Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 16 of 18
Re: Tour Posters 2014 - 14 On Fire
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 17, 2014 19:46

Must admit I really love some of the tour posters, especially the windsurfing, surfing and shark posters. Oz really brings out the best in Stones artwork.

But, I am getting a bit tired of the tongue. Once it was Warhol hip , now it is ubiquitous and overused in the art. I'd like to see an artist dare NOT to use the icon and still capture something that is Rolling Stones.

Maybe it is a requirement, specified by Mick or his people, but it's starting to get a bit predictable, like the setlists. Anyhow, I'm not holding my breath. peace

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 17, 2014 21:35

Maindefender

Irix, any chance of adding Brisbane to this locale?

No Hi·Res-Image to find at the moment .... sad smiley

I hope they haven't read my Post - we should buy the Lithos, not download. winking smiley

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 17, 2014 22:33

Irix

I hope they haven't read my Post - we should buy the Lithos, not download. winking smiley

I completely agree. The resolution of the images we're seeing on the web, although lovely, are simply useless if printed out on any scale up.

And... point me to where I can buy a Hanging Rock poster (or two) and my money is all theirs!!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 18, 2014 00:05

Irix
Maindefender

No Hi·Res-Image to find at the moment .... sad smiley

Just an innocent scrapbook. I'm not that devious…lol

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 18, 2014 01:19

OK, you can see the not-shark poster at Bravado. This URL should work [rollingstones.shop.bravadousa.com]

And to clarify, whoever decided to call it a "Tidal Wave' design is clearly more than a little ignorant of the context.

The poster takes a nod towards the main pastime along the coast in that area - and that's SURFING. The wave is not a Tidal Wave (see below) but a surfing break. Duh!

Any design that took a tidal wave & flooding as its theme would have been in disasterously bad taste. It wasn't long ago that the entire city centre in Brisbane was flooded for a few weeks. And not long before that there was an immense rain event not far inland that caused incredible (and very fast) damage and resulted in the loss of many lives.

So, it's THE SURFING POSTER please in future folks!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: November 18, 2014 01:29

Date: November 18, 2014 04:07

The wave is not a Tidal Wave (see below) but a surfing break. Duh

Would have been cool to show someone on that fat wave getting "licked" or tubed in the throat..... peace

Date: November 18, 2014 15:05

Maindefender

Yes - now ... updated ! smiling smiley

Date: November 18, 2014 16:14

Irix
Maindefender

Yes - now ... updated ! smiling smiley

Thank you! Not lovin' Brisbane #2 so much yet. Auckland will be interesting!
I'm hoping for a Xmas bonus this year to buy several tee shirts…lol

Posted by: RoyalHue ()
Date: November 18, 2014 16:54

Naturalust

But, I am getting a bit tired of the tongue. Once it was Warhol hip , now it is ubiquitous and overused in the art. I'd like to see an artist dare NOT to use the icon and still capture something that is Rolling Stones.

Maybe it is a requirement, specified by Mick or his people, but it's starting to get a bit predictable, like the setlists. Anyhow, I'm not holding my breath. peace

That's an interesting point NL concerning the tongue. For good or bad, the tongue is really their brand. Can't be escaped. You can take away all type or wording from their posters and immediately identify it as a Rolling Stones poster. That's pretty powerful actually. An icon and image that is that recognizable on a global scale. As far as a poster design capturing that without the tongue's inclusion, that's a challenge. Being unpredictable, conveying a message, and embodying something visually is always going to be a challenge.

I agree it's predictable though. When I presented designs for some of the Europe shows, it was suggested to utilize the tongue, create concepts that connect to the specific locations and show themes of progress, advancement, etc... It wasn't a requirement per se to have the tongue, but it's inclusion does ensure more success for the design's approval. For an example, I did produce a design for the Stockholm show that had the tongue highly abstracted and reduced. It was cropped in a manner that made it barely recognizable from it's original form. I thought it looked pretty damn cool myself smiling smiley. They didn't choose the poster design for the show, but had me create a shirt design from it unrelated to the tour. So it's not impossible, but improbable I guess.

