucks, though).

It's strange that Mean Disposition was a CD only track on VL. I don't get the logic in leaving it off the LP. Certainly there was room having 2 records to work with.

Date: July 27, 2014 10:22

SharksWillCry
I've always liked that one on vinyl. Sounds great. BtB, VL, and Stripped are all great, and they are all double albums, funnily enough. Most people don't think of them as such in the CD era. A Bigger Bang too (sound sucks, though).

It's strange that Mean Disposition was a CD only track on VL. I don't get the logic in leaving it off the LP. Certainly there was room having 2 records to work with.

I've ordered all those three albums on vinyl, and they will be in the mail any day now. What's wrong with ABB?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-27 13:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 27, 2014 10:37

SharksWillCry

In the early 90s it was very common practice to add a 'bonus CD track' on albums. Many bands did that (see Nirvana), probably to boost CD sales and to encourage people to buy CDs rather than LPs and MCs. Mean Disposition wasn't included on MC either.

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 27, 2014 12:06

I remember Keith saying in some interview that he wasn't happy that MD was included on CD. He preferred LP version and Thru & Thru being the last song. And I agree. MD is just a filler and T&T suits perfectly at the end.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 27, 2014 15:02

Got a NM copy for $60 from a local vinyl shop. I'd love to have a sealed copy though too.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 27, 2014 16:06

Single Malt
I remember Keith saying in some interview that he wasn't happy that MD was included on CD. He preferred LP version and Thru & Thru being the last song. And I agree. MD is just a filler and T&T suits perfectly at the end.
it makes a nice last song, Keef is right. but it does seem like
Keefs main intention with the sequencing is to have the last
word on records. TITN, HCIS on B2B, Infamy on ABB and even
LMT on Licks. looks like it worked out for him in the end.

edit: OMS on GRRR (pfff)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-27 16:10 by Nikkei.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 27, 2014 18:22

Nikkei
Single Malt
it makes a nice last song, Keef is right. but it does seem like
Keefs main intention with the sequencing is to have the last
word on records. TITN, HCIS on B2B, Infamy on ABB and even
LMT on Licks. looks like it worked out for him in the end.

edit: OMS on GRRR (pfff)

Your logic stands to reason. On Emotional Rescue we have 'All About You' as the closer.

I've got 3 copies of B2B on vinyl, 2 sealed. I was lucky (or freakish) enough to buy a bunch of vinyl on ebay 6-7 years ago before prices really started jumping.

I recall buying Emotional Rescue, Some Girls, Dirty Work etc, all for $10, still sealed. I think those days are gone now though!

Date: July 28, 2014 00:01

DandelionPowderman, where did you order your LPs from? I really want the other new ones on vinyl but they are so pricey on Amazon. My wife and I enjoy the hunt of finding cheap records but I don't think I will ever find these and def not cheap.

So many people on this board want to edit down and shorten the newer albums but in vinyl format as double albums the newer stuff works so much better. Stones were meant to be listened to on vinyl and am really enjoying this album!

Date: July 28, 2014 00:11

On the web I use Discogs or Musicstack.com.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:37

Listening to the newer albums on vinyl gives a different listening experience, indeed! thumbs up

Date: July 28, 2014 02:28

treaclefingers
I was lucky (or freakish) enough to buy a bunch of vinyl on ebay 6-7 years ago before prices really started jumping.

I recall buying Emotional Rescue, Some Girls, Dirty Work etc, all for $10, still sealed. I think those days are gone now though!
you could try another country's ebay. the shipping cost might
be higher, but you could still work out a worthwile deal.
DandelionPowderman
or just do what he says.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:26

franzk
In the early 90s it was very common practice to add a 'bonus CD track' on albums. Many bands did that (see Nirvana), probably to boost CD sales and to encourage people to buy CDs rather than LPs and MCs. Mean Disposition wasn't included on MC either.

I still don't follow, because we're talking 1994, and LPs were extremely hard to come by by then. I had to special order the thing. They probably sell more now.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 28, 2014 12:42

DandelionPowderman
Listening to the newer albums on vinyl gives a different listening experience, indeed! thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 28, 2014 13:39

SharksWillCry
franzk

I still don't follow, because we're talking 1994, and LPs were extremely hard to come by by then. I had to special order the thing. They probably sell more now.

But cassetes were still popular, at least in Europe.

