Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: How was your Rolling Stones European Tour ?
Posted by: WarMachine ()
Date: July 11, 2014 04:36

I saw the band at Stockholm. It was a great experience as whole. They rocked the Tele2 Arena. I'm drunk now, but I'd still like to say (and I mean it too): I f*****g love this band.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 11, 2014 09:40

WarMachine
I'm drunk now, but I'd still like to say (and I mean it too):
I f*****g love this band.
in vino veritas!

edit: quote Erasmus of Rotterdam. Adagia, I.VII.17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-11 09:42 by Nikkei.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: July 12, 2014 15:18

I saw the show at the waldbuehne Berlin. It was my 21st Stones show since 1982. I had a seat quite near to the stage and I have to say, that it is the best venue I´ve been to since I saw the Stones. Simply fantastc. The show was absolutely high level. The Stones in top Form and enjoying themselves and the audience. Next to me some screaming very young girls... And I myself just enjoying, dancing and screaming as well. I didn´t like the 2003 and 2006 shows that much. So, if this was the last time: I keep them in very good memory. This show is one of my top 5. (Frankfurt 82, Berlin Olympic Stadium 90, Schuttdorf 95, Dusseldorf 98 and Berlin 2014) They indroduced me to Rock´n Roll and I still enjoy it.

Date: July 12, 2014 15:30

micha063
I saw the show at the waldbuehne Berlin. It was my 21st Stones show since 1982. I had a seat quite near to the stage and I have to say, that it is the best venue I´ve been to since I saw the Stones. Simply fantastc. The show was absolutely high level. The Stones in top Form and enjoying themselves and the audience. Next to me some screaming very young girls... And I myself just enjoying, dancing and screaming as well. I didn´t like the 2003 and 2006 shows that much. So, if this was the last time: I keep them in very good memory. This show is one of my top 5. (Frankfurt 82, Berlin Olympic Stadium 90, Schuttdorf 95, Dusseldorf 98 and Berlin 2014) They indroduced me to Rock´n Roll and I still enjoy it.

IMO the absolutely best moment of the whole freakin evening

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 15:31 by Nikkei.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 12, 2014 15:43

WarMachine
I saw the band at Stockholm. It was a great experience as whole. They rocked the Tele2 Arena. I'm drunk now, but I'd still like to say (and I mean it too): I f*****g love this band.

Im not drunk, but i fully agree with you !!!!!!!!!!Was at Stockholm too and they were GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-12 15:43 by corriecas.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 12, 2014 21:52

I disagree. They are great musicians who
wrote great songs.

Date: July 12, 2014 22:05

Brstonesfan
I disagree. They are great musicians who
wrote great songs.

Who are you disagreeing with?

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: July 12, 2014 22:33

In a way this European Tour for me started March 2011 in London with Boogie for Stu in the Ambassadors Theatre. Not really a Stones gig, but the first time to see Mick T with some of the Band, and a very nice evening indeed.

Next came the 50 years and counting exhibition in somerset house, catching a few glimpses and feeling at the start of something again.

2012 Stones at O2 arena was really great standing in the tongue pit finding out that they really were back and had developed further.

Hyde Park then was a big show connecting them to their own history and bringing a lot joy.

With the European tour I saw Waldbühne, Circo Massimo and Copenhagen. The latter was because I have never been to Roskilde before and never saw the Stones at a festival, and I wanted to wave them goodbye in case this European tour was my last chance to do so.I feeled a bit old there among the youngsters, best moment was when a young Danish guy after some tunes asked me: When was the first show you saw them? When I answered '1973' his mouth stood open, not sure if even his parents have been born by then.

Rome was incredible, the site, the heat, the fans, and the band on fire.

However Berlin was the best for me, wife and daughter came with us, beautiful site, better than Hollywood Bowl as in Berlin there was a pit area where the lounges (vip area) where situated at hollywood.
And best on top: I grapped one of Charly's sticks. Never got one of those memorabilia in all the shows before. I kept the stick safely in my trouser,on the way back I showed it to a couple we knew from Circus Krone. It was them realizing that Charlie's name and autograph is on it. So happy!

So how was my Rolling Stones European Tour?
Just great!

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 13, 2014 00:11

thumbs up

Date: July 13, 2014 03:39

Dose have any of the financial numbers yet? How much was the gross in Europe compared to states?

