Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT: The Cult
Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 14, 2014 22:55

DandelionPowderman
The variety of the Cult's music is right up there with the Stones. Their grungy album from 1994 is very interesting, for instance.

But they didn't become big before they went hard rock, and was introduced to Rick Rubin...

The Dreamtime album is a true work of art and of course very vital. Not in terms of sales, though.

The Cult don't belong in the same book as the Stones, let alone the same sentence.

They are a minor 1980's band with a (ahem) cult following. We have some of those up here in Canada (54-40, Chalk Circle, Grapes of Wrath, Northern Pikes).

Robert Christgau summed the Cult up in his review for Sonic Temple - "having risen from cultdom as a joke metal band metal fans were too dumb to get, they transmute into a dumb metal band. Dumb was the easy part"

Date: July 14, 2014 23:22

You didn't catch what I said. The "metal" years are just one part of their career.

I notice that you're not commenting on their Dreamtime-album. Or was that a joke, too?

Date: July 14, 2014 23:58

I have no knowledge of Dreamtime LP. I did own cassettes of Love and Electric in the '80s and enjoyed them enough - but they aren't that memorable beyond the singles.

There are worse bands out there, to be sure. But in the grand scheme of things they are a minor outfit - at least in my opinion.

To be perfectly honest, the last I heard of Astbury, or the Cult for that matter, he was fronting the Doors - which sounded about right to me.

Any "vitality" the Cult may have once had disappeared a long, long time ago. Good on them if they are delivering satisfactory product to what remains of their fans. They certainly are off most music fans' radar.

Date: July 15, 2014 00:11

DandelionPowderman
You didn't catch what I said. The "metal" years are just one part of their career.

I notice that you're not commenting on their Dreamtime-album. Or was that a joke, too?

My main beef is with the notion that the Cult still register and continue to make "vital" music - as suggested by the article from the Sun.

If you want to hold up an LP from 1984 as the band's primary defence against my opinion, well that pretty much says it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-15 00:12 by JimmyTheSaint.

Date: July 15, 2014 00:22

I did that since you dismissed them as "dumb ass metal".

Well, that's wrong - if you have checked out their earlier, mid-period or later work. Two albums in the late eighties and early ninties somewhat fit your description - although ST is a great album, imo.

The Cult had their own sound, even at their most commercial peak.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 15, 2014 01:39

At least it got you's talkin'.
If you don't like 'em...your loss.
If you do...rock onsmileys with beer

Date: July 15, 2014 01:43

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-15 01:46 by shadooby.

Date: July 15, 2014 02:12

Date: July 15, 2014 02:14

Date: July 15, 2014 02:21

Date: July 15, 2014 02:29

Date: July 15, 2014 02:36

OK, I'm done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-15 02:38 by shadooby.

Date: July 15, 2014 03:38

DandelionPowderman

That was Robert Christgau, who is more an authority than you or I.

I'll stick with Mr. Mojo Risin fronting ersatz Zeppelin for my characterization.

Date: July 15, 2014 06:19

JimmyTheSaint
Just read the article. I'll politely suggest that the Cult never made particularly vital music. Having the distinction of being classed as late 1980's hard rock heavyweights doesn't exactly put them in elite company. Would Living Colour rank as one of their peer groups?

Astbury has the attitude, look and ego of the frontman for a vital rock band. Just not the talent. Or the back catalogue.

To appropriately borrow from Spinal Tap once more, the Cult currently reside in the "where are they now file". Where they belong.

this post is almost entirely rubbish

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 15, 2014 06:38

JimmyTheSaint
Mediocre head-banging bullshit - at best. A dumbed-down Doors/Zeppelin hybrid - at worst. Do not like.

Date: July 15, 2014 10:08

keefriffhard4life
JimmyTheSaint
Just read the article. I'll politely suggest that the Cult never made particularly vital music. Having the distinction of being classed as late 1980's hard rock heavyweights doesn't exactly put them in elite company. Would Living Colour rank as one of their peer groups?

Astbury has the attitude, look and ego of the frontman for a vital rock band. Just not the talent. Or the back catalogue.

To appropriately borrow from Spinal Tap once more, the Cult currently reside in the "where are they now file". Where they belong.

It IS entirely rubbish! He has too little knowledge of their catalogue and their many musical directions.

Date: July 15, 2014 12:41

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
JimmyTheSaint

It IS entirely rubbish! He has too little knowledge of their catalogue and their many musical directions.

i couldn't even figure out why he brought up living colour. was he trying to say living colour never made vital music either?

