Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 17, 2014 09:48

I must admit that I think the whole rock'n roll scene, Rolling Stones in particular is really childish, and I really don't want to put on one of their albums if I have my girlfriend or any other friends in the same room. It's just so childish music and it's all about sex or drugs, most of it is just a PR stunt, especially what they put out the last 30 years when there's actually no drugs involved in the creating, which is pretty pathetic.
I prefer classical music, which has been made by real musicans; forcing themself to get even more creative as years go by, instead of trying to recreate their past

Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 17, 2014 09:55

Response to thread title: No.

Re: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 17, 2014 10:02

Erik_Snow
I must admit that I think the whole rock'n roll scene, Rolling Stones in particular is really childish, and I really don't want to put on one of their albums if I have my girlfriend or any other friends in the same room. It's just so childish music and it's all about sex or drugs, most of it is just a PR stunt, especially what they put out the last 30 years when there's actually no drugs involved in the creating, which is pretty pathetic.
I prefer classical music, which has been made by real musicans; forcing themself to get even more creative as years go by, instead of trying to recreate their past

I think you think too much. A bit less of it please.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: May 17, 2014 10:03

So I striked a nerve here, I see

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 17, 2014 10:05

I just see you trying to strike a nerve. winking smiley

Date: May 17, 2014 10:12

Not just for the sake of it; there is truth in my statement
Here's the greatest pianoplayer of our lifetime; Grigory Sokolov, playing a Beethoven piece that make the listener actually listen instead of just tapping his foot like a monkey, like Rolling Stones want us to do

Date: May 17, 2014 10:13

"you you you got me rocking now" Sure thing.....!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 17, 2014 10:14

You are right in what you say,Erik.

But I think most people go through periods where we play too much of a particular type of music ( rock,reggae even classical ) and go looking for some other type of music or even stop listening for a while.

Then by chance you hear a song and start thinking I will have to search that album out again.

Hope you are keeping ok.

Date: May 17, 2014 10:20

Erik_Snow

No you didn't, kindly do not flatter yourself. And it's "struck" .......... not "striked".

Date: May 17, 2014 10:23

paulywaul
Erik_Snow

No you didn't, kindly do not flatter yourself. And it's "struck" .......... not "striked".

In my book it's "striked". Thanks for your cooperation, Paul, now go have some lutefisk please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 10:31 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 17, 2014 10:25

Erik_Snow

This:

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 17, 2014 10:26

Piano?

Dinu Lipati

Date: May 17, 2014 10:41

Erik_Snow
paulywaul
Erik_Snow

In my book it's "striked". Thanks for your cooperation, Paul, now go have some lutefisk please

Well as an act of further cooperation, let me tell you that (a) your book is wrong, and (b) you can stick your lutefisk where it rightfully belongs ....... namely in a place where the sun most definitely does not shine.

And a good morning to you !

Date: May 17, 2014 10:46

Erik_Snow
Not just for the sake of it; there is truth in my statement
Here's the greatest pianoplayer of our lifetime; Grigory Sokolov, playing a Beethoven piece that make the listener actually listen instead of just tapping his foot like a monkey, like Rolling Stones want us to do

<<< playing a Beethoven piece that make the listener actually listen instead of just tapping his foot like a monkey, like Rolling Stones want us to do >>>

What a completely ridiculous statement, have you taken leave of your senses ? I don't know what you do when the Rolling Stones are playing live and on the boil, but I for one LISTEN !!

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: May 17, 2014 10:47

I don't think about it. I groove along to it:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 10:54 by muffie.

Date: May 17, 2014 10:57

paulywaul
What a completely ridiculous statement, have you taken leave of your senses ? I don't know what you do when the Rolling Stones are playing live and on the boil, but I for one LISTEN !!

While clapping your hands and tapping your foot. But let's be honest, there's not much to "listen" to, is it? It's not exactly intellectual sounds coming from the speakers

confused smileyRe: Anybody else here think that Rolling Stones and rock music in general is childish?
Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:02

Erik_Snow
paulywaul

While clapping your hands and tapping your foot. But let's be honest, there's not much to "listen" to, is it? It's not exactly intellectual sounds coming from the speakers

Not much to listen to? If you really mean that, you my friend are utterly clueless.

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:05

Is rock music childish? Maybe the texts are a little childish sometimes, but rock music is all about fun, and we love the music. I think that rock music is the best kind of music; it´s the most powerful music I know. I don´t want to say other kinds of music are bad; I hear really much kinds of music, for example blues, raggae, soul, jazz, even classical music sometimes. But rock music is just the king of music for me.