Date: July 13, 2014 07:12

eismann
And best on top: I grapped one of Charly's sticks. Never got one of those memorabilia in all the shows before. I kept the stick safely in my trouser,on the way back I showed it to a couple we knew from Circus Krone. It was them realizing that Charlie's name and autograph is on it. So happy!
how great is that? cheers, man!
Brstonesfan
Dose have any of the financial numbers yet? How much was the gross in Europe compared to states?
lower, of course. less concertss and lower prices,
not always bigger venues. but who cares?
(except for Bono)

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 13, 2014 09:43

micha063

How similar a Stones-history can be:
1. 1982 also my first Stones concert
2. Frankfurt 1982 also in my top 5

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: July 13, 2014 14:59

Frankfurt 82 was just mindblowing. It was my only indoor expeience with the Stones and I was on a Balkony, which was just above the side of Keith. I had a fantastic view onto the stage. Pure joy and very beautifull memories. One of the best concerts I have ever attendet. But the show in Berlin this year was also one of the great shows, i have seen. A great Live experience is something, that makes life easier and joyfull. Of course not like a wonderfull person as a partner or children. But it its the easy part of live. This should´nt be underrated... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: July 13, 2014 16:40

Yeah you are right: Frankfurt was the only indoor of the whole Europe leg.
And it was fantastic to have the energy of this band and their fans kept in one
place by walls and a roof.
The rest was just stadiums, but also fine - for me anyway because agewise this was the first tour I was aloud to go.
Berlin this year was also fantastic and is in my top 5 now.
Even I was their at BTB 1998 in September - which was great -
this one was so special because most of the audience didn´t expect to get the band in this stunning power. When they came on everybody of the Berliner´s was just overwhelmed.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 13, 2014 19:46

Werchter was the only one of the 14 dates possible for me, and according to several of the reviews above it wasn't the pick of the bunch - too rural, too far to walk, and the weather and the support acts were - er - uninspiring. I wondered if it might turn out to be an anticlimax after Hyde Park in the sunshine. But the minute the Stones hit the stage, I was glad I'd come - there is no-one to match this band live when they're in form, and they certainly were. Nothing can match hearing those wonderful noises they make - Keith's guitar ringing out on JJF - Mick's harmonica cutting through the night on Out Of Control - and the moment when all the band came together to produce a superb Midnight Rambler. As I always do between shows, I'd forgotten just how VERY good they are - and then the surprise of It's All Over Now as a bonus.

bv

Finally, I will add a comment from some young fans I was sitting next to on the "Tunnelban" back home from the Stockholm show. They were 5-6 "kids" age 25-35. I thibnk it must have been their first show. I was just listening, did not really talk to them. Then one of them said:

"You know, the Stones are not really that great as musicians, they are not great at all, but when they get together on stage, something magic happens. They just get fantastic, and they are the greatest band in the word."

Couldn't agree more - I'd have loved to be in Rome, or Madrid, but Werchter was magic enough, even in the rain. South America and Australia are out of the question, but I hope they make it back to London again. When I saw my first show in 2006 I never imagined I'd make it into double figures - so roll on the next time...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 13, 2014 19:52

Oops - double post. Sorry

Date: July 14, 2014 03:13

I disagree. In their prime, Keith was the best rhythm layer, Mick T a virtuoso,Bill a great bass player, Charlie's understated greatness, and Mick who
is the greatest front man and plays a dam good harp.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 14, 2014 10:52

I was just at Lisbon and Zurich and I was pretty happy with the show choices and cities. Beauty everywhere, great shows (Lisbon had great set lists and guests - Bruce and Gary Clarke Jr), Zurich's show was higher energy, perhaps just because they were getting warmed up with the tour. I traveled the way I did long ago, before I knew any Stones fans and walked and explored on my own, so missed all my friends at the bars - some regret about that but you know YCAGWYW...or at least, *all* you want

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 14, 2014 12:14

Hi Little Queenie, always a pleasure to hear from you!
Think you made just the right choices for your "Stones reunion"...nothing like groovin' around and enjoying your freedom.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 14, 2014 12:47

Brstonesfan

The tour was a complete financial success. That is clear without box office data. Unless this tour was handled differently, the Stones are paid a guaranty to deliver shows by the promoters. The Stones profit is guaranteed as long as they control expenses. The promoter books venues and prices tickets to ensure a profit. Since all shows sold out very quickly, it is highly likely that it was a successful one.

Date: July 14, 2014 20:33

This is positive news for any future tour.