Date: July 15, 2014 16:36

keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
JimmyTheSaint

i couldn't even figure out why he brought up living colour. was he trying to say living colour never made vital music either?

No. But when were they last heard from?

In my opinion the Cult are all style no substance. Sure, they look the part and certainly have swagger and attitude. But have they contributed anything 'vital' since "Wildflower" or "Love Removal Machine"?

That's a serious question. Any number of dumbass 80's hair bands could have penned "Fire Woman". And "Edie" is just cock rock balladry akin to what Def Leppard, Poison, Warrant and Aerosmith were producing around the same time.

Again, it's nice that you guys are so passionate about them. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong in my assessment.

So far, all I've read here is that they have a great album from '84 and have attempted many musical directions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-15 16:37 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 15, 2014 16:39

Actually you are wrong...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 15, 2014 16:39

drewmaster
Always loved this one...

Drew

Hm, that riff reminds me of something...

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 15, 2014 18:22

FANTASTIC BAND AND HERITAGE

Date: July 15, 2014 21:22

michaelsavage
Actually you are wrong...

Tell me how?

What great songs and lps have the Cult contributed to the rock canon since the '80s? Is anything they ever have produced considered essential?

We'll agree to disagree on this one. Considering where we are I'm quite sure we could find common ground on other subjects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-15 21:25 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 15, 2014 21:24

Great great band. Lots of super stuff. Their last CD is terrific

Date: July 15, 2014 22:54

JimmyTheSaint
keefriffhard4life
DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life
JimmyTheSaint

No. But when were they last heard from?

In my opinion the Cult are all style no substance. Sure, they look the part and certainly have swagger and attitude. But have they contributed anything 'vital' since "Wildflower" or "Love Removal Machine"?

That's a serious question. Any number of dumbass 80's hair bands could have penned "Fire Woman". And "Edie" is just cock rock balladry akin to what Def Leppard, Poison, Warrant and Aerosmith were producing around the same time.

Again, it's nice that you guys are so passionate about them. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong in my assessment.

So far, all I've read here is that they have a great album from '84 and have attempted many musical directions.

the fact you think "edie" is akin to poisons music says it all. thats like saying poison could have penned "silent lucidity"

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 15, 2014 23:40

Lots of negativity here around this band.
I must admit I was a bit sceptical too, but when somebody on this forum suggested that a "Bob rock" ( whoever this may be ) produced album called "Beyond good and evil" was worth getting I did so.
OK, it's no Rolling Stones record, but it definitely reaches standards set by a band like Black Crowes or say the first wolfmother record. It's well worth the money spent.
I shall now google for who is "Bob rock".

Date: July 16, 2014 00:20

[/quote]

the fact you think "edie" is akin to poisons music says it all. thats like saying poison could have penned "silent lucidity"[/quote]

I just threw them in as a reference point. To me, Edie sounds like the paint-by-numbers hairband ballad that was produced ad nauseum during that era.

"Silent Lucidity" is just faux Floyd to me in the same way the Cult is ersatz Doors/Zeppelin. When I'm so inclined, I'd prefer to hear the originals.

Nonetheless, I've done some reading on the Cult in the last 24 hours, and by all accounts their most recent release is pretty good - so I will check it out. It sounds as though they have a bigger following in the UK which might explain why I've heard nothing about them for years.

Date: July 16, 2014 00:23

JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman

That was Robert Christgau, who is more an authority than you or I.

I'll stick with Mr. Mojo Risin fronting ersatz Zeppelin for my characterization.

The same guy that called Taylor's playing on CYHMK on SF boring... eye rolling smiley

Date: July 16, 2014 00:27

JimmyTheSaint

the fact you think "edie" is akin to poisons music says it all. thats like saying poison could have penned "silent lucidity"[/quote]

I just threw them in as a reference point. To me, Edie sounds like the paint-by-numbers hairband ballad that was produced ad nauseum during that era.

"Silent Lucidity" is just faux Floyd to me in the same way the Cult is ersatz Doors/Zeppelin. When I'm so inclined, I'd prefer to hear the originals.

Nonetheless, I've done some reading on the Cult in the last 24 hours, and by all accounts their most recent release is pretty good - so I will check it out. It sounds as though they have a bigger following in the UK which might explain why I've heard nothing about them for years.[/quote]

They are british..

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 16, 2014 11:07

Hope they put out a bluray of them playing the "Electric" album!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 16, 2014 11:58

shadooby

Love this, but elemental light is my favourite recent Cult.

[youtu.be]

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1954
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home