Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: July 26, 2014 04:48

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:25 by colonial.

Re: Like to see Mick Taylor out on the Catwalk and B-Stage
Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: July 26, 2014 18:21

DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72
First and foremost, MT is by far, the best guitarist they've ever had!! if you've been paying attention since 12/02, he HAS lost a lot of weight, they are a MUCH better band with 3 guitarists on stage instead of two, they have absolutely wasted a wonderful opportunity to build off RAMBLER and play songs with him like Heartbreaker, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy, All Down the Line, Love in Vain, in fact, screw it, they should've brought him out to finish shows doing Ya-Ya's start to finish!!! That being said, MT looks very happy and so do the rest of boys. For that, I say thank you for everything and congratulations.

Best at what?

Surely, he's not the best to create riffs and songs in the band. Task #1 for a guitar player, imo - ownership to what you play.

However, he was the most accomplished solo guitar player in the Stones. But that's only one part of a guitar player's job. His solos ARE beautiful, though.

I have often wondered what songs/riffs Mick Taylor did create and never received writing credit for. I am sure there are songs that would not exist if Mick Taylor was not in the band. Sway comes to mind. But who really knows for sure?

Date: July 26, 2014 18:31

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-26 18:33 by ExileonTaylorStreet.

Date: July 26, 2014 19:13

PhillyFAN
DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72
First and foremost, MT is by far, the best guitarist they've ever had!! if you've been paying attention since 12/02, he HAS lost a lot of weight, they are a MUCH better band with 3 guitarists on stage instead of two, they have absolutely wasted a wonderful opportunity to build off RAMBLER and play songs with him like Heartbreaker, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy, All Down the Line, Love in Vain, in fact, screw it, they should've brought him out to finish shows doing Ya-Ya's start to finish!!! That being said, MT looks very happy and so do the rest of boys. For that, I say thank you for everything and congratulations.

Best at what?

Surely, he's not the best to create riffs and songs in the band. Task #1 for a guitar player, imo - ownership to what you play.

However, he was the most accomplished solo guitar player in the Stones. But that's only one part of a guitar player's job. His solos ARE beautiful, though.

I have often wondered what songs/riffs Mick Taylor did create and never received writing credit for. I am sure there are songs that would not exist if Mick Taylor was not in the band. Sway comes to mind. But who really knows for sure?

Remember that Mick Jagger both wrote Sway as well as played the leading rhythm guitar on it. The two brilliant solos were not instrumental in writing that song.

Songs like Moonlight Mile and TWFNO wouldn't be the same without Taylor, but you can clearly hear the songs without his contributions.

We're left with Bitch, and Taylor's leading riff guitar. But he never claimed (no one else either, for that matter) to have written that riff.

Themes like on Winter, Heartbreaker, Fingerprint File (the bass riff) sound like they were invented to already written songs, imo.

Date: July 27, 2014 03:06

DandelionPowderman
PhillyFAN
DandelionPowderman
ronkeith72

Best at what?

Remember that Mick Jagger both wrote Sway as well as played the leading rhythm guitar on it. The two brilliant solos were not instrumental in writing that song.

Songs like Moonlight Mile and TWFNO wouldn't be the same without Taylor, but you can clearly hear the songs without his contributions.

We're left with Bitch, and Taylor's leading riff guitar. But he never claimed (no one else either, for that matter) to have written that riff.

Themes like on Winter, Heartbreaker, Fingerprint File (the bass riff) sound like they were invented to already written songs, imo.[/quot

You"re probably right, but song writing can be a complicated process with everyone wanting to credit for humming a melody and the group developing the song.
I was never impressed with TWFNO.it sounds like a Carlos Santana imitation, even though a good solo. It was a change for the Stones style that I personally never thought fit the sound.
Maybe that's why it has never been done live.

Date: July 27, 2014 03:23

It would be ironic if they debuted it now - in their 70s! grinning smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: July 27, 2014 08:54

MT- under utilized on this tour. Sad sad sad.

Date: July 27, 2014 10:21

Under-utilized AND should be on the catwalk. Agreed.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: July 27, 2014 14:14

Has MJ been asked directly why Taylor has had such a limited role? Is there an "on the record" answer?

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 27, 2014 15:25

Cause the Rolling Stones are a sold out show for 40 years with Ron Wood already. So adding Taylor is just an Xtra service for the diehard / uber fans.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 27, 2014 15:53

