Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
My 1st Rolling Stones Album was Tattoo You
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 16, 2014 09:46

my friend and i were 14 or 15 years old at the time and we would go to the record shop every week just to listen to Tattoo You as we could not afford to buy the album.
I asked my family to buy it for me for Christmas.on Christmas day I opened the paper and got I my 1st Rolling Stones album Tattoo You.
I played it over and over and over again as i could not get enough of it.Tattoo You takes me back to 1981 every time I listen to it.

it is my fav Rolling Stones album.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Re: My 1st Rolling Stones Album was Tattoo You
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:10

I was a year or two younger, but the same story... the first album and asked for Xmas present...grinning smiley

Probably my most efficient, lasting and memorable Xmas present ever... The reason why I wanted that album was the video I saw of "Start Me Up" on telly. Made a huge impression and the album simply blew me away. Did nothing but listened it the whole holiday season. Hooked ever since.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 10:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:18

There must be three of us then since I have the same story. And the first cut is the deepest...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:31

Four. I was also 15 then, though I was already heavily into their sixties catalog by that point. Still, it was the first new Stones record that caught my attention, unlike Emotional Rescue the year before, which I only purchased for the first time a couple of years ago. Now I even have a CD of the Tattoo You demos. Pretty soon I'll even spring for the Tattoo You sessions. It was surely a classic for our time, which is really saying something, considering that we were second-generation fans. Not many other bands could claim that wide of a reach.

Posted by: Kaisan ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:34

My first album was Beggars Banquet, followed by Exile on Main Street - man, how I loved this stuff ... I heard Beggars Banquet every free hour, it was just perfect music for me. I was twelve or so, and I didn't heard that much music at this time. So Beggars Banquet is really something special for me, although I think Exile on Main Street is the better album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 10:35 by Kaisan.

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:48

I was 6. Asked for Goat's Head Soup. My mother took me to Chinatown and gave me a bowl.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 10:50

Aftermath......oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that came after, in Australia, the Route 66 EP !!!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 11:03

Rolled Gold
Love You Live
Some Girls

were my first 3
and I was 16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-16 11:04 by 1962.

Date: April 16, 2014 11:09

TY. The first track I heard was WAY. I was 11.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 12:50

in order:

hot rocks
tatoo you
beggar's banquet
sticky fingers
get yer ya-ya's out (the album that got me obsessed with them)
undercover (when it came out)
rolling stones, now
exile

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 16, 2014 12:57

My first record was actually a Tape: Get yer ya ya´s out.
The official MC, given to my by an elder brother of a friend.
It was 1970 and I was 9.
Listened to it over and over.
Made my own fantasies to the lyrics - cause I´m a German boy with no english lessons yet in this young age.
The first Stones roots were build!
Then I walked into a record store and saw the real album. Saw that drummer on a monkey. Thought it was funny. Turned the sleeve. Saw Mick. First time in my life. Saw Keith. Felt danger. Felt sexuality. Even if I didn´t know what this was.
Bought the album. The Stones Fan "Career" began.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:02

caschimann
It was 1970 and I was 9.
Made my own fantasies to the lyrics - cause I´m a German boy with no english lessons yet in this young age.
Then I walked into a record store and saw the real album. Saw that drummer on a monkey. Thought it was funny. Turned the sleeve. Saw Mick. First time in my life. Saw Keith. Felt danger. Felt sexuality. Even if I didn´t know what this was.

great story. i think ya-ya's is one of their best albums, and definitely best album cover!

Posted by: beno ()
Date: April 16, 2014 13:46

I was 15 when I heard the Stones for the 1st time from a Tattoo You tape. It was during a school trip on a coach in 1988. The tape was from my friend, whose father received it from Canada. We sat on this bus next to each other, and listened to the walkman of my friend, sharing earphones (left for my, right for him)... After a while we listened to it by sides (I was more into side A at that time, he already liked side cool smiley. Impression is lasting still.

