Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: The Cult
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 11, 2014 00:41

Off topic but what Ian has to say applies to all artists, such as the Stones, still making great music.

[www.vancouversun.com]

Re: OT: The Cult
Date: July 11, 2014 01:29

Love them! thumbs up

Posted by: aeon ()
Date: July 11, 2014 14:23

Pretty cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-11 14:25 by aeon.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 11, 2014 14:26

Yep - good band. Saw them when they were touring the Love album. thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 11, 2014 14:32

shadooby
Off topic but what Ian has to say applies to all artists, such as the Stones, still making great music.

[www.vancouversun.com]

Thanks shadooby, that was an interesting read. His last quote reminded me very much of the Stones.

“The Cult started as a live band. The idea of making records was a fantasy; that was something someone else did. We had done hundreds of shows before we even had the chance to make a records, so a chemistry evolves. We’ve got to play. It’s our lifeblood.”

Read more: [www.vancouversun.com]

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 11, 2014 16:49

I loved them until I saw them on their Ceremony Tour. Ian's voice was shot and Billy was just going through the motions. No energy. I was 2nd row center and many people around me were sitting. How often do you see people that close to the stage sitting at a rock concert? sad smiley

Wish I had seen them on either their Electric or Sonic Temple tours. Maybe they were better then.

Date: July 11, 2014 17:08

MILKYWAY
I loved them until I saw them on their Ceremony Tour. Ian's voice was shot and Billy was just going through the motions. No energy. I was 2nd row center and many people around me were sitting. How often do you see people that close to the stage sitting at a rock concert? sad smiley

Wish I had seen them on either their Electric or Sonic Temple tours. Maybe they were better then.

You were unlucky. The band was shot during this era. They became great again later on.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: July 11, 2014 18:12

Their last CD (with bonus CD) is excellent

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 11, 2014 19:21

Indeed it is,,their best ever to me and astbury writes great lyrics.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 11, 2014 22:32

I didn't even know they were playing in town. The famous Commodore Ballroom is an awesome venue to see bands, located on Granville Street right downtown Vancouver. Holds about 1000 people. Seen several bands there throughout the years including David Lee Roth, Cheap Trick, Ace Frehley and Chickenfoots second ever show after playing a couple nights prior in Seattle.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 12, 2014 00:03

Always loved this one...

Drew

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 13, 2014 10:58

Love the "Beyond Good and Evil" album. Anyone else?

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 13, 2014 15:07

JohnnyBGoode

A very good album but Choice of Weapon and the digital only companion Weapon of Choice (Demos) is the best since they got back together around 2000.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 13, 2014 15:43

Love the Cult Vinyl Album 1985 is in the housethumbs up

Date: July 13, 2014 16:45

aeon
Pretty cool.

Lovely! grinning smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 13, 2014 17:23

Billy Duffy is an amazing guitarist.

Loved Ian's early studio work, but find him awful live.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: July 14, 2014 03:08

buffalo7478
Billy Duffy is an amazing guitarist.

Loved Ian's early studio work, but find him awful live.

Billy Duffy's gear page is great:

[www.billyduffy.com]

Really like how all the photos are clickable and then expand to more info with commentary from Billy himself. Interesting if you are into gear.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 14, 2014 03:32

Saw them when "She Sells Sanctuary" was out. The singer was goose stepping around the stage in pseudo nazi gear & really didn't sound too good. Didn't enjoy. They were a little better when they opened for Metallica on the "Justice" tour but apart from a few songs not a big favorite. To each his (or her) own.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 14, 2014 04:19

I saw them on the Sonic Temple tour at the old Boston Garden in early '90. They were good, but not great - but then, I always thought Sonic Temple was just good whereas Love and Electric were truly great. Honestly, the highlight of the show was during the opening number ("New York City") when two fringed-jacket wearing hairsprayed out metal chicks got into a brawl right in front of me. Watching the Garden security guys - old dudes in maroon blazers - try to separate them was comedy at its finest.

Brad and Tom from Aerosmith came out and did "Born To Be Wild" with them but the best song of the show was still "Peace Dog".

Date: July 14, 2014 17:12

shadooby
JohnnyBGoode

A very good album but Choice of Weapon and the digital only companion Weapon of Choice (Demos) is the best since they got back together around 2000.

Agreed

Date: July 14, 2014 17:15

I like Born Into This as well.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 14, 2014 18:04

crholmstrom
They were a little better when they opened for Metallica on the "Justice" tour

You saw that tour and you're not deaf? grinning smiley

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 14, 2014 18:08

Mediocre head-banging bullshit - at best. A dumbed-down Doors/Zeppelin hybrid - at worst. Do not like.

Date: July 14, 2014 18:18

Go away...far far away

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 14, 2014 18:25

JuanTCB
I saw them on the Sonic Temple tour at the old Boston Garden in early '90. They were good, but not great - but then, I always thought Sonic Temple was just good whereas Love and Electric were truly great. Honestly, the highlight of the show was during the opening number ("New York City") when two fringed-jacket wearing hairsprayed out metal chicks got into a brawl right in front of me. Watching the Garden security guys - old dudes in maroon blazers - try to separate them was comedy at its finest.

Brad and Tom from Aerosmith came out and did "Born To Be Wild" with them but the best song of the show was still "Peace Dog".

Can't believe that I have to admit to never having seen a concert in the original Boston - The Centrum in Worcester had taken the shows by the time I came around in the mid-80's - but still wanted to thank you for giving me a GOOD case of home-sickness. When I read your phrase " - old dudes in maroon blazers - " I can't tell you how big a smile broke out on my face! smileys with beer Saw those blazers at Celtics games all the time! Funny how memories make us react! Thanks again for bringing up a good on for me!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 14, 2014 19:02

JimmyTheSaint
Mediocre head-banging bullshit - at best. A dumbed-down Doors/Zeppelin hybrid - at worst. Do not like.

Play Dreamtime and Love repeatedly, said the doctor...

Date: July 14, 2014 19:11

Different strokes for different folks. Astbury is a Jim Morrison wannabe. Hence the band's teenage appeal. Does anyone 20+ actually still think Morrison was an American poet? And I dig LA Woman as much as the next guy.

There is a reason the Cult haven't been relevant since the Reagan administration.

Date: July 14, 2014 19:33

Just read the article. I'll politely suggest that the Cult never made particularly vital music. Having the distinction of being classed as late 1980's hard rock heavyweights doesn't exactly put them in elite company. Would Living Colour rank as one of their peer groups?

Astbury has the attitude, look and ego of the frontman for a vital rock band. Just not the talent. Or the back catalogue.

To appropriately borrow from Spinal Tap once more, the Cult currently reside in the "where are they now file". Where they belong.

Date: July 14, 2014 20:36

The variety of the Cult's music is right up there with the Stones. Their grungy album from 1994 is very interesting, for instance.

But they didn't become big before they went hard rock, and was introduced to Rick Rubin...

The Dreamtime album is a true work of art and of course very vital. Not in terms of sales, though.

Date: July 14, 2014 21:43

JimmyTheSaint
Different strokes for different folks. Astbury is a Jim Morrison wannabe. Hence the band's teenage appeal. Does anyone 20+ actually still think Morrison was an American poet? And I dig LA Woman as much as the next guy.

There is a reason the Cult haven't been relevant since the Reagan administration.
you still here?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home