Date: July 15, 2014 02:06

drbryant
The tour was a complete financial success. That is clear without box office data. Unless this tour was handled differently, the Stones are paid a guaranty to deliver shows by the promoters. The Stones profit is guaranteed as long as they control expenses. The promoter books venues and prices tickets to ensure a profit. Since all shows sold out very quickly, it is highly likely that it was a successful one.
yes the Stones get paid by the promoter whatever
amount they agreed upon before. then it's in the
promoters hands to work out how to be profitable.
so even if somebody would lose money, it still
wouldn't be the Stones.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 15, 2014 14:38

Well, my European Tour began in Oslo and ended up in Madrid, only 2 gigs this time around as I'd been to Abu Dhabi earlier on as well. From the slog from Lysaker station to and from the Telenor, seeing so many IORRians at the (very loud and very hot) show (BV, Matt Lee...), meeting Detlef at the aiport and then sitting next to Crawdaddy on the way back to London, sharing so many stories, to taking a 5-day break in Madrid with Pam, meeting up with Crawdaddy again the night before the show for a few beers(!!!!), beers in Fridsays before the show and the fantastic Spanish crowd and, of course, the Band playing out of their skins. So many great experiences, Madrid bringing up my 50th show, with Mick taking the longest I've ever seen him to (reluctantly) leave the stage. I'm hoping they'll play Fortaleza (NE Brazil) next year as we have an Apt there, only problem is the rainy season that time of year.
Here's hoping to see as many of you as possible somewhere, anywhere !!!!

Chriseganstar

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 15, 2014 15:22

Yes ! Madrid was really great Chris. My third visit there and easily the best, seeing The Stones playing at the home of Real Madrid.

It was great meeting up with you and Pam at the bar in Plaza Mayor.

Certainly hope we can meet up again in South America next February /March sometime. smileys with beer

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 16, 2014 00:57

Oslo and Lisbon for me this time, the two first shows. As they seemed to get better and better throughout the tour, I really regret not having tickets for later shows... But I really enjoyed the shows and am so glad I got to see them this year too - as HP1 was a blast!

Oslo, my capital city, was steaming hot and we were wondering where the air-condition was...? I got a few live firsts, ER and Worried about you, loved them! Standing a few rows behind GC on Ronnie´s side, we came a bit too late to get closer. The crowd was pretty good, except a few people pushing their way in a few inches in front of us just when it started. That always annoys me, when it is packed there already. Anyhow, the show was great! Never been at a tour opener before.

Lisbon was special, I am definitely not used to crowds of 90000 (it has been mentioned it could have been over 100.000 there)! We got there in time for most acts and ended up not too far from the tip of the catwalk - Keith´s side. The crowd was not very loud, considering how many we were. The ones next to us were so friendly.

As the Stones came on stage at midnight, it was a very late show! The HUGE surprise was Bruce Springsteen! That was a crowd pleaser indeed. Gary Clark Jr had given a great show just before and was nice to hear with the Stones again. Wild horses was a treat for me, and OOC was brilliant!

Mick was on fire and very impressive to watch, Ronnie very energized. Charlie good as always. For me it seemed like Keith was a bit quiet during these two shows, but then again I was not close to the stage and could not see them too well. Mick T wonderful on MR, I wish he could have been given more playing time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Date: July 16, 2014 13:07

I saw three shows on this tour, roughly at the beginning, middle and end - Zurich, Paris and Stockholm. I am not one to analyse each gig, song by song, and say which was best. I enjoyed them all 'in the moment' each with their own atmosphere, especially Stockholm as it was under a roof. One thing I noticed and I thought a little unusual....there were no tour posters around any of the cities I was in announcing that the Stones were in town. OK, they were sold out, but usually you see some promotion of the Stones performing in town by way of a billboard or a simple poster pasted onto a lamp post/phone box/etc. It was way cool seeing the tour jet at various airports however!

Anyway, great fun to catch up with friends old and new. Dancing like a lunatic at the Zurich show, having a post-gig bite to eat in Paris in the early hours and the nights up until 3.00am at the bar in the Grand in Stockholm will be my memories of the European 14 On Fire Tour.
Roll on the '15 And Still Hot' tour!

Posted by: WarMachine ()
Date: July 19, 2014 21:17

I only saw one show and that was Stockholm. Here's my long-winded review of it and some general impressions on the Stones as well.

The Rolling Stones in Stockholm & More

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 19, 2014 21:26

Great reviews!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 19, 2014 21:29

I agree. That was a great read WarMachine.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 19, 2014 22:11

Very interesting and well-written.
Thanks for posting!

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home