Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: The Cult
Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 16, 2014 18:09

DandelionPowderman
JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman
I did that since you dismissed them as "dumb ass metal".

That was Robert Christgau, who is more an authority than you or I.

I'll stick with Mr. Mojo Risin fronting ersatz Zeppelin for my characterization.

The same guy that called Taylor's playing on CYHMK on SF boring... eye rolling smiley

Yes, but he's also the same guy who validates our love for all (most) things Stones with his consistently strong reviews for the band's output. Heck, hey even gave Dirty Work an endorsement.

The Rolling Stone Album guide also looks none to favorably on the Cult calling them..."a heavy metal band for folks who think they are above such things"...and labels them producers of "some of the most pompous and silly music rock has seen since the heyday of the Doors". Which is pretty much in line with my earlier assessment. As for Dreamtime, it only garnered a 2 star review. Of course, this is the same publication which has also validated our appreciation for the Stones for many years with 4 and 5 star reviews for their recordings.

Like I said the other day, I did once own cassettes of Love and Electric which I played frequently. I also once had Jim Morrison and the Doors posters plastered to my wall and I did believe Mojo Risin was an American Poet. But then I got older and wiser. The Doors have a place in music history, but we certainly didn't need the second coming of Morrison and his mystic BS and we definitely didn't need more of his nonsensical lyrics backed by ersatz Zeppelin.

I'm sorry, but that's the way I see and hear it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 18:10 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 16, 2014 18:15

The Cult are great.

Zeppelin were superb

Doors were very very good

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 16, 2014 19:04

as Lou Reed said

"Critics...anal retentive, A Consumer's Guide to Rock, what a moron: 'A Study' by, y'know, Robert Christgau. Nice little boxes: B-PLUS. Can you imagine working for a @#$%& year, and you get a B+ from some @#$%& in The Village Voice?"

Date: July 16, 2014 19:05

alhavu1
The Cult are great.

Zeppelin were superb

Now this makes sense. If you believe the latter I can see why you'd like the former.

I also like Zeppelin quite a bit - particularly the more bluesy numbers.

For my tastes, I would revise your summary this way:

The Black Crowes are good.

The Rolling Stones were (are) superb.

Faces were very very great.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised by all the love for the Cult on a Stones board. I would expect it on a Doors board.

Date: July 16, 2014 19:12

Braincapers
as Lou Reed said

"Critics...anal retentive, A Consumer's Guide to Rock, what a moron: 'A Study' by, y'know, Robert Christgau. Nice little boxes: B-PLUS. Can you imagine working for a @#$%& year, and you get a B+ from some @#$%& in The Village Voice?"

Lou Reed is awesome! Now there's an artist that is worthy of further discussion.

As for rock critics, they can serve a useful purpose. They shouldn't inform or change your opinion.

I like to read rock reviews and at times discover new artists or recordings that I otherwise would not have considered. Sometimes I like what I find and other times I don't.

And I really like Dylan's Street Legal. And we all know what the critics thought of that one!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 19:35 by JimmyTheSaint.

Date: July 16, 2014 20:18

JimmyTheSaint
alhavu1
The Cult are great.

Zeppelin were superb

Now this makes sense. If you believe the latter I can see why you'd like the former.

I also like Zeppelin quite a bit - particularly the more bluesy numbers.

For my tastes, I would revise your summary this way:

The Black Crowes are good.

The Rolling Stones were (are) superb.

Faces were very very great.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised by all the love for the Cult on a Stones board. I would expect it on a Doors board.

We wouldn't even mention the Doors and the Cult in the same sentence hadn't it been for Astbury turning down the role in the film, and him accepting a stint with Manzarek and Krieger.

The gothic roots of the Cult is simply not to be found in the Doors' musical output. At least, not in the same way - musically. Even on Sonic Temple there are lots of gothic guitar motifs and phrasing.

PS: A band that dares to lift the SMU-riff in one of their biggest hits deservs some kind of a credit on a Stones board smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-16 20:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 17, 2014 02:34

A few deep cuts:

1984:

1990:

1994:

2001:

2007:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-17 02:44 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 17, 2014 03:04

This show from Finland in 1986 (round the 5 minute mark) shows that they didn´t have the Start Me Up-riff in Love Removal Machine, as this show was before they recorded Peace, I believe?

Might be that Rick Rubin suggested they added it, and stripped it off al the effects. Interesting.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 18, 2014 07:36

Should the Stones cover "Love Removal Machine?" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: July 18, 2014 10:05

JohnnyBGoode
Should the Stones cover "Love Removal Machine?" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It's like asking AC/DC to cover Wild Flower winking smiley

Date: July 20, 2014 14:21

Does anyone know of any good bootlegs from the "Electric 13" tour?

