Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Satanic Majesties Reimagined
Posted by: funkydrummer ()
Date: May 15, 2014 15:55

Hey There

I am a frequent reader of Tell Me, but I have never posted here before. Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time on this project - Satanic Majesties Reimagined.

Having previously remixed some of the Satanic Sessions tracks, I had always wanted to create a "better" TSMR. I have performed various forms of trickery to make this a good continuous listen that also brought back in many of the very interesting instrumentals that were never used...
OK - inclusion of Child of the Moon is contentious - but as they worked on this around the time of TSMR and is on Satanic Sessions, I took the liberty of including - tried to make an acoustic version using vox from studio version - but didn't sound great...so anyway...

The playlist was devised as if it was (roughly) two twenty minute sides - Hence Side Two intro.
Here is the (imaginary LP) track list:

Side 1
01 Sing This All Together [Edit]
02 2000 Light Years rom Home
03 In AnotherLand [Remix]
04 5 Part Jam[ Part1] Interlude
05 Dandelion-5 Part Jam [Part2]
06 Child of the Moon
07 5 Part Jam [Part5] Interlude – Gomper [Edit]
08 Sing This All Together [Reprise]

Side 2

09 “Side 2” Intro[Untitled Instrumental]
10 On With The Show
11 5 Part Jam [Part3] Interlude
12 2000 Man
13 Gold Painted Nails [Interlude]
14 She's ARainbow
15 Citadel
16 GoldPaintedNails[Edit]
17 TheLantern [Remix]
18 MajestiesHonkyTonk [Edit-Outro]

Makes for a much stronger album - and they had all of this at their disposal!
Make sure you listen to it gapless between tracks!

Here is the link

[www.firedrive.com]

As We Love You was left off - here is a bonus track

We Love You (Vocal Extract) - you can really hear the Fabs great backing vox esp on "you will love we too"
[www.firedrive.com]
(there is a download button in top right corner)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 21:33 by funkydrummer.

Re: Satanic Majesties Reimagined
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 15, 2014 16:18

Wow - always great to hear re-imagings of classic albums. I'll check this out when I get home later. Thanks for sharing funkydrummer.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 15, 2014 16:26

I will look forward to hear your album!

But, I have never understood the connection with Satanic / Child Of The Moon.
It was a Jimmy Miller produced b-side and was recorded in 1968.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 15, 2014 21:06

That's pretty good but i'd definitely have We Love You on there and has anyone else listened to In Another Land from the LP but at 45 rpm. It's great.

Date: May 15, 2014 21:20

You are of course, right - yes We Love You should be on there - and it was on my first version I did...I was just happy with this running order, so I left it.
As Child of the Moon is questionable - perhaps We Love You could and should replace it.
I will check out In Another Land at 45! Thanks!

ash
That's pretty good but i'd definitely have We Love You on there and has anyone else listened to In Another Land from the LP but at 45 rpm. It's great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 21:29 by funkydrummer.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2014 21:29

Is this reimagining actually remixed, or just new songs/sequencing?

You mention trying an acoustic version of Child of the Moon so I was just curious.

Date: May 15, 2014 21:36

Hi There

I have tried to "remix"/re-edit various tracks to give a new perspective - of course besides Satanic Sessions, I have only the official sources to play with to create special "extract" mixes...Did the best I could under the circumstances, so it is not just resequencing...The reason why Child of the Moon ended up there is because I wanted to try and mix the vox from official release with acoustic first version from Satanic Sessions - but the vox extract was just a bit too artefact-y to make it work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 21:39 by funkydrummer.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 15, 2014 21:41

Not being a huge fan of Satanic Majesties -- and never having the interest to plow through Satanic Sessions boots -- I think this looks like a pretty nice project. Will check it out!

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 15, 2014 21:48

Sounds good - except to me Sing This All Together always continues with Citadel winking smiley

Date: May 15, 2014 21:56

Well yeah - but the way I structured this was to give tracks a new context and it sounds less like a "Sgt Pepper copy" and more indicative of the really interesting instrumental work they were doing - I actually have always maligned the fact that once the Stones got into open tuning and milked that to death for the rest of their careers (hey it produced dividends as we know - but also stagnation too - which has always bugged me), they really never got quite as experimental again...

Single Malt
Sounds good - except to me Sing This All Together always continues with Citadel winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 21:59 by funkydrummer.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 15, 2014 22:23

Can anyone recommend a decent flac converter?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 15, 2014 22:25

They didn't work on Child of the Moon during 1967.