Btw: If you want demanding rock music, I recommend the Doors. Their lyrics aren´t as flat as the from many other rock bands. Finally, the Doors are my second favorite band after the Stones.

video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 11:06 by Kaisan.

Date: May 17, 2014 11:07

Erik_Snow
paulywaul

<<< It's not exactly intellectual sounds coming from the speakers >>>

I'm not remotely interested in intellect whilst listening to the Stones, I'm absorbing the delicious sounds coming off those guitars - especially when the whole band is on the boil.

Dear o dear. Somewhat pointless continuing this particular conversation. Have a great day ........ byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:10

I don't hear any difference between classical music and rock music... I listen to both and other genres too. What you mention is rather a prejudice then reality. If you hear such differences you don't listen carefully enough smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 11:11 by Adams.

Date: May 17, 2014 11:12

paulywaul
I'm absorbing the delicious sounds coming off those guitars - especially when the whole band is on the boil.

Which has never happened since 1978, my friend
Anyway you are right, Rolling Stones' music has nothing to do with intelligence, it's music for monkeys or people in "crowds" (people in crowds do not act as they would if being by themselves; whether it's a demonstration or a rock concert, you know that the crowd is going to act "as a crowd" only)

...and this was my point to begin with, so thanks for agreeing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 11:15 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:15

Erik_Snow
paulywaul
I'm absorbing the delicious sounds coming off those guitars - especially when the whole band is on the boil.

Which has never happened since 1978, my friend
Anyway you are right, Rolling Stones' music has nothing to do with intelligence, which was my point to begin with, so thanks for agreeing

I don't think the difference is in intelligence in any way. Different kinds of music might play on different emotions (not even different kinds of music but different pieces of music like songs or movements) but I would not go that far to say that sad or serious is more intelligent than fun or raunchy...

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:24

This line of thinking has all the desperation and insecurity of someone who was recently challenged by someone or something which revealed a deep lack of conviction in their own beliefs and likes, and consequently spun 180 deg. around to the most intellectual form of art they could handle (the pretentious bit about classical).

This is usually seen in 1st or 2nd year college students (mostly philosophy students) who come home on summer leave and begin spouting Nietsche or Plato or as in this case Beethoven (love all these cats by the way), to all the unwashed, un-enlightened "childish" folks back home. Hopefully, the light shines and they then realize the stupidity and immaturity of their holier than though viewpoint and calm down.

And furthermore, yes, striked is moronic, but to then stand by it and dig in when called on it exhibits a particularly strong strain of obstinate cluelessness.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 17, 2014 11:27

Erik_Snow

For the most part, yes, but I think it is a good thing to keep as much of the inner child intact as possible through adulthood until the day you die.

Childlike wonder is one of the most precious things in life.

Date: May 17, 2014 11:28

@His Majesty; and Odeon73; good points

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 11:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: May 17, 2014 11:31

shawnriffhard1
This line of thinking has all the desperation and insecurity of someone who was recently challenged by someone or something which revealed a deep lack of conviction in their own beliefs and likes, and consequently spun 180 deg. around to the most intellectual form of art they could handle (the pretentious bit about classical).

This is usually seen in 1st or 2nd year college students (mostly philosophy students) who come home on summer leave and begin spouting Nietsche or Plato or as in this case Beethoven (love all these cats by the way), to all the unwashed, un-enlightened "childish" folks back home. Hopefully, the light shines and they then realize the stupidity and immaturity of their holier than though viewpoint and calm down.

And furthermore, yes, striked is moronic, but to then stand by it and dig in when called on it exhibits a particularly strong strain of obstinate cluelessness.

You are one of the smelly "macho men" walking around in motorbike-west who we all know is a lonesome peasant being into town for one weekend, aren't you ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-17 11:33 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 17, 2014 12:23

Lovely weather here today. Sun is shining.

Have a great day all.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 17, 2014 12:44

His Majesty
For the most part, yes, but I think it is a good thing to keep as much of the inner child intact as possible through adulthood until the day you die.

+1

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 17, 2014 12:54

Adams
I don't hear any difference between classical music and rock music... I listen to both and other genres too. What you mention is rather a prejudice then reality. If you hear such differences you don't listen carefully enough smiling smiley

Yes! Spot on! smileys with beer

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 17, 2014 13:01

Pop is definitely childish, rock is more teenish imo.

As long as rock fans accept the reality that there are musical forms that are FAR above what they usually listen to, and that consequently, they're worthless ignorant forms of life, that's alright by me.

Long live Pierre Boulez and Penderecki! >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home