Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Slightly OT: South America - Travel, Accommodations, Food, Safety
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 13, 2014 02:48

MingSubu
3. Immunization shots, what do I need? Coming from the U.S. if that makes a difference.

I highly recommend you talk with your local health authorities and not rely on the opinions of some good willing folks on an internet forum.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 13, 2014 03:04

Sound advice from latebloomer and Koen. After spending much time in parts African, I have seen more than enough evidence to convince me that immunization and other health precautions are not things to be taken lightly.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 13, 2014 04:35

Koen
MingSubu
3. Immunization shots, what do I need? Coming from the U.S. if that makes a difference.

I highly recommend you talk with your local health authorities and not rely on the opinions of some good willing folks on an internet forum.

No problem - I went to Peru last December and all was well. However, be careful driving-- As a matter of fact it's easier to simply catch a cab. One or two dollars can take you good distances in S.America. However, getting back to your point I recommend the use of condomsspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 13, 2014 04:43

Here's a complete list made by the World Health Organization. [www.who.int]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 13, 2014 05:09

I have traveled throughout Central and South America and lived in Venezuela for two years. I would get a Hep A and B, (I think it is called Vorax), it is good for ten years. I would get a typhoid, Tetanus, and adult polio booster. You should be set. Travel with a good bug blocker, dengue fever is throughout the region and not fun (I have gotten it twice). Bottled water for sure everywhere. Avoid raw veggies, NO SALADS! Avoid ice cubes as well.
Safety is a definite concern, especially in Caracas, Brazil (Rio), parts of Quito in Ecuador, Colombia has gotten much safer and is stunningly beautiful. But be very aware of where FARC is operating. Bogota should be fine. Be very careful of pick pockets.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 13, 2014 06:06

Been to SA many times. Just normal shots,nothing extra. In Brazil, need to be a little more careful, basic street smarts and don't wander into bad area's.
Argentina Uruguay and Chile all quite safe…..just petty crime like pick pockets.
Again, basic street smarts. I'd be more concerned with trying to cross the street than about violent crime. Bad driving manners. Bottled water as a habit but I
have had tap water too, never a problem.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 13, 2014 07:32

Yowza!!! Thanks for all the info/posts so far!!! Keep 'em coming.

I have a doctor's appointment this week. I'm going to discuss what immunization shots that I'll need.

whitem8, how bad did your cases of dengue fever get? Were you using a bug blocker at the time?

From a quick read on Wiki, long sleeves, pants and an insect repellent(DEET being the most effective). Not 100% effective, but helps.

Date: July 13, 2014 07:43

Aquamarine
I don't know about the other countries, but if going to Brazil from the US you need a visa--you have to plan this ahead a bit, because you have to go get it in person. I can't remember how much it costs, because luckily I discovered in time that I could enter Brazil (the most WONDERFUL country, btw! smiling smiley ) on my British passport, one advantage of being a dual citizen.

I'll be researching this with regard to other countries if there's a tour, as I'd really love to go to Buenos Aires! Also Peru.

Thank you for the tip!!!

Found this site. Hopefully the info is correct and helps others.
[www.projectvisa.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-13 07:45 by MingSubu.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 13, 2014 09:19

After a quick read, looks like you can now get a tourist visa for Brazil by mail, yay!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 13, 2014 17:27

MingSubu
Yowza!!! Thanks for all the info/posts so far!!! Keep 'em coming.

I have a doctor's appointment this week. I'm going to discuss what immunization shots that I'll need.

whitem8, how bad did your cases of dengue fever get? Were you using a bug blocker at the time?

From a quick read on Wiki, long sleeves, pants and an insect repellent(DEET being the most effective). Not 100% effective, but helps.
Well the first time I got it was when I was in the Peace Corps in the early 90s and I thought I was going to die, in fact I wished I would die! It was horrendous. I was hospitalized for a week and I felt sick for a little over a month. The second time I got it was when I was living in Caracas. I was very sick but not near as bad as the first time. I didn't use bug repellant, I do now!

Date: July 14, 2014 02:11

latebloomer
Ming, the CDC has an easy to navigate site that gives country specific recommendations for what vaccines you need. I would follow through with whatever is recommended...better to be safe than sorry, as they say. The last thing you want when you are far from home is to get sick.

[wwwnc.cdc.gov]

Latebloomer, thanks for the link!!! It is a very easy navigable and everyone should check it out.

whitem8, thanks for sharing your experiences with dengue fever. Sounds nasty.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 14, 2014 05:46

Koen
MingSubu

excellent advice.
Also, depending on your country of origin, will may be required to have immunisation certificates for you to re-enter your country after visiting SA.
Definately Yellow Fever needs to be done...and this takes a while to get into your system.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:00

Eleanor Rigby
Koen
MingSubu

excellent advice.
Also, depending on your country of origin, will may be required to have immunisation certificates for you to re-enter your country after visiting SA.
Definately Yellow Fever needs to be done...and this takes a while to get into your system.