Date: May 15, 2014 22:42

OK - well, in regard to Child of the Moon early versions are claimed to have been recorded in 1967 and the "rmk" (remake) version in early 1968...the acoustic version on SS is pretty much the same as the "rmk" except it is acoustic.
Of course there is no way to verify for sure and Stones books have speculated...
Child of the Moon seems to be the bridge between psychedelia and Beggars...more former than latter.
Yes there is open tuning on it - and perhaps this was Keith's first foray before getting stuck in from 68 to present...
Child of the Moon works better with TSMR than Beggars - as it is in "psychedelic" mode. So it is poetic license...just to see what it would sound like in this context.

Date: May 15, 2014 22:44

TheBadRabbit

Trader's Little Helper?
[tlh.easytree.org]

Date: May 15, 2014 22:56

Rmk doesn't stand for "remake".

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 15, 2014 23:09

funkydrummer
OK - well, in regard to Child of the Moon early versions are claimed to have been recorded in 1967 and the "rmk" (remake) version in early 1968...the acoustic version on SS is pretty much the same as the "rmk" except it is acoustic.
Of course there is no way to verify for sure and Stones books have speculated...
Child of the Moon seems to be the bridge between psychedelia and Beggars...more former than latter.
Yes there is open tuning on it - and perhaps this was Keith's first foray before getting stuck in from 68 to present...
Child of the Moon works better with TSMR than Beggars - as it is in "psychedelic" mode. So it is poetic license...just to see what it would sound like in this context.

But by 'poetic license' one can also imagine that they postponed the release of SATANIC MAJESTIES by a couple of months, and thereby the inclusion of "Child of The Moon" is justified....grinning smiley

(And yeah, the idea of the song being a bridge between psychedelia and BEGGARS sounds just fine... right, His Majesty?winking smiley)

An interesting project!thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 23:10 by Doxa.

Date: May 15, 2014 23:10

funkydrummer

RMK is just an abkco thing they stuck on for what ever reason. It's nothing to do with the stones or the original single release.

COTM sits in nicely with other tracks recorded around the same time, ie Jigsaw Puzzle, Street Fighting Man (more so with Pay Your Dues ) and JJF. There's a connection between them all that is related to TSMR, but there are also differences in focus etc.

The few acoustic takes which appear on Satanic Sessions box sets are open D as is the single release... all from spring 1968.

Date: May 15, 2014 23:14

Doxa

But by 'poetic license' one can also imagine that they postponed the release of SATANIC MAJESTIES by a couple of months, and thereby the inclusion of "Child of The Moon" is justified....grinning smiley

- Doxa

If that's the case then a good chunck of Beggars Banquet era tracks can be included as part of a re-imagined TSMR. grinning smiley

Date: May 15, 2014 23:18

Not knocking your project, I look forward to hearing it. thumbs up

I'll cut out COTM before I listen though. grinning smiley

Date: May 15, 2014 23:21

I'd be interested to know what the "rmk" stands for, if it isn't remake.
I realise the history behind this argument - but it makes perfect sense as they re-made the track.
Anyway, if you are not happy with that - switch it for We Love You - but to me Child of the Moon sounds very much in keeping with the TSMR tracks...
Unless we get a proper Stones recording sessions book from actual archives, then we'll never known for sure!

His Majesty
funkydrummer

RMK is just an abkco thing they stuck on for what ever reason. It's nothing to do with the stones or the original single release.

COTM sits in nicely with other tracks recorded around the same time, ie Jigsaw Puzzle, Street Fighting Man (more so with Pay Your Dues ) and JJF. There's a connection between them all that is related to TSMR, but there are also differences in focus etc.

The few acoustic takes which appear on Satanic Sessions box sets are open D as is the single release... all from spring 1968.

Date: May 15, 2014 23:24

OK! No problem - thanks for listening - it is just for fun...

His Majesty
Not knocking your project, I look forward to hearing it. thumbs up

I'll cut out COTM before I listen though. grinning smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 15, 2014 23:28

No jams whatsoever. That's what makes the released LP inferior.

Simply remove "See What Happens" and add We Love You and Dandelion. Bingo! Instant classic. I would also include Child of the Moon. They wrote it and worked on it in '67. Good enough for me.

Date: May 15, 2014 23:32

His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

If that's the case then a good chunck of Beggars Banquet era tracks can be included as part of a re-imagined TSMR. grinning smiley

SATANIC BANQUET...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 15, 2014 23:39

71Tele
I would also include Child of the Moon. They wrote it and worked on it in '67.

They didn't.

Date: May 15, 2014 23:43

71Tele

Simply remove "See What Happens" and add We Love You and Dandelion. Bingo! Instant classic. .

