Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Slightly OT: South America - Travel, Accommodations, Food, Safety
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 12, 2014 16:41

In preparation that a South America/Latin America tour* happens maybe we can share information in this thread. I'm hoping this turns out like my travelling Europe thread. Thanks to all who posted in that one!!! A lot of help and some great tips.

Like the title states; travelling, accommodations, food and safety and anything else you fellow iorrians can think of.

I know very little about S.A./L.A. so I have a lot of research to do. And how I travel, I like to spend the most time with my feet on the ground and taking in as much as I can. Get a feel/taste of the land. I backpacked/train'ed it thru Europe and had a blast. I'd love to kind of do the same for this tour* too.

A couple of questions that I have. Remember, I haven't researched really anythign so far, so please bare with me.

1. I love trains!!! How are the train systems? Reliable, safe? Or should I just fly and hop city to city?
2. Is there a rail pass available, something like the Eurail Pass for Europe?
3. Immunization shots, what do I need? Coming from the U.S. if that makes a difference.
4. Languages? I'm guessing mainly Spanish and Portugues? How fluent should one be? I'm thinking of registering for a Spanish class at my local community college during the fall. Good idea, or not? I'm very shy, but when I travel I like engaging with the locals. You know like finding places to eat, stay, etc.
5. I'm guessing stick with bottled water? Atleast that is what I've always heard for Mexico. Does that ring true for the rest of S.A./L.A.?

I'll have a million more questions as time passes. If anyone else does to, please feel free to post them here.

A pre-thank you for those who read, helped and interact with this thread.

*Only a rumor at this point in time.

Re: Slightly OT: South America - Travel, Accommodations, Food, Safety
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:02

Great idea Ming.

I know nothing about South America either but I plan on going as long as it's safe.

Nate cool smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:09

Only been to Peru stunning country. If you have spare time visit as much as you can. In regards to safety just use common sense.Unfortunately I will not be able to attend any gigs outside Europe, but enjoy!cool smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:13

should be on-topic soon smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:29

MingSubu

1. I love trains!!! How are the train systems? Reliable, safe? Or should I just fly and hop city to city?

There's no trains (with the exception of a train line between Bolivia, Colombia and Peru, I think), so if you want to travel from one country to another or, let's say it, between Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires you will need to fly.

MingSubu
3. Immunization shots, what do I need? Coming from the U.S. if that makes a difference.

I'm not sure about this, but I think in Argentina and some other countries you will need to immunizate against certain diseases. I will check this out later and post here.

MingSubu
4. Languages? I'm guessing mainly Spanish and Portugues? How fluent should one be? I'm thinking of registering for a Spanish class at my local community college during the fall. Good idea, or not? I'm very shy, but when I travel I like engaging with the locals. You know like finding places to eat, stay, etc.

Portuguese is spoken only in Brazil, but Spanish is well understood here.

MingSubu
5. I'm guessing stick with bottled water? Atleast that is what I've always heard for Mexico. Does that ring true for the rest of S.A./L.A.?

Not exactly, but I prefer bottled water, always.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 17:36 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 12, 2014 17:43

Good post. Request sealed bottled water, no gas, gas, gas.

Date: July 12, 2014 17:56

For Peru I had hepatitis A and Thypoid plus the usual booster of tetanus polio and something else I believe pneumonia my GP recommended.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 12, 2014 19:23

Brazil has become a very dangerous place for tourists. All public places, even the airport, you have to know what you are doing. Security may be good during the World Cup, but it is difficult for me to recommend going to a concert in São Paulo or Rio unless you plan very well and in advance. Preferable to know someone locally.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: July 12, 2014 20:53

MingSubu

Nothing beyond what you should already have - Hep. A & B, tetanus, etc. The biggest threat is not crime, but inflation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 21:24 by DeanGoodman.

Date: July 12, 2014 21:04

drbryant
Brazil has become a very dangerous place for tourists. All public places, even the airport, you have to know what you are doing. Security may be good during the World Cup, but it is difficult for me to recommend going to a concert in São Paulo or Rio unless you plan very well and in advance. Preferable to know someone locally.

This is my concern about going to South America

Nate

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:07

It's soooo nice to read you and others are so interested in visiting us here to see the Stones! I guess and hope it will be wonderful and unforgettable for all of you!

