Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:38

Just like it is hard to imagine a world without the Stones it will be difficult to imaginge a wold without AC/DC. For a certain generation of us they were always there, my first album was Highway to Hell and even though I wasn't a fanatic and didn't buy all there records I did have quite a few and have always enjoyed them.

Good luck to Malcom, here's to a strong and speedy recovery.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:38

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 15, 2014 18:13

Nothing official at this time.

Metal Hammer UK : "A press conference is expected tomorrow."

Yes, Malcolm Young is ill, for sure...

I'm sad and very very worried. sad smiley

Date: April 15, 2014 18:29

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:03

Very sad news indeed. Hope Malcolm gets well. I've always thought of him being the more interesting guitar player compared to Angus. His rhythm guitar is just marvelous. I thought I saw him walking past me at Heathrow in July 1989 but I was too shy to ask his autograph. On the other hand that could've easily been somebody else grinning smiley
And when talking about my favourite AC/DC LP that is the UK first version of Powerage.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:52

So sad to hear of Malcom's illness. Shows how lucky we are that Keith is still able to function after a very serious brain injury. Hoping for a speedy recovery for Malcom. Going to play It's a Long Way to the Top blaring out loud. Love those bagpipes.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 15, 2014 19:57

ACDC is a great band for sure and I prefer to wait for the official news...
The reason is that I read several posts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 20:03 by runaway.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:16

Wow. I still don't know what to make of this news.

Because AC/DC members have always been intensely private (aside from Brian Johnson) and avoid the media and limelight at all costs, b.s. rumors between albums and tours have always filled the void of real news.

There have been rumors of Brian Johnson having throat cancer between the Ballbreaker and Stiff Upper Lip tours, and of Malcolm having cancer at one point in the past. Neither turned out true.

So I usually take this news with a grain of salt, but this is starting to sound legit. Very sad if indeed true. AC/DC have always been #2 to me after the Stones.

I met Malcolm, Angus and Phil Rudd in 2000 after a show, and Malcolm couldn't have been more gracious and kind, even asking ME how the band sounded that night.

ME!

I was floored by that. He really asked me sincerely too.

Meeting 3/5 of the band was one of the highlights of my musical life. If it is indeed the end, they've given me so much joy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 20:17 by keefriff99.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 15, 2014 20:39

What a bummer.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 21:11

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 21:15

big4

Great song and album. Keith's favorite.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: April 15, 2014 21:56

Terrible news,best wishes to Malcolm.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:02

Something has happened for sure , but i wait for an official announcement from
the band because I am reading too many strange things, and honestly I don't trust them all

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:04

Rumors of AC/DC's imminent demise appear to be exaggerated.

Reports surfaced Monday in the group's native Australia that the quintet was on the verge of announcing its retirement due to one band member's (presumably guitarist Malcolm Young's) serious illness. But insiders tell Billboard that there's no truth to the rumor, though the group's management and Columbia Records, its current label, have chosen not to comment on the matter.

Australia's Noise11.com adds that the source of the retirement rumor was an email sent to Perth radio station 6PR from an anonymous tipster using the handle Thunderstruck. The station subsequently spread the word, setting off a flurry of reports first throughout Australia and then worldwide.

EARLIER: AC/DC 'Retirement' Rumors Rumble On Down Under

This is hardly the first time AC/DC has been rumored to be on the verge of calling it quits. Frontman Brian Johnson set off a furor in 2011 when he spoke of retirement, though he subsequently claimed to have been quoted out of context.

In fact, he told Billboard at the time that, "A journalist asked me once, 'What do you think about retirement, Brian, seeing as you're getting older?' I said something honest and quite naive; I said, 'Well, I'll retire when I can't do it anymore and as soon as I feel I can't do it anymore, then I'll retire.' Next thing I now there's a headline, 'Brian Johnson's gonna retire' and I'm like, 'Y'know, what a piece of shit that guy is.' And it came out all wrong so you got to be careful what you say. Retirement is like anything... There's a time when you have to call it quits. I don't want to do it, and if we can get out and (do) the album and do another short little tour or something, have a bit of fun, I'm your man. I'll be right there."

