Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: New Pink Floyd Album????
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 5, 2014 19:04

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-06 00:00 by bv.

Re: New Pink Floyd Album????
Date: July 5, 2014 19:10

Other than this post and the others floating around on the Internet, have Mason or Waters confirmed this themselves?

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: July 5, 2014 19:13

I assume Waters is not involved.

Gilmour, Wright, Mason recorded in 1994.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 19:14 by jabhead.

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: July 5, 2014 19:15

Wow, that would be amazing - although I can't believe this right now.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 5, 2014 19:53

OK, but it's not 'new', right? It's rather outtakes from The Division Bell.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 20:10

Its Pink Fraud. No Waters.

Re: OT: New Pink Floyd Album????
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 5, 2014 21:45

"Remember this photo? It wasn't what you THOUGHT it was. "YES. THERE IS A NEW PINK FLOYD ALBUM COMING OUT. AND I'M ON IT. And there was much rejoicing."
-- Durga McBroom-Hudson, from her Facebook post

David Gilmour with (left to right) Sarah Brown, Durga McBroom-Hudson and Louise Clare Marshall.

More comments from Durga regarding "The Endless River" album:

"I don't know if there will be a tour or not yet. STAY TUNED."

"The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled "The Big Spliff" that Nick Mason spoke about). Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That's the song you see being worked on in the photo."

"ALL UNRELEASED SONGS. And I don't know about vinyl, but I don't see why not."

"Yes, Guy is on it." (In reply to if Guy Pratt is on the album)

"And yes, Nick also. THIS IS A PINK FLOYD ALBUM."

"No, he's going to release a solo album as well."

"I know - he wanted to keep it quiet. But no one is going to tell Polly what to do!! LOL!!"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 5, 2014 21:49

franzk

Evidently the recordings have been recently embellished by Gilmour and Mason.

Agree with whitem8..."Pink Fraud"...thumbs down

Or to paraphrase Waters c.'86... a "facsimile/forgery".

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 5, 2014 21:56

Who is Polly Samson?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 5, 2014 22:02

Koen
Who is Polly Samson?

She's married with David Gilmour and wrote some lyrics for the Division Bell album.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 5, 2014 22:35

Cristiano Radtke
Koen
Who is Polly Samson?

She's married with David Gilmour and wrote some lyrics for the Division Bell album.

Ruh roh, spousal involvement. That's usually trouble.grinning smiley

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: July 5, 2014 22:54

David! Try to persuade Roger Waters to play in this too, okay?

Date: July 5, 2014 23:25

Ironic that news of this release comes on the 9th anniversary of Live 8, the official reconciliation of Gilmour and Waters, as the "new" release comes from the sessions of an album that Waters lambasted in subsequent interviews ('They're calling that Pink Floyd? Give me a break!').

A good alternate working title: The Revision Bell

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-05 23:32 by stonehearted.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:13

Hairball
franzk

Evidently the recordings have been recently embellished by Gilmour and Mason.

Agree with whitem8..."Pink Fraud"...thumbs down

Or to paraphrase Waters c.'86... a "facsimile/forgery".

How is this any different than what the Stones did outtakes from Exile and Some Girls? Partially finished tracks that were completed decades after the originals were recorded?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:15

Because they are tracks done without any involvement with Roger Waters. They are from Division Bell... Hey I am not a total naysayer, but I did not think they should have continued as Floyd without Roger and I agreed that mostly the stuff done without him was pretty subpar.
On another note, David Gilmore's album On an Island is fantastic!

Date: July 6, 2014 01:20

A Pink Floyd record without Waters and Wright (unfortunately dead). I'll pass.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:22

This is all very confusing ....

Date: July 6, 2014 01:40

Cristiano Radtke
A Pink Floyd record without Waters and Wright (unfortunately dead). I'll pass.

Rick Wright is on it. It's from the Division Bell sessions, mostly instrumental. The original working title, according to Nick Mason, was "A Big Spliff".

Wiki entry from the "List of unreleased songs recorded by Pink Floyd":

An album of ambient music under the title The Big Spliff was recorded during the sessions for The Division Bell. The band seriously considered releasing it, but the idea was abandoned. [en.wikipedia.org]

Nick Mason wrote about the sessions in his autobiography Inside Out (p. 315):

"We eventually ended up with enough left-over material that we
considered releasing it as a second album, including a set we
dubbed 'The Big Spliff', the kind of ambient mood music that
we were bemused to find being adopted by bands like the Orb,
although - unlike Gong's Steve Hillage - we never received any
invitations to join this next generation on stage."

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:46

If this is the stuff that wasn't good enough to make it onto The Division Bell, it must be pretty dire.

Date: July 6, 2014 01:55

Again agree with whitem8 - this time regarding David Gilmore's solo album On an Island being great.
And the tour he did for that album was also great, which ironically included Rick Wright on keyboards.

