Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tom Petty: Rolling Stones Were 'My Punk Music'
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 18, 2014 06:32

By Jon Blistein of Rolling Stone, 17 July 2014

Tom Petty called the Rolling Stones "my punk music" during an interview with CBC, crediting the British rockers with convincing him — and thousands of other aspiring American musicians at the time — that they could make rock and roll music. "They were grittier [than the Beatles]; it was rawer," Petty recalled. "They were playing blues in this really energetic kind of raw way, but it wasn't complicated. There wasn't a lot of beautiful harmony involved."

Petty touched on the Stones while speaking about his early musical influences and how attainable they made playing in a rock and roll band seem.

Full article at: [www.rollingstone.com]

Re: Tom Petty: Rolling Stones Were 'My Punk Music'
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 18, 2014 11:01

They are still my punk music.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 18, 2014 17:51

Love The Stones. I hate punk music.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 18, 2014 17:59

I've seen the Heartbreakers 7 times spread out over 30 years and TP ALWAYS delivers a great show!!!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 18, 2014 18:53

stonehearted

Tom Petty called the Rolling Stones "my punk music" during an interview with CBC, crediting the British rockers with convincing him — and thousands of other aspiring American musicians at the time — that they could make rock and roll music. "They were grittier [than the Beatles]; it was rawer," Petty recalled. "They were playing blues in this really energetic kind of raw way, but it wasn't complicated. There wasn't a lot of beautiful harmony involved."

Petty touched on the Stones while speaking about his early musical influences and how attainable they made playing in a rock and roll band seem.

Another one who sees that the Stones were so much better than the Beatles. And that the Beatles played soft stuff

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: July 18, 2014 20:49

alhavu1
stonehearted

Another one who sees that the Stones were so much better than the Beatles. And that the Beatles played soft stuff

Hardly.

Tom Petty: The Beatles On Ed Sullivan "Changed Everything"

I was 13, and already somewhat of a music fan. This was the great moment in my life, really, that changed everything. I had been a fan up to that point. But this was the thing that made me want to play music. You saw that it could be done. There could be a self-contained unit that wrote, recorded and sang songs. And it looked like they were having an awful lot of fun doing it.

I watched it with my little brother. My mom and dad were there, but they weren't interested in it. They laughed at it and left the room. But my brother and me, both of us, we just flipped out. We thought it was the greatest thing ever.

It's very hard for people to understand how monolithic it was, looking at it today. But it was absolutely earthshaking. These weren't days when you had rock and roll on television very frequently at all. And [the Beatles] were so ready for it. They're so professional, and they have their act so down. Their presentation is beyond compare. It's amazing, when you watch it now, how aware they are of where the cameras are, and what to do. And their songs were just fantastic, and so original. They were the right people at the right time at the right spot with the right songs.

Culturally, it changed everything in America, and probably the world. The influence on every part of our lives was huge, from social issues to fashion issues to music issues. From that point on, the Beatles were the North Star for me and my generation. And we're very blessed to have had them.

Before them, there were a lot of singers, like Elvis. But it was really great to see a band. I had seen bands around town before, but I never saw one that really did everything, that was a vocal group and an instrumental and songwriting group. The idea of writing songs had never occurred to me before them. I knew that they wrote their songs. I had the little single, "I Want To Hold Your Hand"/"I Saw Her Standing There," before I saw them, with that great photo of them on the front in the grey collarless jackets. "Lennon/McCartney" was prominent under each title, so I knew that they wrote the songs. And I said, "Hey, this can be done. You just need four guys who can play their instruments. And if we do this, we can have a great time."

Really, within weeks of that show, you began to hear the sounds of garage bands on the weekends leaking through the neighborhood — of kids out in the garage playing. And it became my mission to find an electric guitar, and to meet friends who could play with me. And that happened rather organically. So many people were doing it.

I didn't really know what harmony was, but I loved the sound their voices made. I would learn these things from trial and error situations with my friends playing. We eventually figured out how to make that sound, and what a harmony was.

Back then, everyone didn't have a guitar. Not like now, where anyplace you go, there's a guitar. It was a different world then. Fender sold themselves to CBS that year because the demand [for] guitars just overwhelmed them.

If you talk to any musician my age, I think we'd all tell you — especially the American ones — that night had a profound effect on the rest of [our] lives. It did have a great profound effect on my life, and I thank them for that. I still think the Beatles [made] the best music ever, and I'm sure I'll go to my grave thinking the same thing.

There will never be another moment like it, I don't think, in music. I don't think you could have another moment like that, because of the innocence of the audience. That innocence doesn't exist anymore. It was just a really great time to be alive, to be a teenager, and to experience that.