If Oldham would still had been producing them (and the Beatles not having released SGT. PEPPER as a cohesive artistic statement), most likely the American version of SATANIC MAJESTIES had been like that.

Actually, what bothers me is that they were so hurry to release FLOWERS to milk out the summer of love. If they had waited two months and included the new single "We Love You"/"Dandelion" on it - and removed already album-used "Ruby Tuesday"/"Let's Spend The Night Together" - the whole album would have looked and dated much better, and not being just an artificial collection, as it is seen today.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-15 23:49 by Doxa.

Date: May 15, 2014 23:51

funkydrummer
I realise the history behind this argument - but it makes perfect sense as they re-made the track.

They re-made loads of tracks, it's silly to think they'd highlight that for one song. It's not something that came from or has anything to do with the stones and their naming of the song.

There's various crossovers between 1967 and 1968, Gold Painted Nails could have easily have been worked in to Beggars as could other tracks without the many overdubs and 1967 lyrics.

COTM being from 1967 is just a misconception that keeps getting repeated.

Date: May 16, 2014 00:07

Yes they re-made a number of tracks, but just so happened that COTM had the rmk attached to it (and was mistakenly left on by ABKCO).

It would make practical sense to consider that Child of the Moon (first acoustic version as heard on SS boot is the "first" version - although I agree that we can't be sure this is 1967) and electric is remake made at the new sessions in March 1968. Until we have verification, that I what I have chosen to believe, over the years because it makes sense. Again we don't actually know - but lyrically COTM has always belonged to TSMR rather than Beggars - it is also "orphaned" and I would never, for example include Jigsaw Puzzle, because that had an album outlet - BB.

Child of the Moon has psychedelic Beatles-style vox - I don't subscribe to the "Rain" copy that some have - I think that unfair...but to me - it signifies the last movement of the mid-60s "hippy" stuff...

Again - this makes sense to me, and to many others and hence the relationship that COTM has with TSMR for many Stones fans.

Also Stones researchers like Aeppli and others also refer to COTM being recorded in 1967 - [aeppli.ch]

Again, we are all guessing, and none of us actually know for sure!

His Majesty
funkydrummer

They re-made loads of tracks, it's silly to think they'd highlight that for one song. It's not something that came from or has anything to do with the stones and their naming of the song.

There's various crossovers between 1967 and 1968, Gold Painted Nails could have easily have been worked in to Beggars as could other tracks without the many overdubs and 1967 lyrics.

COTM being from 1967 is just a misconception that keeps getting repeated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-16 00:13 by funkydrummer.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 16, 2014 00:10

funkydrummer
TheBadRabbit

Trader's Little Helper?
[tlh.easytree.org]

Thanks, funkydrummer! That did the trick.

Date: May 16, 2014 00:28

funkydrummer
Yes they re-made a number of tracks, but just so happened that COTM had the rmk attached to it (and was mistakenly left on by ABKCO).

It would make practical sense to consider that Child of the Moon (first acoustic version as heard on SS boot is the "first" version - although I agree that we can't be sure this is 1967) and electric is remake made at the new sessions in March 1968. Until we have verification, that I what I have chosen to believe, over the years because it makes sense. Again we don't actually know - but lyrically COTM has always belonged to TSMR rather than Beggars - it is also "orphaned" and I would never, for example include Jigsaw Puzzle, because that had an album outlet - BB.

Child of the Moon has psychedelic Beatles-style vox - I don't subscribe to the "Rain" copy that some have - I think that unfair...but to me - it signifies the last movement of the mid-60s "hippy" stuff...

Again - this makes sense to me, and to many others and hence the relationship that COTM has with TSMR for many Stones fans.

Also Stones researchers like Aeppli and others also refer to COTM being recorded in 1967 - [aeppli.ch]

Again, we are all guessing, and none of us actually know for sure!

]

ABKCO didn't mistakenly leave RMK on, they added it. It has nothing to do with remake or the stones.

The acoustic takes are from spring 1968, Jimmy Miller can be heard talking on them.

COTM is not orphaned, it's the b side to Jumpin' Jack Flash.

There is, as far as i am aware, not one mention of Child Of The Moon in 1967, not one test pressing or acetate from 1967 featuring early versions like there are for other 1967 tracks nor any indication from anyone involved that it was even attempted in 1967.

Again, it's a misconception that keeps getting repeated.

Also, researchers and their books etc tend to copy from one another hence why mis-information can spread through even the most respected of stones sites etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-16 00:37 by His Majesty.

Date: May 16, 2014 00:34

Doxa
His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

SATANIC BANQUET...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Beggars' Request!

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2064
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home