Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Listening to : Wandering Spirit
Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: April 26, 2014 13:44

Screw it:

I freaking love this album, always thought it was his best offering outside of the band

Re: Listening to : Wandering Spirit
Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 26, 2014 14:03

Yes, fantastic album... Wired all night ^^

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 26, 2014 14:16

When it came out in '93 it was the best Rolling Sones album in years.
And at this moment it's fair to say WS is the last really good Stones album.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 26, 2014 14:37

Great production great sound....wonder how ABB got so bad

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 26, 2014 14:52

I need to confess that I actually listen more PRIMITIVE COOL than WANDERING SPIRIT... not that it is a better album, but, how can I say, more interesting, like SATANIC MAJESTIES of the 80's...

- Doxa

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: April 26, 2014 15:03

Freakin' awesome album! I agree it is the strongest album of anything involving the Stones since the 70's. Love it!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 26, 2014 15:04

To me WANDERING SPIRIT is Mick Jagger displaying that he was able to make Rolling Stones' kind of music outside the Rolling Stones. And he confirms his ability wonderfully with the album's fine material. My only problem with that kind of material, given the band's existence, is that then I miss the band.That is my only objection, but somehow my missing the band strangely reduces this wonderful album somewhat to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-26 15:05 by Witness.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 26, 2014 15:06

Should be issued in a deluxe format with the blues sessions on Disc 2.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: April 26, 2014 15:07

Wandering Spirit is a classic. Would have been the best Stones album since who knows when if Mick had done it with them.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 26, 2014 15:54

One of my favorite albums

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 26, 2014 16:58

GOO
Great production great sound....wonder how ABB got so bad

ABB isn't bad compared to the 80's stuff.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: April 26, 2014 17:43

Great album indeed! Love the live Webster Hall 93 gig even more. MEZ

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 26, 2014 17:55

Witness, I understand what you're saying but I totally disagree; for me, it shows that ONE STONE can be as strong and creative as the band collectively when that ONE is MICK JAGGER! It should not diminish the pleasure you get from listening to this great collection of songs. I've always loved Wandering Spirit and play it in my car all the time. It has an amazing groove, the tracks flow right into each other....LOVE IT! There must have been a good reason for Mick to do this one on his own, and you have to understand that at that level of creativity, there are times when you want to step outside of your comfort zone and strut your own stuff...especially when the material you've created is so powerful.smileys with beer

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 26, 2014 18:42

WS is really good and far outshines Keith's Main Offender album. I see what you are saying about Mick stepping out and strutting his ownstuff but man with keith in fine form on the guitar in his right they could have made one hell of a Stones album at that time! MO sounds unfinished and I'm sure Mick could have helped finishing some of those tracks and it would have been interesting to hear keith on Don't Tear Me Up which is a song that begs for Keith to be playing on it.

Posted by: johnypar ()
Date: April 27, 2014 01:10

slew
WS is really good and far outshines Keith's Main Offender album. I see what you are saying about Mick stepping out and strutting his ownstuff but man with keith in fine form on the guitar in his right they could have made one hell of a Stones album at that time! MO sounds unfinished and I'm sure Mick could have helped finishing some of those tracks and it would have been interesting to hear keith on Don't Tear Me Up which is a song that begs for Keith to be playing on it.

fully agree, however, then Don Was would produce it ;-(

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 27, 2014 01:48

My most listened to Stones disc after GHS. A masterpiece, massively underrated.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 27, 2014 01:55

Powerage
Yes, fantastic album... Wired all night ^^

+1

Posted by: Sam4741 ()
Date: April 27, 2014 04:42

Could've been a great Stones album. So many good songs on here.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: April 27, 2014 05:41

It could never have been a Stones album.
Firstly, it's got Jagger's print all over it. Secondly, the band are a tighter unit than the Stones and plays very differently. Thirdly, Keith would have had a say in the album and have his songs on it as well.

But, it's true that many songs on this album could have made it onto a Stones album and would have suited them. "Don't Tear Me Up" begs for Keith's guitar and Charlie's drums.

As I think Voodoo Lounge were quite a strong album, one can only imagine it as a true masterpiece, had Jagger kept these songs for the Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-27 05:42 by Blueranger.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 27, 2014 06:14

tomcasagranda
Should be issued in a deluxe format with the blues sessions on Disc 2.

AMEN BROTHER. smileys with beer

Go ahead and skip to 37:17...

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 27, 2014 17:03

And the boot from Webster Hall shows how well the songs work in a live setting, with Mick actually singing and seemingly very into it. Also found it interesting that the couple of Stones track that band performed live stayed far away from 'warhorses'....Rip This Joint, Live With Me and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby.