Date: July 28, 2014 16:10

Nikkei
treaclefingers
I was lucky (or freakish) enough to buy a bunch of vinyl on ebay 6-7 years ago before prices really started jumping.

you could try another country's ebay. the shipping cost might
be higher, but you could still work out a worthwile deal.
DandelionPowderman
or just do what he says.

I frequently did that, between UK, US, Canada and Germany...but yeah, shipping prices have gotten pretty bad as well of late.

Date: July 28, 2014 16:47

A good idea is to identify the good sellers, and by that reduce shipping costs - avoiding purchasing many albums from different sellers.

There are sellers that are Taylor-made for our wishlists out there smiling smiley

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: July 28, 2014 17:44

I think all those later albums on vinyl would do quite well with a re-press! Starting with Steel Wheels going forward!

Count me as another person in the long list who would love to give those records a second try, on vinyl, but find them too pricey and too hard to find. Would also love an easily available, affordable version of Live Licks, No Security, RnR Circus, etc, on vinyl, too! The live archive series would be STELLAR on vinyl, and not very expensive to produce....but asking us to fork out $600 for Brussells Affair on vinyl is just absurd.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 28, 2014 19:07

Turning To Gold
I think all those later albums on vinyl would do quite well with a re-press! Starting with Steel Wheels going forward!

Count me as another person in the long list who would love to give those records a second try, on vinyl, but find them too pricey and too hard to find. Would also love an easily available, affordable version of Live Licks, No Security, RnR Circus, etc, on vinyl, too! The live archive series would be STELLAR on vinyl, and not very expensive to produce....but asking us to fork out $600 for Brussells Affair on vinyl is just absurd.

thumbs up

Nothing wrong with a bit of wishful thinking grinning smiley

Date: July 28, 2014 19:16

Spud
Turning To Gold

thumbs up

Nothing wrong with a bit of wishful thinking grinning smiley

I'm quietly hoping for a boxset of all the LIVE albums, like they did with the Studio albums in 2010.

From Got Live (EP and LP) straight through the 6 download only albums.

That would be a great set.

Date: July 28, 2014 20:02

treaclefingers
I'm quietly hoping for a boxset of all the LIVE albums, like they did with the Studio albums in 2010.

does anyone here own a vinyl copy of the 1991 Matt Clifford Click Track Obscenity?(also known as Flashpoint)
how's the sound there? does it "breathe"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-28 20:03 by Nikkei.

Date: July 28, 2014 20:06

Nikkei
treaclefingers

does anyone here own a vinyl copy of the 1991 Matt Clifford Click Track Obscenity?(which is Flashpoint)
how's the sound there? does it "breathe"?

Flashpoint sounds great. It's Miss You that is the most bitter pill to swallow because of Clifford's "harp". Other than that he's as good as MIA.

The songs Keith starts don't have a pre-set tempo smiling smiley

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 28, 2014 20:37

DandelionPowderman
Flashpoint sounds great. It's Miss You that is the most bitter pill to swallow because of Clifford's "harp". Other than that he's as good as MIA.

And the very very most bitter pill is Clifford`s harp on Just Wanna Make Love To You ( Highwire maxi vinyl)...

And VL on vinyl sounds just fat (with a decent system of course). Gave it a listen again.

Tom

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 28, 2014 20:39

Never enjoyed this album,,,way overprouduced.

Date: July 28, 2014 21:08

I got Stripped on vinyl today. So far I'm not that impressed with the sound. Will give it time...

Posted by: Erhard51 ()
Date: July 28, 2014 21:24

I bought my BtB LP 1997 in NYC Virgin Megastore Time Square 2 days after the show in New Jersey Giants Stadium and one hour before we drived to the airport to fly home to Germany.

Date: July 28, 2014 21:35

DandelionPowderman
I got Stripped on vinyl today. So far I'm not that impressed with the sound. Will give it time...

I recall that being the 'priciest' of the latter day vinyls...did you find that to be the case?

Date: July 28, 2014 21:39

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

I recall that being the 'priciest' of the latter day vinyls...did you find that to be the case?

Yeah, but only appr $5 more than B2B..

EDIT: Actually, it was the other way around smiling smiley

This Stripped-copy is NOT near mint, though. Will have a talk with the seller..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-28 21:42 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 28, 2014 21:55

Stripped is a double album as well right? I recall Voodoo Lounge having red vinyl but the ones I see online aren't, maybe limited ones were.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2405
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home