Just a few quick answers:

Forget about trains! At least for long distances! Or for moving from one country to another. As Cristiano said above you got to take a flight.
It's rumoured that the Buenos Aires shows will be actually in La Plata (around 70 Kms away), this short trip from BA to La Plata can be done by train but it is not the best one you experience. You have a bus alternative!

Cristiano has already answered you, but it's not big deal! I guess nothing much different from what you need for Europe.

Portuguese is only usefu in Brazil. Studying Spanish it's a good idea and will help you. Not anyone on the streets speaks English but almost anyone will try to help you and make you feel comfortable and happy.

In Argentina and Uruguay you can drink water from the taps! It's really safe! I do it and my family including my little daughter do. I guess you will find the most of the prices cheap, so buying drinks or bottled water won't be hard for you. And I guess you will enjoy our cousine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 21:15 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:28

I am so glad this thread has started already.

I'm gonna be going to South America, and so looking forward to seeing the Stones there,in their favourite place, along with London to play in. winking smiley

Also meeting up again with Cristiano, since the time we first met in Zurich.

South America is gonna be great. >grinning smiley<

Date: July 12, 2014 21:33

Nate
drbryant

Nate

Actually, this can happen in almost every big city, not only in South America. You always need to take care when you're in a strange city or country, though I know South America can be seen as a dangerous place.

What I can assure you is that with these rumoured SA concerts, certainly a lot of tourists (among with people from this board) will surely meet in South America, and to me it will be a pleasure to be one of the locals to welcome all of you (although I don't live near Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo - actually, I'm living almost at the border with Uruguay smiling smiley). As soon as this SA tour be confirmed, my plan is to attend every concert possible, like some fellows here did in Europe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 21:36 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: July 12, 2014 21:34

Hello Crawdaddy I think I met you in the queue for the plane back from Madrid to the UK.

Have you been to South America before?

Some friends of mine and myself are wanting to go but my concern is how safe is it down there.

Nate

Date: July 12, 2014 21:37

Damn wish I could be there, one month from Berlin and I already cannot wait to see the boys again. In Hyde Park waiting for Neil Young after a stunning set from the Nationalsmileys with beer

Date: July 12, 2014 21:39

desertblues68
Damn wish I could be there, one month from Berlin and I already cannot wait to see the boys again. In Hyde Park waiting for Neil Young after a stunning set from the Nationalscool smiley

My ex-girlfriend is there, too. I'm so envious of her. It will be a great concert, have a great time in Hyde Park, desertblues68. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 21:41 by Cristiano Radtke.

Date: July 12, 2014 21:42

Thanks Cristiano have a great weekendsmileys with beer

Date: July 12, 2014 21:47

Nate
drbryant

Nate

I've been down to Brazil several times a year for the past 8 or so years, with frequent excursions throughout the continent (Paraguay is my offbeat fave). And before that to Colombia during wartime. Never a problem. This is the Stones at their spiritual home, and a pilgrimage is essentially obligatory. Don't take your travel advice from the British tabloids.

(My only caveat would be Venezuela.)

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 12, 2014 22:02

DeanGoodman
Nate
drbryant

Nate

I've been down to Brazil several times a year for the past 8 or so years, with frequent excursions throughout the continent (Paraguay is my offbeat fave). And before that to Colombia during wartime. Never a problem. This is the Stones at their spiritual home, and a pilgrimage is essentially obligatory. Don't take your travel advice from the British tabloids.

(My only caveat would be Venezuela.)

Check the Dept. of State travel info and take a chance.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: July 12, 2014 22:34

Is a really funny post. Make it sound like they are going to play in the deep jungle or some remote planet. The cities they will play are world capitals and other than Montevideo and Buenos Aires, all other potential cities are far apart, so yes plane is better even if there were trains.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 12, 2014 22:37

Nate
Hello Crawdaddy I think I met you in the queue for the plane back from Madrid to the UK.

Have you been to South America before?

Some friends of mine and myself are wanting to go but my concern is how safe is it down there.

Nate

Hi again Nate. I tried the following days after we met at Madrid airport to remember your IORR name,and post a message on here, and knew it started with N.

So many other fans on IORR, starting with N, so not sure which one.

Never been to South America,so it's all new to me ,but looking forward to it so much.
It's like anywhere you haven't been to before, just be vigilant ,very careful,and get to know some local Stones fans if possible.
Hope to see you there. smileys with beer

Date: July 12, 2014 22:44

crawdaddy

Never been to South America,so it's all new to me ,but looking forward to it so much.

