Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 106
OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 17, 2014 16:50

Dunno if this is old news but just seen it.

Thanks to Udo for original story.

The Who

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-13 15:25 by bv.

OT: New Pete Townshend Song To Premiere April 30
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 17, 2014 15:32

New song by Pete for The Americans TV show

04 April 2014

Pete Townshend has written a new song “It Must Be Done” for the TV series “The Americans”. It is scheduled to be broadcast in an episode that airs April 30 on FX. Pete collaborated on the song with the shows composer, Nathan Barr. The song appears in a dramatic scene described as "sex and murder".

Billboard has posted the following interview with Pete that was conducted in his home studio in Richmond:

You spent a couple of months exchanging musical ideas before the song emerged. What was the starting point for you and Nathan?
What I was struck by was that Nate composes on the cello, an instrument my partner and orchestrator Rachel (Fuller) uses, so I have listened to a lot of cello music and I have really fallen in love with it. We exchanged ideas (between England and Los Angeles) and I was immediately struck by this very evocative piece he had written, very plaintive. I added some guitar, then came up with some lyrics.

Obviously you have collaborated with film and theater projects, not to mention the Who, but how does working this way stand out?
It's almost like jazz. I'm responding to something he wrote, he's responding to something I write, almost like live music. I was surprised by the intimacy.You're so focused on what is essential – there are no breaks for cups of coffee – and what seems like it should be impersonal and cold is quite the opposite.

What elements of the show did you want to incorporate into the song?
I wanted to keep it very simple. Here's this couple whose whole life is about duty, duty without honor, duty without explanation. There are no accolades.They're not living a lie but doing things they find hard to do. Everybody has a part of their life that's difficult to explain. For me it's why the @#$%& am I in the Who?

When it comes to licensing your music for shows such as "Californication," what makes you say yes to offers?
Long before I got into the matter of commercial publishing, it was obvious that I was someone who had spent his life writing these anthems and that they could help me pay for dangerously artistic things -- I wouldn't have spent my time touring constantly. In the early 1970s, I was one of the first to license for commercials and Roger Daltrey was perturbed by it. He wasn't angered by the license, but by licensing without tying the song to the master. Our music, the Who's records, were not being heard. I think I overreacted and for four or five years I stopped licensing songs. Then the Who's music went off the map. This was in the ‘80s -- '83, '84 -- it wasn't even on the radio. After awhile I thought let me try this again and I started licensing music and it has created an incredible interest in our work.

So much of it is through television. How would you compare it to film?
One thing I didn't get was how a handful of songs could get used a number of times and still don't feel overused. The music supervisor is dealing with the familiarity of the song. That's what's essential. It's not that it adds to storyline or the character, it's doing something for the setting. You hear so many great new songs on television. It's really quite amazing to hear a new song, a plaintive acoustic song that adds pathos and reflection to a scene. I believe, and I don't want to make too much out of it, it's why so many people want to work in TV. It's so much more exciting, so much freer than film. The music supervisors do their work weekly, living with new music and old music and they turn into musicologists. When Rachel went to L.A. she became friendly with (former head of music at Disney and Universal Pictures) Kathy Nelson who, when it comes to choosing a song, she just nailed it over and over. She listened to so much music. Music supervisors are the most passionate music fans. The only person I know who wants to hear as much as possible is Elton John. He's obsessive. He keeps at it and is able to talk about new music and who's in which band, a bit like a football fan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-17 15:33 by tatters.

Re: OT: New Pete Townshend Song To Premiere April 30
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2014 15:38

Thanks tatters

Re: OT: New Pete Townshend Song To Premiere April 30
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 17, 2014 16:36

Very cool. About time! Come on Townshend release a full album!

Re: O.T. The Who World Tour starting U.K. Christmas.
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 18, 2014 03:57

"I'm trying to [look] through my 20,000 hours of complete and utter disorganized music [to find possible songs]," Townshend adds. "I'll be pulling some songs out of [his long-gestating project] 'Floss' to give to Roger [Daltrey] to see if we've got enough to make an album. It might be a big waste of time, but I'm hoping there will be an album."

20,000 hours of music? Really? That's almost two and a half years. Maybe he was just being facetious ....

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:03

Great news about Pete being willing to work on a new album. I loved--and still love--Endless Wire, and am also enjoying the album that Roger has done with Wilko Johnson. Hopefully this next tour will not be their last major line-up of dates as they have indicated recently.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:30

Cool The Americans is a pretty darn good show.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: April 18, 2014 04:34

I love them. The guitarist is a bit dodgy though....

