Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Time is on my side - time to bring it back!
Posted by: Infamy ()
Date: May 4, 2014 19:56

I guess it is time for the Stones to start rehearsing for Europe. Only three weeks left before the tour starts in Oslo on the 26. So please bring back this song that was done so amazingly in 1981-82. This is my wifes favourite song by the Stones(yes, I`ve told her that the Stones didn`t write it), and Berlin will be her first Stones show ever. I think it will sound fantastic in 2014. Please bring it back.
[url=

][/url]

Ray
15 and counting. No stopping. Stockholm next.

Re: Time is on my side - time to bring it back!
Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: May 4, 2014 20:05

Time Is On My Side is a great track, and I hope the Stones will play it again soon. But there are many other great songs I want to hear again. ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 20:17 by Kaisan.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 4, 2014 21:13

It is one of my All time favourite song by the Stones!!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 4, 2014 21:57

They should open with it, or maybe have it as the first encore.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 4, 2014 22:02

As John Lennon said, you have the old records if you want to be nostalgic. Hard to believe anything exceptional would come of them performing this old chestnut, as much as I wish otherwise.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 4, 2014 22:36

In live performance, even from the earliest days, they never seemed to have eclipsed the studio version. As a slower number, it would have to be placed somewhere in the middle to later part of the set list, and if they do have a slow tempo song it is likely to be an original rather than a cover. Plus, it requires the band to provide backing vocals, and this was the element that was missing from the 1981/82 version. Even in their Ed Sullivan appearance (second clip) the backing vocals were a bit off.

Date: May 4, 2014 22:46

They rehearsed it for the Licks tour, no?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 5, 2014 01:20

stonehearted

Plus, it requires the band to provide backing vocals, and this was the element that was missing from the 1981/82 version.

Well, Keith provided them, but with such a bad success that they need to use over-dubbed ones for official bootleg decades later...grinning smiley

Anyway, Keith's (dubbed) rough but well-timed vocals in STILL LIFE version are wonderful, perfectly fitting to the song then. Matches beautifully with Mick's. Great version altogether.

But, of course, today they wouldn't have any problems providing backing vocals, they have hired hands for that.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-05 01:22 by Doxa.

Date: May 5, 2014 01:25

Are you sure they were overdubbed?

Date: May 5, 2014 02:06

DandelionPowderman
Are you sure they were overdubbed?

Rather sure. If memory serves, that was discussed around the time official HAMPTON '81 was released. What we can hear there is different than what we can hear and see in the original footage and bootleg. And they still are different than the ones in STILL LIFE.

From what I can remember from the bootlegs I've heard (not every gig though), Keith didn't use the effective timing trick - Mick starting the title phrase alone ("TI-II-I..."), and then joined by Keith a little decisive moment later ("TIIIIME") - during the live shows in 1981 at all, but they rushed to it together (from the second verse on, when Keith comes in). This genious little arrangement idea seemingly occurred when they did over-dubs to STILL LIFE. Besides, from the base of bootlegs I've heard, Keith's back vocals are much, much rougher and less in tune as he does both in STILL LIFE and official HAMPTON.

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 5, 2014 02:14

Very very interesting Doxa! Please post examples, ill try to find some too.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 5, 2014 08:06

Interesting indeed!!!

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 5, 2014 14:06

Loved the '81 version and still feel it was a highlight of those shows. Keith's version with the Winos was also great.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 5, 2014 15:05

Great live song....they haven't played it in quite a while!
These kind of suggestions are the ones more apt to be considered....cool smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 5, 2014 15:06

damn right they should bring it back .i would love to hear keef do the solo again

Date: May 5, 2014 19:36

Okay, let's go back to the issue I brought up yesterday... I gave a little listen to the versions, and noticed some funny little things...

The presupposition - fact? - is that the STILL LIFE version is the same version as HAMPTON '81, or that the version in album derives from that date (Keith's birthday). Here is STILL LIFE version, the official video

I initially talked about Keith, but Jagger took my attention now, so I skip Keith's wonderful back vocs now, sorry...

Note that Jagger begins the song, after singing the chorus line:

"searching for good times,
just wait and see
"

Which is the second verse in original 1964 version. Instead in HAMPTON he starts the song 'properly', that is, by 'you always say/that you want to be free' (listen the version in first post). But things get interesting when in HAMPTON he is supposed to sing the second verse, he screws up it mildy by mixing the the second and third verses (of the original):

"searching for the real love
just wait and see"

But, for example, earlier in Seattle, he skipped most of it:

"searching for the real love
the kind that you need"

where only reminder of the second verse is "searching for", and nothing else...

