Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Slightly OT: South America - Travel, Accommodations, Food, Safety
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 26, 2014 13:18

dcba
treaclefingers

Where do you carry your money then, in your hand?

Booo! You have nylon pouches that you hide inside your clothes under your armpit... Very discreet and works fine. When you need to take a bit of local cash from the pouch just head to the loo. smoking smiley

I insist on carrying a wallet... with only a tiny bit of money in it. If you get mugged at gun point you have to have sth to give to your attacker. That's what wallets are for. Just leave only 10$ in it. winking smiley

[www.amazon.com]
This is one of the money belts I have. I carry my passport/license/cc/money in it. Lays nice and flat across my stomach, under my shirt(s). Works perfectly.

[www.llbean.com]
I also have one of these. Fold your money, etc and put into the zipper pocket. Works like a charm.

Then I carry a small amount of money in my wallet. Usually a bunch of ones with a 20 at both ends. So if I get mugged. The mugger thinks they are making out.

I also carry various amounts in different pockets. Usually 10 bucks or so in each. So when I buy stuff on the street, I'm not pulling out my wallet.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 26, 2014 15:41

Jeez...Ming and all the rest of you, be careful. I've been mugged once and that's enough for me. I'm going to watch the tour from the safety of my computer screen.

Date: July 26, 2014 16:12

No, you gotta try and see a concert Latebloomer. Don't let this thread deter you from going. I'm willing to bet this thread makes S.A. seem a lot worse than what it really is.

Safety first though. You have to travel to travel another day.

If you don't go, email me if you see any concert shirts.

Date: July 26, 2014 16:22

My Lonely Planet South America guide book mentions Air Passes. Anyone ever use one? I haven't researched them beyond the guide book, but I know some have time restrictions, etc.

Examples listed are:
Gol Mercosul Airpass
Lan South American Airpass
One World Alliance Visit South America Airpass
South American Pass
TAM South America Airpass

Again, anyone have experience with an Air Pass?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2014 16:58

dcba
treaclefingers

Where do you carry your money then, in your hand?

Booo! You have nylon pouches that you hide inside your clothes under your armpit... Very discreet and works fine. When you need to take a bit of local cash from the pouch just head to the loo. smoking smiley

I insist on carrying a wallet... with only a tiny bit of money in it. If you get mugged at gun point you have to have sth to give to your attacker. That's what wallets are for. Just leave only 10$ in it. winking smiley

Hey man, don't boo me!

While I like your mug-avoidance tactics, I will note that after you say don't carry a wallet, you say that you INSIST on carrying a wallet.

DUDE, which is it?! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 26, 2014 17:28

If not flying directly bring a cabin bag with all necessities as my luggage was misplaced between Amsterdam and Lima for about a week so I had to buy some extra stuff. Made the holiday more interestingcool smiley

Date: July 26, 2014 17:31

desertblues68
If not flying directly bring a cabin bag with all necessities as my luggage was misplaced between Amsterdam and Lima for about a week so I had to buy some extra staff. Made the holiday more interestingcool smiley

What did the extra staff do for you...buy you the stuff you were missing, toiletries etc.?

Date: July 26, 2014 17:38

Writing on my phone with a small screen I think I need glassescool smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 26, 2014 18:20

treaclefingers
I will note that after you say don't carry a wallet, you say that you INSIST on carrying a wallet.

DUDE, which is it?! >grinning smiley<

grinning smiley You need two : the smelly one (under your armpit) and the decoy in your trousers.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 26, 2014 18:31

When I went to Brazil, I was visiting a friend from Sao Paulo, and it never occurred to me that all this scary stuff might happen (it didn't, but maybe because I was with her?). I didn't get any shots, either. This is now beginning to feel like a potential vacation in a war zone.confused smiley

Just out of interest, do people from other parts of the world get shots when they visit the USA or Europe?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 26, 2014 18:55

Being with someone else is the key Aquamarine, it's much safer to walk around a strange city if you travel in pairs. Especially for a lone woman, which is frustrating but true. Some cities are always full of people, like Manhattan, so I've rarely felt nervous alone there. Others, like Atlanta and parts of DC, I've done it, but I walk fast and try to stay on the main streets. That's one of the reasons I try to stay at a hotel close to the venue. Even then, I felt nervous walking in Newark after the Stones concert and the hotel was just a few blocks away. It always depends on what area of a city you are in.

Ming - thank you for the t shirt offer, I may take you up on it. I've gotten loads of compliments on the Vienna T, and I must say, ordering from the vendor MingSubu is much more reliable than from the Stones website. I got my tee shirt promptly and it was in great condition! Still waiting on the Paris T from bravado. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-26 21:59 by latebloomer.

Date: July 26, 2014 20:07

Aquamarine
When I went to Brazil, I was visiting a friend from Sao Paulo, and it never occurred to me that all this scary stuff might happen (it didn't, but maybe because I was with her?). I didn't get any shots, either. This is now beginning to feel like a potential vacation in a war zone.confused smiley

Just out of interest, do people from other parts of the world get shots when they visit the USA or Europe?

No shots needed for my Europe trip for the tour. We did a family vacation to Mexico when I was very little. I don't remember anyone getting any vaccinations.