> On an Island

Had the Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason albums been labeled as solo Gilmour rather than Pink Floyd, I might have had a bit more respect for them.
Can't say I hate them, but haven't listened to them since they were released. Passed on seeing both of those "Pink Floyd" tours as well.
Was fortunate to see The Wall tour in 1980 twice, and that's where my loyalty stands.

With that said, the recent Roger Waters Wall shows were indeed impressive, but mostly from a visual standpoint.
And while the band he had pretty much nailed it musically, there still seemed to be something missing...namely Gilmour, Mason, and Wright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-06 01:56 by Hairball.

Date: July 6, 2014 01:58

Speaking of the Orb, which Nick Mason references in his book, Dave Gilmour recorded an ambient album with them in 2010 (Metallic Spheres), and it's highly recommended. If the unreleased material is along these lines, then it will be a unique and worthwhile release.

Part 1: Metallic side.

Part 2: Spheres side.

Date: July 6, 2014 02:04

Thanks for the infos, stonehearted. I didn noticed these are old recordings. thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 6, 2014 02:48

Without looking it up I'm pretty sure Waters said it was "a clever forgery"...

Not sure what to think...what's confusing is that Gilmour's been really good at not miking it since 1994 so why now? To pay a tribute to Wright? That could have been done by adding the material to the recent DB boxset (or whatever it's called) and now I understand why there is zero unreleased material on it...Apparently he's planning a solo album for 2015 so, like Live 8 in 2005 before his 2006 album, maybe he begrudgingly agreed to this. Waters can't be too happy about the news, then again he only seems interested in lecturing people (including the Stones) about his political ideas these days...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: July 6, 2014 04:51

<<Apparently he's planning a solo album for 2015>>

Exactly!

<<like Live 8 in 2005 before his 2006 album, maybe he begrudgingly agreed to this.>>

Because as a follow-up to Pink Floyd's 2005 event, On An Island became a number 1 album.

And if you're going to work on an album, as he does, for 6 or 7 years, you may as well go all out and see that you're making the public hungry for new product by reminding of them of the Pink Floyd brand--er, I mean band, well, actually, I did mean brand.... Well, you know what I mean. His 2015 album will do better than it otherwise would have as a "follow-up" to a Pink Floyd album, especially one that promises to be something of an inventive departure from the Momentary Lapse/Division Bell mould.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 6, 2014 05:54

They should call the follow up, The Division Continues

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 6, 2014 08:23

Stonehearted has a good perspective it seems. When I first read this I thought it may be a genuine collaboration. I have little use for a Floyd without Roger and even less interest in Waters' Wall. I am one of the very few who saw 3 out of 4 of The Wall concerts at Nassau Coliseum. I had the same seats each night and my bong stayed safely stashed from night to night behind the cushion...

Posted by: winter ()
Date: July 6, 2014 09:22

Interesting. If they're really adding to and reworking Wright's last sessions with them, they should hand it over to Rog to reimagine, write lyrics for and add in a few lead vocals.

Momentary Lapse was a great effort and a band still moving forward musically and sonically, but I'll never trust another Floyd album without him writing the bulk of the lyrics after hearing Division Bell's godawful lyrical team.

C'mon guys, do the right thing!

Date: July 6, 2014 11:56

Thanks D&G!smiling smiley

Think about it this way: it's mostly instrumental and has Rick Wright, one of the main "architects" of the Pink Floyd sound--the man who put that Miles Davis jazz chord in Us And Them. Should sound something like those "barn jams" from Dave's most recent sessions (All "3" from Live in Gdansk)....

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: July 6, 2014 22:56

I'm really excited by this news even if it is only out-takes. It'll be interesting to see how it sounds and how well received it is. Whilst I agree Floyd lost a lot with Roger's departure I still love The Division Bell, I think its a great album. (The same can't be said for A Momentary Lapse Of Reason though!) Having said that I think it's a real shame that Roger isn't involved at all. I thought it fitting that the last major Pink Floyd event was Live 8 which featured all of them (bar Syd obviously). I know its not from his era but considering they are doing overdubs/redoing parts it would have been a nice touch to have Roger appear on the record, even if it was just playing bass. After Live 8 in 2005, Nick doing shows with Roger in 2006 and 2007, and David playing with Roger in 2010 a 'new' Pink Floyd record without Roger seems like a huge step backward. For this reason I'm inclined to think it should have been added as bonus material on the DB reissue or if it is too good to simply be used as bonus material perhaps having it called "David Gilmour presents The Endless River". I guess Pink Floyd sells more.

Date: July 6, 2014 23:09

With the quagmire and chaos of lawsuits, etc. following Rogers departure, I wonder if he receives royalties from Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason?

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home