In Leeds, following year, he doesn't sing the second verse at all, but two times the third one...grinning smiley

So, funny thing is that for STILL LIFE release Jagger decided to edit a verse that he didn't sing properly at all in any of those three concerts, and against all of them, he even starts the song by it! Jaggerian humor?!!grinning smiley

So the point - so far - is that Jagger's vocals aren't original, at least as far as the first verse goes.... edited from some other concert in which he managed to get them right or, most likely, over-dubbed...?

- Doxa

P.S. Finally got those damn colors right!grinning smiley

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-05 20:22 by Doxa.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 6, 2014 02:00

Hi Doxa, I was going to mention the same thing about the first verse of Time on Still Life. When I first bought the album in 82, I immediately wondered why he sang that verse instead of the original. Then I saw the Hampton clip of the PPV and saw that it was the exact same music but he sang the correct opening verse.
After that, I still wondered why they overdubbed the correct verse.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 6, 2014 02:02

Doxa
stonehearted

Plus, it requires the band to provide backing vocals, and this was the element that was missing from the 1981/82 version.

Well, Keith provided them, but with such a bad success that they need to use over-dubbed ones for official bootleg decades later...grinning smiley

I'll have to disagree. His back up vocals are rough, raw and totally Keef, but that is what I like about them. Loved the version posted in the OP.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 6, 2014 03:19

Here's a crazy idea: How about a live Stones album with no overdubs at all? You know, a live album.

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: May 6, 2014 04:29

JumpingKentFlash
They should open with it, or maybe have it as the first encore.

This..^

Before the Steel Wheels tour all my Stones friends were guessing what song they would open with and none of us guessed "Start me up" in hindsight it was so obvious and I feel "Time is on my side" would be the perfect opening song as well....

Date: May 6, 2014 07:31

jazzbass
Doxa
stonehearted

I'll have to disagree. His back up vocals are rough, raw and totally Keef, but that is what I like about them. Loved the version posted in the OP.

I don't disagree with you at all... Keith's original rough back vocs are just fine, and suits very well, but seemingly they didn't think so...

- Doxa

Date: May 6, 2014 08:52

71Tele
Here's a crazy idea: How about a live Stones album with no overdubs at all? You know, a live album.

Try SAL smiling smiley

Date: May 6, 2014 08:54

Great observations, Doxa! There was something fishy about this version, I just couldn't point my finger at it smiling smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 6, 2014 09:05

Thank you Doxa very interesting reading on my daily commute. And yes please bring back this song!

Date: May 7, 2014 10:04

onestep

Yes, onestep, that is just what I was hoping for. That they would consider our suggestion. It`s been 32 years since it was last performed. Come on: play Time is on my side! >grinning smiley<

Ray

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 7, 2014 16:34

Infamy
I guess it is time for the Stones to start rehearsing for Europe. Only three weeks left before the tour starts in Oslo on the 26. So please bring back this song that was done so amazingly in 1981-82. This is my wifes favourite song by the Stones(yes, I`ve told her that the Stones didn`t write it), and Berlin will be her first Stones show ever. I think it will sound fantastic in 2014. Please bring it back.
[url=

][/url][/quote]

Keith sounds like an actual moose on that clip. Fantastic all the same however.

Date: May 7, 2014 21:30

Oh yeah, the issue of over-dubs was discussed at the time of official HAMPTON release: [www.iorr.org]

I should have checked that thread earlier before started 'investigating' the issue again... But this all is labor of love, in the end... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: May 18, 2014 18:24

Infamy
onestep

Yes, onestep, that is just what I was hoping for. That they would consider our suggestion. It`s been 32 years since it was last performed. Come on: play Time is on my side! >grinning smiley<

It`s the first time I have quoted myself. smiling smiley I do that because I have to correct my earlier statement. Looks like it`s not 32, but only 16 years since it was last played in 1998. Where was that, anyway?

Ray

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: May 22, 2014 23:53

Yeah that would really be something 71Tele. Rough as hell I bet and then we'd really see just how sloppy our boys truly are. I love the sloppiness though and think the rough vocals on Still Life make the entire record. Like an out of control twisted freight train.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home