Personally I feel as long as there are artists there will be people pushing the envelope, whatever field that falls in.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 18, 2014 17:52

For instance a cool idea (imo) for Rome would have been The Stones as Roman Emporer cariactures standing by some ruins, or maybe riding in a chariot at the Circo. Just a thought. Wish I was an artist, then again I'd be too busy with all these crazy ideas.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 18, 2014 18:09

RoyalHue
I did produce a design for the Stockholm show that had the tongue highly abstracted and reduced. It was cropped in a manner that made it barely recognizable from it's original form. I thought it looked pretty damn cool myself smiling smiley. They didn't choose the poster design for the show, but had me create a shirt design from it unrelated to the tour.

Can we see those poster and shirt designs, RoyalHue? Please please if it won't get you in trouble!

The Voodoo Lounge merchandise downplayed the tongue pretty much - it was there, but that yellow creature was more prominent.
I thought that image was way cool and quite Stoned, but I'm not sure that was a majority view.

Date: November 18, 2014 18:16

Thanks RoyalHue for the post and inside artist information. I too would welcome a look at the art you created for posters and t-shirts.

If that is somehow not allowed, I'd love to see some of your other works!

peace

Date: November 18, 2014 18:45

Naturalust

I'd love to see some of your other works!

See here: Royal Hue Studio.

(Press the »Esc« Key if the Log-in window from Pinterest appears)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-18 18:50 by Irix.

Date: November 18, 2014 19:43

frankotero
For instance a cool idea (imo) for Rome would have been The Stones as Roman Emporer cariactures standing by some ruins, or maybe riding in a chariot at the Circo. Just a thought. Wish I was an artist, then again I'd be too busy with all these crazy ideas.

smiling smiley I like that roman caricature idea Frank. I imagine it being those white stone busts. Very epic... and would be very cool with a convincing execution.

Date: November 18, 2014 19:50

with sssoul
Can we see those poster and shirt designs, RoyalHue? Please please if it won't get you in trouble!

Yeah I definitely don't want no trouble haha. Thank you for reminding me though, I needed to follow up seeing about posting my designs that weren't chosen for Europe and Australia. I think some other designers have posted theirs, so I'll see what steps I need to take.

Date: November 18, 2014 20:10

RoyalHue

I think some other designers have posted theirs, so I'll see what steps I need to take.

Just ask Arian Buhler .... winking smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 18, 2014 20:25

Thank you for the compliment Royal Hue. Yes, you're right about the stone busts idea, done in animation as the official Rome Gig Litho. With a lot of Stones material and world history there's plenty could be done with a talented artist. That's my thought anyway. And thank you for your Stones work by the way.

Date: November 18, 2014 22:40

Irix
RoyalHue

I think some other designers have posted theirs, so I'll see what steps I need to take.

smiling smiley Yeah I know Arian, he's a really talented artist. Was pleased to hear he was designing for the tour. I worked with him a few years ago doing projects for Zion Rootswear. It looked like he was showing on his Facebook account the designs that actually got chosen Irix. Nonetheless, I thought I saw another designer somewhere posting his rejects. I could be completely wrong, but I'll see what I can do to post them.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 18, 2014 23:14

an original of that hanging rock poster is going to reach holy grail status shortly.

Posted by: Crazyhorse ()
Date: November 19, 2014 01:17

Irix
RoyalHue

Irix many thanks for posting this link. I have lithos designed by Arian on my walls and it's great to have a contact and know who worked on this great art for the Stones. Cheers

Posted by: SwayMT73 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 09:41

I've never seen these posters actually "posted" anywhere.

Date: November 19, 2014 22:04

[www.google.com]

Possible poster for Auckland?

Date: November 19, 2014 22:15

Maindefender

Maybe - if they use during the Show the inflatable ph****s again .... winking smiley

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 19, 2014 22:33

I've notice better t-shirts as well from Europe versus North America

Date: November 19, 2014 22:40

Irix
Maindefender

Maybe - if they use during the Show the inflatable ph****s again .... winking smiley

lol…. LA '75 is a different thread

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 20, 2014 04:00

Posted by: jamcas ()
Date: November 20, 2014 09:42

there are 2 designs for the Auckland litho

1) Kiwi Bird (as pictured above)

2) Black with Furn Tounge

jc

Date: November 20, 2014 13:06

Fantastic, glad I'm waiting till tours' end to purchase a couple shirts...

Date: November 20, 2014 13:45

The Kiwi-Bird Poster for Auckland has been designed by the Arian Buhler Design Studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 13:55 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718Next
Current Page: 16 of 18

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home