Thanks for the info on the certificates for re-entry.

Also in an earlier post of mine. I'm seeing my PCP/GP this week and I'll discuss my travel plans with him. Then go from there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 06:09 by MingSubu.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:02

yep..maybe I over dramatized the re-entry thing.
You can still re-enter the country, but you may need to wait a little while at the airport.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:10

Again, thank you Latebloomer.

[wwwnc.cdc.gov]

According to the CDC website, for places like Brazil, Peru, Argentina. They are listing:

All Travelers
Routine vaccines (measles, mumps, rubella, etc)
Most Travelers
Hep A
Typhoid
Some Travelers
Hep B
Malaria
Rabies
Yellow Fever

But like I said, all of this will be discussed with my PCP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 06:13 by MingSubu.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:18

Eleanor Rigby, you said that Yellow Fever needs to be done. Is this a requirement for re-entry into the US?

I haven't done any research, besides the CDC website and haven't spoken to my doctor yet.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:21

MingSubu
Eleanor Rigby, you said that Yellow Fever needs to be done. Is this a requirement for re-entry into the US?

I haven't done any research, besides the CDC website and haven't spoken to my doctor yet.

not sure about the US, but Yellow fever is something you might want to vaccinate yourself against....I'd rather be vaccinated than being at risk !

NOTE: as I said, you will be able to re-enter your country, just might be a hassle for you....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 06:23 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:25

Eleanor Rigby
MingSubu

not sure about the US, but Yellow fever is something you might want to vaccinate yourself against....I'd rather be vaccinated than being a risk !

I agree.

Just how you posted that it definitely needs to be done, that maybe it was a requirement.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 06:39 by MingSubu.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 14, 2014 06:31

DeanGoodman
Nate
drbryant
Brazil has become a very dangerous place for tourists. All public places, even the airport, you have to know what you are doing. Security may be good during the World Cup, but it is difficult for me to recommend going to a concert in São Paulo or Rio unless you plan very well and in advance. Preferable to know someone locally.

This is my concern about going to South America

Nate

I've been down to Brazil several times a year for the past 8 or so years, with frequent excursions throughout the continent (Paraguay is my offbeat fave). And before that to Colombia during wartime. Never a problem. This is the Stones at their spiritual home, and a pilgrimage is essentially obligatory. Don't take your travel advice from the British tabloids.

(My only caveat would be Venezuela.)

That's wonderful that you have seen so much of South America without incident. But, I'm not taking advice from British tabloids. My wife is Brazilian. I have relatives in both Rio and Sao Paulo, and my wife and daughters spend every summer in Sao Paulo and Londrina. I've made the 30 hour flight from Tokyo a number of times myself.

I am not saying don't go - I just want people to understand that it's more dangerous than in the past. It is NOT the same as any major city in the US, and people should be careful, just as the Brazilians are. I don't want to be like a tabloid and mention examples and statistics - but one interesting tidbit. My brother-in-law was an executive with a US company, and the company's insurer insisted on (i) a car equipped with an armored body and bulletproof windows and (ii) different drivers every 2-3 months, as a condition to issuing a key man life insurance policy.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:38

MingSubu
Eleanor Rigby
MingSubu

not sure about the US, but Yellow fever is something you might want to vaccinate yourself against....I'd rather be vaccinated than being a risk !

I agree.

Just how you posted that it needs to be done, that maybe it was a definite requirement.

yep..apologies for that..

Date: July 14, 2014 06:40

All good. smileys with beer

No apologies necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 06:41 by MingSubu.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:46

drbryant
DeanGoodman
Nate
drbryant
Brazil has become a very dangerous place for tourists. All public places, even the airport, you have to know what you are doing. Security may be good during the World Cup, but it is difficult for me to recommend going to a concert in São Paulo or Rio unless you plan very well and in advance. Preferable to know someone locally.

Nate

I've been down to Brazil several times a year for the past 8 or so years, with frequent excursions throughout the continent (Paraguay is my offbeat fave). And before that to Colombia during wartime. Never a problem. This is the Stones at their spiritual home, and a pilgrimage is essentially obligatory. Don't take your travel advice from the British tabloids.

That's wonderful that you have seen so much of South America without incident. But, I'm not taking advice from British tabloids. My wife is Brazilian. I have relatives in both Rio and Sao Paulo, and my wife and daughters spend every summer in Sao Paulo and Londrina. I've made the 30 hour flight from Tokyo a number of times myself.

