Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: My 1st Rolling Stones Album was Tattoo You
Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 21:59

Tattoo You when I was 13. And I thought a couple of this boys are hot: Gorgeous Mick andhot smiley sizzling Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-17 00:10 by desertblues68.

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: April 16, 2014 22:27

Alef
Oh, those sweet memories.

I was 7 when I bought my first album, GRRR!. If my memory serves me right, it was in 2012.

Well, you're quite articulate for a 9-year old! (Yes, I'm assuming you meant 17 instead of 7, but who the hell knows?)

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 16, 2014 22:39

Well some guys grew up Undercover with Dirty Work!

My first? Was not an album but their greatest hit (to me: I had to have it!) Satisfaction.
I don't know if I got it already in '65 or '66..
I really 'discovered' the B-side a year later spinning smiley sticking its tongue out to find out that was a good one as well!

Aftermath was my first album (bought both versions).
BtB my last because I hardly like it. SW & VL are pretty good albums but the last two I like to forget. Just a couple of songs like MAWGJ, OOC and BOMH.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: April 16, 2014 22:39

Mine was "Some Girls"... bought the "Miss You" 12" pink vinyl first.. loved it so moved on to the album >grinning smiley<

Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: April 17, 2014 02:59

I got 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' at an indie record store. I never even heard the Stones, only about them from books I had on the Beatles. I put the record on and it was very exciting! The band had a loose raw energy, and it was kind of dark and mysterious at the same time even down to the purple label. The vocals were low in the mix but the guitars were driving. It was enough to make me get every album within 6 months and I was only 11.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 17, 2014 03:17

I think Hot Rocks was my first record. The first album I got was Let It Bleed or Some Girls. Hot Rocks made me dig into their catalog. I got a lot of albums for Christmas and Birthdays. Some of my all-time favorite presents.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 17, 2014 04:48

i was born in 1968, so was nearly 13 when tattoo you came out.

strangely i hadnt heard much of the rolling stones, i knew they were a band in the 60,s who possibly were on the go early 70,s but that was about it.

since the age of 5 around 1973 i was aware of the music scene, listened to the radio every morning before i went to school so became familiar with a lot of popular songs of the time, and for years i watched top of the pops, as a teenager listed to the charts every week and yet at this point was not aware the stones were still an active band who were still producing albums and hits.

why did i miss something.

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: April 17, 2014 16:24

When i heard the opening lines of Under MY Thumb from Still Life, suddenly my life was technicollor....

Posted by: artofstone ()
Date: April 17, 2014 19:48

varilla
When i heard the opening lines of Under MY Thumb from Still Life, suddenly my life was technicollor....

that's exactly what happened to me too!
my parents owned the album and taped it for me....
i was seven and heared it over and over...that was the beginning...

[exhibition on main st]

Posted by: varilla ()
Date: April 17, 2014 20:18

Now it may sound a little "commercial", but in 1982!!! Man, remember we had loads of rubbish sounding in every radio. True, The Police was around and Marley.
But those guitars!!!! Let´s Spend the night Together, etc it WAS awsome.
In a few months i can tell you i was the biggest Stone fan in my country, and i still am....

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 17, 2014 22:12

when i got into the stones in 1987, at 19, i felt i was the only one of my age group doing so, everyone else seemed just to go along with the crap that was around the pop scene then, and not long after folk slightly younger than me didnt look past rap or hiphop.

remember buying rolled gold in may 1988 and the wee lassie serving me started laughing with her work mate at my choice of music.

it appeared to me that the stones were very unhip in those days.

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: April 18, 2014 20:18

First album was Hot Rocks( I couldn't believe looking at the song list of this double album that every song was a classic when I bought it). My first studio album was TY. I was 14 and just coming into rock n roll. It was the time when the super groups would do massive shows(3 acts in one bill) but I was dead broke! I missed the '81/'82 tours of the Stones,Who,Police to great regret. You can imagine the euphoria I had when the Steel Wheels tour was announced(I have seen them multiple times on every tour since, in NYC)

One distinct memory when TY came out was going to the beach back in the day when everyone had their boom boxes tuned to one of the 2 rock stations and whenever a better song came on one station, hearing everyone else tune over to the same station (providing quadrophonic surround sound) to fill the beach with great sounding music..this happened whenever Start Me up came on to great Satisfaction(pun intended)...

Posted by: rockstones ()
Date: April 19, 2014 13:24

my first listen was get yer ya ya's out!i was 14!my own first was sticky fingers!and for the rest of my life i'm Rolling Stoned!!!!!

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 19, 2014 16:06

Tattoo You has a summer feel to it

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 19, 2014 16:13

coffeepotman
ER was the first and I just loved that poster that came with it, TY and a German boxset with all the early albums. I loved that boxset, I got it at a thrift store, not in the best shape but very cool

It was also my first stones album and remember hanging the poster up, and trying to figure out who was who, especially the one with the beard. I hadn't realized MJ had sported one at that time. I figured it was Bill!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 19, 2014 18:59

I grew up with my dad's Stones albums - LET IT BLEED, GYYYO! and the two HOT ROCKS releases. I don't know why he didn't have any other Stones albums. I listened to those when I could at home. 2000 Light Years on headphones and looking at the photos on MORE HOT ROCKS made me wonder if that's what it's like to be stoned.