It should be celebrated, and I'm glad there's so much attention being given to it. I think that everyone in America with an electric guitar should all hit an open E chord at 8 o'clock on February 9. I'm gonna do it.

[www.grammy.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 19, 2014 00:55

alhavu1
stonehearted

Really? where does he say that? In fact he loves The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and appreciates them both for different things. Petty was best buddies with George Harrison, playing in The Traveling Wilburys. In fact the Heartbreakers original drummer Stan Lynch was/is a huge Stones fan and in interviews with him and Petty one of the main reasons he left the Heartbreakers was they were going more toward a Beatle sound, which you can clearly hear on Wildflowers and Highway Companion a strong Beatles sound and influence (especially since Highway Companion was produced by Jeff Lynn! An admitted Beatles freak.
See this is the problem with Beatles vs. Stones, it is possible to love both of them for different reasons! The Stones for their beautiful blues grit, and The Beatles for their beautiful melodic rock. Both fantastic!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 19, 2014 02:19

Jah Paul
alhavu1
stonehearted

Hardly.

Tom Petty: The Beatles On Ed Sullivan "Changed Everything"

I was 13, and already somewhat of a music fan. This was the great moment in my life, really, that changed everything. I had been a fan up to that point. But this was the thing that made me want to play music. You saw that it could be done. There could be a self-contained unit that wrote, recorded and sang songs. And it looked like they were having an awful lot of fun doing it.

I watched it with my little brother. My mom and dad were there, but they weren't interested in it. They laughed at it and left the room. But my brother and me, both of us, we just flipped out. We thought it was the greatest thing ever.

It's very hard for people to understand how monolithic it was, looking at it today. But it was absolutely earthshaking. These weren't days when you had rock and roll on television very frequently at all. And [the Beatles] were so ready for it. They're so professional, and they have their act so down. Their presentation is beyond compare. It's amazing, when you watch it now, how aware they are of where the cameras are, and what to do. And their songs were just fantastic, and so original. They were the right people at the right time at the right spot with the right songs.

Culturally, it changed everything in America, and probably the world. The influence on every part of our lives was huge, from social issues to fashion issues to music issues. From that point on, the Beatles were the North Star for me and my generation. And we're very blessed to have had them.

Before them, there were a lot of singers, like Elvis. But it was really great to see a band. I had seen bands around town before, but I never saw one that really did everything, that was a vocal group and an instrumental and songwriting group. The idea of writing songs had never occurred to me before them. I knew that they wrote their songs. I had the little single, "I Want To Hold Your Hand"/"I Saw Her Standing There," before I saw them, with that great photo of them on the front in the grey collarless jackets. "Lennon/McCartney" was prominent under each title, so I knew that they wrote the songs. And I said, "Hey, this can be done. You just need four guys who can play their instruments. And if we do this, we can have a great time."

Really, within weeks of that show, you began to hear the sounds of garage bands on the weekends leaking through the neighborhood — of kids out in the garage playing. And it became my mission to find an electric guitar, and to meet friends who could play with me. And that happened rather organically. So many people were doing it.

I didn't really know what harmony was, but I loved the sound their voices made. I would learn these things from trial and error situations with my friends playing. We eventually figured out how to make that sound, and what a harmony was.

Back then, everyone didn't have a guitar. Not like now, where anyplace you go, there's a guitar. It was a different world then. Fender sold themselves to CBS that year because the demand [for] guitars just overwhelmed them.

If you talk to any musician my age, I think we'd all tell you — especially the American ones — that night had a profound effect on the rest of [our] lives. It did have a great profound effect on my life, and I thank them for that. I still think the Beatles [made] the best music ever, and I'm sure I'll go to my grave thinking the same thing.

There will never be another moment like it, I don't think, in music. I don't think you could have another moment like that, because of the innocence of the audience. That innocence doesn't exist anymore. It was just a really great time to be alive, to be a teenager, and to experience that.

It should be celebrated, and I'm glad there's so much attention being given to it. I think that everyone in America with an electric guitar should all hit an open E chord at 8 o'clock on February 9. I'm gonna do it.

[www.grammy.com]

kudos to your overwhelming b*tch-slap.

Date: July 19, 2014 02:32

Yes, indeed treacle! Very well done indeed.

Date: July 19, 2014 04:13

You can also hear a lot of Byrds influence in Tom Petty's sound, but you don't see any irate Stones fans putting the Byrds down for playing "soft" and melodic music.