I am not saying don't go - I just want people to understand that it's more dangerous than in the past. It is NOT the same as any major city in the US, and people should be careful, just as the Brazilians are. I don't want to be like a tabloid and mention examples and statistics - but one interesting tidbit. My brother-in-law was an executive with a US company, and the company's insurer insisted on (i) a car equipped with an armored body and bulletproof windows and (ii) different drivers every 2-3 months, as a condition to issuing a key man life insurance policy.

Definitely go to South America….lots of heart and soul and fun, and Stones Central.
I do think you have to be a little careful in certain parts of Brazil. I have never
had a problem but I'm well travelled and SA is a place to bring your street smarts,
and know places to avoid. You'll have a great time there.

Date: July 14, 2014 06:55

drbryant
DeanGoodman
Nate
drbryant

Nate

To anyone, but mostly the locals. What are some precautious, besides the normal ones for travel, for a white*, US citizen, backpackin' bum with a couple Stones' tickets travelling in some of S.A.'s major cites?

*The reason for stating white is that I'll stand out from the locals. Unlike my travelling thru the US/Canada/Europe where I blend in. Nothing racist intended. Just that I'll likely be seen as a tourist.

I'm travelling to S.A. regardless, if the tour happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-14 06:58 by MingSubu.

Date: July 16, 2014 12:42

[wikitravel.org]

Maybe some useful info for S.A. travellers.

So far I've read wikitravel for my recent NYC, Rt 66/PCH/US, NOLA, TO, and European trips and always found something useful. So, I think it is worth a read. Just click the country's link and go from there.

Date: July 16, 2014 12:49

Reciprocity Fees, anyone aware of this?

I was reading the wikitravel for Argentina. While you don't need a visa, they are stating you have to pay a reciprocity fee to enter. $160 for US citizens and can re-enter for up to ten years. Will have to check about the other countries.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 16, 2014 13:27

The Rolling Stones perform in big cities. You don't need to sleep under a tree or to traverse the bush to get to a show. So basically going to a show in Argentina or Brazil or Peru is pretty much the same as going to NYC or London. If you fly in and out for one show then no worries, but if yo stay a week or more then you need to do some more planning.

You do of course need to take care of the medical part, i.e. vaccine for any local diseases and issues. Before every tour I go to my local travel vaccine office and get all the stuff I need. Pretty well covered these days, but I always have Dukoral (cholera vaccine) for Asia, Africa and South America, and I bring Imodium Comp with me just in case, also Ibux and Paracet, you never know.

Never drink the tap water, bottled water only, and never have any raw vegetables, no ice cubes in the drinks, don't buy street food. Imagine they wash with water, the same water they wash with all day many places incuding knifes, plates, meat and stuff. Imagine worst case not best case. They say more than 50% of all on travel have had to change travel plans because of illness.

For most places on travel don't dress fancy. No watch no jewelry no nice cloths. No iphone no camera. They are a poster saying I have money and please rob me next street. Dress like the poor ones on the street. Stash away cash in your shoe or other places. After a tour I do always find cash in strage places because I try to have many backup places. One time at a show in BA I got pick pocked and I had to borrow from a friend after the show to get home (a long walk from River Plate to downtown).

Have a safe travel!

Bjornulf

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 16, 2014 18:11

I we have the luck of having the Stones in Montevideo , Uruguay ,for the first time, i can tell you is a very good place to see them. Quite safe, no problems with any disease, you can drink water from the tap, etc. Very similar to Spain, Italy...
Great beaches, meat (asado) and football.
Montevideo , a nice city, 20 minutes flight from Buenos Aires, our BIG brother.
If any of you are planning to come, just contact me, i will help.

I know there is a STRONG possibility of the Stones coming down here.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 16, 2014 18:48

Chris Fountain
Koen
MingSubu

No problem - I went to Peru last December and all was well. However, be careful driving-- As a matter of fact it's easier to simply catch a cab. One or two dollars can take you good distances in S.America. However, getting back to your point I recommend the use of condomsspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

.........and wear socks.

Date: July 16, 2014 21:16

Yes, you have to pay the 160 dollar fee to enter Argentina…no way getting around it. They do this because the US made it so expensive for Argentines.
Taxi from EZE airport in BsAs to the city center about 350 pesos….about 35-40 US dollars depending on the exchange rate and exact destination address.
Get your taxi at a booth in the terminal after you clear customs, not out on the street.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: July 16, 2014 22:18

Cristiano, si tocan en Mvd, venis seguro , no? Donde vivis?

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home