Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Dixie Dean-From Rip This Joint?
Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: June 22, 2014 08:32

Has anyone noticed this guy before? I've read the tracktalk thread of Rip This Joint and it seems that Dixie Dean, an old time footballer (soccer) from the 20's and 30's with Everton F.C., is the accepted inspiration for the line. However, after looking into the Ginger Baker thread, watching a Jack Bruce video and finding out he was in the Blues Breakers for a minute before John McVie, then wondering who Hughie Flint (Blues Breaker drummer) is, I found this article about Dixie Dean-
[www.thebigfatcat.co.uk]
Quite a bit about the Stones, but here's the most interesting part to me-

In 1969, AKA, with long serving World In Action experience, were engaged by Granada TV to crew The Rolling Stones free concert in Hyde Park. ‘Stones In The Park’ is still a classic rock documentary. Director John Sheppard played a great part in putting that together. Dixie had the good fortune to focus-pull for Mike Dodds on the front of stage tracking camera.

After that came a succession of rock and roll assignments for AKA. Marc Bolan and Tyrannosaurus Rex, The Faces, Rod Stewart, Santana, Cat Stevens, Jethro Tull, Ian Anderson, The Who, the Beatles separately, John Lennon, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Dr. John, Stephen Stills and so on. But biggest of all was to have the amazing luck to work with the Rolling Stones on their pre-Sticky Fingers Tour of Europe in 1970. There was only one camera involved so it was never going to be a multi-camera shoot about the performances themselves. It seemed to be more a taste of life on the road, perhaps for the Stones’ own purposes. Dixie ended up in charge of sound most of the time as well as assisting cameraman Frank Simon as and when he needed it. ‘At some of the gigs the best place to base myself with the sound recorder was under Ian Stewart’s grand piano,’ Dixie remembers. ‘Stu was such an unassuming guy. Loved by everyone and sorely missed.’

With his Hasselblad and Nikon forever hanging round his neck, Dixie was sometimes ideally placed to get some great shots of The Stones at work. Although he travelled with them and stayed in the same hotels as them, Dixie however never encroached upon their privacy with his camera. An ‘Aardvark’ he was not!

Re: Dixie Dean-From Rip This Joint?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 22, 2014 08:50

Can we please now have an explanation of the Butter Queen?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 22, 2014 09:13

71Tele
Can we please now have an explanation of the Butter Queen?

I thought that was the name of a groupie.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 22, 2014 09:41

Yup. She did interesting things with butter (and for all I know, other dairy products, like Suzy Creamcheese).

I still find it hard to believe that the Dixie Dean in the song is the Everton player, but I don't have a better suggestion, other than shawnriffhard1's. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-22 09:42 by Aquamarine.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:44

shawnriffhard1
Has anyone noticed this guy before?

Shawnriffhard - this is fascinating! Thanks for posting. Love stuff like this -- makes more sense than a footballer!
This write-up has some great anecdotes.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 22, 2014 20:52

Interesting!
I'd love to see more from '70, my first Stones tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home