Date: July 19, 2014 05:01

Petty does a fantastic version of Six Days on the Road and So You Want Be a Rock n' Roll Star.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 19, 2014 05:10

I'm so sick and tired of people here putting the Beatles down. They were a great band and what Petty said in that article was they were genius even in 1964 and what they had going on seemed unattainable. I saw nothing to suggest that he did not like them. People who say the Beatles suck are ignorant. If you don't like them say they are not for you but don't say they suck and are fluff. Every modern musician owes them a debt of gratitude.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 19, 2014 09:24

whitem8
Petty does a fantastic version of Six Days on the Road and So You Want Be a Rock n' Roll Star.
He also does a mean Off The Hook.

Date: July 19, 2014 16:45

Interesting Green Lady! I am a big Petty fan and have never heard his version of Off the Hook. Where is it located?

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 19, 2014 16:49

Surprised tp never plays with the stones

Date: July 20, 2014 01:32

whitem8
Yes, indeed treacle! Very well done indeed.
It is not nice to "gang up" on
people. Please!

Date: July 20, 2014 01:34

Interestingly, Tom Petty also appeared on One More Shot--in 1996, with Carl Perkins.

Audio at: [www.myfreemp3.eu]

You don't have to download it to hear it. Just close the pop-up page that appears and click on the play arrow to the left of the song title.

Date: July 21, 2014 00:28

Tom Petty's version of Cry To Me with the Heartbreakers.

Posted by: LouisianaSwamp ()
Date: July 21, 2014 00:39

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 22, 2014 05:57

RockinJive
Love The Stones. I hate punk music.

I think you miss the point. Punk music really is a term to denote a change in musical style, deviating from the norm, etc. He is saying that the Stones were his 'punk' i.e. that the Beatles were more of the in thing, and that the rebels that wanted a more rad style approach went w/ the Stones. As he says, the Stones were rawer in sound, thus making them more of a garage type sound that is used to classify the sound of many punk bands.

To say you hate punk is also saying you hate that bands in the 70s, such as Sex Pistols and the Clash, that took a chance to do something different, play with emotion/energy, drive and spirit. It was not about being great musicians but having a love of music and passing off that energy to the audience. So to each his own, but to just dismiss it is really you missing out, and never knowing what it was you missed out on.

Of course, maybe you do get the point, and just simply hate punk, so I'll shut up now.

Date: July 22, 2014 18:39

Plus that means he hates Some Girls.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 22, 2014 19:30

For some reason, Tom Petty is one of the few classic rock artists you will hardly every see a live performance on Palladia.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 22, 2014 20:56

I saw Tom Petty many years ago when he was touring with Bob Dylan. I would love to see him again.

Great photo of him here:

[www.mensjournal.com]

Date: July 22, 2014 21:20

latebloomer
I saw Tom Petty many years ago when he was touring with Bob Dylan. I would love to see him again.

I've seen Petty about 10 times including the Dylan tour. Never have been disappointed with Petty's performance.

Dylan sounded awful (and I am real easy to please, liking about 95% of the shows I see). The thing is, walking out of the venue, all these Dylan fanatics were saying how great Dylan was, I turned around to my wife and asked if all these people went to the same show as us? I mean he was absolutely awful!

Date: July 22, 2014 21:21

Same ting happened to me at the Beacon. Merle Haggard opened and was great, Dylan sucked and was incoherent and fans were saying "how cool was that"?

Huh???

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 22, 2014 21:29

BluzDude
latebloomer

I've seen Petty about 10 times including the Dylan tour. Never have been disappointed with Petty's performance.

Dylan sounded awful (and I am real easy to please, liking about 95% of the shows I see). The thing is, walking out of the venue, all these Dylan fanatics were saying how great Dylan was, I turned around to my wife and asked if all these people went to the same show as us? I mean he was absolutely awful!

I honestly don't remember BluzDude...it was at RFK stadium on an ungodly hot day. The Grateful Dead played as well. I do remember it went on forever and they finally sprayed the crowd with hoses to cool everyone off. That's one of the reasons I want to see him again, preferably somewhere inside with air conditioning and when I'm not such a wreck. grinning smiley

Date: July 22, 2014 21:36

latebloomer
BluzDude
latebloomer

I honestly don't remember BluzDude...it was at RFK stadium on an ungodly hot day. The Grateful Dead played as well. I do remember it went on forever and they finally sprayed the crowd with hoses to cool everyone off. That's one of the reasons I want to see him again, preferably somewhere inside with air conditioning and when I'm not such a wreck. grinning smiley

East coast dates throughout September....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1970
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home