Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Potentially wonderful Wilko Johnson news
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 30, 2014 15:47

It seems Wilko has undergone last-gasp surgery in Cambridge to remove his tumour after it was found to be slightly less malignant than most pancreatic cancers. By the sounds of it, there's a long way to go, but definitely more than a glimmer of hope.

[www.gq-magazine.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-30 22:48 by bv.

Re: (Potentially) wonderful Wilko Johnson news
Posted by: djgab ()
Date: April 30, 2014 16:44

thank you
powerful reading !

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 30, 2014 18:19

Really great news. Let's hope he lives to a ripe old age and makes many more great albums like the current one with Roger Daltrey. thumbs up

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:38

good news.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 30, 2014 20:55

All possible good wishes to a very brave man.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 30, 2014 22:29

You reminded me to download Going Back Home, which I just did. I so hope everything works out well for this wonderful man.

Edit: Great God Almighty, that's a terrific album!

And their whole show together is also on Youtube!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 08:58 by Aquamarine.

Re: OT: Potentially wonderful Wilko Johnson news
Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 1, 2014 12:42

Such amazing news! Really hoping he can make a full recovery. Was planning to see him in Dublin at the end of the month. Can't get a refund on the flights, so a night out in Dublin is still on the cards. Have had difficulties with refunds from Ticketmaster in Ireland before, so we'll see how it goes. They're still selling tickets for the cancelled gig!

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: May 1, 2014 13:02

Really good news - hope we will hear more great songs by him. I wish him the best!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 1, 2014 13:17

Hopeful news indeed !

If you have a god, say some prayers for Wilco .

If not...just cross your fingers for him.
[I have...and my toes.]

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 1, 2014 14:23

Aquamarine
You reminded me to download Going Back Home, which I just did. I so hope everything works out well for this wonderful man.

Edit: Great God Almighty, that's a terrific album!

It really is. I saw Steve Weston, who plays harp on it, with Muddy Waters' son in Twickenham last week. Stunning player. Daltrey and Wilko are no slouches either. I know Wilko has a lot of long-term fans both on this board and in general, but for others - including many of the younger generation, such as myself - it's kind of a shame that it took Wilko getting ill to wake us up to his music and what a fantastic guitarist he is. Better late than never, of course.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 9, 2014 18:54

Great news coming from the Who's Facebook page:

I'm pleased to tell you that I had a progress report this afternoon from Lisa Climie, Wilko's manager:
Official Statement: Wilko Johnson
Doctors caring for Wilko at Addenbrookes hospital, have said they are extremely pleased with the way he has recovered post op despite the magnitude and complexity of his 9 hour operation. He has been complication free so far and has made what they describe as 'rapid progress'. Although still early days in his recovery Doctors are very encouraged by the extent of his progress.
Wilko, his family and friends thank everyone for their well wishes and support at this time.

Date: May 10, 2014 00:20

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up

Date: May 10, 2014 15:00

And this one comes from Wilko's FB page:

"A picture speaks a thousand words: Sally Zambonini has shared this photo of her son Antonio with Wilko. It was taken at Addenbrooke's Hospital yesterday. Thanks Sally, and what a great photo!"

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: May 10, 2014 20:16

smiling smiley

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: May 10, 2014 22:00

Wilko was already walking 2 days after the surgery. He's made of Iron.

Date: May 10, 2014 23:23

No kidding. What an amazing guy--I hope he's now got many more years to look forward to!

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: May 11, 2014 08:40

Does anybody have the concert in london with roger daltrey to share? Any link? Thanks

Date: May 11, 2014 08:42

Date: May 11, 2014 20:21

From Motor City to Oil City: Coming soon, Wilko will be appearing on three tracks on a forthcoming album by The Mutants.
Pictured is MC5 legend Wayne Kramer - a big influence on Wilko back in the day - who also appears, along with Norman on bass and Rat Scabies on drums. The album is produced by Chris Constantinou.

[themutants.co]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 13, 2014 14:26

rock on Wilko!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 13, 2014 15:18

smiling smileyThe above encouraging news has made my day

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: May 13, 2014 18:11

What a wonderful surprise, god bless Wilko.

It's been said several hundred times here, once more: Going Back Home really is a terrific record.

Date: May 13, 2014 18:24

cbtaco19
What a wonderful surprise, god bless Wilko.

It's been said several hundred times here, once more: Going Back Home really is a terrific record.

Yes, and it seems there's another album on the way:

"The Who's Roger Daltrey has said he will record another album with Wilko Johnson if the former Dr Feelgood guitarist recovers from cancer surgery.

Johnson was given 10 months to live after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the end of 2012.

But he defied the doctors' predictions and had major surgery two weeks ago.

He recently recorded an album with Daltrey, who said: "He's in hospital. He's been in and out for two weeks, he's doing really well."

The pair's album Going Back Home has been in the UK top 20 since it was released at the end of March.

Speaking at the Radio Academy Awards in London on Monday, The Who singer said his collaborator had "thought he would be dead last October".

Going Back Home
The album features original songs
Johnson's pioneering nine-hour operation involved the removal of his tumour, pancreas, spleen, part of his stomach and small and large intestines as well as the removal and reconstruction of blood vessels relating to the liver.

Daltrey continued: "He's lost an awful lot of his body, but he's still here. Which is one up from being dead.

"He's getting out of bed and grunting, which is exhilarating for him I'm sure, and we look forward to him making a full recovery.

"It's going to take a long, long time. But if he does we're going to make part two of the record that we rushed out."

Asked whether Johnson could fully recover, Daltrey replied: "There is a chance, but it's an operation that's never been tried before. He's an experiment. His whole life has been an experiment."

After the surgery, Johnson's manager Lisa Climie said his medical team were "happy with his condition".

She said: "Although cautiously optimistic the team have to stress that it is very early days yet."

[www.bbc.com]

Date: May 21, 2014 23:01

I recently bought the LP version of Goin' back home.
It's a little more pricey than usual new LP but it really worths it.
It's really well made, the sound is terrific.
For me, soundwise this one is as good as YaYa and better than the recent Eagle releases (Sweet summer sun, live in texas ...)

I always wonder why some vynil are better made than other.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 1, 2014 23:59

Wilko 'Goes Back Home'!
We're sure you will be as delighted as we are that after making excellent progress at Addenbrooke's over the last few weeks, Wilko is now convalescing back at his home.
Naturally after such an extensive procedure, Wilko is extremely tired, and it will take him some time to recuperate, so he asks that you respect his privacy, but we had to share this incredibly positive news.
On behalf of Wilko and his family, another huge thank you for your magnificent support over recent months - it really means a great deal to Wilko - and please join us in thanking the staff at Addenbrooke's for everything they have achieved in some extremely difficult circumstances.
Please watch this space for further news ...

[www.facebook.com]

smileys with beer

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: June 2, 2014 00:13

hot smiley hot smiley

Date: June 6, 2014 19:04

Date: June 6, 2014 19:16

thanks for the news
all the best for Wilko's health

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 6, 2014 22:01

Good on yer Wilko. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 6, 2014 22:15

Always good to hear positive news about Wilco, really hope his recovery continues.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home