Date: April 18, 2014 04:42

<<The guitarist is a bit dodgy though....>>

And quite self-effacing, I am given to understand. grinning smiley

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 19, 2014 02:05

Yeah!! Thanks for the news, crawdaddy. Great Christmas present coming up for me, then smileys with beer

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 19, 2014 11:14

Yeah ! I agree Beast.

I think it was the last time I saw The Who,just before Christmas at that lovely venue Indigo O2 some years back now.

Remember seeing yourself,paulywaul,and a couple of others from IORR there.

Great night. >grinning smiley<

OT: The Who: New Live Album
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 20, 2014 00:46

It looks like The Who will release a new live album in June : Quadrophenia - Live in London

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Apparently a 5-CD version will be also available : [www.amazon.com]

[www.umusicemails.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-20 03:11 by kowalski.

Re: OT: The Who: New Live Album ?
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 20, 2014 00:59

Yawn... Pete and Roger can do as they please and I might attend a show or two but these tours are not The Who, which was something completely different.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 20, 2014 01:19

According to CDJapan description of Japan release :

"The contents of this release will be identical to the worldwide release, except for SHM-CD. Features The Who's concert held on July 8, 2013 at Wembley Arena in London from their "Quadrophenia and More Tour" held from June to July 2013. This Japanese edition includes two SHM-CDs (compatible with standard CD players). Consists of a Blu-ray (video), a DVD, a Blu-ray audio disc, and 2 SHM-CDs. Comes with a description and a sticker. Packaged in a can with motif of Vespa head light. *Please note that Blu-ray audio disc is compatible with Blu-ray players and includes only audio tracks. It is not compatible with standard CD players."

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

(Info borrowed from Steve Hoffman forums [forums.stevehoffman.tv] )

Date: April 20, 2014 01:20

<<these tours are not The Who, which was something completely different.>>

If Keith Moon were alive today, there is no way he would be playing at the level he did in 1975 or before anyway. Just be glad that Pete and Rog are still willing to tour and celebrate the catalog, and we should be grateful for that while it lasts. Same with the 50% original line-up of the Stones (including Stu), which today is "something completely different" from what it was in 1965, but is still great for what it is nonetheless.

Besides, Keith Moon didn't write the songs--unless you like I Need You and Cobwebs and Strange better than Won't Get Fooled Again, etc.

Date: April 20, 2014 02:18

Yes, there was an e-mail announcement a few days ago:

[www.umusicemails.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 20, 2014 02:34

stonehearted

If Keith Moon were alive today, there is no way he would be playing at the level he did in 1975 or before anyway. Just be glad that Pete and Rog are still willing to tour and celebrate the catalog, and we should be grateful for that while it lasts. Same with the 50% original line-up of the Stones (including Stu), which today is "something completely different" from what it was in 1965, but is still great for what it is nonetheless.

Besides, Keith Moon didn't write the songs--unless you like I Need You and Cobwebs and Strange better than Won't Get Fooled Again, etc.
Agreed completely. And you know what, if you see them you'll see they still play the material very well. And for young people like me, I'm happy I at least get to see 50% of them than never see them again, as is the case with someone like Zeppelin. I understand both sides of the argument, but I can sympathize with the Who continuing, particularly because its not band strife or anything. The other guys are dead, and they do great tributes to them at this Quadrophenia show, and I can justify that show more than if Keith and John were still alive but just not touring with the Who anymore, if that makes sense.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 20, 2014 02:43

I think Pete and Roger have earned the right to call themselves The Who. And this looks like a very cool release! Count me in!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 20, 2014 02:44

THere are a lot of shows from 79-80 with Kenny Jones that are dynamite. Doubt we'll see those. I saw the recent go-around with Quadrophenia. Liked the show but have no interest of it as a live album.

Date: April 20, 2014 02:49

RollingFreak
stonehearted

Agreed completely. And you know what, if you see them you'll see they still play the material very well. And for young people like me, I'm happy I at least get to see 50% of them than never see them again, as is the case with someone like Zeppelin. I understand both sides of the argument, but I can sympathize with the Who continuing, particularly because its not band strife or anything. The other guys are dead, and they do great tributes to them at this Quadrophenia show, and I can justify that show more than if Keith and John were still alive but just not touring with the Who anymore, if that makes sense.

I caught one of the Quadrophenia shows in 2012, and it was great, better even than the show I saw in 2006.

Not only should they release this on CD, but I would also love a DVD copy--just to have those images of that beautiful dark-haired mod girl shown on the video screens flashing that haunting smile in slow motion from a moonlit beach during Sea and Sand. It's great, too, that this release is recorded in London, with the mod boys delivering their ultimate tribute on their home ground.