From Coachella 2014:

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 21, 2014 05:55

I'll never like them simply because to me "the Cult" meant BOC ya know?

Date: July 21, 2014 06:48

Wry Cooter
I'll never like them simply because to me "the Cult" meant BOC ya know?

i get it but originally the singer was in southern death cult then formed death cult with billy duffy. the shortned the name to the cult for more commercial appeal and distance themselves a bit from goth

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 21, 2014 21:17

I'm amazed to discover from reading posts in this thread that The Cult were a "heavy metal" band. They always seemed too melodic and, uh, "musical" to (de)merit that tag.

I recall a radio review from the mid-nineties by one John "Rotten" Lydon where he was noting the tenth anniversary of that album that Sanctuary is from, during which he says it's "a bloody good album".

I agree. I quite liked that album.

Date: July 21, 2014 22:57

stonehearted
I'm amazed to discover from reading posts in this thread that The Cult were a "heavy metal" band. They always seemed too melodic and, uh, "musical" to (de)merit that tag.

I recall a radio review from the mid-nineties by one John "Rotten" Lydon where he was noting the tenth anniversary of that album that Sanctuary is from, during which he says it's "a bloody good album".

I agree. I quite liked that album.

You're right, but the fact that their biggest-selling albums (Sonic Temple and Ceremony, possibly also Electric) followed a then modern "metal template" production-wise, leads lots of people who aren't really familiar with their history or their catalogue to believe that they are a metal band.

And, yes, even reviewers as well...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 22, 2014 00:24

For Cult purists...never saw this before.

Date: July 22, 2014 17:06

Does anyone have the Irving Plaza 2006 audio? Every link to the Instant Live shows don't work. Trying to find some 2006 shows!

Date: July 23, 2014 03:11

Date: July 23, 2014 03:15

smoking smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2014 17:28

MILKYWAY
I loved them until I saw them on their Ceremony Tour. Ian's voice was shot and Billy was just going through the motions. No energy. I was 2nd row center and many people around me were sitting. How often do you see people that close to the stage sitting at a rock concert? sad smiley

Wish I had seen them on either their Electric or Sonic Temple tours. Maybe they were better then.

You must've been with a lame crowd. I saw the CEREMONIAL STOMP tour in Merriville, IN and the crowd destroyed the first 5 rows of seats, Ian was on fire and Billy was beyond insane on the guitar.

SONIC TEMPLE tour sucked, although when they opened for Metallica they were on fire. The headline tour they seemed flat.

Date: July 30, 2014 17:33

Hey JimmyTheSaint...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 06:03 by GasLightStreet.

Date: July 30, 2014 17:41

CHOICE OF WEAPON is the best LP they've done since ELECTRIC. And really I think BORN INTO THIS is the same prior to COW being released. THE CULT (1994 LP) is a very good album, better than SONIC TEMPLE and CEREMONY but still doesn't stand up to BIT and COW.

ELECTRIC 13 was beyond incredible. I was floored. I love Led Zeppelin but I think Billy Duffy is one of the best guitarists of all time regarding rock music of that caliber and, yes, better than Page.

The Cult were on tap to open on the STEEL WHEELS tour. Fortunately they did not.

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: July 30, 2014 17:52

Did not know about Steel Wheels connection. Too bad. That would have been great plus the opening act for SW - Living Colour - sucked big time.

Yes,. Choice of Weapon is terrific.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: July 30, 2014 18:00

Allways loved this band,,,from beginning of their career,,i do have some bootlegs,,but haven´t got time to remaster them,when i have i will share them only ,,on my personal FB page,not anywhere else.

Date: July 30, 2014 18:01

alhavu1
Did not know about Steel Wheels connection. Too bad. That would have been great plus the opening act for SW - Living Colour - sucked big time.

I would've loved it but in hindsight I'm glad they didn't. Living Colour was incredibly boring. They certainly didn't translate live in that setting.

Date: July 30, 2014 19:34

GasLightStreet
alhavu1

I would've loved it but in hindsight I'm glad they didn't. Living Colour was incredibly boring. They certainly didn't translate live in that setting.

I longed for LC when Dan Reed Network opened on the UJ-Tour! LC can't possibly have been worse?

Date: July 31, 2014 02:07

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: July 31, 2014 07:33

Funny enough...I just bought a used copy of "Love" today at Academy Records on W18th Street in Manhattan.

Paid $1.99.

Great record store for those who still seek a copy of the physical.

Pecman

Date: August 2, 2014 23:51

This track remains their biggest hit chart wise. Great tune, especially live.

Date: August 3, 2014 01:23

GasLightStreet
This track remains their biggest hit chart wise. Great tune, especially live.

worldwide the bands biggest hit is "fire woman"

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2066
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home