Posted by: memofromdylan ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:12

12 years old when I bought my first Stones album, A Bigger Bang. I remember doing one of those consumer surveys at the mall when the guy noticed inside my bag and asked if it was the new Stones album. He wanted to rip the CD onto his laptop so I let him. I specifically remember another surveyor telling my guy to be sure to hold the shift key when ripping the CD for some reason. Anyway, bizarre how times change. I got a free movie ticket out of the deal. And ABB proved to be a great album. Then I discovered all the rest and I haven't been the same since.

Posted by: ozstonesfan ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:29

1981 MTV Start Me Up the rest is history! Cheers Andrew

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:39

caschimann
It was 1970 and I was 9.

Sorry: Donkey of course, not monkey :-)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 16, 2014 14:52

Tattoo You, to me, is like an old, dear friend. I just love that album. It's been sitting on my turntable for a while and whenever I am in the basement, there it is, waiting for me...usually on side two.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2014 15:45

First album I ever bought, followed by AC/DC's FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:11

worried about you is my fav Rolling Stones song.they way it starts then it just builds up and up then the way ends just cant seem to find my way

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:14

When I was 13 in 2005, the Bigger Bang album came out. However, that was not my introduction to the band. It was indeed Tattoo You. I would borrow from the library all the time. And I swear I listened to the same 3 or 4 songs over again everytime I had it. About a year ago I heard "Tops" and "Worried About You", the second one sounded familiar but didn't quite recall it. The first one I didn't think I even heard OF the song. Both pretty good in the end and shocked to find that they were on Tattoo You as I didn't remember them. IMHO, I think Tattoo You was their last good album.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:19

My 1st new release as a fan was Exile.

My 1st album was Got Live If you want it...And then Decembers Children.
Both albums my Mom got for me..
Funny I had no clue if they were new or old.. I loved them both.

My only regret was taking the post cards from Exile and taping
them to my wall.. Now they are gone...haha,

I still love Decembers children..

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:25

My first Stones records were Tattoo You and Steel Wheels (that was just been released at that time) and were bought on the same day. My mother didn't liked it, 'cause she thought I had to spent my money on "better things". New clothes and shoes, for instance. drinking smiley

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:26

My first was Hot Rocks - and I was instantly hooked. I was 19 and remember being angry and shocked (with myself) that I hadn't discovered them sooner! I couldn't stop playing the album and just wanted to buy all their albums as soon as possible. I was a student and couldn't afford anything else for a while but as soon as I could I started building up my collection.

I got into them just after they'd finished a tour....and it was such a fantastic experience when I did finally get to see them.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: April 16, 2014 16:41

My first was Sticky Fingers, which I 'borrowed' from my sister. Exile was the first album I ever purchased (it's been downhill ever since). I had Hot Rocks on both vinyl and cassette so I could listen to it in the car. Played it until the tape broke.

I still remember the day I brought Tattoo You home and thinking, wow, what a great and unique album.

Posted by: Alef ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:12

Oh, those sweet memories.

I was 7 when I bought my first album, GRRR!. If my memory serves me right, it was in 2012.

I've been a fan ever since.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:25

Christmas 1970. Ya Yas

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: April 16, 2014 17:51

Hot Rocks summer 90
Steel Wheels was next and then i bought the whole lot by next summer. Wonderful times, i've been addicted ever since.

Posted by: PaleRider ()
Date: April 16, 2014 18:11

sonomastone
in order:

hot rocks
tatoo you
beggar's banquet
sticky fingers
get yer ya-ya's out (the album that got me obsessed with them)
undercover (when it came out)
rolling stones, now
exile

Me, as well..I got Ya-Ya's first and listened to it for days staring at the back cover. Then came Hot Rocks followed by everything else...

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: April 16, 2014 20:57

ER was the first and I just loved that poster that came with it, TY and a German boxset with all the early albums. I loved that boxset, I got it at a thrift store, not in the best shape but very cool

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2014 21:52

When I was 12 I bought Made In The Shade when it was released in 1975.
Still have it, warts and all. thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1894
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home