Date: April 20, 2014 02:59

Its not 'The Who' anymore, but I'm afraid that its all that's left. Play on.

Date: April 20, 2014 03:03

^ For a few days I thought you actually were "that guy"--but it appears you're not. Oh, well.

Re: OT: The Who: New Live Album
Date: April 20, 2014 03:08

which guy? smiling smiley

Date: April 20, 2014 03:15

If people don't want to go for whatever reason, that's their problem. The rest of us LERVE seeing them whenever possible. I've lost count now but have yet to regret it and am looking forward to my Christmas treats thumbs up

Date: April 20, 2014 03:29

<Which guy?>

Oh, I don't know--the punk with the stutter? grinning smiley Doesn't matter really. We're all just the same (typewritten) characters here in this virtual place.

Thanks for the clip. So glad to see that it is indeed a concert film. Play on indeed. And on....

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 20, 2014 04:16

I have to say, when I went to see The Who last year, having never seen them before, I really wasn't expecting much. As others have pointed out, it's by no means "The Who" any more.

But it really was one of the biggest surprises I've ever had. Roger and Pete absolutely blew me away; probably one of the best shows I've seen, and in retrospect, I think I enjoyed it more than Macca.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-20 04:17 by Bastion.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 20, 2014 04:33

Bastion
But it really was one of the biggest surprises I've ever had. Roger and Pete absolutely blew me away; probably one of the best shows I've seen, and in retrospect, I think I enjoyed it more than Macca.
I don't think I liked it more than McCartney, but right? It was such a good show. I waited so long to see them and it was my one splurge concert of the year (since tickets were 150 or so). The Who or whats left was one of the last on my list of legends to check off and I was so beyond happy they didn't disappoint. I didn't think it would suck, but I didn't think it would be as good as it was, and I was so happy to leave the show and be able to honestly tell people Pete and Roger killed it.

Date: April 20, 2014 06:14

stonehearted
RollingFreak
stonehearted

I caught one of the Quadrophenia shows in 2012, and it was great, better even than the show I saw in 2006.

Not only should they release this on CD, but I would also love a DVD copy--just to have those images of that beautiful dark-haired mod girl shown on the video screens flashing that haunting smile in slow motion from a moonlit beach during Sea and Sand. It's great, too, that this release is recorded in London, with the mod boys delivering their ultimate tribute on their home ground.

i too want the visuals. looks like the dvds and blu ray releases are just audio.

Date: April 20, 2014 06:15

RollingFreak
Bastion
I don't think I liked it more than McCartney, but right? It was such a good show. I waited so long to see them and it was my one splurge concert of the year (since tickets were 150 or so). The Who or whats left was one of the last on my list of legends to check off and I was so beyond happy they didn't disappoint. I didn't think it would suck, but I didn't think it would be as good as it was, and I was so happy to leave the show and be able to honestly tell people Pete and Roger killed it.
What Pete and Roger do is pretty cool. Seen it a number of times... Macca's show is better simply because it's very focused, designed around Paul and the band is stadium designed. The Stones are a different game, still the legit band. Besides the 3 original members Ronnie and Bobby have been around for 40 years. Tim is a world class musician on B-3 as well sax. Chuck for all the joking round here is the best keyboard player money can buy. The Stones retain and are now progressing

Date: April 20, 2014 06:19

RollingFreak
Bastion
What Pete and Roger do is pretty cool. Seen it a number of times... Macca's show is better simply because it's very focused, designed around Paul and the band is stadium smooth. The Stones are a different game, still the legit band. Besides the 3 original members Ronnie and Bobby have been around for 40 years. Tim is a world class musician on B-3 as well sax. Chuck for all the joking round here is the best keyboard player money can buy. The Stones are a better band today than they were 20 years ago, the Mick Taylor cameos would be in comparison if Moon came out in the middle of today's Who show and played Magic Bus. Quad is a classic work of course but the story is still vague after all this time, Tommy, Who's Next, By The Numbers are more easy on the ears. There's been so many times Pete has pissed me off, touring while John's body was still warm, child porn and underage boy accusations, the wining about his hearing loss after 3 decades in front of 4 Hiwatts, loved him when I was a kid but now not so much. The Who are a power trio, later with Rabbit and Kenny Jones they still had some juice but the giant band is something else entirely. When Page and Plant toured they didn't call it Zeppelin because it wasn't and their tour was better because they respected their past accomplishment.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-20 06:34 by DoomandGloom.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home