Made me wonder if it is Mick that pushes the warhorse-dominated sets or Keith.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 27, 2014 17:48

buffalo7478
And the boot from Webster Hall shows how well the songs work in a live setting, with Mick actually singing and seemingly very into it. Also found it interesting that the couple of Stones track that band performed live stayed far away from 'warhorses'....Rip This Joint, Live With Me and Have You Seen Your Mother Baby.

Made me wonder if it is Mick that pushes the warhorse-dominated sets or Keith.

Jagger seemingly seems to get 'credit' for that, but we need to remember, taking it is actually him that does that, that (a) he is not a young guy any longer, and to keep his performance at 'Jagger level' asks much more of him than it did earlier, playing safe and certain routine numbers than more challenging ones is easier to him, (b) he might also learned during all these years what kind of numbers his targeted audience wants to hear when they enter a Rolling Stones concert (c) as a band leader he might also have a good picture what kind of numbers his band is good for and for which not so good for...

But we have to also note that the Stones from 1989 on have played a lot of 'odd' numbers from the past, continuing pretty much the model Jagger started in his late 80's solo tour. It looks that he then had for the first time ever a quick look at the Rolling Stones Song Book, before that just playing by memory, numbers from their recent album/s, added by some certain gems of the past that didn't die off...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-27 17:49 by Doxa.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 27, 2014 23:07

Still don't like it. Horrible sound, anonymous band. Rockers are quite flat. Sweet thing is the highlight. The slow numbers are good as always. All in all, She's the boss was something else!

Thank god Rubin never worked with the stones ...

C

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 28, 2014 12:30

Are you serious smiling smiley ?

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 28, 2014 13:24

Wild Slivovitz

100%!

I am not saying it's a bad creative work from Jagger's side. WS has some strong songwriting. The problem is with the production: the music doesn't have personality. It was too mainstream. And the band so anonymous. Too professional. Too perfect.

Boss was very 80s, but it had strong personality.

Primitive Cool (sorry Doxa) was bad. But at least it too had personality.

Rubin's forte might be to challenge the artists he works with (or to pick interesting projects), because his albums normally are strong. But with Jagger he empathized only the testosterone side of his character. The music is too loud, compressed, overthetop, tinny.

In comparison VL and Offender were fresh air!

C

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 28, 2014 16:39

liddas
Wild Slivovitz

100%!

I am not saying it's a bad creative work from Jagger's side. WS has some strong songwriting. The problem is with the production: the music doesn't have personality. It was too mainstream. And the band so anonymous. Too professional. Too perfect.

Rubin's forte might be to challenge the artists he works with (or to pick interesting projects), because his albums normally are strong. But with Jagger he empathized only the testosterone side of his character. The music is too loud, compressed, overthetop, tinny.

C

Opinions are opinions, but, sorry, this sounds like rubbish. Judging WS by production values or terms like "mainstream", "anonymity", "professionalism" or "perfection" is utterly pointless. It's the song material that counts, and this is incredibly strong, particularily compared to some Stones output of the 80's and 90's. I've said it before and I say it again: Released by the Stones, WS would have been hailed as a true masterpiece even by Jagger critics!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-28 16:44 by alimente.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 28, 2014 16:46

alimente
liddas
Wild Slivovitz

100%!

C

Opinions are opinions, but, sorry, this sounds like rubbish. Judging WS by production values or terms like "mainstream", "anonymity", "professionalism" or "perfection" is utterly pointless. It's the song material that counts, and this is incredibly strong, particularily compared to some Stones output of the 80's and 90's. I've said it before and I say it again: Released by the Stones, WS would have been hailed as a true masterpiece even by Jagger critics!

thumbs up

Date: April 28, 2014 17:23

If it had been a 10 song album, it would have been a masterpiece.

The following songs were unnecessary to include on the album, imo.

Mother Of A Man (standard "going nowhere filler" )
Hang On To Me Tonight (Pales in comparison with the other ballads)
Put Me In The Trash (standard "going nowhere filler" )
Think (One Withers-cover might have been enough?)

The rest of the album is top class. Evening Gown is up there with the best he's done ever!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-28 17:24 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 28, 2014 18:03

I feel very similar about the album and those 4 songs.
Strangely enough Jagger seemed to like them. Trash even made it onto his Best of.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 28, 2014 18:38

The best one by MJ. I like it, and it is the only Jagger album I like. But this one is really fantastic. Belongs to the best solo projects of any Stone and is on the same quality level as the last Ronnie solo album. It proves the song writing abilities of MJ.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home