Some girl in class asked me if I had seen Mick Jagger with his American flag cape. I had no idea what she was talking about. I eventually figured it out (it wasn't just a US flag either!).

I was elated when STILL LIFE came out. I got that and loved it. It sounded crisp and clean and fresh. It still does. It's a vibrant live album.

Hilariously I had not heard songs from STICKY FINGERS through EMOTIONAL RESCUE other than the songs on the radio - because I didn't know about those albums! When Undercover Of The Night came out I thought it was pretty cool. At that time I had heard Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) on the school bus radio and had seen the video for UOTN and thought, well, they both have 'doo doo''s in them so... I bought UNDERCOVER. I liked it - but it didn't have that song on it!

I finally figured it out. GOATS HEAD SOUP was the third Stones (studio) album I bought, and after that I went berserk. An uncle gave me his release of EXILE, I found all the rest of the 1970s albums and got all the 1960s albums as well.

To this day TATTOO YOU is still just as great as it was then only better since the Virgin reissue features a longer Slave.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 19, 2014 22:33

"Through the Past Darkly" - got it from my oldest brother.

I began listening to TTPD being 5 y.o.

Other, remember HTW cowbell in 1969.
It was engraved in to my brain and hence Stones fan the rest of my life.

TY is great - site 2 of the record has 5 wonderful songs.

Posted by: fela ()
Date: April 20, 2014 01:10

Tattoo You has a snow deep winter feel to it ..

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: April 20, 2014 01:28

NEWMAN
I was 6. Asked for Goat's Head Soup. My mother took me to Chinatown and gave me a bowl.

Very funny NEWMAN!

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: April 20, 2014 03:02

Seems alot of us have similar stories of our love of the Stones history. I was already a grown up when Tattoo came out though it's still one of my all time favorites. I have a lot of those and I really don't know which ones the tops for me? Loved all of them since around 1965 or so just some more than others. My least favorites are easier to list- First disappointment Between the Buttons, then Majesties. All great after that until I quess Emmotional Rescue or Undercover which ever came first, and than practically everything else they've done since 1981. Stripped and Circus not withstanding.
I don't know but they lost something in my humble opinion after the great Tattoo You and I've never again been in to them as I was until 1981. Didn't enjoy the records or the shows as much anymore and maybe it's a combination of thing's? They lost something and I got old, who know's?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 20, 2014 13:08

At the ripe old age of 13 I was thrilled beyond words to have scrounged up enough money to buy my very first LP - Goat's Head Soup. I'd already loved the Stones since I first heard them at age 5 and I haven't failed to feel a certain thrill whenever there's been a new Stones album to buy. Sadly that has not happened in almost ten years now (ABcool smiley but downloading Hyde Park Live came close!

Date: April 21, 2014 22:38

I remember going through my dad's CD collection (vinyl later), and finding those 1980s remastered copies of LIB, Hot Rocks, Bridges, Voodoo, Jump Back, and a copy of that Symphonic Tribute to the Stones (y'know, the one with Jagger on 'Angie'). If I'm remembering correctly, I kept jumping back & forth between HR Discs 1 & 2.

Date: April 22, 2014 04:47

Some Girls

Charles Baudelaire
1823-1867

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: April 22, 2014 15:56

Tattoo You was my 2nd Stones album. The 1st was 'The Very Best of The Rolling Stones'.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 22, 2014 16:19

It was all singles at the time-listening to singles and pirate radiostations. Some years later I picked up my first Beggars Banquet vinyl album and yes I like Tatoo You.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 22, 2014 17:13

Hi desertblues, with the best 10/12 outtakes available mixed by Chris Kimsey you could listen another Tatoo You!

[www.soundonsound.com]

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: April 23, 2014 13:19

The first Stones album I bought myself was Voodoo Lounge, as it was just released and I was a very new fan then. Next one was Singles Collection - The Decca Years. I was 18, had just seen my first Stones concert in Oslo (9 June 1995) and was thrilled finding this 3-CD box in Hastings, UK during summer language school.

However, the first album I listened to must have been their debut album, if not Out of our heads or No. 2. I found all the 60´s Stones records in my parents´vinyl collection (thanks, Dad!). :-) The first songs I remember loving were Can I get a witness and Off the hook.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 23, 2014 17:18

carlorossi
Alef
Oh, those sweet memories.

I was 7 when I bought my first album, GRRR!. If my memory serves me right, it was in 2012.

Well, you're quite articulate for a 9-year old! (Yes, I'm assuming you meant 17 instead of 7, but who the hell knows?)

...I was conceived when my parents first listened to A Bigger Bang together, my mama always tells me.
Hence the screenname...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 23, 2014 18:21

While cleaning up my old things this last weekend, I found my old Rolled Gold cassette: not exactly an "album", but in any case this was my first Stones!

C

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1663
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home