In fact, the retirement speculation ran counter to yet another report that will likely please fans more. According to The Australian, AC/DC has booked six weeks of studio time in Vancouver, to work on a follow-up to 2008's chart-topping, double-platinum "Black Ice, which was recorded there with producer Brendan O'Brien. Nobody in the band's camp is commenting on that, either, but earlier this year Johnson predicted that AC/DC would indeed be working on a new album as well as playing a 40-date tour to commemorate the group's 40th anniversary.

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:12

It seems that mark evans, son of the very 1st ac/dc singer, started to spread these news..but it is not the 1st time that he spreads unconfirmed news about the band. So, we'll see..

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:14

Gotta wait until something genuinely official comes out.

Rumours are no good to anyone. sad smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 15, 2014 23:50

crawdaddy

Gotta wait until something genuinely official comes out. Rumours are no good to anyone. sad smiley

Absolutely. Remembering this false rumor / misunderstood fact: [www.iorr.org] .

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2014 00:05

Yeah I had the "Charlie leaves" BS in mind... Today has been made of rumours, tomorrow will be made of facts.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: April 16, 2014 00:08

THANKS FOR THE MUSIC AC/DC.
YOU GUYS WERE THE DEFINITION OF ROCK.

Date: April 16, 2014 00:30

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 16, 2014 00:43

Unconfirmed info :

"Founding member, rhythm guitarist, co-producer and co-songwriter Malcolm Young had a stroke a few weeks ago, and upon regrouping with the band to rehearse discovered he could no longer play guitar up to snuff.

While his brother Angus is the more famous Young, Malcolm started the band, wrote a number of their greatest hits and is considered the band’s main driving force. Friends and family report that the band has decided to call it quits rather than soldier on without Malcolm"
[www.metalsucks.net]

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 16, 2014 00:49

andrea66
Something has happened for sure , but i wait for an official announcement from
the band because I am reading too many strange things, and honestly I don't trust them all

Me too.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 01:04

I was never a fan until I saw them at Sarstock and witnessed how good they were as a live act. They blew away several other top groups, including the Stones and Rush and the original line-up of the Guess Who. (To be fair, every band that day was better than the Stones, who were just off).

Dave Davies of the Kinks suffered a stroke and by most reports has recovered and is recording and touring. I hope Malcolm can do the same.

Aging takes a toll on everyone. But there is something especially tragic about seeing someone lose their ability to to something they seemed to so love doing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 16, 2014 01:24

THE AUSTRALIAN ..... 16 April 2014

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: April 16, 2014 05:00

Damn, they're a bucket list band for me.

I'm scratching 3 others off the list this year, Springsteen, Billy Joel and Fleetwood Mac. I've seen just about all of the "legends" but AC/DC may end up being one to escape me. I hope not.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: April 16, 2014 05:12

First and foremost, the important thing is that Malcom gets well but I am disappointed in myself for never going to see them. I always wanted to see them in Argentina with the crazy fans!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 16, 2014 06:42

Thank you Rockman. I can say I've seen em three times. WOW.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: April 16, 2014 06:44

Much ado about nothing

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 16, 2014 07:51

It's pretty horrific the mileage this story is getting based on 1) an anonymous email, 2) an "entertainment commentator", 3) the son of a long-gone lead singer, and 4) a former label-mate.

Having said that, the Sydney Morning Herald is now reporting - based on a source who knows the family:

Although it is unclear what diagnosis the family has received on Young's condition, a source who knows the family has told Fairfax that Young's condition has deteriorated so badly his wife Linda and family were investigating full-time respite care for the once-powerhouse guitarist.

It is understood Young returned to Sydney with his family before Christmas and was having in-home care at his house in East Balmain. He is now said to be having difficulty remembering familiar faces and having increasing problems communicating.

"His memory loss is so bad it is consistent with Alzheimers or dementia although we do not know that is what it is. There has been talk about cancer too."

[www.smh.com.au]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 16, 2014 07:52

sad smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2029
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home