Seems like it depends on who you talk to, about vaccinations. Some get them, some don't. I think I'm going to play it safe and get them. I already have my Hep vacs. Part of me wants to do some travelling outside of the major cities. I dunno, so much to see and do.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 26, 2014 20:29

Aquamarine

Right Aquamarine,this thread has drifted into the paranoia and insecurity zone. As BV stated the concerts are in developed area's and simple street smarts is enough.
Way overboard with the shots imo, and i have been everywhere in SA, 16 trips to be exact.
Let's drink to the millions of visitors who had a great time in SA.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 26, 2014 21:57

Well, I do have my heart set on Buenos Aires, so . .

I think in Brazil it was being with a local that made the difference, but very true, latebloomer, that just being with another person is key, and that applies pretty much anywhere.

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: July 26, 2014 22:11

Well I would probably go for Peru or Costa Rica if possible. Nothing to do with street smarts just vacation wise & a great rock n roll evening. I'm hoping to make at least one show if it comes to fruition

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 27, 2014 06:15

MKjan
Aquamarine

Right Aquamarine, this thread has drifted into the paranoia and insecurity zone. As BV stated the concerts are in developed area's and simple street smarts is enough.
Way overboard with the shots imo, and i have been everywhere in SA, 16 trips to be exact.

You will understand my following words MKjan: gracias por tus inteligentes palabras y las de antes.
My highest respect for you "amigo"!

Date: July 27, 2014 06:47

Quique-stone
MKjan
Aquamarine

Right Aquamarine, this thread has drifted into the paranoia and insecurity zone. As BV stated the concerts are in developed area's and simple street smarts is enough.

You will understand my following words MKjan: gracias por tus inteligentes palabras y las de antes.

Gracias Quique-stone. Me encanta América del Sur!!!

Date: July 27, 2014 10:30

MKjan
Quique-stone
MKjan
Aquamarine

Gracias Quique-stone. Me encanta América del Sur!!!

smileys with beer + thumbs up

Date: July 27, 2014 15:11

Air Pass, from my above post, anyone have experince with anyone of them?

I took Salsa lessons years ago, any other dances worth knowing?

Foods, what are some local dishes that visitors must try? Ones that are common to the cities that might be getting a concert.

Machu Picchu, anyone here ever travel to there? Seems from Lima that you would get a plane to Cuzco. Then trains and buses. I doubt I'd hike it unless I had company.

Date: July 27, 2014 15:28

I have been to Machu Pichu. An absolute wonder, I was almost crying as I had dreamt of going there since I was 7. We took a train from Cuczo where we had driven from Lima which took about 8 days stopping at several sights. Anyway the train ride is magnificent and takes you to Agua Caliente a service town where you can get the bus to Machu. The Inca trail takes about 3 days and needs to be booked well in advance through a travel agent as a guide and porters are compulsory and numbers of maximum people on the trail are established. A passport is required to buy your ticket for entry to Machu which can be purchase in Agua or in advance. Enjoy it is one of the most beautiful places I have seenhot smiley

Date: July 27, 2014 15:35

desertblues68
I have been to Machu Pichu. An absolute wonder, I was almost crying as I had dreamt of going there since I was 7. We took a train from Cuczo where we had driven from Lima which took about 8 days stopping at several sights. Anyway the train ride is magnificent and takes you to Agua Caliente a service town where you can get the bus to Machu. The Inca trail takes about 3 days and needs to be booked well in advance through a travel agent as a guide and porters are compulsory and numbers of maximum people on the trail are established. A passport is required to buy your ticket for entry to Machu which can be purchase in Agua or in advance. Enjoy it is one of the most beautiful places I have seenhot smiley

Cool and thanks for sharing!

Date: July 27, 2014 23:38

MKjan
Aquamarine

Right Aquamarine,this thread has drifted into the paranoia and insecurity zone. As BV stated the concerts are in developed area's and simple street smarts is enough.

perhaps just don't drink the water in that toast...

Date: July 28, 2014 00:48

treaclefingers
MKjan
Aquamarine

Sorry but it's not funny at all!

Date: July 28, 2014 00:51

MingSubu
Air Pass, from my above post, anyone have experince with anyone of them?

I took Salsa lessons years ago, any other dances worth knowing?

Foods, what are some local dishes that visitors must try? Ones that are common to the cities that might be getting a concert.

Machu Picchu, anyone here ever travel to there? Seems from Lima that you would get a plane to Cuzco. Then trains and buses. I doubt I'd hike it unless I had company.

In Argentina and Uruguay you must try the "asado" if you like meat, you won't get it any better on any other part of the world.
And you can learn and hear some tango and camdombe music too.

Date: July 28, 2014 00:53

Concerning Machu Pichu, well desertblues68 have said it all!
I never went to Peru but it is also one of my dream trips...

Date: July 28, 2014 01:53

treaclefingers
MKjan
Aquamarine

Never got sick from drinking tap water in SA.
Back in the US, enjoy the fracking water coming soon to neighborhoods everywhere,
courtesy of politicians and vacuous corporate elites.

Date: July 28, 2014 16:11

Quique-stone
treaclefingers
MKjan
Aquamarine

Sorry but it's not funny at all!

OK, that hurts.

Date: July 28, 2014 16:24

Ok, so now this tour is in Rumoursville. We are getting there!!!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 29, 2014 17:12

Gotta be extra careful down there!

Date: July 29, 2014 21:00

potus43
Gotta be extra careful down there!

Just street smarts. Now, if you're going to Chicago or Philly or Memphis,or
Miami or Detroit, or Baltimore, then you should be extra careful.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home