Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T: Pure POP! Is FUN best since ABBA?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2014 20:21

OK, sometimes pop music is maligned, mainly because it is BAD pop music, and when pop music goes bad, it is really bad.

I'd consider ABBA probably the top pop band ever, taking over from the Beatles in the 70's.

My question is the band FUN the best pop band since ABBA, and is there anyone better?

And finally, what is the best Stones 'pop' song?

I'm thinking generally these two get the nod for the Stones:

Re: O/T: Pure POP! Is FUN best since ABBA?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 26, 2014 23:19

And there was a lot more before and after

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 27, 2014 02:51

"I'm Free" for the Stones. Luv that era. I like Miley Cyrus on a pop level. If you get beyond the hype the girl has some talent.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: July 27, 2014 03:04

Dandelion is a great Stones pop song. Citadel (the chorus at least) and Yesterday's Papers. For latter day Stones I'd say Mixed Emotions and Moon Is Up.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 27, 2014 03:16

Love the Poppin' Stones. They just turned it on and went from blues enthusiasts to pop craftsmen, then turned it off again (more or less). Mick especially has always had good pop instincts, though when he tries too hard in that direction the results aren't always as pleasing as they were in "65-'67.

Date: July 27, 2014 05:13

71Tele
Love the Poppin' Stones. They just turned it on and went from blues enthusiasts to pop craftsmen, then turned it off again (more or less). Mick especially has always had good pop instincts, though when he tries too hard in that direction the results aren't always as pleasing as they were in "65-'67.

thumbs up

Date: July 27, 2014 18:24

71Tele

I think you're right and that's what set them apart from everyone else, save the Beatles in the 60s. They just seemed to have such depth in terms of creativity and versatility.

ANY comments on the band FUN? Any takers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-27 18:31 by treaclefingers.

Date: July 28, 2014 11:31

Don't know a lot about FUN. The few songs I've heard have been ok. I tried to go see them last year at Bumbershoot buy got shut out.

Date: July 28, 2014 19:24

crholmstrom
Don't know a lot about FUN. The few songs I've heard have been ok. I tried to go see them last year at Bumbershoot buy got shut out.

An interesting look here:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Something I learned was that one of their singles featuring Janelle Monae, "We Are Young", is one of the biggest selling singles of all time:

Date: July 29, 2014 11:04

treaclefingers
crholmstrom
Don't know a lot about FUN. The few songs I've heard have been ok. I tried to go see them last year at Bumbershoot but got shut out.

An interesting look here:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Something I learned was that one of their singles featuring Janelle Monae, "We Are Young", is one of the biggest selling singles of all time:

I really like Janelle Monae.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 29, 2014 11:34

The best pop album I've heard in years is the new Jenny Lewis. It just reminds me of classic pop that could have come at any time in the last 30 years.

Date: July 30, 2014 17:56

Silver Dagger
The best pop album I've heard in years is the new Jenny Lewis. It just reminds me of classic pop that could have come at any time in the last 30 years.

Never heard that before, kind of 'country pop'...where did you first come across it?

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 30, 2014 18:53

My point all along - Beatleswere pop. Thank you

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 30, 2014 21:31

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-30 22:25 by swiss.

Date: July 30, 2014 21:42

alhavu1
My point all along - Beatleswere pop. Thank you

ah, er, you're welcome?

We did say that the Stones had a number of 'fab' pop songs too...I hope you're able to hang around for the listening party we've scheduled for later this afternoon.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 30, 2014 21:59

Listening party? What's that?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 31, 2014 00:23

I don't know how I missed this thread. I love Fun. Some Nights has a great, almost traditional/folkishy sound to it. Like it could have been sung in some saloon in the 1900s.
I also love the guy's voice and delivery. They do a great acoustic version of this song..

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 31, 2014 00:46

good thread. stonespopwise i'd suggest Yesterday's Papers or perhaps
Ride on Baby. Dandelion is too special to be considered pop imo

Date: July 31, 2014 01:22

Let's Spend the Night Together, Out of Time, Under My Thumb, Ruby Tuesday...

Date: July 31, 2014 01:59

Interesting that the only Stones offered as 'pop' generally was created in 1966 and 67.

Surely they've had some later material one could consider 'pop'.

Is "Miss You's" disco/soul a contender? If it is, then Emotional Rescue could also be considered.

Hang Fire has to be considered pop.

Anybody Seen My Baby I think.

Streets of Love for sure, sappy , "straight to the top of the Italian charts" pop.

Date: July 31, 2014 07:57

treaclefingers
Interesting that the only Stones offered as 'pop' generally was created in 1966 and 67.

Is "Miss You's" disco/soul a contender? If it is, then Emotional Rescue could also be considered.

Streets of Love for sure, sappy , "straight to the top of the Italian charts" pop.

Miss You was the first song I thought of, but decided it was too funky and dirty to be considered a 'pop' song. But yes it is a great pop song, so is RR.

Date: July 31, 2014 18:06

stupidguy2
treaclefingers

Miss You was the first song I thought of, but decided it was too funky and dirty to be considered a 'pop' song. But yes it is a great pop song, so is RR.

Just based on the fact that it was a number one single (their last one at that), it was 'popular' which is the technical definition, however we've moved beyond that to describe 'pop' as something that is highly melodic and probably youth oriented but appreciated by different groups of people.

I think Miss You is probably a pop song, but with a bit of grit as you say.

OK, now what is RR? I'm sure I should know but I'm only on my first coffee.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 31, 2014 23:35

....meep meep

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 1, 2014 00:14

Miss You is pure disco-Music to my ears...and very good Disco-Music also....

2 1 2 0

Date: August 1, 2014 05:15

...I don't like ABBA or FUN nor do I have a strong dislike towards them... I'm here just because of all the capital letters...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1765
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home