For some time I have thought there was a specific explanation, but whatever it might be would likely cast an unflattering light on either Jagger, Keith, Ronnie, Taylor or some combination... but after seeing Ronnie and Taylor do their side project shows, and then Taylor with Keith on one of his songs, (even if it was happenstance/circumstantial as speculated in another thread) and then Taylor with Jagger on Streets of Love, I now think there really isn't one particular specific unpleasant reason. My guess is now, the Glimmers had a vague notion of 15 minutes or so given over to Taylor, and although they pull off an excellent version of Rambler without Taylor to begin with (the song in no way *needs* him as good as he is) the current version has become something of a "highlight" and not likely to be dropped now, and between Rambler and Satisfaction in which Taylor was included initially only to have him out on stage for the final bow, the minutes are now eaten up. Very sad and stale in my opinion, thinking instead they could have put him on maybe three other songs. I totally understand they might not want to deal with unpredictable solos in CYHMK every night (notwithstanding how good San Jose and Glastonbury turned out) or SWAY if Jagger cannot sing it properly, but as others have mentioned, something contained.. Heartbreaker, Love in Vain would work nicely and it would be pretty harmless I would think to let him play freely on Brown Sugar or one of the warhorses, but I guess its not to be.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 27, 2014 21:52

colonial
As a Rolling Stone I don't think Mick Taylor has ever been on the Catwalk and B-Stage it would be so cool to see him out there yea... (just say'n yea) smoking smiley

MT may sound cool, but let's face it in the visual appeal stakes he ain't got the allure of a smokin' hot backing singer broad.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: July 28, 2014 01:20

SonicDreamer
MT may sound cool, but let's face it in the visual appeal stakes he ain't got the allure of a smokin' hot backing singer broad.

Cheers,
SonicD

That overdramatic yet predictable catwalk cameo of a backing singer has been leaving quite a number of customers dissatisfied, or so I've heard.

Date: July 28, 2014 01:27

Chacal
SonicDreamer

Cheers,
SonicD

That overdramatic yet predictable catwalk cameo of a backing singer has been leaving quite a number of customers dissatisfied, or so I've heard.

I think that's true, but strangely enough not for this tour - from what I've seen and heard.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 30, 2014 00:31

lem motlow
chacal-

i dont know how it sounded but i just told the story of what happened when taylor left-its the story of him leaving out of the blue and telling the band at a party.everyone,including mick t himself agrees with this version of events.

what i will admit is that i have no facts to back up the claim that taylor got paid his song royalties.as a lontime fan of the band i could swear i read or heard about him getting that money but i could be totally wrong.

are you sure he didnt? its an interesting topic and one that has gone on for a long time so im curious about it.like i said,i could have sworn he got paid but you seem really sure he didn't.

maybe some of the other fans know something also.thoughts and information,anyone?

i hate to qoute my own post but can i get an answer please? everything i say is qouted with a bulletpoint presentation of why i'm wrong,i agree that i very well could be and simply ask for some information as to why what i said was incorrect and the thread begins to sink slowly onto page 2 then 3....

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: July 30, 2014 00:47

It would be very interesting to get some inside information about Taylor´s contribution. I can´t help but wonder why he´s willing to put up with being some kind of special guest gig after gig. Is the money that good?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 30, 2014 23:19

Chacal
lem motlow
where did i say anything about a law forbiding a band member from leaving a band or that mick taylor was the only person to ever leave a band??

Well you're the one that made it sound like Taylor committed a capital crime by leaving the band.
Are you equally judgemental about everyone that's ever had the audacity to change course in their musical career ? If not, then why make an exception for Taylor.

lem motlow
taylor sued the rolling stones years ago for back royalties for songs he helped write and was paid his money.you can look this up,its pretty well documented.they also went easy on him because they gave him the money without a trial.can you imagine taylor going up against the stones lawyers? he most likely would've lost the case and ended up even more broke paying his own legal fees.

What you call 'well-documented', did in fact never happen. There are no legal records on this so called lawsuit because it didn't take place.
No he didn't sue for songs he helped to write. And no, they didn't pay him any money.

lem motlow
again,the rolling stones "owe " mick taylor nothing. he quit his job,sued for back pay and got it-have a nice life.

I realise you're probably not going to listen, but you're very very poorly informed on this matter and for that reason alone it would really be much wiser to refrain from commenting at all.

lem motlow
having said that,i'm a big fan of mick taylor and want him back in the stones full time.one thing though,you don't just walk back into the rolling stones,ask bobby keys.

I fail to see how this is relevant to the issue we were discussing. Bobby Keys was never a bandmember. Regardless, he was hired back - at Keith's insistence.

ok,i'm very very misinformed on this matter,i'm "refraining from commenting at all" but i'm asking once again- could you give me the source of YOUR information?? really now-you dissect my post,throw all kinds of shit out there and i ask for a simple explaination and you disappear.

Date: July 31, 2014 00:03

--------

Date: July 31, 2014 16:58

Maybe after touring with his former band Mt will release a new album of Stones songs that he did not get to perform. He received nothing but great reviews and left people wanting more. Its a great way for him to make some money. I am sure after the Stones touring is over there would be a big market for his music.

Date: July 31, 2014 22:42

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:23 by colonial.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 31, 2014 22:47

colonial
colonial
A Catwalk below the main Courtyard Im making should be finished next week yea smoking smiley

Looks good Colonial! Now if you could just get MT to pick up one of those guitars and start playing!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 4, 2014 00:17

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-06 12:24 by colonial.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home