Hope you and more fellows from IORR can come to South America. It will be a pleasure to welcome all of you and to meet you again, crawdaddy. smileys with beer

Date: July 12, 2014 23:06

I would love to come to South America to see the countries,meet the people and watch the Rolling Stones.

When I talk about safety concerns about South America I don't mean to appear rude to South American people it's just that I have never been there.

I am sure that some of the stories we hear are over exaggerated and I know there are a few places in London I would not want to be alone in at night but I would not say to anyone don't come to London.

I am sure if the South American tour happens then the people on here who have experience of travelling in that part of the world will be able to offer advice.

Thanks
Nate

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 12, 2014 23:50

I don't know about the other countries, but if going to Brazil from the US you need a visa--you have to plan this ahead a bit, because you have to go get it in person. I can't remember how much it costs, because luckily I discovered in time that I could enter Brazil (the most WONDERFUL country, btw! smiling smiley ) on my British passport, one advantage of being a dual citizen.

I'll be researching this with regard to other countries if there's a tour, as I'd really love to go to Buenos Aires! Also Peru.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: July 13, 2014 00:23

Cristiano Radtke
crawdaddy

Hope you and more fellows from IORR can come to South America. It will be a pleasure to welcome all of you and to meet you again, crawdaddy. smileys with beer

Yeahhhh, that's the spirit friend!
I'm a Stones fan in Buenos Aires, Argentina and would like to meet any of you, including you Cristiano! Btw you became a "gaucho" living in the South of Brazil near the Uruguayan frontier. Btw, I'm drinking a mate using "Canarias", my fav yerba mate right now!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 13, 2014 00:40

DeanGoodman
MingSubu

Hep. A & B, tetanus, etc.

Hep B is like AIDS, the one you catch with unprotected sex. Are you that stupid...? No! So imho it's not necessary.

Tetanus will only infct you if you're old enough (80+) to have massive blood circulation problems as the the tetanus toxin only survives in anaerobic conditions. In other words the oxygen in your blood stream will destroy the tetanus toxin. So if you're reasonably healthy with a reasonably working blood system tetanus is not a problem.

I'd rather take meds against diarrhea and headaches : altitude might induce an awful "bang bang" in yer head. And get your teeth checked before you leave. A tooth pain in SA might be hell.
As a rule, stay away from any dogs or cats (even cute babies) : they might have rabies.

But a city like Buenos Aires is no more hazardous than Detroit winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-13 00:55 by dcba.

Date: July 13, 2014 00:41

Quique-stone

Yeahhhh, that's the spirit friend!
I'm a Stones fan in Buenos Aires, Argentina and would like to meet any of you, including you Cristiano! Btw you became a "gaucho" living in the South of Brazil near the Uruguayan frontier. Btw, I'm drinking a mate using "Canarias", my fav yerba mate right now!

Actually, I'm a real "gaucho", since I was born here, next to Uruguay and Argentina. I'm not drinking a mate, but here's to you, Quique! smileys with beer

Date: July 13, 2014 01:12

dcba
DeanGoodman
MingSubu

Hep. A & B, tetanus, etc.

Hep B is like AIDS, the one you catch with unprotected sex. Are you that stupid...? No! So imho it's not necessary.

Tetanus will only infct you if you're old enough (80+) to have massive blood circulation problems as the the tetanus toxin only survives in anaerobic conditions. In other words the oxygen in your blood stream will destroy the tetanus toxin.

You edited my post to make me look stupid. I said no immunizations are necessary beyond those that you should already have.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 13, 2014 02:17

Required or recommended vaccinations often depend on where exactly you are intending to visit - i.e., if you want to travel outside major cities into more remote areas, you may need additional vaccinations. And advice can also change over time, so what applies now might not apply in 2015. In any case, it's very simple to check the latest advice at any time through reliable online sources.

As to safety, you can also check online for the latest scams going on in various cities and countries. But vigilance and common sense are the rule of thumb whether you are in South America, Europe, the United States or wherever - bad things can happen anywhere. It's good to be aware rather than paranoid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-13 02:22 by Beast.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 13, 2014 02:45

Ming, the CDC has an easy to navigate site that gives country specific recommendations for what vaccines you need. I would follow through with whatever is recommended...better to be safe than sorry, as they say. The last thing you want when you are far from home is to get sick.

[wwwnc.cdc.gov]

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home